Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

2.5

114 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manhattan, KS
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2011.

Initial interest is based solely on resume's. Cerner is hiring a lot, so they use cursory looks to week out obvious incompetents. The 2-round initial interviews are with HR people, regardless of how technical the position is, so they are looking for buzzwords and people skills. The questionnaire they have you fill out, however, is reviewed by someone with more technical experience.

Expect questions on what languages you are proficient with, and other similar skills (databases, web design, etc.) They are looking mostly for C++ and Java people, but also have places for Ruby, Groovy, and some others. Expect a question on a difficult coding bug and how you resolved it. Expect a question on a difficult team situation (Suppose a team member is being hostile or uncooperative...) and how you resolved that. Expect questions on experience with development in a team environment.

If you pass both rounds of interviews, you are offered a job.

Interview Questions
  • Describe the most difficult software bug you ever encountered in software you were developing, how you approached it, and how you resolved it (if you resolved it).   View Answer
They did not appear open to negotiation, though I did not try. They had offer letters pre-printed with the salary already typed in. Because they are doing a lot of hiring, I do not think negotiation will be possible for entry-level positions, though others might see more success.

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Applied through Employee Referral. Process took two weeks. First round was a HR round and then got scheduled for a three hour Skype Interview with three teams. I was allowed to choose between Skype or Onsite Interview and i chose Skype. All the questions are posted here. Lots of behavioral questions. Questions on Resume. Waiting for an Answer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you trouble shooter and failed.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cerner.

Initial HR call: Within a week from application.
    Usual resume-related questions. Rate yourself in each known language, best project etc.
    Technical Phone call: Immediate week of the HR call
    Theory question related to databases; how to improve access speed, one technical data structure related question, design a structure for game of chess, questions related to debugging.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in July 2013.

Fake promises

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in October 2013.

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2012.

First phone interview - HR based. Then three 1:1 interview - behavioral and 1 code.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Cerner in March 2013.

1 phone call HR interview 30 min, 1 technical Phone call interview 30 min, Two 30 mins Technical + Decision making interview

Didn't negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2013.

Recruited from a campus career fair.

The Skype interview consisted of two parts: typical personality questionnaire and a technical portion.

"Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with your boss."
    "Tell me about a project you worked on that you're proud of."
    "Can you explain what a garbage collector is?"
    "Tell me how you would create a program for a simple game, like chess or checkers in an OOL."

Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in September 2013.

Easy and very organized interview process. Standard questions from glassdoor like prepare BST with duplicates for "CERNER", write a program to find max number read input from user and return max number. ACID properties. Given a program and asked to find what exceptions will occur in this.

Interview Questions

Not the exact profile I was looking for and salary non negotiable.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in September 2013.

On campus interview scheduled after a career fair, got an email to appear for an interview. Very fast process..still waiting on the feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't expect technical questions because it was noted by the recruiter or maybe i didn't do my home work but overall, it was a first ever job interview for a future career in software engineering and this has opened my eyes. Gotta get back to learning....   View Answers (2)

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!