Cerner

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner in February 2010.

The first interview was very standard. If you do well enough on that one they call you in for two more 30-minute interviews, one is a more in depth interview with someone in your field and the other is mostly a test of some programming concepts. The test is completely verbal. Be sure to review some the concepts of object oriented design (inheritance and polymorphism especially). I didn't do so well on the test portion, some of the questions on Glassdoor are exactly what were asked (the chess question and others) so try and have answers ready for them.

Interview Questions
    • Explain some of the ideas behind Object Oriented programming   Answer Question
    • What would you change about your favorite programming language?   Answer Question
    • Explain the differences between searching through a linked list vs. a binary tree   View Answer
    • If you were designing a program to simulate a game like chess or checkers, explain some of the classes that you would create to achieve this.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner in October 2009.

on Day 1 i had a 30 minute one on one interview that they used as screen. I got called back for the 2nd day with 2 30 minute interviews. I was invited to an "Experience Cerner Day" and after waiting 2 months, I finally was notified that I wasn't going to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to give a peer bad news.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner in May 2009.

There was a one on one interview at the University of Iowa. Then there was another interview the next day with a panel of engineers. I then had a technical interview and a behavioral interview. After that long process, I was invited to Kansas City for a tour and a dinner with some of the recruiters and a large group of engineers.

After that I was asked to take a job 2 weeks later with a very good salary for the Kansas City area. The average salary in Kansas City is about $34,000, so I was very happy with the salary I was offered.

Interview Questions
    • Name a team project you have completed and some of the difficulties that came with it.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate my offer. I took the offer within 2 weeks because I had previously interned at the company. Not many companies are giving a signing bonus right now with economy the way it is. Cerner is a great place to work.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in October 2009.

The interview basically consisted of a decent number of questions. Most of the questions touched on some of the fundamental aspects of software and software design like Object Oriented Programming - OOPs concepts, Java/C++ , Multi - threading, database and its management (RDBMS - if I am not wrong).

They got back to me in 2 weeks saying that I didnt make it. I was not happy with it, because I answered ALL the questions adequately.
    Nevertheless I am sure something was wrong which I am still not aware of.

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in May 2010.

Very simple process all done online

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner in November 2010.

Step 1: Establish a contact.
    Step 2: Pressure contact into getting back with you.
    (It was my impression that the recruiters were under pressure to get a high volume of specific candidates into the campus and therefore were too busy to deal with non-targeted candidates, despite the fact that they needed to hire them)
    Step 3: Phone interview. Consists of questions about specific times or situations in your professional/academic life where you had to overcome adversity or solve a difficult challenge.
    Step 4: Tour Campus
    Step 5: Interview in person while you are touring campus for a day.
    Step 6: Good Luck.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you had to learn a new technology or system by yourself, what was your approach and what were your results?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner in October 2010.

I got call through one consultant and had interview with Cerner. Process consisted of 2 rounds of. hard core technical interviews, They asked me A - Z in Core java, it was more of a paper work. They were concentrating mainly on our project in previous company. 100 times they asked me " what was the most challenging work which you had done ", however we answer, they wont get satisfied with our answers !!!!!!!!!!
    Java qns were too good, covering each and every topic..I could answer nicely but was rejected. From consultant I came to know that reason of rejection was I had a career gap of just 2 months since I relocated from Chennai. I had cleared those 2 tough technical interview but still rejected because of the reason that I was not working then !!!!!!!!!! really very very bad mentality, no consideration is given for my technical knowledge !!!!!!!!

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner in January 2011.

Cerner called me out of the blue a few weeks after graduation to tell me that I matched a significant amount of of what they were looking for. There was a brief phone interview in which I was presented with the opportunity to speek freely about my past, and then ask questions about the company. They then flew me out to KCMO that week after expressing interest to continue the interview process. They picked me up in a private town car and took me to Cerner's WHQ where I met with 3 other people for face to face interviews. It was over the course of a few hours so nothing was terribly rushed. I was made to feel very comfortable and very welcome during the entire process. The questions were tough. They had a significant amount of situational questions along the lines of "what would you do" or "tell me about a time". So be ready for that. Also bare in mind that they are looking for the highest quality people to fill their roles. Their day to day activities quite seriously are a matter of life or death to patients in hospitals. If a coder makes a mistake on their software that allows for a bad medication to be distributed, then people can die.

Cerner took every step to ensure that they put their best foot forward. To those prospective job candidates who are seeking positions with Cerner, this means that you must do the same.

After the interview they told me they would be in touch with in a few days.

I cannot express how fantastic an experience the whole thing was. Every step of the way Cerner took the time to make sure that every fine detail was accounted for. If offered an opportunity to interview with them I highly recommend that you take it.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you innovated in your current job role.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you failed, and what did you learn from that failure?   Answer Question

Engagement Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner in January 2011.

Was contacted by a recruiter at the end of 2010. Went on vacation and Cerner arranged for me to go to WHQ at my return. Flight, Hotel, Limo service, Incidentals reimbursement were provided. Perfect experience thus far. Very impressed when arriving at WHQ, the HR setup is amazing. People are friendly yet incisive which suits my personality. Interviewed with 5 different people: Manager, Practice Manager, Resource Manager, HR, Engagement Leader. Interviews were challenging, situational and behavioral. Interviewers seemed interested by my career plans, and cared about what I wanted. Again, very impressive.

No need to, offer was fair. Total package is great, and compensation above average in the industry.

Delivery Consultant Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2011.

A college representative sent me an e-mail saying that the company was going to be on campus. After meeting with a campus recruiter and a member of management. About a week later I was invited to an "Experience Cerner" day, which consisted of 2 interviews with both being behavioral. We were taken on a campus tour and given information about the company and the position. Two weeks later I received an offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a difficult task with little resources   Answer Question