Cerner

Getting the Interview

99 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in March 2013.

Interview Details – Day before Cerner Day : Accommodation was Good. Slept soon to make sure i am fresh for the interview day.

Cerner Day : A bus came to pick up all the interview candidates.There were 18-19 of them.They dropped us at Cerner Corporate office.Then we had a Small Tour of Cerner and its facilities.After the tour we were guided to our interview tables.It was Cafeteria were we sat and interviews started.Very Simple Interviews .Most of them ask behavior questions.So be Prepared

Technical Questions Asked : Nothing out of glass door. Be prep with the questions posted in glass door and you have a perfect chance of getting into Cerner.

Be Cool. Don't Worry.Enjoy your Interview. Don't be Serious while you are on interview.Keep a Smile on your face.

Interview Question – Nothing Unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – Got a call from the recruiter. Background check, no functional questions. Then set me up to the on-site interview.

Interview Question – How to debug, can you give me an example?   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter at the beginning of the process. I was asked to submit my resume on the Cerner job site after speaking to the recruiter, and we moved on from there. An interview was scheduled for two weeks out, where I would have an interview with three of Cerner's software developers.

The interviews were a combination of programming questions, from analyzing code to defining various terms, and one or two behavioral questions.

This included questions about...
- Unit Testing
- Database Normalization
- Binary Trees
- Relational Databases
- Time Complexity of Linked Lists

Nothing was particularly difficult about any of the questions, and only one kind of caught me off guard, only because I wasn't familiar with the term.

Afterwords, I received the offer roughly a week later. After asking some questions and going through some analysis, I came to the conclusion that this job wasn't right for me, and I declined it.

Interview Question – What is Code Coverage?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After comparing my current situation and on the offer I received, I did not feel the offer was worth the move.

Very Easy Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to the velocity software engineer position on their website, got an email from the HR after 2 weeks asking me to schedule a time for the initial phone screening. That was basically checking my resume, gpa and interests, then she scheduled a 2nd round phone interview with a senior software engineer the same week. The second round has more of behavioral questions than technical. I answered all the technical questions but din't do so well and behavioral, probably that's the reason i dint clear it.

Interview Question – All the questions he asked are already listed on glassdoor, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – everything was organized and the company itself was a good one to invest future on but the city is not city for me

Interview Question – No difficult question at all, they were all simple ones, kansas city is not a place for me   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me asking general questions based on your resume. They flew me over. Had interview with 5 managers . Question were based on gallop and technical. Had write code on the board.

Interview Question – most of the questions were straight forward. Had a problem with a recursion based algorithn   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Interview Details – I came to know about this company from a friend who recently joined Cerner. I sent the HR an email and she called me immediately and asked some questions based on my resume and work authorization, Then she setup an onsite interview for 2 weeks later.
I drove to Kansas City and they booked Shereton hotel in the downtown which was pretty awsome.
On the interveiw day I drove to the Office , there were around 8 more candidates then an HR person took all of us and asked us to sit in some reserved seats in the cafetaria. Although 4 candidates were interviewed in seperate rooms.
I had 3 one -one interviews, each lasting around an hour.
All three of interveiwers were software architects for different teams working there for around 15 years. They asked me some behavorial questions like "Tell me a situation where you met the deadlines by working hard" etc.
and some technical questions. All the questions were from the previous thread so it was pretty simple.
In particular I was asked the following questions:

** Write a program which prints number from 1-75 but if the number is divisible by 5 it will print "Foo", if its divisible by 7 it prints "Bar" and if its divisible by both 7 and 5 then it print "FooBar".

** Unit test a function which uses the following parameters :
      reversestring(originalString, stringToBeReversed, stringReverseTo,max)
   (Come up with as many test cases as possible)

** Design a chess game using OOP concepts.

** What are pointers, how are they used, what is a wild pointer.

** What is buffer overflow.

** what is First chance exception,

** Design an unbalanced BST using the word "CERNER" , duplicates allowed.

** What is difference between Inheritance and Encapsulation.

**Difference between unit testing and integration testing.

** What is Normalization and Denormalization in database.

** What is RDBMS

** Difference between arrays and linked list . which should be used where.

** Describe how will you find number 9 in a sorted array of number from 1-20, using Binary Search,

** what is the complexity of Binary search,

** Gave me a piece of code and asked how where this code will throw an exception ( basically it was to throw a null point exception at a place, easy to find out)

** Describe how will you design an employee database in a company. (High level design)

Its an easy interview process, the interviewers were pleasant.
Some suggestions:
When they ask behavioral questions, always give an example.
They will ask a question about how you find a bug and corrected it, Please prepare this question well. Apart from that its very easy.

I got a call 2 days later and then final offer after 4 days. I am going to accept it soon.

Interview Question – The only unexpected question was to design a employee database because it wasnt in the previous thread :) but it was easy   View Answers (15)

Negotiation Details – Offer was good

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2011.

Interview Details – They have a very efficient hiring process. Mine consisted of a lengthy personality and work history phone screen and then they flew me in for an onsite interview. It was with three senior people from different departments for 45 minutes each. All were technical people. I was selected for one of the departments and given an offer after a final phone interview with the senior executive in charge of the that department.

Interview Question – These were not difficult questions. They asked me some questions about OOD and how a BST worked, and gave some simple coding questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really try to negotiate, because I had already told them close to what I was making at my then current job. This was probably stupid, b/c I could have negotiated higher; most of my peers had.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applie online and contacted by Cerner's HR via email. I was scheduled to have 30 min phone interview with HR. The interview all about behavioral questions and my resume. After phone interivew, they scheduled me to fly to Kansas City a week after that. On site, I had 3 interviews 1-1. All questions that they asked me is posted here (for my interview half behaviorals and half tech), so just do your homework and you will be fine. After 2 days they call me and give me an offer. I will have a week to make my decision, but I will accept it anyway since I am just a freshman and this job is really nice for me.

Interview Question – Design Checker/Chess game in Objected Oriented View.   View Answers (12)

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cerner in January 2013.

Interview Details – The HR of the company called me after coming across my profile on LinkedIn. She asked me about my background and what I do at work. Immediately after that she arranged an interview and the company paid for the flight expenses etc. The interview had 3 rounds from 3 three different managers. Every round has technical questions and behavorial questions. Most of the questions are similar to the ones given by glassdoor members.

Interview Question – There are few behavorial questions and also explain classes to design a chinese checkers board. There was a question about string reversal with recursive functions. A question about traversing a binary tree.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner