Cerner

Average Difficulty
610 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in May 2014.

Interview Details – I had phone interview and then after 2weeks onsite interview. Every single question is from Glassdoor so prepare properly. The only different question I was asked to design database schema on person and address, this was to show how normalization works and draw tables for 1nf,2nf,3nf. Rest all are from glassdoor. If given option for onsite/skype,I would say go for onsite as its fun and very nice experience I had. They place you in President hotel which is in downtown of Kansas City and onsite gives you idea about the employees,location,expectations etc. Saw lot of young developers so seems to be nice place to start your career. Ppl from NY,WA,CA wont like this place much bcs its very quite plc.

Interview Question – Pseudocode to find error which was having Exception Handling concept and it was regarding status of person is Active/InAcrive. Ans is function wont get called as all arguments are not passed from previous function.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No such negotiation. For this position they offer max 68k which is quite decent as per cost of living.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Manhattan, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2011.

Interview Details – Initial interest is based solely on resume's. Cerner is hiring a lot, so they use cursory looks to week out obvious incompetents. The 2-round initial interviews are with HR people, regardless of how technical the position is, so they are looking for buzzwords and people skills. The questionnaire they have you fill out, however, is reviewed by someone with more technical experience.

Expect questions on what languages you are proficient with, and other similar skills (databases, web design, etc.) They are looking mostly for C++ and Java people, but also have places for Ruby, Groovy, and some others. Expect a question on a difficult coding bug and how you resolved it. Expect a question on a difficult team situation (Suppose a team member is being hostile or uncooperative...) and how you resolved that. Expect questions on experience with development in a team environment.

If you pass both rounds of interviews, you are offered a job.

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult software bug you ever encountered in software you were developing, how you approached it, and how you resolved it (if you resolved it).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They did not appear open to negotiation, though I did not try. They had offer letters pre-printed with the salary already typed in. Because they are doing a lot of hiring, I do not think negotiation will be possible for entry-level positions, though others might see more success.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – I don't think it's fair to give you the questions directly, but I'm happy to give you all of the steps you'll need to take to be in complete control of the interview and, more importantly, and give yourself a solid baseline knowledge of Linux, Networking, and general computing concepts.

Topics to thoroughly research:

1. Cloud Computing - what is it? What are various cloud computing models?
2. What's the difference between NAS and SAN?
3. Troubleshooting a PC that cannot connect to the internet - what Linux commands might you use to find the problem?
4. DNS - high level description followed by a deeper explanation of servers and process involved
  a. Resolving name, root, top level domain, and authoritative name servers
  b. MX and A Records
5. Ways possible to move a file from one place to another (literally any way you can think of)
6. Favorite and personally most useful Linux commands - ability to deeply explain 'why'
7. How to move files among various operating systems (namely from Windows to Linux)
8. Various remote desktop options for Linux (xrdp, putty, etc) - be familiar with two to three such methods
9. STAR interview techniques

Things I did that helped:

Preamble: calculated how many days from the time I found out about the on-site interview to the interview date and created a day by day, hour by hour study schedule that dealt with the following concepts:

Linux
  Command Line, shell scripting, managing users and groups / permissions, viewing network activity
MySQL
  Create, alter, move tables, data, and databases at the command line level
Networking
  Subnetting, typical network topologies, network devices (switches, routers, hubs), OSI Model

Specific things I did that gave me a high level of confidence fielding the interview questions:

1. Purchased a 'bare bones' PC and installed Linux (keep in mind Cerner is a Red Hat shop)
2. Installed LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
3. Setup and configured xrdp and putty
4. Setup and configured a website hosted on my Linux machine
5. Played around with MySQL at the terminal level (no intermediary software)
  a. Created databases / tables, dropped them
  b. Changed and altered charsets
  c. Changed characteristics of existing tables and fields
6. Practiced subnetting - CCNA style IP address / subnetting questions
7. Made a list of STAR style questions and wrote my answers to them

Interview Question – Do you just remote desktop into your linux box? Why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You should be aware that your interview performance is directly related to your ability to negotiate a desirable starting salary - I was able to successfully negotiate what I wanted.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Medical Terminology Solution Designer Interview

Medical Terminology Solution Designer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – Be prepared with multiple STAR related questions with back-to-back in-person interviews with team; HR recruiter provided detailed instructions for on-site location including Cerner associates for panel interviews; very organized process from initial phone interview with recruiter to follow up regarding feedback.

Interview Question – Keep stamina and positive energy for back-to-back interviews   Answer Question

Applications Consultant Interview

Applications Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on-line for an Application Consultant position in the Boston area. Got contacted by a recruiter and had a screen-call interview. I got connected to another recruiter to put me on the schedule of 2 individuals I was to interview with over the phone, in one day. First scheduled interviewer was 20 minutes late that I thought they had cancelled without calling. Contacted them letting them know of the situation, and then I received a call from another senior level employee who apologized for the wait and explained why my scheduled interviewer couldn't make it. The interview was pretty pleasant. I had a second interview which was also good. I was flown into Boston to have an in-person interview, which went well. After almost 3 weeks I was called with an offer which included relocation assistance.

Interview Question – Nothing really; Where do you see your self in 5 yrs? How have you influenced management?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not enough money

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Velocity Professional Services Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Was impressed by how quickly Cerner got back to me for a phone interview. They quickly offered to fly me out, but then decided it would be too expensive. I did two skype interviews instead.

Interview Question – Started with behavioral questions in first interview, then the second interview was about resume.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied Online ,Heard Back from Recruiter after 2 weeks .Still waiting for the Interview Decision
Hr Screening : Basic Resume Overview Questions ,Gone Over Project Explained the Position
Telephonic Technical Interview :
Video Interview - 2 Rounds

Overall Interview is Process Oriented,Expecting to hear back from them about my Interview status

Interview Question – Telephonic Interview:
1.) What is Unit Testing
2.) What is Code Coverage
3.) Explain your projects.
4.) Tell me about a time you encountered a conflict with a Team Member
5.)OOPS Priniciple
Many Behavioural Questions

Video Interview : 2 1 hour Google Hangout Interview

Interview 1 : How did you fix a production Issue
                       Displayed acode and asked to find out the output for that .It was code for String Reversal?
                        Was Should a Code and was asked to find out about the Null Pointer Exception ?
                        Asked about Different Joins in SQL

Interview 2 : Write a code that printouts Foobar if the No is a multiple of 7 print Foo if multiple of 5 print bar if multiple of (7 and 5) print Foo Bar
2.) Explain Binary Search algorithm to find 9 from numbers 1 to 19
3.)Explain Projects
4.) Asked to Write String Reversal Logic
  View Answers (2)

Technology Consultant Interview

Technology Consultant

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Applied on Cerner.com. Contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview and got offer

Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2013.

Interview Details – The process was ok. Got a Skype screening first where I was interviewed by an Engineer. After passing that interview, I was invited to there head quarters for the onsite interview in Kansas. When I got there, I was placed in a room and Engineer after Engineer came and asked me questions.

Interview Question – None, all questions were as expected.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – I had an initial campus interview at my school. They let you know that day/next day if you will be going to Kansas City for experience Cerner day and additional interviews. The interviews at WHQ in Kansas City were fine. They seemed to be more about personal interaction and teamwork, so have good examples of that. Then they will offer you the role within a few weeks, and you have to accept or decline in two weeks.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult was asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, standard pay for college graduate entry-level.