Cerner Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
615 interviews

2.6

Technology Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Applied on Cerner.com. Contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview and got offer

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2013.

The process was ok. Got a Skype screening first where I was interviewed by an Engineer. After passing that interview, I was invited to there head quarters for the onsite interview in Kansas. When I got there, I was placed in a room and Engineer after Engineer came and asked me questions.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Cerner.

I had an initial campus interview at my school. They let you know that day/next day if you will be going to Kansas City for experience Cerner day and additional interviews. The interviews at WHQ in Kansas City were fine. They seemed to be more about personal interaction and teamwork, so have good examples of that. Then they will offer you the role within a few weeks, and you have to accept or decline in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, standard pay for college graduate entry-level.

Professional Services Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

I applied online and also referral from a friend who currently works at Cerner for the delivery consultant/ professional services consultant position. I received and email to set up a phone interview within five days of applying.

The phone interview was the following week with my recruiter. My recruiter was very friendly and informative. The interview was mostly HR related questions with two fairly easy behavioral questions. After she finished with all her questions she gave me about five minutes to ask anything I had questions about. At the end of the phone interview she offered me a second interview either over Skype the following week or to wait awhile to fly out to Experience Cerner Day. I chose to move the process along quicker and interview through Skype.

The Skype interview consisted of two 30 minute interviews with two different employees. The interviewers were both laid back and very friendly and informative. The interview consisted of one question telling a little about you and around 10 behavioral STAR questions that were average difficulty (most of the questions were glassdoor questions that are posted). At the end they gave me about ten minutes to ask anything I had questions or concerns about and notified me that I would be hearing back in about a week or two.

After five business days I received an offer with what I thought was a fair salary and a generous relocation package. I had seven business days to either accept or decline the offer letter.

After accepting the offer letter there was a background check and a drug test within 3 days of accepting the offer.

The overall interview and hiring process was very pleasant and smooth.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a project that you encountered that you were give little to no direction/help.   Answer Question
    The offer was higher then what I expected so I did not negotiate.

Applications Services Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Applied to this position through their website. Received an email not too long after that asked to upload my unofficial transcript to their site.
    Didn’t hear back for almost a month and a half (thought I had been rejected at this point) - received an email request for a phone interview.
    Had a phone interview with a campus recruiter; it seemed more like a conversation. Asked me what I knew about Cerner and why I wanted to work there, why I chose my major, a time when I solved a problem, a few “get to know you” questions and told me more about Cerner. I learned that Cerner employees have a lot of opportunities to move around the company - both laterally and up in the ranks. My interviewer offered me the opportunity to go to Cerner in-person for Experience Cerner Day right after the phone interview. I accepted.
    Went to ECD two weeks later - they put me up in a really nice hotel, gave us (there were around 10 other applicants for consultant positions) a tour of the city the day we got there. The next day, we went to Cerner HQ and had two back-to-back interviews. Almost all of the questions were based on the STAR method (which they tell you beforehand!). The rest of the day was spent getting lunch, taking a tour of HQ, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question
    The salary was already far above what my other job offers were - also offered relocation, so I did not negotiate.

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

First was a phone interview. Very easy going. Next came a Cerner Day. Jumped into interviews immediately, had lunch, and toured the campus. Ended day with a panel of Cerner associates.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you implemented change and how did the results turn out.   Answer Question
    They offered more than I indicated.

Delivery Consultant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2011.

2 formal interviews, both situational (how would you handle this situation...)

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

In telephonic interview mainly I was asked about the behavioral questions followed by few technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design classes using oops foe a chess game   Answer Question

Velocity Consultant Interview

Cerner Experience Day - Great tour of the city, good restaurant, tour of campus. They give you two, 30 minute interviews, both behavioral. Pretty laid back and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Something along the lines of "Describe a situation where you had to change someone's outlook"   Answer Question

Other offers

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

A recruiter e-mailed me the next day after appling online to schedule a phone interview with her to discuss my background and job position that I applied for. The phone call took approximately 30 minutes and consisted of a couple basic behavioral questions but nothing major.

Once that was completed, she then scheduled me to have a technical interview 2 days later. It contained some behavioral questions, but mostly it was all technical questions. I'd suggest you brush up a little about cloud computing, networking, and databases some before you do interview, because these system engineer managers know what they're talking about and will know what you don't. The call took a little over 30 minutes to complete.

A few days later, I got a call back from the Cerner recruiter who set me up for an on-site interview, or what they call "Experience Cerner Day." This consisted of attending a tour of the city and dinner the night before. The tour was pretty educational, because you get to see a side of the city that has a lot of character. The dinner was awesome and they gave you a chance to speak with other system engineers that went through the velocity program to ask them questions about it as well as other questions about their day-to-day work lives. It was very informal and I think it helped us understand the Cerner culture better.

The next day consisted of going on-site where we talked with the Velocity programming manager and he gave a one-hour presentation of what the velocity program was. After that we had our 2 1-hour interview with different system engineers. It was mostly made up of STAR questions, so as long as you can relate to the question and come up with one of your experiences, you won't have a problem.

After that, we had lunch, tour of the continuous campus, and then watched a video. It was definitely an interesting experience and I look forward to working for them.

Interview Questions
    • Just read up on how STAR questions work and you'll be fine.   Answer Question