Cerner

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Getting the Interview

99 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in October 2010.

Interview Details – I got call through one consultant and had interview with Cerner. Process consisted of 2 rounds of. hard core technical interviews, They asked me A - Z in Core java, it was more of a paper work. They were concentrating mainly on our project in previous company. 100 times they asked me " what was the most challenging work which you had done ", however we answer, they wont get satisfied with our answers !!!!!!!!!!
Java qns were too good, covering each and every topic..I could answer nicely but was rejected. From consultant I came to know that reason of rejection was I had a career gap of just 2 months since I relocated from Chennai. I had cleared those 2 tough technical interview but still rejected because of the reason that I was not working then !!!!!!!!!! really very very bad mentality, no consideration is given for my technical knowledge !!!!!!!!

Interview Question – What was the challenging work in your career   Answer Question

Software Engineer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interview basically consisted of a decent number of questions. Most of the questions touched on some of the fundamental aspects of software and software design like Object Oriented Programming - OOPs concepts, Java/C++ , Multi - threading, database and its management (RDBMS - if I am not wrong).

They got back to me in 2 weeks saying that I didnt make it. I was not happy with it, because I answered ALL the questions adequately.
Nevertheless I am sure something was wrong which I am still not aware of.

Interview Question – What is a deadlock?   Answer Question

Software Engineer

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in February 2010.

Interview Details – The first interview was very standard. If you do well enough on that one they call you in for two more 30-minute interviews, one is a more in depth interview with someone in your field and the other is mostly a test of some programming concepts. The test is completely verbal. Be sure to review some the concepts of object oriented design (inheritance and polymorphism especially). I didn't do so well on the test portion, some of the questions on Glassdoor are exactly what were asked (the chess question and others) so try and have answers ready for them.

Interview Questions

• Explain some of the ideas behind Object Oriented programming   Answer Question
  • What would you change about your favorite programming language?   Answer Question
  • Explain the differences between searching through a linked list vs. a binary tree   View Answer
  • If you were designing a program to simulate a game like chess or checkers, explain some of the classes that you would create to achieve this.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2012.

Interview Details – First phone interview - HR based. Then three 1:1 interview - behavioral and 1 code.

Interview Question – Asked to write a program.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in April 2013.

Interview Details – There were 2 technical rounds where in I was asked questions from C++ and OOPS.
I was also asked about my project experience - positive and negative.

Interview Question – I was asked questions from my work experience -
    Made decisions.
    Managed projects.
    Influenced others.
    Made recommendations for improvement.
    Came up with innovative ideas.
    Solved a problem.
    Coached others.
    Handled a conflict.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate much.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cerner in March 2012.

Interview Details – Following were the Interview Qs:

Intro:
• Tell me about yourself
• Why do u want to work at Cerner
> Why you want to leave you current job
> Best thing about your job
> Least thing you liked abt your job

HR:
• Describe a situation where you have difficulties with your team members
• Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you succeeded
• Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you failed
• What are your 3 biggest achievements so far
• were the Managers unhappy about your work anytime?
• What is the biggest mistake you made in a past job.
• What was the challenging work in your career

Techie:
• If a user reports that an application is slow, what steps would you take?
• What are scopes in programming languages and their uses?
• Explain a chess board in term of OOPS. What methods, functions, etc
• How would you go about designing a program that determines whether or not a number is prime?
• How would you go about coding a game of checkers?
• What's the difference in encapsulation and inheritance?
• What is database normalization?
• Make a binary tree where the nodes are the letters in "Cerner".
• String reversal program was given and I was told to explain the output.
• Question about unit testing. How to create unit test cases.
• What is a deadlock?
• If there was anything you wanted to change about a programming language, what would it be?
• How will you manage the memory while programming.
• Complexity of linked list and tree insertion
• explain a time when you used polymorphism
• DBMS vs RDBMS
• Linked List implementation

Interview Questions

• • Tell me about yourself
    • Why do u want to work at Cerner
      Answer Question
  • • Describe a situation where you have difficulties with your team members

• Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you succeeded
    • Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you failed
    • What are your 3 biggest achievements so far
    • were the Managers unhappy about your work anytime?

• What is the biggest mistake you made in a past job.
    • What was the challenging work in your career

Negotiation Details – I dint try but u can if hv experience of atleast 6 months

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in May 2009.

Interview Details – There was a one on one interview at the University of Iowa. Then there was another interview the next day with a panel of engineers. I then had a technical interview and a behavioral interview. After that long process, I was invited to Kansas City for a tour and a dinner with some of the recruiters and a large group of engineers.

After that I was asked to take a job 2 weeks later with a very good salary for the Kansas City area. The average salary in Kansas City is about $34,000, so I was very happy with the salary I was offered.

Interview Question – Name a team project you have completed and some of the difficulties that came with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate my offer. I took the offer within 2 weeks because I had previously interned at the company. Not many companies are giving a signing bonus right now with economy the way it is. Cerner is a great place to work.

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was easy, first round was just HR round with very few direct questions. like what are you current roles and responsibilites.
Why are you looking to change ? blah blah..
1:1 was second round and they just ask you couple of very basic questions and next to write an algorithm or describe how you would design any given task.. They asked me to how would I build a Chess game.. give them couple of class names and methods and interfaces and what do they do was my answer to their question ..

Interview Question – Design a chess board..   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They don't hear you..

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in March 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied online, and was asked to be apart of initial screening interviews happening at my university. The initial screen consisted of technical and behavioral type questions. They definitely weren't too hard on me considering I had no previous work experience and was just graduating college. Next they invited me to their World Headquarters for a weekend trip, where they paid for my hotel room on the plaza. The first night they took everyone out to dinner and gave the recruits the opportunity to ask questions to Cerner veterans. The next half day consisted of 2 more interviews, one technical, the other behavioral. I felt like I completely bombed the technical, but I got an offer regardless.

Interview Question – How would you go about coding a game of checkers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate, but plenty of my friends did successfully. It never hurts to try.

Kansas City, MO

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in March 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview, heard back several weeks later, then got transported to KC for an on site interview. Several weeks after that got the job.

Interview Question – Design a chessboard using an object-oriented approach   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 99 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees and interview candidates.