Cerner

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – I talked to the recruiters at the career fair. They set me up with an interview there for the next day. The questions were mostly technical, almost no behavioral, which I wasn't expecting. Asked about garbage collection, different languages, some object oriented design questions. The guy who interviewed me was a software engineer and a really friendly guy.

Interview Question – Asked about different types of testing.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – 1. You start out with a basic phone interview. They'll just ask some basic stuff about your resume and they'll tell you more about Cerner.
2. Another phone interview. This time it is with one of the Cerner software engineers. They'll ask you what you know about the languages/projects on your resume and some basic computer science/programming questions.
3. On campus interview. You'll have to go to KC so that they can interview you in person. There's two one-hour interviews, both of them technical and similar to the second interview. They'll ask you some question and you'll have to write it on a whiteboard and explain your code and reasoning. Noo too difficult though.

Interview Question – They'll give you some Java code and ask you what part could result to some errors.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2012.

Interview Details – I talked with Cerner recruiters at the university career fair and handed the resume. They contacted me after 2 days and scheduled a over the phone interview. The interview was pretty much technical and asked basic OOP questions (classes, subclasses, encapsulation, memory leaks... etc). I was selected to proceed after the first interview and got an invitation for "Experience Cerner day" They provided room and board, There were two on-site interviews and the first one was with a Cerner Software Architect, he asked most of the technical questions and there were recursion and array list questions. The second interview was with a HR person and he asked all the behavioral based questions, Tell me about a technical situation where you had to...etc.

Interview Question – all the questions in the second on-site interview started with "Tell me about a technical situation" so, I was not well planned to provide answers to the point since I didn't have much experience.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2012.

Interview Details – Over phone:
1 HR phone screen
1 semi-technical phone interview with an engineer
On Site:
1 half technical, half behavioral with a senior engineer
1 behavioral with a project manager

On site consisted of a tour of Kansas City in a bus and dinner at a downtown restaurant. Interview day consists of two interviews, various presentations by speakers, videos, a tour of their campus, and lunch.

Interview Questions

• What are some examples of testing?   View Answer
  • Construct a binary tree with the word "CERNER"   View Answer
  • Given a sorted array of 10 elements, explain how a binary search would work for an element and show the trace for low, mid, and high.   View Answer
  • (Given a string reverse code using recursion). Show the output and trace of this code   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Compensation was too low. Did not want to relocate to Kansas City

Kansas City, MO

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in October 2011.

Interview Details – They really wined and dined the interns. We did a dinner, and two 30 min 1:1 interviews. All of the engineers seemed really drained, while the recruiters were very lively. The facilities are pretty over the top. Everything reminded me of a young google

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I declined because while they have all the amenities, it is because they expect you to work 60 hours a week

Kansas City, MO

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Cerner in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed as a freshman in college and was asked a lot about subjects that I had not covered in classes yet. Another unfortunate thing about this interview is that they will only interview a person once a year so that in spring 2011 I could not reinterview with them once I actually knew the subjects that they had been asking about previously.

Anyways, the interview in retrospect is not hard, just know data structures well.

Interview Question – I was shown some embedded C code and asked what it was doing.   View Answer

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2011.

Interview Details – Started with Telephonic Interview and was invited for two 1:1 interview at their campus @ Kansas City.

The telephonic interview was on OOPS, Data Structures and some basic computer concept which a compsci undergrad can manage comfortably.

1:1 interview was very tricky as I dint know on what scale they ll grade the candidate. Everyone felt they did well. As it was all behavioral question and it can never have a right or a wrong answer to it.

One of my friend who took this interview couple of week before me dint clear the interview though he thought he did well.

The campus was good and their walk through around their innovation center was one good experience. Thanks Cerner, I will consider myself lucky if i get to have an opportunity to work with you..

I feel international students and experience candidate will be turn down by Cerner for this position. As it happened in my case. My interview went very well and I answered all their question. I am a 3 year experience candidate. But still ended up rejected. May be its not my piece of cake :-)

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in May 2009.

Interview Details – It had three back to back interviews. The first interview was behavioral, and the second interview was albeit more technical, but nothing really hard (questions were composed of questions like the difference between linked list and an array). The third interview was albeit more challenging, with some unexpected conceptual questions.

Interview Question – What is a diamond problem?   View Answer

Kansas City, MO

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in April 2009.

Interview Details – They start with a phone interview, then if they like you they invite you to a 2 day interview process. The first day you have 2 back to back interviews, where they ask specific questions regarding programming languages, such as how to define a new member in a class or something like that, and questions about databases and networking. Then the second day they make you wear a suit and take a tour of the world headquarters, learning about the company more. Basically, they build your hopes up to the point of making it seem like you already have the job, then a week later they crush it and say they don't want you. Complete bull**** process if you ask me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner Software Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees and interview candidates.