Cepheid Software Engineering Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cepheid in August 2011.

I was contacted by Cepheid through linkedin. I spoke with an internal recruiter on the phone, was sent a couple of questionnaires to fill out regarding my skill level, and was set up with a phone interview with a couple of members on the software engineering team.

The phone interview went really well. They mainly asked questions about Java threads, how I felt about working on backend/non web-based code and why I was leaving my current company. I got the sense that they were trying to determine if I left my previous company because of personal issues and if they could get me to say anything bad about my previous employer, which I would not do. They asked for sample Java code that I developed in the past which I happily provided to them.

A day afterwards the recruiter called to tell me that the phone interview went well and that they were going to set me up with a personal interview. A coordinator called me during that day to set me up. The coordinator told me that they would send me a schedule of the people that I would talking to later that day. The recruiter also called later to say she was looking forward to meeting with me and then gave me another assignment that took a couple of hours. I felt I did a very good job on the assignment. I was again told by the recruiter that she looked forward to meeting with me. I filled in a CDA and sent it back.

The coordinator never called me back. My e-mails and phone messages were never returned. This was very unprofessional. A couple of days after the interview was supposed to happen I got a call from the recruiter saying that they never set up an interview and they decided to pursue a candidate with more skills (of course, this was totally untrue. I have documented e-mails and voicemails clearly stating that I would be coming in for an interview and had already signed the CDA indicating which day I would be coming in). I wrote an e-mail to them a couple days later documenting this fact and telling them that I felt the way the last few days were handled were very unprofessional.

Finally, six days later, I recieved a response from Cepheid. It was essentially a standard e-mail thanking me for the work that I had done and seemed to indicate that there was a communication problem on their side (I assume for not getting back to me sooner though they weren't very clear). Other than that, I wasn't very satisfied with their response. They never let me know why they abrubtly terminated contact with me. I'm sure it wasn't anything technical since I'm positive I answered all the exercises in a clear and correct fashion. I would have had no problem discussing my solution with other software engineers had I been brought in for an interview. But, they never let me know any reasons. They never let me know whey they didn't set up the interview after telling me that I was coming in or anything else for that matter.

Overall, my experience was very negative. If I was asked by another software engineer if they should interview here, I would have to respond negatively. They'll put you through a lot of work, and even if you feel that you answered every question, correctly answered every exercise, jumped through all the hoops they threw at you, and told you of their positive impressions of you, they'll drop you before the interview begins (even when they tell you that you're being set up for an interview).

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cepheid

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cepheid in August 2011.

I heard about this opportunity through a friend, who forwarded my resume to the recruiter. They set up a phone interview, which went very well. The recruiter sent me a bunch of paperwork to fill out, and set up an in-person interview for the following week.

The day before I was supposed to go in, the recruiter calls me up late afternoon (4pm or so), telling me that she sent me an email requesting code samples and to complete a programming assignment that was due the next morning at 8am. This was spoken to me in a very demanding and confrontational fashion, and very unprofessional.

Here's the problem - I had professional engagements that evening and wouldn't be able to work on the assignment. The recruiter's response was "we have to reschedule the interview". When I inquired for more information, she stated that they always send out the assignment the night before the interview, and their policy is to reschedule if it can't be completed. Huh?

There was no previous discussion about an assignment until the afternoon before the interview, so you get the "pop quiz!" treatment. These assignments are never time sensitive, and they could've easily sent it to me the previous week, or at least asked if I was able to work on it the day before the interview.

After thinking about it, I declined and moved forward with to pursue other options. Why should I have to drop anchor for them and go through hoops like a circus animal, before I even start working there? Who knows what it's like working there...

Like a previous reviewer here, I would never recommend that company because of all the hoops that you have to jump through. BTW, I'm glad that I never did fill out the paperwork she sent me earlier.

Interview Questions
    • Various C# and C++ trivia questions you can answer on Google in 10 seconds...   Answer Question