Cerner Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Cerner's website. I am still living in Chicago and am looking to relocate somewhere west (cannot deal with these winters anymore!), so I applied for an opening in Carlsbad, California. To be honest, I have applied for so many jobs I do not remember the duration of time between my application and the first phone interview. The first phone interview was with an HR person at their headquaters in Kansas City. It was about 45 minutes and consisted of simple, basic HR-related questions. It went well, and the following week I was contacted to continue to move forward in the (extremely long, drawn-out) process. SO, the following week, I created a 6 page paper with sources cited about a hypothetical wellness program. Took me about an hour and a half to complete. This was to be discussed on my following 3 skype interviews I was to have that week. I had to call in sick one day and "work from home" to make this work with my current employer, mind you. These 3 interviews were conducted on 3 different days. The three interviews went very well. It was a one-on-one interview with three different current high-level employees at Cerner. I only discussed the paper I created with one person for about 5 minutes. The following week, I received a phone call later that I did not get the job, and they hired someone internal. I went through four different interviews, created a project, and had to lie to my current employer to be able to conduct these 4 interviews. After doing all that work and lying to my current job I was extremely frustrated to hear that they simply went on to hire someone internal. Don't interview with this company unless you have time to waste.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question
    • Name one time you had a challenge in project implementation.   1 Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Entirely behavioral interview consisting of 3 interviews. Typically they'll cycle 3 people through 3 different interviews for 30 minutes. This is fairly easy and they seem to use just about anyone across the company to conduct these interviews. Overall it's pleasant and either occurs on campus or at their facility. Once this take place, if you're a college hire they provide an "experience cerner" day where you show up to campus and walk around.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when....and they expect you to articulate a time when a situation occured   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter contacted me and ask basic resume related things and asked when I would be available for on site interview and I chose a week after. They paid everything including air fare, motel stay and my ground transposition. The interview process was really good. No pressure and all the interviewers were experienced(I was interviewed by 3 persons, each lasted for an hour). All the questions you will find here, nothing new. They put lot of weighted on behavioral questions(as per my experience at least). They contacted within 2 weeks of my interview and was told that I was not selected. Over all process was smooth.

Interview Questions

• - How do u approach a bug - One was create an object that tells a nurse the frequency of medicine that a patient must take. - Make an object that holds temperatures of a person and can say whether or not they have a fever. - And some other which I do not recall - Lots of behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

Interview

My first contact at was a career fair with a recruiter. She seemed impressed, and she told me that she was going to contact me a schedule an interview. I then had an interview over a webcam. That went well, so they had me out for a site interview (which consisted of two back to back interviews). All three interviews were essentially the same -- half behavioural and half technical. Technical questions were a breeze -- look them up here, but if you can't answer most or all of them off the cuff (or at the least have *something* intelligent to say), I don't think you are really fit for this line of work. Everyone was nice, and they put you at ease during the interview process. A negative to me was the travel reimbursement. Some of the other candidates were talking about how much reimbursement they received. Two individuals that travelled from the same place (and carpooled) received significantly different reimbursement amounts. A Kansas City resident received $50 to drive across town. And they only covered about half of my travel expenses. Not to mention that they put them on these "purchasing cards" which I don't think I can transfer to my credit card. Nothing about the travel reimbursement made much sense to me. Ultimately I did not get a job offer. I felt the interviews went well and I have two years of experience in industry. I may have asked for too much money for an entry level position. Perhaps the lesson here is to look at Glassdoor salaries *before* filling out the salary requirements section. Overall this was a positive experience and I wish Cerner and the group of new hires nothing but the best.

Interview Questions

• Normal behavioural stuff. Technical questions are simple.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was very basic. It was simple background questions about my qualifications and experiences. The Experience Cerner Day (ECD) went very well. It was extremely laid back and relaxed. You have a quick overview of the company, interviews, lunch, and tour. To this day, I am still shocked I did not receive an offer. I had a 3.5+ GPA from a top ranked University in the Midwest. My interviewer even told me my interview went well. Cerner is the type of company where "It's who you know, not what you know." Overall, I was very impressed with the company, and also extremely glad I found a better opportunity for myself. From what I've been told, they work you to death.

Interview Questions

• Phone: Describe a time you had to teach someone something technical. ECD: Describe a time you had conflicting demands. Describe a time when you had to do something that went against the group you were working with. Describe a time when you implemented a change.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

The company contacted me via linked-in. Started with a phone interview to see if I was interested in a position. After the 30 min phone interview I was asked when would be a good time to come and have a face to face interview. They paid for the hotel and reimbursed with gift cards for gas and mileage. it was a half day of 3 different interviews for 3 different people for 3 different positions within the company. Overall they seemed like standard interview questions with only a few technical questions overall.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview STAR questions and some technical questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

Pleasant, and a very accommodating. On Thursday (Feb 26), we were taken on a tour of Kansas City, MO, followed by a dinner at the Hilton in downtown KC. Most interviewees stayed at the Sheraton, but i am a KC native so I didn't need that accommodation. On Friday, we were to be at Cerner for the interviews and Experience Cerner day. There were 2 30 minute interviews, that were relatively relatively low stress if you came prepared. In all, a great experience.

Interview Questions

• All questions were behavior based (so be prepared well in advance for "describe a time when" questions).   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cerner in February 2015.

Interview

I received an e-mail with an interview code. It asked that I secure an *.aol mail address and download aol IM tool. I replied to an e-mail with one simple question: Can this interview be conducted over the phone? Instead of answering my question, Cerner replied including the following: … depending on how fast & Intelligent you are ... report tomorrow at 08:00am CST ... You are to follow up by …. I did not feel comfortable with this approach. Firstly, I did not apply for this job, a Compass recruiter sent me a solicitation. Secondly, I found their response to be condescending, commanding and demanding. This is not the approach I would expect from a professional recruiter.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty simple. First, the HR call and then you are scheduled for a Skype based interview. The interviewer was very much focused on the interview and he explained me well how his team worked. It was strange and confusing for me to get a reject because I had explained every question in detail and I felt I did well. When I got a reject I asked the HR for a feedback but the HR replied that it was against the company policy to give a feedback. I would have loved to get a feedback and get to know where to improve.

Interview Questions

• 1.The same question as mentioned in the earlier posts. 2.You will be given scenarios and the interview will ask you how would you deal with them? 3.Previous experiences and how you handled your projects and more.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

First had a phone interview asking to explain my resume and one behavioral question regarding what I would do in a certain situation. Was immediately invited for an interview on site for the following week. Was flown up for the onsite interview and put in a nice hotel for the night. Had a tour of the city the night before the interviews and a dinner with some current employees. The day of the interview had two back to back thirty minute interviews with current employees that asked all behavioral questions. Interviewed on a Friday heard back on a Tuesday so very fast turn around.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Behavioral questions... Tell me about a time when...?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No offered me 47,000