Cerner

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technology Consultant Interview

Technology Consultant
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had phone interview which lasted about 30 mins. Interview was based of resume so make sure you know what you wrote.

Interview Question – Mostly all questions were easy.   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Velocity Systems Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Entire process took a little over two weeks. I applied on Cerner's website and was contacted by a recruiter who did a quick phone screening and then set up a phone interview.

The 30- minute phone interview was fairly easy, mostly behavioral questions with a couple of technical questions. I was then contacted the next day and asked to come in for two on-site interviews, each an hour long. The two interviews were fairly straightforward, again mostly behavioral questions with some technical questions thrown in.

All of my interviews were done by system engineers / software engineers / team leads rather then H.R., so be somewhat prepared; you can't just fake your way through like you can with an HR drone, although that being said, I actually had a wider spectrum of conceptual technical knowledge than my second interviewer, and I had no experience in the field whatsoever, and it had been almost a year since I graduated, so make of that what you will.

In general, be familiar with general technical concepts, system design, and networking concepts. I wasn't asked to go into great detail on anything, and the format of the whole thing was very conversational.

Nothing difficult or unexpected, some of the technical questions are worded oddly or are very broad, so you might have to ask your interviewer specifically what he wants you to talk about.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Provided (in my opinion) very good salary for someone just out of college with no experience.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – I talked to the recruiters at the career fair. They set me up with an interview there for the next day. The questions were mostly technical, almost no behavioral, which I wasn't expecting. Asked about garbage collection, different languages, some object oriented design questions. The guy who interviewed me was a software engineer and a really friendly guy.

Interview Question – Asked about different types of testing.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Velocity Professional Services Consultant
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – The application online claims to be a "Velocity Professional Services Consultant" but the job is for an delivery consultant. The interview iteself is pretty easy.

1st - screening with campus recruiter. Questions asked include tell me about yourself and tell me a time you made a decision with little information.

2nd - they gave me the option to fly out to KC or do two skype interviews. I choose to fly out to KC, which includes a tour of KC the first night, the second day includes 2 1:1 interviews, then a tour of campus and a lot of presentations about Cerner.

Questions asked in both interviews are based off a pre-written sheet the interviewers are supposed to ask questions from. They then take notes on it. All questions are situational (tell me a time...). They basically the same question over and over again, so have many situations thought up in your mind. Use the STAR method as that is exactly what they are looking for (the interviewer even told me at the beginning of my interview)

Interviewed on a Friday. Received an offer on Monday. 50k, 4 grand signing/relocation.

Interview Question – Typical ones (tell me a time you worked with someone difficult, tell me a time things didn't go as expected, tell me a time you worked in a group to accomplish something.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – offer low, even for entry level. Based on the tour, it sounds like all decisions are what you do after training are based on "business need" which can mean anything. One person I talked to at the dinner they set up for us started in this position, but because of "business need" she was turned into a sales person.

Velocity Applications Consultant Interview

Velocity Applications Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through their online application on a Saturday morning.
On the following Monday, I received an email asking to schedule a phone interview.

The phone interview was fairly easy...we went over my resume & she asked a few questions about my preferences: travel, expected salary, when I would be graduating. I was asked to submit my transcripts as soon as I got off the phone with my recruiter.

Later that night, I received an email asking for a face-to-face interview.

I went in on a Friday for the Experience Cerner Day. Cerner was very welcoming & made all the candidates feel welcome. We had 2 interviews scheduled. The first guy that met with me was super curious about me, the second guy did not seem interested, so I was unsure of how the interview went.

We were treated to a free lunch & a tour of the workout & healthcare facilities. A panel of fairly new employees was brought in to answer our questions.

I heard back 6 days later from my recruiter! She shared the offer with me over the phone & explained some of Cerner's benefits. I was thrilled & accepted the offer later that day.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you used technical skills to help someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered the amount that I asked for, so I did not negotiate.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in February 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very smooth.My recruiter particularly was very cooperative. I guess they had my resume in database, contacted me via LinkedIn. Two phone interviews and two onsite interviews. interview process took more then 4 weeks since, I was on a vacation in between. Ideally, 3 weeks.
The questions very basic and straight from Glassdoor. Onsite interview questions.
1. Shown a code and asked what it did, String reversal.
2. FizzBuzz
3. Debugging question.
4. Basics of OOP
5. Couple of situational questions.
Few other questions which I dont remember.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cerner in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online, Contacted by HR for an initial screen. Was followed by a technical phone interview (Chess oop, testing, debugging techniques and some behavioral).
Got through to on-site: 2 interviews back to back (so carry a water bottle). Both had technical and behavioral. All tech questions on glassdoor. I was asked for Cerner BST with duplicates, FOOBAR problem (and how to make it more efficient), Walk thru the string reversal prob (uses a substring), unit testing, database stuff. Again all from glassdoor. Interviewers were super friendly and helped a lot when I had a few hiccups in the technical questions.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, be sure about the basics of BST, String reversals and be thorough with what's on your resume ! Communication matters. Practice behavioral using STAR(or SAR) method if you are not too confident ...   View Answers (6)

Negotiation Details – Got the offer 10 days after my interview. No negotiation, good enough package for an inexpensive place like KC, MO.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in December 2013.

Interview Details – Very constructive interview process-- initial recruiter interviewed for one position, but over the course of the interview felt that two other positions would be more challenging and interesting to me. She not only recommended that I apply, she also personally pressed others in the organization to interview me and strongly recommended me for the hire.

The process was very quick once it started-- I had one phone interview, a week later they flew me out and I had two more, and a job offer came the next business day. I was also very pleased that within each of my interviews, the interviewers reflected on my fit with the position while still in the interview. At the time I was seeking another position with another company, and I was completely swayed to Cerner by the visible interest each person took in learning my story and fitting me into the organization.

Interview Question – How proficient are you with Excel?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very simple negotiation. In my initial interview, they asked about salary requirements. I told them I knew how the process works, and that my salary would fall into the range that HR had identified as appropriate for the position, so I was flexible within the range. I gave them a "too low to consider" ballpark. When the offer came in, they offered well above the minimum I had given and didn't try to low-ball me. I accepted their initial offer, as it was within the target range I had identified for myself in advance.

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online, and got a response in about a week. Went through an HR phone interview. Had a slightly more technical phone interview with questions already on here. Had 2 more technical phone interviews with questions already on here.
All interviews except the first were an hour long. Technical questions were fairly easy though.

Interview Question – Questions like: "What was the hardest bug of yours that you weren't able to fix?"
I couldn't think of legitimate answers to questions like this and ended up just making things up.
  Answer Question

Professional Services Consultant Interview

Professional Services Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Applied online after speaking with a recruiter at a career fair. Was contacted shortly after about attending experience cerner day. Flew to Kansas City 2 weeks later, had a tour of the city as well as a dinner with the ability to ask questions of someone currently in the position. Toured the campus the next day and received lunch and heard presentations about the training and culture. Two 30 minute interviews with team managers to review experience and answer behavioral questions. Very laid back and easy. Heard back one week later.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you had to adjust your schedule to help a peer with a problem   Answer Question