Century 21 Department Stores

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

1.6

Sales Cashier Interview

Applied on thanksgiving and got called in for an interview within a week. It was a group interview with three simple questions and I was offered a position on spot

Interview Questions
  • What is the most difficult thing you have ever encountered at work or at school and how did you overcome that difficulty   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Century 21 Department Stores

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

3 part hiring process.

First is a generic online screening process - don't worry about honesty, focus on getting the right answer. Chances are the managers don't even look at your answers in the online screen process - its just a tool to let managers know which applicant to contact.

Second part is a group testing after being told to wait in the employee's cafeteria where you're given a sheet that asks you simple math related questions regarding money. For example, you're given X amounts of money for a cost total of Y, how much do you give back?

Third part is a group interview where you're taken to a room with other applicants who applied for various positions in the store. While most interviewers would use these opportunities to know more about an applicant, it was more like another online screening used to further remove potential applicants rather than find the right one which is an understandable method given the volume of interviews they probably have to go through. Reflecting back, they do not care for how skilled you are (as long as you passed that test they gave you, it doesn't matter if you understand multidimension calculus or quantum mechanics), your high work ethics, or how enthusiastic you are about the position. The interviewer only seemed to care about further weeding out applicants to simply find ones who are willing to work and follow the rules.

Their hiring rate is extremely high compare to many other companies, but their retention rate isn't that great according to my friends. While its an easy place to get customer service experience for other positions one may be interested in such as in banking, you got to make sure you watch out for yourself at all times which is different than when I worked in HVAC where one worked as a team.

Interview Questions
    • In the third part of the interviewing process, the interviewer/manager asks one to explain a time when one had to break/bend a rule. I told her of how I stayed OT when I worked with kids in an afterschool program who's parents were late at picking them up after I had already signed out because it was not really appropriate to leave children alone and bored as it affects their trust in people. Although I didn't really break any rules other than working OT without pay, THEY DO NOT WANT RULE BREAKERS!   Answer Question

Sales Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in May 2014.

I was a bit late to the interview but once I got there I had to wait an hour to be called. Since I was one of the last people, I didn't have to deal with the group interview, it was just me and someone else. The interviewer asked us some questions that we may deal with in the store. After that she told me the day of orientation and my pay. Overall the interview process was easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in April 2014.

One week at work force, then another week the first interview with the head of hr. I was asked to come back for a second with the head of there department and was hire the same day. Asking questions like where would you be in the store in fife years, how did you hear of us, what would you like to develop in the company and of course if the interviewer had any questions for him/her.

Interview Questions
    • I would say the interview with the head of department was a slight bit hard. When I forgot the last time I visited a century store.   Answer Question
    I asked if there was overpay and it was not given to part timers, a set pay and time slot so overpay would be avoided.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in August 2013.

They have you come in the same entrance of the current employees, so you catch a glimpse of how everyone starts their day. you sit in a their break room. when i went there was about 15 to 20 candidates. i didn't expect so much people. After a while you are brought into one of the HR rooms for a test to assess your skills in math. They want to know how well you are in addition and subtraction as well in what denomination you provide change to customesr. It takes about 10 minutes the most to complete. After there's a group interview consisting of yourself and 4 others. They ask really basic questions. It's like you're having a little conversation. They seem not really have to do with acquiring a job but i assume that you should have your answers be job-related for brownie points.

Questions she asked: "How did you find out about this job?" "What was you're greatest achievement in school or work?" "Talk about your most difficult moment in school or work."

There was one more question but I forgot. Nonetheless. the questions were pretty simple.

At the end of the interview, she asked about our availability and I get the feeling that's what really mattered. Seems like if you're open for any shift, that it's a plus.

There wasn't one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in August 2013.

You go in, the women tells you about their hourly rate their hours and asks you what days you're available, she gives you a schedule and day for training

It was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Came in with a group of 5 others.Had us take a math question. Basic addition, subtraction and percent questions. Also how many bills you will give for a total of $5.45 for example.
    One by one people were called in for interview. I was second to last person called in and the only one told to stay back for an additional interview. I was hired on the spot and told to wait for a call about the orientation. The call took about two weeks.
    Questions asked were the days I was available. Whether I would prefer the sales or cashier postion. Which I answered "I could do both jobs but if I had to choose sales associate."

Interview Questions
    • What are three words that describe you? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    Nope minimal wage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in February 2013.

Through Brooklyn workforce1 got the opportunity to complete an application, math assessment and then got an interview date.Showed up along with a group of 30 plus ppl did another math test. Got called in a group interview asked simple question e.g. what has been your most successful achievement...how have you demonstrate work ethic in your studies or work life...can't remember exactly....anyhow took about two weeks for them to contact me for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • None just don't be stupid and you're fine...the interview process is quite informal so no pressure just show team work by allowing others to talk but at the same time be confident and answer your questions smartly.   View Answer
    No negotiation...it's a bottom feeder position...tek whuh yuh get or accept what is offered to you or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Century 21 Department Stores.

Pretty easy. Nothing spectacular. Your basic interview questions.

What's your biggest weakness?
    What are you studying for in school?
    Why do you want to work at Century 21 Department Store?
    Do you shop here often?

I took a math assessment that a 4th grader could've passed and got hired right after the interview. The place pretty much hires anyone and don't care about who works there, just that they have open availability. They want you to work like a dog.

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate anything really, besides your schedule if school conflicts or something of that sort.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Century 21 Department Stores in September 2012.

Went to Workforce 1 to take the math skills test and fill out the online application. After 3 weeks, I heard back from Century 21 for my interview. Before the group interview, we had to take the math skills test again and fill out some paperwork. After everyone was finished, we moved to the training room for the group interview. The group interview wasn't difficult. All you have to do is speak up, speak clearly, and highlight past jobs or school activities (if you are either in high school or college) and look interested in what a HR rep and the other people in the group interview and that's it. That's how I got hired.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions that seemed difficult for me. Basically, you had to show that you are a self starter and show initiative.   Answer Question
    Century 21 gives you $7.25/hour to start. The HR rep stated that the wages are nonnegotiable which is bad but I just wanted to get a job to get moving, meet people, build up my resume and get some money before going back to college to finish my degree.