Cerner Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015
Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.6

Academy Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

First Round:
    I have applied though the career website and received an email from a recruiter to schedule a telephonic interview. In this one I was asked very basic HR questions which are mentioned in the "Interview Questions" section:
    Then he told about the “Academy Learning” program for the new hires. And asked whether if I had any questions. After that he told me schedule an appointment for a video call with an engineer.

Second Round:
    This round was conducted using a tool called HireValue which allows video calling and online code editor. The Engineer who interviewed me first talk about the company and life at CERNER. Then he asked the following questions which are mentioned in the "Interview Questions" section

After that I was given a chance to ask some questions. Still waiting for the result.

My Suggestion: Be 100% prepared for all the questions posted on Glassdoor and improve your design skills for questions like design a class for allergy, person.

Wish you all the very best :)

Interview Questions
    • First Round:
      1) Tell me about yourself
      2) Why Cerner?
      3) What was your experience at your internship?
      4) Do you need any sponsorship?
      5) When will you graduate?

Second Round:
      1) Tell about a project you are most proud of
      2) When did you take feedback from others? What were the results?
      3) Explain any project who had worked on?
      4) How do you approach if a client encountered an error in the application?
      5) How do you approach if a client encountered multiple errors in the application?
      6) Design a class which stores information related to an allergy which includes symptoms, who reported the allergy, severity etc.
      7) Design a class which stores demographic information of a person like name, address, phone number, male/female. What if the person has any prefix to the name, multiple phone numbers/addresses, how will you handle dob in case of multiple locations(If a person is both at 12 PM in USA on a date, then that date is different from date in India), how will you handle the validations of these fields when the user enters the values
      8) What is your favorite data structure? I told Linked List and Binary Search Tree. Then he asked me to write the representation of the word CERNER in the form of Binary Search Tree.
      9) What are your favorite programming languages?
      10) Tell me about your internship experience.
      11) Tell me how you were able to work in a new company and get used to that culture?
      12) Tell me your experience in learning new technologies and the difficulties you faced during that.

View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

I was contacted by a Senior level HR recruiter. This individual was very friendly and professional. I was shortly moved onto a phone interview and then in person interview. My hotel was paid for by the company and my travel expenses reimbursed.

The phone interview was mostly about basic review and verification of your resume. This also involved rating your own skills on a scale.

The in person interview consisted of three individuals. Each will ask you the general stars questions and technical questions. They also explained what their teams/positions did and what the company does.

Support Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Applied online and a recruiter called me the next day. Scheduled a phone interview which was mostly talking about the position and company with a few behavioral questions. I got offer a virtual interview which consisted of three 30 minute behavioral style interview questions. I received an offer but declined due to location. The whole interview process was easy and everyone was nice.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you had a problem, how did you solve it and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Engagement Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner.

rapid response, human resources took care of you, thought the interviewers asked some inappropriate questions that pointed to discrimination against older workers. They send a prepaid visa to pay for gas and things. Recruiters were very knowledgeable about the company and the job opening. When I arrived I was taken to an interview room, with bottled water, a pad and paper and a brochure that described the various benefits available along with the costs (if any). The interivew took a day. They provided lunch (the cafeteria in the main campus is excellent).

Interview Questions
    • "How would you respond if your much younger co workers wanted to go out on the town after a hard day's work at a client site?" I felt that this questions was highly inappropriate to ask in an interview situation and showed the general age discrimination prevalent in the company.   View Answer

Academy Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cerner.

I am referred by an Cerner employee for job 7882(Academy Software Engineer). I received an email from HR last friday and set up a basic phone interview 4 days later. The interview was mainly about personal details, like: GPA, major, willing to relocate or not. Then he let me explain my previous job and leave reason. After that he let me explain one of my personal project. In the end, he asked me if I had any questions for him.

This is a pretty basic interview and I hope I can get to the second round phone interview because I am good at java programming and behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the reason you left the previous company?   View Answer
    • Tell me the previous project you have done or tools you used like StackOverflow?   View Answer

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner.

Entirely behavioral interview consisting of 3 interviews. Typically they'll cycle 3 people through 3 different interviews for 30 minutes. This is fairly easy and they seem to use just about anyone across the company to conduct these interviews. Overall it's pleasant and either occurs on campus or at their facility. Once this take place, if you're a college hire they provide an "experience cerner" day where you show up to campus and walk around.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when....and they expect you to articulate a time when a situation occured   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

I applied online received an email with in a week from the HR team to schedule the phone interview for the HR round which was mostly related to the behavioral questions and discussing the resume.
    HR was very helpful and told to get back within a week for the future rounds expecting to get to the second round HR was very nice and humble. I would say be prepared for the lots of behavioral questions and be tho-row with your resume.

Technical Solution Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

1. Contacted by the Senior recruiter through LinkedIn
    2. Sent email from recruiter to join their System Engineer team with Cerner
    3. I then scheduled a phone interview to discuss my resume and what position I am looking for.
    4. They asked if I wanted to Software Engineer role or Technical solutions analyst role. Chose the second.
    5. Two days later, they emailed me and see if they can fly me out to Kansas city.
    6. The following Thursday got on a plane to Kansas city. Picked up by driver and taken to hotel.
    7. Hotel was astounding. Watched some tv to calm my nerves.
    8. Interview was the following morning at 9.
    9. Left hotel with driver at 8:15 and other candidates being interviewed for the same position.

10. Interview ( Interview by 2 people – 30 minutes each)
    a. STAR Questioning
    i. S –Situation: Describe the situation
    ii. T- Task: Explain the Task and what YOU did
    iii. A – Action: Describe the action and be sure to focus on you.
    iv. R- Results: What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish
    b. Examples
    i. What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example
    ii. Tell me about a difficult decision you've made in the last year
    iii. Describe a specific problem you solved for your employer. How did you approach the problem? What role did others play? What was the outcome?

11. Toured the building following the interview.
    12. Had lunch and a PowerPoint presentation about the company and it benefits.
    13. After the interview taken to airport for my flight out.
    NOTE: Research behavioral questions that are usually asked in the support role. Then write the answers and review them. Try to recall projects you did and always make sure you explain what you did. If it is a team project you are always the leader.

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult client or customer and how did you deal with them.   Answer Question
    Salary was non-negotiable.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in February 2015.

The company contacted me via linked-in. Started with a phone interview to see if I was interested in a position. After the 30 min phone interview I was asked when would be a good time to come and have a face to face interview. They paid for the hotel and reimbursed with gift cards for gas and mileage. it was a half day of 3 different interviews for 3 different people for 3 different positions within the company. Overall they seemed like standard interview questions with only a few technical questions overall.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview STAR questions and some technical questions.   View Answer

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in February 2015.

First had a phone interview asking to explain my resume and one behavioral question regarding what I would do in a certain situation. Was immediately invited for an interview on site for the following week. Was flown up for the onsite interview and put in a nice hotel for the night. Had a tour of the city the night before the interviews and a dinner with some current employees. The day of the interview had two back to back thirty minute interviews with current employees that asked all behavioral questions. Interviewed on a Friday heard back on a Tuesday so very fast turn around.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?
      Behavioral questions... Tell me about a time when...?

View Answer