Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner in April 2015.

Interview

Got response in ONE week and schedule a HR interview. Last for 50 minutes. The interview let you describe you current job, describe yourself and your current employment authorization status. They asked a lot about how you did testing in your job because 80% of their codes are used for testing. I think it would be nice if you have similar experience. The recruiter is nice, patient and very willing to answer questions. Ask everything you want to know about the company and position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online received an email with in a week from the HR team to schedule the phone interview for the HR round which was mostly related to the behavioral questions and discussing the resume.
    HR was very helpful and told to get back within a week for the future rounds expecting to get to the second round HR was very nice and humble. I would say be prepared for the lots of behavioral questions and be tho-row with your resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Malvern, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process was pretty straightforward: first I had a phone conversation with a 3rd party technical recruiter they had hired to find someone to fill the position that went over some of my basic skills and knowledge from undergrad. Following this I was given an onsite interview that was first with two people on the development team whom I would later work with if I got the job, followed by a one on one with the team manager. I believe there was supposed to be a third portion of the interview with someone higher up in the company but they had some urgent issue that day and couldn't make it.

Interview was mostly non-technical and based around general background and personality, a few questions about the relevant programming language were asked but nothing that couldn't be answered in a few sentences. No coding or problem solving portion of the interview and no follow-up interview. Overall I'd say it was probably a bit too easy and they could do more to try and screen candidates to ensure they have real knowledge or problem solving skills.

Interview Questions

• If you had to determine whether a padlock was functioning properly with only 3 tests, what tests would you use?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online on their website. I received an email from a recruiter to schedule a interview. A week later, I got the first interview. The first interview was basic HR questions and resume related question. She asked desired salary, work experience, visa status and gpa.
    A week later, I had a video interview with an engineer. I expected questions from glass door, but it was mainly about advanced and detailed questions about things on my resume. He then explained details of his job and his team.
    The interviewer was very nice and knowledgeable, but his microphone was not working properly, so it was really hard for me to understand his questions, and whole interview was hard because of that. Overall, it was a great experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cerner in December 2014.

Interview

First round was a basic HR phone interview. Basic questions off your resume. Was told the next round would be technical and require you to answer health-related coding questions in whichever language you are most comfortable with. This was done online using HireVue, but interviewer lost connection about halfway through, didn't get to any coding questions (although tried to get me to walk through a language I was fairly weak at before losing connection a little into it) and most questions were behavioral and based off the resume. Just finished today so haven't heard back yet.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

I applied online, got call from HR with basic behavioral questions, questions about resume experience, then follow-up skype interview that was technical, lasted about an hour. Waiting to hear back, and not sure if there are more rounds to come

Interview Questions

• Basic OOPs stuff - create a class that has info about some disease, and can be updated easily, how would you record the time of the disease report   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A mix between behavioral questions and your experience with different languages. They asked questions that ranged from "Describe a time where you had to tell someone they were doing something wrong, and how did you approach them?" to "Give me a language where you have to manage your memory and one that you don't have to manage it"

Interview Questions

• How would you go about debugging your code if a client brought up issues with the program.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

So there's an initial in person/over the phone interview. This is basically a preliminary interview of sorts. This is to ask primarily behavioral based questions. Then they do two technical interviews in KC.

Interview Questions

• Mainly function and object structure. One was create an object that tells a nurse the frequency of medicine that a patient must take.   Answer Question
    • Make an object that holds temperatures of a person and can say whether or not they have a fever.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner in October 2014.

Interview

The Interview process is pretty moderate. First round is HR. Questions based on Resume such as Work Exp (if any) or Academic Projects and other some basic questions. Second Round is Technical. These both rounds are on Phone. If you clear these rounds then you get call for onsite interview. 2 one hr interviews based on behavioral and Technical questions.

Interview Questions

• I still cleared first round and got selected for Technical Round. Still awaiting that.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Started with a phone-interview. Basic behavioral questions regarding goals and past experiences. Second interview was also by phone. Consisted of talking 1 on 1 with an engineer. Second interview had more technical questions compared to the first interview. The technical questions were pretty simple and should be information that most freshman in CS should know.