Cerner Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
615 interviews

2.6

Delivery Consultant Interview

Submit cover letter and resume with application; college campus interview / phone interview; on-Cerner-campus interview with behavioral interview focus

Offered a position and salary within 2 weeks. Given a couple weeks to decide and choose start date that works well with current employment / plans.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a policy or decision by a superior and what you did.   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Phone call with HR, then a week later phone call with an engineer. Was invited up, was promised a tour of the city, never happened. Interview with two engineers on site was annoying, they never made eye contact, boring stale questions all of which are glassdoor. Lunch was horrible, sandwiches, and two nerdy engineers with no personality. HR recruiter couldn't answer any questions about commuter tax, played with her cellphone the entire time. I received a verbal no 3 weeks later, was told two days I had almost given up. When asked to help me understand what areas I needed to improve, the recruiter couldn't explain and rushed me off the phone.

Overall I was left with feeling that this is a cocky young culture company that will work you to the bone. I was impressed with Cerner before I had my onsite, seeing it changed my mind. I would not want to work for them, the money is good however the hours will be long so you won't get to enjoy it.

I recommend looking at other EHR vendors who are private such as EPIC. Cerner just bought Siemens Health and now their heads are swollen. its not a good place for a long term career.

I am surprised that a company this prestigious would have such a horrible HR recruiter, I am so disappointed that I have a bitter taste, truly proves the point that you have to go and see the company and people before you decide.

Interview Questions
    • All group and behavioral questions, the tech questions could be answered by a second grader.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Applied online
    Then email from a recruiter
    Then pre screening call
    Phone technical Interview
    Onsite Campus Visit with 2 back to back Technical Interviews.
    Waited 2 weeks to hear back

The technical interview is flawed, the systems engineer was very cocky but the second software engineer was nicer and had a good personality.

Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Had a phone interview that went well. The following week I traveled to Kansas City to go to an in-person interview. The interview was with three different people back to back. It was almost 3 hours long. Overall, very intense interview.

Interview Questions

The environment seemed very stiff and I did not feel like I would enjoy working there. Plus, I have heard horror stories from past employees on how they work you like a dog.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
    The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
    I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
    The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
    The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
    Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
    Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
    One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
    My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
    I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
    They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Questions
    • When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   View Answer
    I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

They seemed to be confused on what they should ask. Looks like they are caught up in old school college grad questions without any reasonable link to what is needed for the actual job.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Cerner.

2 rounds Phone Interview and 2 rounds onsite interview, all questions from glassdoor.
    Kansas City is a small and nice city but looks not much fun.
    Cerner is a good company and the business model is correct.
    All the staff we met looks love their company so much.
    The interview peace is too tight and you don't have time to know the city even this is a small city.

Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

Recruiter found me on dice.com and emailed me June 27th we had 1 of 2 phone interviews on July 1st. Very basic questions, she asked about salary requirements, explain some of my background experience, discussed my willingness to relocate ect. She emailed me later that day to set up a phone interview with a fellow systems engineer which took place July 2nd. This was what they called technical but it wasn't anything too challenging. They said they would get back with me. I was surprised with the 4th of july weekend that they got back with me so quick but on July 7th I got an email to invite me out to Cerner on July 23rd.

I was flown in, and picked up at the airport by a 3rd party transport company and taken to the President Hilton Hotel downtown. Had a free voucher for a great dinner as well as a great free breakfast buffet. There where 7 candidates in total but they said they normally did not have that many. We got a great tour of the city and spent most of the day learning and touring Cerner. Including an awesome lunch with a systems engineer. It said blue jeans where allowable but nobody wore jeans. Only me and one other person wore suits but the recruiter did say they are trying to move towards a more professional attire.

There where two interviews both with fellow systems engineers and they where both very casual and pleasant. They told me they just volunteer for the interviews and they fill out a standard interview form. If you where comfortable with the 2nd phone interview these two are both very similar. Basic technical stuff and some behavior. I was defiantly expecting a more rigorous interview, but was very comfortable.

They called me 8/1 (10 days after the onsite interviews) and declined to extend me an offer.

I was a bit at a loss, as I got great feedback from all who interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • SAN vs NAS?
      What is a Wiki and a forum?
      List Linux commands you know?
      Know basic DB commands.
      Explain how you would work through a troubleshooting scenario.
      Explain a time when you had a software and hardware conflict and what did you do?
      Dealing with multiple deadlines how do you prioritize?
      Practices for keeping computer secure.
        Answer Question

Support Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Cerner.

I applied online on their careers website. About a week after that I got an email from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview I was just asked basic questions about my education and a couple behavioral questions. At the end of the phone interview, she told me she wanted to schedule a phone interview which was schedule for 5 weeks later. There were 15 other applicants at the in person interview applying for the same position. I had a one and a half hour interview which consisted of three 30 minute interviews with different managers. The interviewers were really nice and asked about 4-5 behavioral questions each.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to solve a technical problem.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to produce results without much direction.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Although I had a good deal of enthusiasm going into the first phone interview (the first after one or two phone screens), I can not say the same for my interviewer. Whether it was my resume or just his task of interviewing prospects that inspired his dull, uninterested handling of questions I won't know. Rushed through introductions, didn't make an attempt at conversation, and seemed rebuffed during the introduction when I asked him how he was. Each question was read off the list, with little to no acknowledgement of correct answers (certainly not for incorrect answers). Received a rejection the next day. Mercifully quick at least.

Of note, in the weeks that followed, I had Cerner recruiters picking up my resume from indeed.com and emailing me. I found out, however, that this just means they don't bother cross-checking prospects with previously interviewed employees. As I was still interested in what this company does, I expressed interest in interviewing with them again, but this was not possible.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions already listed in other comments. I also remember a question regarding the design of an OOP Chess game.   Answer Question

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!