Cerner

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – The campus recruiting process was so easy I didn't know if that was really it!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to argue for your beliefs.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Cerner in December 2013.

Interview Details – Basically they scheduled a phone interview the day after I applied online and then before she hung up with me she scheduled an in person interview at experience cerner day for the following friday. At experience cerner day they go through a powerpoint and basically sell the company to you and then there are two 30 minute interviews back to back.

Interview Question – They asked a lot about how you currently or have in the past used innovation or technology to solve a problem, they asked that over and over in different ways so have lots of examples.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in September 2011.

Interview Details – Received a cold call from what seemed like a recruiting call center - I had applied for an internship over 3 years ago! But luckily, I happened to be job searching at the time.

After a screening with the HR recruiter, they flew me out to Kansas City for a day of on-site interviews. They were very accommodating with the travel arrangements, including a limo service from the airport to the hotel and a $50 AMEX gift card as reimbursement.

There was a good size group (maybe about 10 others) rotating through interviews that day, 3 very standard behavioral interviews.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low salary, no desire to live in Kansas city

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in August 2008.

Interview Details – I was flown from Chicago to Kansas City for the 1:1 interview after passing an initial phone interview. Upon arrival in KC I was met by a private driver in a towncar and driven to the campus. The interview proceeded through 5 individuals. After it was over, I was driven back to a hotel (it was late) and housed at the Hyatt and given dinner. I flew home the next day and was offered the job 3 days later.

Interview Question – Regarding the most difficult decision maker / boss / executive you have ever worked for, describe several instances of conflict and how you handled them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary was significantly more than I was currently making and I did not negotiate the already generous offer.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from a recruiter at the beginning of the interview. The recruiter asked me basic questions pertaining to my resume and she seemed impressed with me so she offered to fly me to their headquarters for a face-to-face interview two weeks later. I flew in on a Thursday night from Orlando and stayed at the Hyatt, which was a nice hotel. I was picked up by a driver who took myself and another individual to Cerner. Once I arrived, I was taken to a room to be interviewed by three different people. The questions were behavioral questions. Each person interviewed me one by one. After the interview we were taken on a tour and then to another room in a group for a presentation about the job position. It was a good experience.

Kansas City, MO

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to the website and was contacted by a recruiter about a week later. She set up a phone interview via e-mail, and it went well. She told me that she'd be in contact with me soon to set up an in-person interview. About 2 weeks later, she sent me another e-mail to set up the interview. This process was very organized. The day before I was sent directions, was told to dress in business attire, and was given directions of what to do when I got there, and the names of the people I would be interviewing with. I was to interview with 3 people. Once I arrived, I was greeted by the support specialist who was extremely nice. She took me to the room I was going to interview in, and i interviewed with the 1st manager, and the 2nd manager thereafter. Each interview was about 25-30 minutes of hypothetical questions. I was then informed that the 3rd manager couldn't make it, and I would here a decision by the end of the week. I never heard back from the recruiter. All in all, it was a pretty neutral experience.

Interview Question – How would you get someone resistant to change to adapt to new technology?   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in February 2012.

Interview Details – Consisted of one detailed telephone interview and 2 one on one interviews. One was a behavioral interview, and the other was a traditional resume-driven interview.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where the requirements of a project changed, but the deadline did not. How did resolve this?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salaries are not very negotiable starting out because they are standardized

Kansas City, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in February 2012.

Interview Details – Had a first round phone interview before being invited out to the campus for the second round. The phone interview was low stress, started by asking me to describe some of my previous experiences (skills they required, what I learned from them, etc). The hr rep went on to ask two behavioral questions, after which he invited me out for a second round interview and started taking information for travel accommodations. I haven't made it out for the Cerner experience interview yet, but I'm told it involves a tour of KC and dinner the day I fly in and 3 interviews the next day (about an hour and a half) with a tour of the Cerner headquarters and a few information sessions. The day is over by 2pm and you're on your way home by the early evening.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation where you had to deliver bad news to a superior.   Answer Question
  • Describe the approach you took in a situation where you were required to teach something to one of your peers.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in September 2011.

Interview Details – I initially received a phone call to set up an interview. This call consisted of a few basic questions, mostly if you were still interested in the job. The second phone interview was entirely behavioral questions--overall, pretty easy. They then flew me out to Kansas City, MO for a final interview. The interview consisted of 3 1:1 interviews. Everyone was extremely friendly, and the interview went well. After returning home, I received an email stating that they were still going through the "approval process" and I would be contacted the next week. After not hearing from them for over a week, I contacted my recruiter, who made me feel like I had pretty much been guaranteed a job. She once again did not contact me within the time frame, so I called her again. Ultimately, she told me that they did not have any openings, but I was encouraged to reapply. Everyone was extremely friendly, but after the interview process, you need to stay in contact with your recruiter, otherwise you may be forgotten! Despite all the frustration, I still admire this company, and do not speak a bad word of them.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult person (customer, coworker, or classmate).   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in September 2011.

Interview Details – Got contacted by a recruiter out of the blue, ostensibly he got my information through LinkedIn. Scheduled a phone interview with another recruiter for the following week. This was a behavioral interview with an HR person. I wasn't too excited about it for this fact -- I hate talking to HR people; it's so fake, they know that you have answers prepared for their questions, and you know they have answers prepared for whatever questions you may ask. It's just a formality that everyone must go through I guess.

Anyway, she asked me basic STAR questions. Describe a situation, how you acted, and what the results were to questions like "Describe a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty." and "Describe a time when you had to prioritize many tasks with different deadlines." Really pretty silly questions but whatever. I thought I absolutely aced the interview. I went to a top 5 university and graduated with high honors and have an impeccable academic record, but received an e-mail this morning saying they're not moving forward with my application. I am kind of shocked but it's OK -- I didn't want this position anyway. The impression I got was that it's going to be 65 hours per week, tons of travel, and to add insult to injury, the salary is nothing to write home about.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer or team member.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you had to meet many deadlines and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner Delivery Consultant interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees and interview candidates.