Cerner Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.6

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Had a phone interview that went well. The following week I traveled to Kansas City to go to an in-person interview. The interview was with three different people back to back. It was almost 3 hours long. Overall, very intense interview.

Interview Questions

The environment seemed very stiff and I did not feel like I would enjoy working there. Plus, I have heard horror stories from past employees on how they work you like a dog.

KCIT Apprentice Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

I applied online. After applying , the job listing was taken down. Two days after, I was contacted by a recruiter by email. In the email I was asked to list times in which I would be available to have a phone 'interview'. After responding, and scheduling a date I was called (2 minutes late!). During the call I was asked about my previous work experience, and if I knew what Cerner did. I was asked the following questions: "what was your least favorite thing at your previous job,' and 'what did you enjoy doing the most?' The phone call lasted approximately 20 minutes. I was then contacted later with a date to meet for an in person interview. I was interviewed by two people and was asked primarily Star Behavioral interview questions. So, if you're looking to study, try looking up Cerner's interview video on YouTube and also looking up general 'STAR' interview questions on Google.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview I was asked to explain a time where I had previously been in a situation in which I had to force someone to take responsibility for their actions.   View Answer
    Your pay is based off of how many credits you have completed. I have completed 65, so my pay is $13.20 an hour.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

First Round HR - Details about your Resume(Work Exp and everything)
    Second Round Technical - 1. Mainly concentrate on OOPS concept. They will ask you to design any game problem most ppbly the one listed in your resume (Please Note, they just ask you to design and not write program, so be clear with what you say). It may be Chess/Chinese Checkers or any other game.
    2. Memory management in Java and C++ (Please be ready to explain about Garbage Collection in Brief)
    3. Different Types of Testing (Diff between WhiteBox, BlackBox Testing, Unit Testing)
    4. Be prepared for Behavioral Question eg( What if types)
    PS: Be calm, answer Confidently you will surely get Onsite Call
    Onsite Round (Two Round):
    Round1 :
    Behavioral
    Dealing with tough Manager/Professor.
    Technical:
    1. Car and Paint Problem (Explain OOPS concept). It seems they love OOPS ,
    2. Will give you a recursion problem and ask you to explain it(so called Dry Run)
    3. What is Normalization,Denormalization
    4. Longest Increasing Subsequence Problem (Surprising they added DP in their Question Bank), but still easy one .

Round 2:
    Behavioral
    Same as Round 1. I think you should be confident and good in making stories to Ace Behavioral.
    Technical :
    1. Binary Search
    2. Print number from 1 to 75, If divided by 5 print "Foo" , If divided by 7 print "Bar", If Divided by both 5 and 7 print "FooBar"
    3. Follow up on Q2 to improve the program .
    Hint : Guys please when they ask you to improve algo, avoid modulus operator because it is more expensive). Think a bit about its Solution .Its very simple.
    4. All types of Joins and explain them
    5. Writing a Binary Tree for "CERNER"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing , every thing is simple. The only thing is you should be clear with your basics and Fundamentals.   View Answer
    I liked the Offer. Best part you can get in any team you want.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in May 2014.

I had phone interview and then after 2weeks onsite interview. Every single question is from Glassdoor so prepare properly. The only different question I was asked to design database schema on person and address, this was to show how normalization works and draw tables for 1nf,2nf,3nf. Rest all are from glassdoor. If given option for onsite/skype,I would say go for onsite as its fun and very nice experience I had. They place you in President hotel which is in downtown of Kansas City and onsite gives you idea about the employees,location,expectations etc. Saw lot of young developers so seems to be nice place to start your career. Ppl from NY,WA,CA wont like this place much bcs its very quite plc.

Interview Questions
    • Pseudocode to find error which was having Exception Handling concept and it was regarding status of person is Active/InAcrive. Ans is function wont get called as all arguments are not passed from previous function.   Answer Question
    No such negotiation. For this position they offer max 68k which is quite decent as per cost of living.

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner.

Was impressed by how quickly Cerner got back to me for a phone interview. They quickly offered to fly me out, but then decided it would be too expensive. I did two skype interviews instead.

Interview Questions
    • Started with behavioral questions in first interview, then the second interview was about resume.   Answer Question

Technology Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Applied on Cerner.com. Contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview and got offer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner.

I had an initial campus interview at my school. They let you know that day/next day if you will be going to Kansas City for experience Cerner day and additional interviews. The interviews at WHQ in Kansas City were fine. They seemed to be more about personal interaction and teamwork, so have good examples of that. Then they will offer you the role within a few weeks, and you have to accept or decline in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, standard pay for college graduate entry-level.

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in May 2014.

The recuiter reached out to me online to inquire about my experirence, and two weeks later, I was on a flight to KC to interview for the position. The Interview process was smooth, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of questions asking to site examples from previous work experience. If you are able to thin on the spot, and have a good memory, you should be fine. The interviewers were very nice and accomodating, so if you need to take a second, they will understand.   Answer Question

Professional Services Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

I applied online and also referral from a friend who currently works at Cerner for the delivery consultant/ professional services consultant position. I received and email to set up a phone interview within five days of applying.

The phone interview was the following week with my recruiter. My recruiter was very friendly and informative. The interview was mostly HR related questions with two fairly easy behavioral questions. After she finished with all her questions she gave me about five minutes to ask anything I had questions about. At the end of the phone interview she offered me a second interview either over Skype the following week or to wait awhile to fly out to Experience Cerner Day. I chose to move the process along quicker and interview through Skype.

The Skype interview consisted of two 30 minute interviews with two different employees. The interviewers were both laid back and very friendly and informative. The interview consisted of one question telling a little about you and around 10 behavioral STAR questions that were average difficulty (most of the questions were glassdoor questions that are posted). At the end they gave me about ten minutes to ask anything I had questions or concerns about and notified me that I would be hearing back in about a week or two.

After five business days I received an offer with what I thought was a fair salary and a generous relocation package. I had seven business days to either accept or decline the offer letter.

After accepting the offer letter there was a background check and a drug test within 3 days of accepting the offer.

The overall interview and hiring process was very pleasant and smooth.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a project that you encountered that you were give little to no direction/help.   Answer Question
    The offer was higher then what I expected so I did not negotiate.

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

First was a phone interview. Very easy going. Next came a Cerner Day. Jumped into interviews immediately, had lunch, and toured the campus. Ended day with a panel of Cerner associates.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you implemented change and how did the results turn out.   Answer Question
    They offered more than I indicated.