Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Got a call from the HR and then a Skype call (HireView) with a Technical Lead where he tested my analytical skills along with a problem solving question for class Allergy

Interview Questions

• How will you go about solving a high-end problem?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner.

Interview

The interview process is well organized and swift. My hiring recruiter was very helpful and responded quickly to emails. The interview questions are not out-of-this-world difficult. If you do well in school and are a competent computer scientist, you will be able to give good answers. They will look for your skills and interests so they can figure out which team at Cerner (if any) you belong to.

Interview Questions

• Design a class to hold data about something medical related, like an allergy or medicine. Answer a few behavioral questions involving group work.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter a couple days after applying through their website. Recruiter called a few days later for a screening and offered me another 1 on 1 interview using a Web Applet.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

HR contacted me and asked for availability.
    Initial phone screening - background and some standard questions.
    Followed by onsite interview - 3 rounds.
    Mostly design based and resume based questions.
    Got offer within 2 days of onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Design based questions that you can find in glass-door.
      Questions related to projects in resume.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner in April 2015.

Interview

Got response in ONE week and schedule a HR interview. Last for 50 minutes. The interview let you describe you current job, describe yourself and your current employment authorization status. They asked a lot about how you did testing in your job because 80% of their codes are used for testing. I think it would be nice if you have similar experience. The recruiter is nice, patient and very willing to answer questions. Ask everything you want to know about the company and position.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online received an email with in a week from the HR team to schedule the phone interview for the HR round which was mostly related to the behavioral questions and discussing the resume.
    HR was very helpful and told to get back within a week for the future rounds expecting to get to the second round HR was very nice and humble. I would say be prepared for the lots of behavioral questions and be tho-row with your resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

Mostly design questions and few behavorial questions. Second phone round was more techincal, but mostly focussed on design. Asked me more about my previous job which was nice. The interviewer had a calming influence.
    Onsite:
     About two weeks later they asked me to come to something called experience Cerner day. They take you around the City and feed you the day before. Then you visit the Innovations campus where they give you a company overview which is followed by two more technical interviews.
     It was good experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Malvern, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process was pretty straightforward: first I had a phone conversation with a 3rd party technical recruiter they had hired to find someone to fill the position that went over some of my basic skills and knowledge from undergrad. Following this I was given an onsite interview that was first with two people on the development team whom I would later work with if I got the job, followed by a one on one with the team manager. I believe there was supposed to be a third portion of the interview with someone higher up in the company but they had some urgent issue that day and couldn't make it.

Interview was mostly non-technical and based around general background and personality, a few questions about the relevant programming language were asked but nothing that couldn't be answered in a few sentences. No coding or problem solving portion of the interview and no follow-up interview. Overall I'd say it was probably a bit too easy and they could do more to try and screen candidates to ensure they have real knowledge or problem solving skills.

Interview Questions

• If you had to determine whether a padlock was functioning properly with only 3 tests, what tests would you use?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online on their website. I received an email from a recruiter to schedule a interview. A week later, I got the first interview. The first interview was basic HR questions and resume related question. She asked desired salary, work experience, visa status and gpa.
    A week later, I had a video interview with an engineer. I expected questions from glass door, but it was mainly about advanced and detailed questions about things on my resume. He then explained details of his job and his team.
    The interviewer was very nice and knowledgeable, but his microphone was not working properly, so it was really hard for me to understand his questions, and whole interview was hard because of that. Overall, it was a great experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cerner in December 2014.

Interview

First round was a basic HR phone interview. Basic questions off your resume. Was told the next round would be technical and require you to answer health-related coding questions in whichever language you are most comfortable with. This was done online using HireVue, but interviewer lost connection about halfway through, didn't get to any coding questions (although tried to get me to walk through a language I was fairly weak at before losing connection a little into it) and most questions were behavioral and based off the resume. Just finished today so haven't heard back yet.