Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.6

124 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner in May 2009.

There was a one on one interview at the University of Iowa. Then there was another interview the next day with a panel of engineers. I then had a technical interview and a behavioral interview. After that long process, I was invited to Kansas City for a tour and a dinner with some of the recruiters and a large group of engineers.

After that I was asked to take a job 2 weeks later with a very good salary for the Kansas City area. The average salary in Kansas City is about $34,000, so I was very happy with the salary I was offered.

Interview Questions
  • Name a team project you have completed and some of the difficulties that came with it.   Answer Question
I did not negotiate my offer. I took the offer within 2 weeks because I had previously interned at the company. Not many companies are giving a signing bonus right now with economy the way it is. Cerner is a great place to work.

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in October 2009.

The interview basically consisted of a decent number of questions. Most of the questions touched on some of the fundamental aspects of software and software design like Object Oriented Programming - OOPs concepts, Java/C++ , Multi - threading, database and its management (RDBMS - if I am not wrong).

They got back to me in 2 weeks saying that I didnt make it. I was not happy with it, because I answered ALL the questions adequately.
    Nevertheless I am sure something was wrong which I am still not aware of.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner in October 2010.

I got call through one consultant and had interview with Cerner. Process consisted of 2 rounds of. hard core technical interviews, They asked me A - Z in Core java, it was more of a paper work. They were concentrating mainly on our project in previous company. 100 times they asked me " what was the most challenging work which you had done ", however we answer, they wont get satisfied with our answers !!!!!!!!!!
    Java qns were too good, covering each and every topic..I could answer nicely but was rejected. From consultant I came to know that reason of rejection was I had a career gap of just 2 months since I relocated from Chennai. I had cleared those 2 tough technical interview but still rejected because of the reason that I was not working then !!!!!!!!!! really very very bad mentality, no consideration is given for my technical knowledge !!!!!!!!

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner in February 2010.

The first interview was very standard. If you do well enough on that one they call you in for two more 30-minute interviews, one is a more in depth interview with someone in your field and the other is mostly a test of some programming concepts. The test is completely verbal. Be sure to review some the concepts of object oriented design (inheritance and polymorphism especially). I didn't do so well on the test portion, some of the questions on Glassdoor are exactly what were asked (the chess question and others) so try and have answers ready for them.

Interview Questions
    • Explain some of the ideas behind Object Oriented programming   Answer Question
    • What would you change about your favorite programming language?   Answer Question
    • Explain the differences between searching through a linked list vs. a binary tree   View Answer
    • If you were designing a program to simulate a game like chess or checkers, explain some of the classes that you would create to achieve this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cerner in March 2012.

Following were the Interview Qs:

Intro:
    • Tell me about yourself
    • Why do u want to work at Cerner
    > Why you want to leave you current job
    > Best thing about your job
    > Least thing you liked abt your job

HR:
    • Describe a situation where you have difficulties with your team members
    • Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you succeeded
    • Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you failed
    • What are your 3 biggest achievements so far
    • were the Managers unhappy about your work anytime?
    • What is the biggest mistake you made in a past job.
    • What was the challenging work in your career

Techie:
    • If a user reports that an application is slow, what steps would you take?
    • What are scopes in programming languages and their uses?
    • Explain a chess board in term of OOPS. What methods, functions, etc
    • How would you go about designing a program that determines whether or not a number is prime?
    • How would you go about coding a game of checkers?
    • What's the difference in encapsulation and inheritance?
    • What is database normalization?
    • Make a binary tree where the nodes are the letters in "Cerner".
    • String reversal program was given and I was told to explain the output.
    • Question about unit testing. How to create unit test cases.
    • What is a deadlock?
    • If there was anything you wanted to change about a programming language, what would it be?
    • How will you manage the memory while programming.
    • Complexity of linked list and tree insertion
    • explain a time when you used polymorphism
    • DBMS vs RDBMS
    • Linked List implementation

Interview Questions
    • • Tell me about yourself
      • Why do u want to work at Cerner
        Answer Question
    • • Describe a situation where you have difficulties with your team members

• Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you succeeded
      • Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you failed
      • What are your 3 biggest achievements so far
      • were the Managers unhappy about your work anytime?

• What is the biggest mistake you made in a past job.
      • What was the challenging work in your career
    I dint try but u can if hv experience of atleast 6 months

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner in June 2013.

1) Telephonic by HR(Though it was formal)
    2) 2 Round face to face
    3) All JAVA basic questions and a few Coding ones
    4) Lots and lots of Behavioural questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cerner in April 2013.

There were 2 technical rounds where in I was asked questions from C++ and OOPS.
    I was also asked about my project experience - positive and negative.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked questions from my work experience -
          Made decisions.
          Managed projects.
          Influenced others.
          Made recommendations for improvement.
          Came up with innovative ideas.
          Solved a problem.
          Coached others.
          Handled a conflict.
        Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2012.

First phone interview - HR based. Then three 1:1 interview - behavioral and 1 code.

Software Engineer Interview

2 rounds of face to face technical interview. should be strong in concepts, technically bit sound. they provide you with various instances and test your analytical skills as well

My interview went for 2 hours , felt good

did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner in September 2014.

Campus Recruitment - Intern position - Started with an Online Test which included Aptitude and Technical questions. The technical questions were mostly based on Software Engineering principles. Total of 50 questions in 60 minutes. 130 were shortlisted out of 450, and were sent for HR Interviews. Basic questions like why Cerner, why did you pursue engineering etc. Candidates clearing the HR round were sent for Technical Interviews. Questions ranging from Software Engineering concepts, basics of C/C++, data structures, OO concepts, projects, programming languages known and technologies worked on.

Interview Questions
    • Explain virtual functions and elaborate on how they help during object oriented programming.   Answer Question