Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
Updated Mar 29, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner in March 2013.

Recruiter called after finding my CV online and setup two phone screens. She wasnt impressed with my non IT background .

Interview Questions
  • During projects at other companies, what problems did you have while coordinating with other members.

Have you taken any other certification courses ?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cerner in March 2013.

1 phone call HR interview 30 min, 1 technical Phone call interview 30 min, Two 30 mins Technical + Decision making interview

Didn't negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

I came to know about cerner from one of my friends who got a software engineering position after his MS graduation. I got cerner's recruiter's contact from him and send my resume. I got a call from a recruiter lady the next day. She just asked few questions on my educational background and experience and a time for me to come for on-site interview.

I went for on-site after a week. I live close to Kansas City so I drove there and they gave me a purchase card for my expenses. They booked a nice hotel in KC downtown which was nice. The next morning I drove to their innovation campus. There were 5 other people in the group. The first thing was a recruiter lady gave us a tour of their campus which was cool. After the tour the interview started. Each of us were taken to a room and seated. I had three 45 mins interviews. The interview takers were a software engineer, a senior software engineer and a software architect.

questions
    --> explain your past project
    --> behavioral question on past project. explain a time when you had a conflict with another team member, conflict on deadlines and similar.
    --> chess game oop concept
    --> binary search algorithm
    --> fizzbuzz for 3 and 5
    --> recursive vs iterative algorithm
    --> exception handling.
    --> what will you do if you get a call from support regarding a production issue

The recruiter lady told me that Cerner does sponsor green cards but not in EB2 category even though I have a Masters degree. It makes no sense to do my green card in EB3 and wait for 5-7 years, whereas in EB2 it takes less than a year. That was a deal breaker for me.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner.

I first had my first phone interview with a HR. And I received an email next day asked to schedule sometime the week after for another phone interview with one of their software engineers. I am now waiting for the next step.

As for the questions asked during the interview: there is this OO design of chess game, and if any inheritance can be used in my design. Another one is to compare the memory management between different programming languages.

Besides, at the beginning of the interview, he asked me to introduce myself and why cerner. Also, he asked me to describe the most difficult person I worked with and how I dealt with it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Applie online and contacted by Cerner's HR via email. I was scheduled to have 30 min phone interview with HR. The interview all about behavioral questions and my resume. After phone interivew, they scheduled me to fly to Kansas City a week after that. On site, I had 3 interviews 1-1. All questions that they asked me is posted here (for my interview half behaviorals and half tech), so just do your homework and you will be fine. After 2 days they call me and give me an offer. I will have a week to make my decision, but I will accept it anyway since I am just a freshman and this job is really nice for me.

no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

I applied to the velocity software engineer position on their website, got an email from the HR after 2 weeks asking me to schedule a time for the initial phone screening. That was basically checking my resume, gpa and interests, then she scheduled a 2nd round phone interview with a senior software engineer the same week. The second round has more of behavioral questions than technical. I answered all the technical questions but din't do so well and behavioral, probably that's the reason i dint clear it.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions he asked are already listed on glassdoor, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Was contacted by HR for first round. Passed that and was called for an onsite interview.
    Most of the questions were from the Post above.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cerner in January 2013.

The HR of the company called me after coming across my profile on LinkedIn. She asked me about my background and what I do at work. Immediately after that she arranged an interview and the company paid for the flight expenses etc. The interview had 3 rounds from 3 three different managers. Every round has technical questions and behavorial questions. Most of the questions are similar to the ones given by glassdoor members.

Interview Questions
    • There are few behavorial questions and also explain classes to design a chinese checkers board. There was a question about string reversal with recursive functions. A question about traversing a binary tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner in January 2013.

Contacted by Cerner recruiter to set up phone interview a week after the mail. Interviewer was very nice and friendly. She asked me very basic hr questions ex: behavioral q's like problem faced in a project, how you handle it. experience q's : describe your previous work and project . role in project. etc etc. At the end of the interview she asked me to give a time to set up second telephonic round (techinal ), its scheduled on 21st.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected as everything is already posted under Cerner interview thread   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in November 2012.

Applied online - then got a call. They then scheduled a phone interview which simply going through the resume and some basic hr question, after that was asked to fly to kansas city after 2 weeks. Booked a room in Sheraton where i could stay overnight. Had a shuttle arranged in the morning to pick 15-16 people. Gave us a tour of the building and took us to our spots where the interviewer would come and take the interview. Had 3 1:1 interviews back to back asked various questions but mostly behavioral and scenario based. Below are some of the questions i could recall (not all of them though). At the end they gave all the people coming from other states a 50$ gift card as misc. expenses. I have been working as a contractor and I was desperately looking to get this job as my last project just got over and I have loans to clear but unfortunately, inspite of putting my best forward at the interview, the hr called me 4 days later telling me that they are not going ahead.
    Hope this set of questions helps others going to interview there

Technical:
    • arrays vs linklist
    • what is RDMBS
    • Code:unit test
    • Code:find the null pointer exception
    • concept of 1 to many relationships in databases with an example
    • binary search to find number 9 in an array from 1 to 19
    • complexity of binary search and its complexity in case of an unsorted array
    • design a game of checkers using OOD
    • Code for finding an output of an recursive program
    • what are memory managed languages, name them
    • what are the responsibilities of a programmer in a memory managed language
    • Name and explain the various design pattens
    • There is a class Car and a class Paint what is the relationship between them and explain
    • What is database normalization and forms of it
    • Various software testing levels and explain
    • Deadlock, explain
    •Write a program that prints foo, bar and foobar for numbers divisible by 5,7 and both 5 and 7 respectively

Behavior based: (All answers should be based on STAR technique)
    •Tell something about yourself (Common in all three)
    •Tell me about a time you had deal with difficult team member or members (Common in all three)
    •Tell me about a time where you were given big multiple task and the deadlines for each of them were not extended, how you dealt with it and did you finish all the task in the given time
    •Tell me about a time a team mate could not understand the task assigned
    •Describe a time when you had a difficult manager and how you dealt with him
    • What have you learn in your career as a java developer so far, and how do you apply
       those techniques
    • Why do you want to leave your current job
    • Whats is it you like and don't like in your present job (Common in all three)
    • Why join Cerner
    • What is the need for you for obtaining/learning new technologies outside of work, do you
      think it is necessary and why
    • Why did you leave your last job (Common in all three)
    • What was the challenging work in your career
    • Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you failed
    • Describe a time when you had to get a work to be done outside your team
    • Tell me about a time when there was an issue, not of your fault and how did you find it
       was not your fault and what step did you take to get it fixed.

Interview Questions
    • what are memory managed languages, name them
      what are the responsibilities of a programmer in a memory managed language

Answer Question