Cerner Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

First Round HR - Details about your Resume(Work Exp and everything)
    Second Round Technical - 1. Mainly concentrate on OOPS concept. They will ask you to design any game problem most ppbly the one listed in your resume (Please Note, they just ask you to design and not write program, so be clear with what you say). It may be Chess/Chinese Checkers or any other game.
    2. Memory management in Java and C++ (Please be ready to explain about Garbage Collection in Brief)
    3. Different Types of Testing (Diff between WhiteBox, BlackBox Testing, Unit Testing)
    4. Be prepared for Behavioral Question eg( What if types)
    PS: Be calm, answer Confidently you will surely get Onsite Call
    Onsite Round (Two Round):
    Round1 :
    Behavioral
    Dealing with tough Manager/Professor.
    Technical:
    1. Car and Paint Problem (Explain OOPS concept). It seems they love OOPS ,
    2. Will give you a recursion problem and ask you to explain it(so called Dry Run)
    3. What is Normalization,Denormalization
    4. Longest Increasing Subsequence Problem (Surprising they added DP in their Question Bank), but still easy one .

Round 2:
    Behavioral
    Same as Round 1. I think you should be confident and good in making stories to Ace Behavioral.
    Technical :
    1. Binary Search
    2. Print number from 1 to 75, If divided by 5 print "Foo" , If divided by 7 print "Bar", If Divided by both 5 and 7 print "FooBar"
    3. Follow up on Q2 to improve the program .
    Hint : Guys please when they ask you to improve algo, avoid modulus operator because it is more expensive). Think a bit about its Solution .Its very simple.
    4. All types of Joins and explain them
    5. Writing a Binary Tree for "CERNER"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing , every thing is simple. The only thing is you should be clear with your basics and Fundamentals.   View Answer
    I liked the Offer. Best part you can get in any team you want.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manhattan, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2011.

Initial interest is based solely on resume's. Cerner is hiring a lot, so they use cursory looks to week out obvious incompetents. The 2-round initial interviews are with HR people, regardless of how technical the position is, so they are looking for buzzwords and people skills. The questionnaire they have you fill out, however, is reviewed by someone with more technical experience.

Expect questions on what languages you are proficient with, and other similar skills (databases, web design, etc.) They are looking mostly for C++ and Java people, but also have places for Ruby, Groovy, and some others. Expect a question on a difficult coding bug and how you resolved it. Expect a question on a difficult team situation (Suppose a team member is being hostile or uncooperative...) and how you resolved that. Expect questions on experience with development in a team environment.

If you pass both rounds of interviews, you are offered a job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most difficult software bug you ever encountered in software you were developing, how you approached it, and how you resolved it (if you resolved it).   View Answer
    They did not appear open to negotiation, though I did not try. They had offer letters pre-printed with the salary already typed in. Because they are doing a lot of hiring, I do not think negotiation will be possible for entry-level positions, though others might see more success.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

I don't think it's fair to give you the questions directly, but I'm happy to give you all of the steps you'll need to take to be in complete control of the interview and, more importantly, and give yourself a solid baseline knowledge of Linux, Networking, and general computing concepts.

Topics to thoroughly research:

1. Cloud Computing - what is it? What are various cloud computing models?
    2. What's the difference between NAS and SAN?
    3. Troubleshooting a PC that cannot connect to the internet - what Linux commands might you use to find the problem?
    4. DNS - high level description followed by a deeper explanation of servers and process involved
      a. Resolving name, root, top level domain, and authoritative name servers
      b. MX and A Records
    5. Ways possible to move a file from one place to another (literally any way you can think of)
    6. Favorite and personally most useful Linux commands - ability to deeply explain 'why'
    7. How to move files among various operating systems (namely from Windows to Linux)
    8. Various remote desktop options for Linux (xrdp, putty, etc) - be familiar with two to three such methods
    9. STAR interview techniques

Things I did that helped:

Preamble: calculated how many days from the time I found out about the on-site interview to the interview date and created a day by day, hour by hour study schedule that dealt with the following concepts:

Linux
      Command Line, shell scripting, managing users and groups / permissions, viewing network activity
    MySQL
      Create, alter, move tables, data, and databases at the command line level
    Networking
      Subnetting, typical network topologies, network devices (switches, routers, hubs), OSI Model

Specific things I did that gave me a high level of confidence fielding the interview questions:

1. Purchased a 'bare bones' PC and installed Linux (keep in mind Cerner is a Red Hat shop)
    2. Installed LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
    3. Setup and configured xrdp and putty
    4. Setup and configured a website hosted on my Linux machine
    5. Played around with MySQL at the terminal level (no intermediary software)
      a. Created databases / tables, dropped them
      b. Changed and altered charsets
      c. Changed characteristics of existing tables and fields
    6. Practiced subnetting - CCNA style IP address / subnetting questions
    7. Made a list of STAR style questions and wrote my answers to them

Interview Questions
    • Do you just remote desktop into your linux box? Why?   View Answer
    You should be aware that your interview performance is directly related to your ability to negotiate a desirable starting salary - I was able to successfully negotiate what I wanted.

Medical Terminology Solution Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Be prepared with multiple STAR related questions with back-to-back in-person interviews with team; HR recruiter provided detailed instructions for on-site location including Cerner associates for panel interviews; very organized process from initial phone interview with recruiter to follow up regarding feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Keep stamina and positive energy for back-to-back interviews   Answer Question

Applications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

I applied on-line for an Application Consultant position in the Boston area. Got contacted by a recruiter and had a screen-call interview. I got connected to another recruiter to put me on the schedule of 2 individuals I was to interview with over the phone, in one day. First scheduled interviewer was 20 minutes late that I thought they had cancelled without calling. Contacted them letting them know of the situation, and then I received a call from another senior level employee who apologized for the wait and explained why my scheduled interviewer couldn't make it. The interview was pretty pleasant. I had a second interview which was also good. I was flown into Boston to have an in-person interview, which went well. After almost 3 weeks I was called with an offer which included relocation assistance.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really; Where do you see your self in 5 yrs? How have you influenced management?   View Answer

Not enough money

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cerner.

Was impressed by how quickly Cerner got back to me for a phone interview. They quickly offered to fly me out, but then decided it would be too expensive. I did two skype interviews instead.

Interview Questions
    • Started with behavioral questions in first interview, then the second interview was about resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

I applied Online ,Heard Back from Recruiter after 2 weeks .Still waiting for the Interview Decision
    Hr Screening : Basic Resume Overview Questions ,Gone Over Project Explained the Position
    Telephonic Technical Interview :
    Video Interview - 2 Rounds

Overall Interview is Process Oriented,Expecting to hear back from them about my Interview status

Interview Questions
    • Telephonic Interview:
      1.) What is Unit Testing
      2.) What is Code Coverage
      3.) Explain your projects.
      4.) Tell me about a time you encountered a conflict with a Team Member
      5.)OOPS Priniciple
      Many Behavioural Questions

Video Interview : 2 1 hour Google Hangout Interview

Interview 1 : How did you fix a production Issue
                             Displayed acode and asked to find out the output for that .It was code for String Reversal?
                              Was Should a Code and was asked to find out about the Null Pointer Exception ?
                              Asked about Different Joins in SQL

Interview 2 : Write a code that printouts Foobar if the No is a multiple of 7 print Foo if multiple of 5 print bar if multiple of (7 and 5) print Foo Bar
      2.) Explain Binary Search algorithm to find 9 from numbers 1 to 19
      3.)Explain Projects
      4.) Asked to Write String Reversal Logic
        View Answers (2)

Technology Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Applied on Cerner.com. Contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview and got offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2013.

The process was ok. Got a Skype screening first where I was interviewed by an Engineer. After passing that interview, I was invited to there head quarters for the onsite interview in Kansas. When I got there, I was placed in a room and Engineer after Engineer came and asked me questions.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cerner.

I had an initial campus interview at my school. They let you know that day/next day if you will be going to Kansas City for experience Cerner day and additional interviews. The interviews at WHQ in Kansas City were fine. They seemed to be more about personal interaction and teamwork, so have good examples of that. Then they will offer you the role within a few weeks, and you have to accept or decline in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, standard pay for college graduate entry-level.