Cerner

2.6

337 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in October 2014.

The interview was a two-day process. Took us on a tour of KC, then had a 3 course meal to talk with recruiters. Very informative and relaxed, but that's where the interview starts, so ask questions. The night was on us, so we went to the Power & Light District for a beer that night. Next day were the interviews. Surprisingly laid back, with 2 interviews that were 30 minutes. Got a small tour of the campus after that and ate some lunch. All in all I had a fun experience. Good company culture.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral questions (be able to describe the situation, what happened, and what you did as a result.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cerner in October 2014.

So there's an initial in person/over the phone interview. This is basically a preliminary interview of sorts. This is to ask primarily behavioral based questions. Then they do two technical interviews in KC.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly function and object structure. One was create an object that tells a nurse the frequency of medicine that a patient must take.   Answer Question
    • Make an object that holds temperatures of a person and can say whether or not they have a fever.   Answer Question

Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in October 2014.

Sent Cerner my resume through an online campus website. There was a preselection process. I was selected to have a phone interview with a recruiter. Phone interview went well - what do you know about cerner, why do you want to work for cerner, what are you doing at your current job, really resume based.

Was selected for a person interview with 2 recruiters. One recruiter for 30 minutes each. Very behavioral questions

Interviewed Thursday and got an offer the following Monday!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you taught someone a technical skill, name a time you thought outside the box   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in October 2014.

I initially met with a Cerner recruiter on campus and was contacted 2 weeks later to visit their KC headquarters and participate in the Experience Cerner Day. The company put me up in a Hilton hotel in downtown KC (by power and light district) and provided us with delicious meals. The first day consists of a tour of downtown KC and dinner. The second day you do 2 interviews (30 mins a piece). These interviews are very laid back and conversational. Remember that these are behavioral based interviews, so remember your STAR responses (Situation, Task, Action, Results). Overall a very positive experience

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.
      Tell me about a time when you were innovative.
        Answer Question

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Applied online and was e-mailed to set up a phone interview, finished the phone interview and set up an in-person tour of the Headquarters in Kansas City and interviews to take place during visit. Still in the process of interviewing. Arrived at World Headquarters to have presentations, two 1:1 interviews, lunch, tour of the headquarters, and then send everyone on their way. As other posts have stated, recruiters state that it will be within two weeks that you'll hear of a decision from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to come up with an innovative solution with little or no direction   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in September 2014.

The whole interview process began with HR contacting me through Linkedin. First round was basic HR call going through my resume and my current role with the current employer. After two weeks there was a technical round. Interviewer was asking about basic behavioral questions. After a week there was on site call for final round. It was about two one hour interview by two different persons. Basic behavioral questions and asked to write a code for a specific given situation.

Interview Questions
    • Couple of questions regarding ACID properties using a real time scenario?   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Applied online
    Then email from a recruiter
    Then pre screening call
    Phone technical Interview
    Onsite Campus Visit with 2 back to back Technical Interviews.
    Waited 2 weeks to hear back

The technical interview is flawed, the systems engineer was very cocky but the second software engineer was nicer and had a good personality.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
    The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
    I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
    The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
    The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
    Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
    Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
    One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
    My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
    I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
    They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Questions
    • When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   View Answer
    I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

Recruiter found me on dice.com and emailed me June 27th we had 1 of 2 phone interviews on July 1st. Very basic questions, she asked about salary requirements, explain some of my background experience, discussed my willingness to relocate ect. She emailed me later that day to set up a phone interview with a fellow systems engineer which took place July 2nd. This was what they called technical but it wasn't anything too challenging. They said they would get back with me. I was surprised with the 4th of july weekend that they got back with me so quick but on July 7th I got an email to invite me out to Cerner on July 23rd.

I was flown in, and picked up at the airport by a 3rd party transport company and taken to the President Hilton Hotel downtown. Had a free voucher for a great dinner as well as a great free breakfast buffet. There where 7 candidates in total but they said they normally did not have that many. We got a great tour of the city and spent most of the day learning and touring Cerner. Including an awesome lunch with a systems engineer. It said blue jeans where allowable but nobody wore jeans. Only me and one other person wore suits but the recruiter did say they are trying to move towards a more professional attire.

There where two interviews both with fellow systems engineers and they where both very casual and pleasant. They told me they just volunteer for the interviews and they fill out a standard interview form. If you where comfortable with the 2nd phone interview these two are both very similar. Basic technical stuff and some behavior. I was defiantly expecting a more rigorous interview, but was very comfortable.

They called me 8/1 (10 days after the onsite interviews) and declined to extend me an offer.

I was a bit at a loss, as I got great feedback from all who interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • SAN vs NAS?
      What is a Wiki and a forum?
      List Linux commands you know?
      Know basic DB commands.
      Explain how you would work through a troubleshooting scenario.
      Explain a time when you had a software and hardware conflict and what did you do?
      Dealing with multiple deadlines how do you prioritize?
      Practices for keeping computer secure.
        Answer Question

Velocity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

The interview is very casual, they make you feel at ease. The interview is very situational based, so come in mind with specific examples of times you have succeded. You are interviewed by 3 different people, and it is OK to repeat storeis

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time that you had to tailor a story to a particular audience   Answer Question
    none