Cerner Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.6

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner in September 2014.

Phone interview with HR. After a week technical phone interview. Pretty basic questions. Everything from Glassdoor. A month later there were 2 on site interviews 1 hour each. Again most of the questions from Glassdoor.

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Applied online
    Then email from a recruiter
    Then pre screening call
    Phone technical Interview
    Onsite Campus Visit with 2 back to back Technical Interviews.
    Waited 2 weeks to hear back

The technical interview is flawed, the systems engineer was very cocky but the second software engineer was nicer and had a good personality.

Delivery Consultant Interview

Submit cover letter and resume with application; college campus interview / phone interview; on-Cerner-campus interview with behavioral interview focus

Offered a position and salary within 2 weeks. Given a couple weeks to decide and choose start date that works well with current employment / plans.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a policy or decision by a superior and what you did.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cerner in August 2014.

Was a general telephonic HR interview.Waiting for next round.Faced number of questions regarding previous job experience,Agile methodologies, knowledge of testing, what do I do in free time,able to relocate or not?Domain of expertise

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in August 2014.

It was fairly straight forward, a recruiter contacted me and asked me general HR question about my experience. (Resume Stuff) A week later, I had a technical interview. After that, I was asked to fly up to KC for an in-person interview. That consisted of a few technical interviews by a few different people.

Interview Questions
    • I will not give any specific questions, but I feel it would be helpful to others to give an overview of things to study. There is another post on here that does a VERY good job of covering everything, so I won't reinvent the wheel.

Freshen up on your networking skills (OSI Model, roles of different hardware on a network). You need to have a working knowledge of UNIX based commands in a terminal/command line interface. (ls,cd,find,top,chmod,chown).
        Answer Question
    They seem to be pretty firm with their offer, as they try to make the best one possible so that no one's time is wasted. They are very generous.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

They seemed to be confused on what they should ask. Looks like they are caught up in old school college grad questions without any reasonable link to what is needed for the actual job.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cerner.

2 rounds Phone Interview and 2 rounds onsite interview, all questions from glassdoor.
    Kansas City is a small and nice city but looks not much fun.
    Cerner is a good company and the business model is correct.
    All the staff we met looks love their company so much.
    The interview peace is too tight and you don't have time to know the city even this is a small city.

Support Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner.

I applied online on their careers website. About a week after that I got an email from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview I was just asked basic questions about my education and a couple behavioral questions. At the end of the phone interview, she told me she wanted to schedule a phone interview which was schedule for 5 weeks later. There were 15 other applicants at the in person interview applying for the same position. I had a one and a half hour interview which consisted of three 30 minute interviews with different managers. The interviewers were really nice and asked about 4-5 behavioral questions each.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to solve a technical problem.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to produce results without much direction.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
    The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
    I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
    The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
    The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
    Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
    Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
    One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
    My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
    I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
    They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Questions
    • When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   View Answer
    I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Trainer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

This was a very bad interview experience for me. Someone from HR contacted me in mid June asking for an interview and asked when I would be available for a phone call. I sent back my availability and he never responded. I followed up three times before finally getting an answer on his side asking me for a phone interview in early July.

The phone interview was very basic. I have no idea how they used it as a selection criteria. The questions were simple like my highest level of education, my years of work experience, was I American.

After the phone interview the HR guy never got back to me. Two weeks later I followed up with him. No answer. A week after that I e-mailed him again. This time he answered asking me again for my salary expectations and claiming that he had been too busy to answer my previous e-mails.

I answered. But then again I heard nothing for two more weeks. Finally in mid August I e-mailed him using rather aggressive language demanding to know if/when a decision would be made and could he tell me my status. He answered within five minutes saying that sorry he had forgotten to tell me that they filled the position weeks ago.

Interview Questions
    • What is your highest level of education? Can you do this job?   Answer Question