Cerner Interview Questions in Kansas City, MO

2.6

332 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

First was a phone interview. Very easy going. Next came a Cerner Day. Jumped into interviews immediately, had lunch, and toured the campus. Ended day with a panel of Cerner associates.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you implemented change and how did the results turn out.   Answer Question
    They offered more than I indicated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

I applied Online ,Heard Back from Recruiter after 2 weeks .Still waiting for the Interview Decision
    Hr Screening : Basic Resume Overview Questions ,Gone Over Project Explained the Position
    Telephonic Technical Interview :
    Video Interview - 2 Rounds

Overall Interview is Process Oriented,Expecting to hear back from them about my Interview status

Interview Questions
    • Telephonic Interview:
      1.) What is Unit Testing
      2.) What is Code Coverage
      3.) Explain your projects.
      4.) Tell me about a time you encountered a conflict with a Team Member
      5.)OOPS Priniciple
      Many Behavioural Questions

Video Interview : 2 1 hour Google Hangout Interview

Interview 1 : How did you fix a production Issue
                             Displayed acode and asked to find out the output for that .It was code for String Reversal?
                              Was Should a Code and was asked to find out about the Null Pointer Exception ?
                              Asked about Different Joins in SQL

Interview 2 : Write a code that printouts Foobar if the No is a multiple of 7 print Foo if multiple of 5 print bar if multiple of (7 and 5) print Foo Bar
      2.) Explain Binary Search algorithm to find 9 from numbers 1 to 19
      3.)Explain Projects
      4.) Asked to Write String Reversal Logic
        View Answers (2)

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

I don't think it's fair to give you the questions directly, but I'm happy to give you all of the steps you'll need to take to be in complete control of the interview and, more importantly, and give yourself a solid baseline knowledge of Linux, Networking, and general computing concepts.

Topics to thoroughly research:

1. Cloud Computing - what is it? What are various cloud computing models?
    2. What's the difference between NAS and SAN?
    3. Troubleshooting a PC that cannot connect to the internet - what Linux commands might you use to find the problem?
    4. DNS - high level description followed by a deeper explanation of servers and process involved
      a. Resolving name, root, top level domain, and authoritative name servers
      b. MX and A Records
    5. Ways possible to move a file from one place to another (literally any way you can think of)
    6. Favorite and personally most useful Linux commands - ability to deeply explain 'why'
    7. How to move files among various operating systems (namely from Windows to Linux)
    8. Various remote desktop options for Linux (xrdp, putty, etc) - be familiar with two to three such methods
    9. STAR interview techniques

Things I did that helped:

Preamble: calculated how many days from the time I found out about the on-site interview to the interview date and created a day by day, hour by hour study schedule that dealt with the following concepts:

Linux
      Command Line, shell scripting, managing users and groups / permissions, viewing network activity
    MySQL
      Create, alter, move tables, data, and databases at the command line level
    Networking
      Subnetting, typical network topologies, network devices (switches, routers, hubs), OSI Model

Specific things I did that gave me a high level of confidence fielding the interview questions:

1. Purchased a 'bare bones' PC and installed Linux (keep in mind Cerner is a Red Hat shop)
    2. Installed LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
    3. Setup and configured xrdp and putty
    4. Setup and configured a website hosted on my Linux machine
    5. Played around with MySQL at the terminal level (no intermediary software)
      a. Created databases / tables, dropped them
      b. Changed and altered charsets
      c. Changed characteristics of existing tables and fields
    6. Practiced subnetting - CCNA style IP address / subnetting questions
    7. Made a list of STAR style questions and wrote my answers to them

Interview Questions
    • Do you just remote desktop into your linux box? Why?   View Answer
    You should be aware that your interview performance is directly related to your ability to negotiate a desirable starting salary - I was able to successfully negotiate what I wanted.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Very professional and organized process. They excel at hiring and interviews.Starts with HR phone screening then phone interviews with management followed by a paid trip to Kansas City. Three managers conduct the interviews and then you present a powerpoint presentation on the subject of your choice to demonstrate public speaking skills.

Interview Questions
    • I believe the equipment was purposely tampered with during the presentation to assess coping skills under stressful situations.   View Answer
    Negotiations were very professional and successful.

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

The application online claims to be a "Velocity Professional Services Consultant" but the job is for an delivery consultant. The interview iteself is pretty easy.

1st - screening with campus recruiter. Questions asked include tell me about yourself and tell me a time you made a decision with little information.

2nd - they gave me the option to fly out to KC or do two skype interviews. I choose to fly out to KC, which includes a tour of KC the first night, the second day includes 2 1:1 interviews, then a tour of campus and a lot of presentations about Cerner.

Questions asked in both interviews are based off a pre-written sheet the interviewers are supposed to ask questions from. They then take notes on it. All questions are situational (tell me a time...). They basically the same question over and over again, so have many situations thought up in your mind. Use the STAR method as that is exactly what they are looking for (the interviewer even told me at the beginning of my interview)

Interviewed on a Friday. Received an offer on Monday. 50k, 4 grand signing/relocation.

Interview Questions
    • Typical ones (tell me a time you worked with someone difficult, tell me a time things didn't go as expected, tell me a time you worked in a group to accomplish something.   Answer Question

offer low, even for entry level. Based on the tour, it sounds like all decisions are what you do after training are based on "business need" which can mean anything. One person I talked to at the dinner they set up for us started in this position, but because of "business need" she was turned into a sales person.

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

A recruiter e-mailed me the next day after appling online to schedule a phone interview with her to discuss my background and job position that I applied for. The phone call took approximately 30 minutes and consisted of a couple basic behavioral questions but nothing major.

Once that was completed, she then scheduled me to have a technical interview 2 days later. It contained some behavioral questions, but mostly it was all technical questions. I'd suggest you brush up a little about cloud computing, networking, and databases some before you do interview, because these system engineer managers know what they're talking about and will know what you don't. The call took a little over 30 minutes to complete.

A few days later, I got a call back from the Cerner recruiter who set me up for an on-site interview, or what they call "Experience Cerner Day." This consisted of attending a tour of the city and dinner the night before. The tour was pretty educational, because you get to see a side of the city that has a lot of character. The dinner was awesome and they gave you a chance to speak with other system engineers that went through the velocity program to ask them questions about it as well as other questions about their day-to-day work lives. It was very informal and I think it helped us understand the Cerner culture better.

The next day consisted of going on-site where we talked with the Velocity programming manager and he gave a one-hour presentation of what the velocity program was. After that we had our 2 1-hour interview with different system engineers. It was mostly made up of STAR questions, so as long as you can relate to the question and come up with one of your experiences, you won't have a problem.

After that, we had lunch, tour of the continuous campus, and then watched a video. It was definitely an interesting experience and I look forward to working for them.

Interview Questions
    • Just read up on how STAR questions work and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

I had an initial interview with someone from HR. Typical behavioral and get-to-know-you type questions. My second interview, the "technical" interview, was with a System Engineer. He did not ask as many technical questions as I thought.

From what I've gathered, I think they realize they're going to teach you everything you need to know. They just want to hire a certain type of person, so they use the interviews to see what kind of person you are, not how experienced you are.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too out of the ordinary. They'll ask about your past projects you've done outside of class.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

The process started off with a phone interview. I was asked about my experience as an intern and other stuff about resume. The interviewer was sweet and had the patience to wait until I completed my answers. The second round was technical but was heavy on behavioral questions too. Most of the questions have appeared on blackboard.
    For the technical interview, a problem on designing a game (chess or checkers) will surely appear. Make sure you have written it down somewhere for reference if you get lost. The key is to remain calm and answer to the point.
    I will be flying to Kansas in two days. Will post my experience when I return

Interview Questions
    • Some of the behavioral questions were tricky like "Give an instance where you had a discord with your supervisor and how did you handle it?" . Although they may seem easy now, at that moment you need to dig deep and piece them in a right way   View Answers (3)

Velocity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

The Interview process uses S.T.A.R behavior based questions. Be prepared for difficult questions and be very detailed.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you implemented an new plan that was not well received by all.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

In telephonic interview mainly I was asked about the behavioral questions followed by few technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design classes using oops foe a chess game   Answer Question