Cerner

2.6

342 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

Recruiter found me on dice.com and emailed me June 27th we had 1 of 2 phone interviews on July 1st. Very basic questions, she asked about salary requirements, explain some of my background experience, discussed my willingness to relocate ect. She emailed me later that day to set up a phone interview with a fellow systems engineer which took place July 2nd. This was what they called technical but it wasn't anything too challenging. They said they would get back with me. I was surprised with the 4th of july weekend that they got back with me so quick but on July 7th I got an email to invite me out to Cerner on July 23rd.

I was flown in, and picked up at the airport by a 3rd party transport company and taken to the President Hilton Hotel downtown. Had a free voucher for a great dinner as well as a great free breakfast buffet. There where 7 candidates in total but they said they normally did not have that many. We got a great tour of the city and spent most of the day learning and touring Cerner. Including an awesome lunch with a systems engineer. It said blue jeans where allowable but nobody wore jeans. Only me and one other person wore suits but the recruiter did say they are trying to move towards a more professional attire.

There where two interviews both with fellow systems engineers and they where both very casual and pleasant. They told me they just volunteer for the interviews and they fill out a standard interview form. If you where comfortable with the 2nd phone interview these two are both very similar. Basic technical stuff and some behavior. I was defiantly expecting a more rigorous interview, but was very comfortable.

They called me 8/1 (10 days after the onsite interviews) and declined to extend me an offer.

I was a bit at a loss, as I got great feedback from all who interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • SAN vs NAS?
      What is a Wiki and a forum?
      List Linux commands you know?
      Know basic DB commands.
      Explain how you would work through a troubleshooting scenario.
      Explain a time when you had a software and hardware conflict and what did you do?
      Dealing with multiple deadlines how do you prioritize?
      Practices for keeping computer secure.

Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

They flew me out to kansas city for 3 interviews to be conducted in one day. Each were to be an hour long and be done by around 11:00.

1st interview: The interviewer was late. She asked me several questions quickly. They assisted people in hospitals with the Cerner software similar to a help desk. They would likely be working longer hours and have to deal with anger clients. This did not feel like a position I would like. She received a call and left the interview early.

2nd interview: This was the most sincere man I have met. He has been at Cerner for a very long time and was used to the life. He let me know that I would be also assisting hospitals in similar timezone to Kansas city so I would not have to work long hours unless the situation required it. It sounded like a promising position.

3rd interview: This guy was much younger than my previous interviewer and worked in Emerging Technologies. He said I would be working on a team of people who manage linux servers and support the software that that team uses.
    He asked me questions like:
    How much linux experience do you have?
    Have you ever created bash scripts?
    What is your favorite one-line command?
    Do have have any experience with monitoring solutions?

Interview Questions
    I was extended an offer and had one week to decide if I wanted the offer. They also offered to pay up to $3000 to assist with moving costs.
    (The price is based on location) I hear some get more or less depending on how close to Kansas city you are.

Velocity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

The interview is very casual, they make you feel at ease. The interview is very situational based, so come in mind with specific examples of times you have succeded. You are interviewed by 3 different people, and it is OK to repeat storeis

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time that you had to tailor a story to a particular audience   Answer Question
    none

Early Childhood Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner.

Applied online, got a call requesting a phone interview less than 24 hours later. Scheduled a phone interview a week later, then the recruiter offered me an in person interview. When for the in person interview and interviewed with two different managers. I was then given a tour of the center. After going home I didn't hear anything for several weeks. I figured they picked another candidate. However out of the blue I got a phone call from the recruiter offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult was asked. Just the main questions....

1. Tell us about yourself?
      2. What kind of experience do you have?
      3. What was one of the hardest things you have ever had to face in your line of work?
      4. Why do you like working with children?

Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

I was contacted by a senior recruiter for the Solution Architect position after I had previously applied for a position with Cerner. After being contacted by this recruiter, I went through the first-level application on the Cerner website. I was then provided a phone interview within 5 business days with the senior recruiter to discuss the basics of the job. After completion of the initial phone interview, I received an e-mail about 3 business days after the phone interview from another member of the HR team at Cerner to schedule my on-site interview. I was scheduled to meet with three individuals (2 Directors and 1 Manger) and was told the process would take about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

The first person I met with shared the basics regarding travel, expected knowledge level, desired knowledge/skills/abilities, and some info about the team I will be working with. She also shared her experience of "a day in the life" of a Solution Architect and her general experience at Cerner.

The second person I met with shared a few more technical aspects of the position and he also shared his experience of "a day in the life" of a Solution Architect and his general experience at Cerner.

The third person was more cut and dry, sticking primarily to interview questions, etc. She did, however, provide her experience of "a day in the life" of Solution Architect and her general experience at Cerner.

ALL three of these individuals had several behavioral or situational questions which seemed like standard interview questions to me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you provided an innovative solution to a problem, but had to troubleshoot or provide damage control for other issues discovered after implementing your solution.   Answer Question
    I have received an informal offer, but have not yet received the formal offer of employment.

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

First Round HR - Details about your Resume(Work Exp and everything)
    Second Round Technical - 1. Mainly concentrate on OOPS concept. They will ask you to design any game problem most ppbly the one listed in your resume (Please Note, they just ask you to design and not write program, so be clear with what you say). It may be Chess/Chinese Checkers or any other game.
    2. Memory management in Java and C++ (Please be ready to explain about Garbage Collection in Brief)
    3. Different Types of Testing (Diff between WhiteBox, BlackBox Testing, Unit Testing)
    4. Be prepared for Behavioral Question eg( What if types)
    PS: Be calm, answer Confidently you will surely get Onsite Call
    Onsite Round (Two Round):
    Round1 :
    Behavioral
    Dealing with tough Manager/Professor.
    Technical:
    1. Car and Paint Problem (Explain OOPS concept). It seems they love OOPS ,
    2. Will give you a recursion problem and ask you to explain it(so called Dry Run)
    3. What is Normalization,Denormalization
    4. Longest Increasing Subsequence Problem (Surprising they added DP in their Question Bank), but still easy one .

Round 2:
    Behavioral
    Same as Round 1. I think you should be confident and good in making stories to Ace Behavioral.
    Technical :
    1. Binary Search
    2. Print number from 1 to 75, If divided by 5 print "Foo" , If divided by 7 print "Bar", If Divided by both 5 and 7 print "FooBar"
    3. Follow up on Q2 to improve the program .
    Hint : Guys please when they ask you to improve algo, avoid modulus operator because it is more expensive). Think a bit about its Solution .Its very simple.
    4. All types of Joins and explain them
    5. Writing a Binary Tree for "CERNER"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing , every thing is simple. The only thing is you should be clear with your basics and Fundamentals.   View Answer
    I liked the Offer. Best part you can get in any team you want.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner.

I had an initial campus interview at my school. They let you know that day/next day if you will be going to Kansas City for experience Cerner day and additional interviews. The interviews at WHQ in Kansas City were fine. They seemed to be more about personal interaction and teamwork, so have good examples of that. Then they will offer you the role within a few weeks, and you have to accept or decline in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, standard pay for college graduate entry-level.

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in May 2014.

The recuiter reached out to me online to inquire about my experirence, and two weeks later, I was on a flight to KC to interview for the position. The Interview process was smooth, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of questions asking to site examples from previous work experience. If you are able to thin on the spot, and have a good memory, you should be fine. The interviewers were very nice and accomodating, so if you need to take a second, they will understand.   Answer Question

Velocity Professional Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

First was a phone interview. Very easy going. Next came a Cerner Day. Jumped into interviews immediately, had lunch, and toured the campus. Ended day with a panel of Cerner associates.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you implemented change and how did the results turn out.   Answer Question
    They offered more than I indicated.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

I don't think it's fair to give you the questions directly, but I'm happy to give you all of the steps you'll need to take to be in complete control of the interview and, more importantly, and give yourself a solid baseline knowledge of Linux, Networking, and general computing concepts.

Topics to thoroughly research:

1. Cloud Computing - what is it? What are various cloud computing models?
    2. What's the difference between NAS and SAN?
    3. Troubleshooting a PC that cannot connect to the internet - what Linux commands might you use to find the problem?
    4. DNS - high level description followed by a deeper explanation of servers and process involved
      a. Resolving name, root, top level domain, and authoritative name servers
      b. MX and A Records
    5. Ways possible to move a file from one place to another (literally any way you can think of)
    6. Favorite and personally most useful Linux commands - ability to deeply explain 'why'
    7. How to move files among various operating systems (namely from Windows to Linux)
    8. Various remote desktop options for Linux (xrdp, putty, etc) - be familiar with two to three such methods
    9. STAR interview techniques

Things I did that helped:

Preamble: calculated how many days from the time I found out about the on-site interview to the interview date and created a day by day, hour by hour study schedule that dealt with the following concepts:

Linux
      Command Line, shell scripting, managing users and groups / permissions, viewing network activity
    MySQL
      Create, alter, move tables, data, and databases at the command line level
    Networking
      Subnetting, typical network topologies, network devices (switches, routers, hubs), OSI Model

Specific things I did that gave me a high level of confidence fielding the interview questions:

1. Purchased a 'bare bones' PC and installed Linux (keep in mind Cerner is a Red Hat shop)
    2. Installed LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
    3. Setup and configured xrdp and putty
    4. Setup and configured a website hosted on my Linux machine
    5. Played around with MySQL at the terminal level (no intermediary software)
      a. Created databases / tables, dropped them
      b. Changed and altered charsets
      c. Changed characteristics of existing tables and fields
    6. Practiced subnetting - CCNA style IP address / subnetting questions
    7. Made a list of STAR style questions and wrote my answers to them

Interview Questions
    • Do you just remote desktop into your linux box? Why?   View Answer
    You should be aware that your interview performance is directly related to your ability to negotiate a desirable starting salary - I was able to successfully negotiate what I wanted.