Cerner Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Applied through website. Got an email from HR to schedule a phone interview. Asked basic questions on data structures and testing. Then got an email to interview on-site. 2 interviews on site; each around 1 hr. Many questions such as OO concepts, data structures; wrote a basic program (divide by 5, 7)... Many behavioral questions focusing on past experience.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate and you will get an increase.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

The interviewer actually tested on OOPS concepts and how to implement the same for a game and also asked on stargeies used to test your code and how to go about debugging the saem .

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Very professional and organized process. They excel at hiring and interviews.Starts with HR phone screening then phone interviews with management followed by a paid trip to Kansas City. Three managers conduct the interviews and then you present a powerpoint presentation on the subject of your choice to demonstrate public speaking skills.

Interview Questions
    • I believe the equipment was purposely tampered with during the presentation to assess coping skills under stressful situations.   View Answer
    Negotiations were very professional and successful.

Trainer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

This was a very bad interview experience for me. Someone from HR contacted me in mid June asking for an interview and asked when I would be available for a phone call. I sent back my availability and he never responded. I followed up three times before finally getting an answer on his side asking me for a phone interview in early July.

The phone interview was very basic. I have no idea how they used it as a selection criteria. The questions were simple like my highest level of education, my years of work experience, was I American.

After the phone interview the HR guy never got back to me. Two weeks later I followed up with him. No answer. A week after that I e-mailed him again. This time he answered asking me again for my salary expectations and claiming that he had been too busy to answer my previous e-mails.

I answered. But then again I heard nothing for two more weeks. Finally in mid August I e-mailed him using rather aggressive language demanding to know if/when a decision would be made and could he tell me my status. He answered within five minutes saying that sorry he had forgotten to tell me that they filled the position weeks ago.

Interview Questions
    • What is your highest level of education? Can you do this job?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Cerner in August 2014.

Was a general telephonic HR interview.Waiting for next round.Faced number of questions regarding previous job experience,Agile methodologies, knowledge of testing, what do I do in free time,able to relocate or not?Domain of expertise

Delivery Consultant Interview

Submit cover letter and resume with application; college campus interview / phone interview; on-Cerner-campus interview with behavioral interview focus

Offered a position and salary within 2 weeks. Given a couple weeks to decide and choose start date that works well with current employment / plans.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a policy or decision by a superior and what you did.   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Phone call with HR, then a week later phone call with an engineer. Was invited up, was promised a tour of the city, never happened. Interview with two engineers on site was annoying, they never made eye contact, boring stale questions all of which are glassdoor. Lunch was horrible, sandwiches, and two nerdy engineers with no personality. HR recruiter couldn't answer any questions about commuter tax, played with her cellphone the entire time. I received a verbal no 3 weeks later, was told two days I had almost given up. When asked to help me understand what areas I needed to improve, the recruiter couldn't explain and rushed me off the phone.

Overall I was left with feeling that this is a cocky young culture company that will work you to the bone. I was impressed with Cerner before I had my onsite, seeing it changed my mind. I would not want to work for them, the money is good however the hours will be long so you won't get to enjoy it.

I recommend looking at other EHR vendors who are private such as EPIC. Cerner just bought Siemens Health and now their heads are swollen. its not a good place for a long term career.

I am surprised that a company this prestigious would have such a horrible HR recruiter, I am so disappointed that I have a bitter taste, truly proves the point that you have to go and see the company and people before you decide.

Interview Questions
    • All group and behavioral questions, the tech questions could be answered by a second grader.   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Applied online
    Then email from a recruiter
    Then pre screening call
    Phone technical Interview
    Onsite Campus Visit with 2 back to back Technical Interviews.
    Waited 2 weeks to hear back

The technical interview is flawed, the systems engineer was very cocky but the second software engineer was nicer and had a good personality.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Had a phone interview that went well. The following week I traveled to Kansas City to go to an in-person interview. The interview was with three different people back to back. It was almost 3 hours long. Overall, very intense interview.

Interview Questions

The environment seemed very stiff and I did not feel like I would enjoy working there. Plus, I have heard horror stories from past employees on how they work you like a dog.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
    The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
    I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
    The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
    The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
    Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
    Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
    One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
    My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
    I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
    They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Questions
    • When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   View Answer
    I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!