Cerner

Average Difficulty
310 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Question – When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Solution Architect Interview

Solution Architect
Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in May 2014.

Interview Details – The recuiter reached out to me online to inquire about my experirence, and two weeks later, I was on a flight to KC to interview for the position. The Interview process was smooth, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Question – There were a lot of questions asking to site examples from previous work experience. If you are able to thin on the spot, and have a good memory, you should be fine. The interviewers were very nice and accomodating, so if you need to take a second, they will understand.   Answer Question

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Velocity Professional Services Consultant
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in January 2012.

Interview Details – My first interview was a phone interview, with very basic questions, mostly protocol related questions. We then proceeded to schedule a skype interview for my second interview since I was still in school and lived out of state. The skype interview was three rounds of interviews with different people with more behavioral based questions, not super hard but required some thought. Make sure to be as specific as possible when answering these questions because they want actual scenarios.

Interview Question – The most difficult question for me was a question about handling a change at work and how I adapted to it. Since I was working mostly basic jobs throughout college I had a hard time initially thinking of a specific situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me what I expected and a relocation package, so I was pleased.

Velocity Analyst Interview

Velocity Analyst
Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – The interview is very casual, they make you feel at ease. The interview is very situational based, so come in mind with specific examples of times you have succeded. You are interviewed by 3 different people, and it is OK to repeat storeis

Interview Question – Give me a time that you had to tailor a story to a particular audience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Early Childhood Teacher Interview

Early Childhood Teacher
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call requesting a phone interview less than 24 hours later. Scheduled a phone interview a week later, then the recruiter offered me an in person interview. When for the in person interview and interviewed with two different managers. I was then given a tour of the center. After going home I didn't hear anything for several weeks. I figured they picked another candidate. However out of the blue I got a phone call from the recruiter offering me the position.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult was asked. Just the main questions....

1. Tell us about yourself?
2. What kind of experience do you have?
3. What was one of the hardest things you have ever had to face in your line of work?
4. Why do you like working with children?
  Answer Question

Business Apprentice Interview

Business Apprentice
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on CernerCareers.com. Was contacted by phone a month later about an interview. After interviews waited two weeks to hear back. Once accepted I attended compass. Whole application to start date took about a month and a half.

Interview Question – Explain a weakness of yours. The trick is to be honest and not try to spin the question to make yourself look good. They want to hear your honest opinion of something you need to work on professionally .   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negations for salary for Apprentices. Set pay scale already in place. Pay raises every summer, as long as your credit hours have reached the next threshold.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – First Round HR - Details about your Resume(Work Exp and everything)
Second Round Technical - 1. Mainly concentrate on OOPS concept. They will ask you to design any game problem most ppbly the one listed in your resume (Please Note, they just ask you to design and not write program, so be clear with what you say). It may be Chess/Chinese Checkers or any other game.
2. Memory management in Java and C++ (Please be ready to explain about Garbage Collection in Brief)
3. Different Types of Testing (Diff between WhiteBox, BlackBox Testing, Unit Testing)
4. Be prepared for Behavioral Question eg( What if types)
PS: Be calm, answer Confidently you will surely get Onsite Call
Onsite Round (Two Round):
Round1 :
Behavioral
Dealing with tough Manager/Professor.
Technical:
1. Car and Paint Problem (Explain OOPS concept). It seems they love OOPS ,
2. Will give you a recursion problem and ask you to explain it(so called Dry Run)
3. What is Normalization,Denormalization
4. Longest Increasing Subsequence Problem (Surprising they added DP in their Question Bank), but still easy one .

Round 2:
Behavioral
Same as Round 1. I think you should be confident and good in making stories to Ace Behavioral.
Technical :
1. Binary Search
2. Print number from 1 to 75, If divided by 5 print "Foo" , If divided by 7 print "Bar", If Divided by both 5 and 7 print "FooBar"
3. Follow up on Q2 to improve the program .
Hint : Guys please when they ask you to improve algo, avoid modulus operator because it is more expensive). Think a bit about its Solution .Its very simple.
4. All types of Joins and explain them
5. Writing a Binary Tree for "CERNER"

Interview Question – Nothing , every thing is simple. The only thing is you should be clear with your basics and Fundamentals.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I liked the Offer. Best part you can get in any team you want.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – I don't think it's fair to give you the questions directly, but I'm happy to give you all of the steps you'll need to take to be in complete control of the interview and, more importantly, and give yourself a solid baseline knowledge of Linux, Networking, and general computing concepts.

Topics to thoroughly research:

1. Cloud Computing - what is it? What are various cloud computing models?
2. What's the difference between NAS and SAN?
3. Troubleshooting a PC that cannot connect to the internet - what Linux commands might you use to find the problem?
4. DNS - high level description followed by a deeper explanation of servers and process involved
  a. Resolving name, root, top level domain, and authoritative name servers
  b. MX and A Records
5. Ways possible to move a file from one place to another (literally any way you can think of)
6. Favorite and personally most useful Linux commands - ability to deeply explain 'why'
7. How to move files among various operating systems (namely from Windows to Linux)
8. Various remote desktop options for Linux (xrdp, putty, etc) - be familiar with two to three such methods
9. STAR interview techniques

Things I did that helped:

Preamble: calculated how many days from the time I found out about the on-site interview to the interview date and created a day by day, hour by hour study schedule that dealt with the following concepts:

Linux
  Command Line, shell scripting, managing users and groups / permissions, viewing network activity
MySQL
  Create, alter, move tables, data, and databases at the command line level
Networking
  Subnetting, typical network topologies, network devices (switches, routers, hubs), OSI Model

Specific things I did that gave me a high level of confidence fielding the interview questions:

1. Purchased a 'bare bones' PC and installed Linux (keep in mind Cerner is a Red Hat shop)
2. Installed LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
3. Setup and configured xrdp and putty
4. Setup and configured a website hosted on my Linux machine
5. Played around with MySQL at the terminal level (no intermediary software)
  a. Created databases / tables, dropped them
  b. Changed and altered charsets
  c. Changed characteristics of existing tables and fields
6. Practiced subnetting - CCNA style IP address / subnetting questions
7. Made a list of STAR style questions and wrote my answers to them

Interview Question – Do you just remote desktop into your linux box? Why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You should be aware that your interview performance is directly related to your ability to negotiate a desirable starting salary - I was able to successfully negotiate what I wanted.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied Online ,Heard Back from Recruiter after 2 weeks .Still waiting for the Interview Decision
Hr Screening : Basic Resume Overview Questions ,Gone Over Project Explained the Position
Telephonic Technical Interview :
Video Interview - 2 Rounds

Overall Interview is Process Oriented,Expecting to hear back from them about my Interview status

Interview Question – Telephonic Interview:
1.) What is Unit Testing
2.) What is Code Coverage
3.) Explain your projects.
4.) Tell me about a time you encountered a conflict with a Team Member
5.)OOPS Priniciple
Many Behavioural Questions

Video Interview : 2 1 hour Google Hangout Interview

Interview 1 : How did you fix a production Issue
                       Displayed acode and asked to find out the output for that .It was code for String Reversal?
                        Was Should a Code and was asked to find out about the Null Pointer Exception ?
                        Asked about Different Joins in SQL

Interview 2 : Write a code that printouts Foobar if the No is a multiple of 7 print Foo if multiple of 5 print bar if multiple of (7 and 5) print Foo Bar
2.) Explain Binary Search algorithm to find 9 from numbers 1 to 19
3.)Explain Projects
4.) Asked to Write String Reversal Logic
  View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – I had an initial campus interview at my school. They let you know that day/next day if you will be going to Kansas City for experience Cerner day and additional interviews. The interviews at WHQ in Kansas City were fine. They seemed to be more about personal interaction and teamwork, so have good examples of that. Then they will offer you the role within a few weeks, and you have to accept or decline in two weeks.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult was asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, standard pay for college graduate entry-level.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner interview questions and advice in Kansas City, MO. All 310 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees and interview candidates.