Cerner Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter at the beginning of the process. I was asked to submit my resume on the Cerner job site after speaking to the recruiter, and we moved on from there. An interview was scheduled for two weeks out, where I would have an interview with three of Cerner's software developers.

The interviews were a combination of programming questions, from analyzing code to defining various terms, and one or two behavioral questions.

This included questions about...
- Unit Testing
- Database Normalization
- Binary Trees
- Relational Databases
- Time Complexity of Linked Lists

Nothing was particularly difficult about any of the questions, and only one kind of caught me off guard, only because I wasn't familiar with the term.

Afterwords, I received the offer roughly a week later. After asking some questions and going through some analysis, I came to the conclusion that this job wasn't right for me, and I declined it.

Interview Questions

After comparing my current situation and on the offer I received, I did not feel the offer was worth the move.

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

everything was organized and the company itself was a good one to invest future on but the city is not city for me

Interview Questions

• No difficult question at all, they were all simple ones, kansas city is not a place for me   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

Day before Cerner Day : Accommodation was Good. Slept soon to make sure i am fresh for the interview day.

Cerner Day : A bus came to pick up all the interview candidates.There were 18-19 of them.They dropped us at Cerner Corporate office.Then we had a Small Tour of Cerner and its facilities.After the tour we were guided to our interview tables.It was Cafeteria were we sat and interviews started.Very Simple Interviews .Most of them ask behavior questions.So be Prepared

Technical Questions Asked : Nothing out of glass door. Be prep with the questions posted in glass door and you have a perfect chance of getting into Cerner.

Be Cool. Don't Worry.Enjoy your Interview. Don't be Serious while you are on interview.Keep a Smile on your face.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in February 2013.

Interview

I came to know about this company from a friend who recently joined Cerner. I sent the HR an email and she called me immediately and asked some questions based on my resume and work authorization, Then she setup an onsite interview for 2 weeks later.
    I drove to Kansas City and they booked Shereton hotel in the downtown which was pretty awsome.
    On the interveiw day I drove to the Office , there were around 8 more candidates then an HR person took all of us and asked us to sit in some reserved seats in the cafetaria. Although 4 candidates were interviewed in seperate rooms.
    I had 3 one -one interviews, each lasting around an hour.
    All three of interveiwers were software architects for different teams working there for around 15 years. They asked me some behavorial questions like "Tell me a situation where you met the deadlines by working hard" etc.
    and some technical questions. All the questions were from the previous thread so it was pretty simple.
    In particular I was asked the following questions:

** Write a program which prints number from 1-75 but if the number is divisible by 5 it will print "Foo", if its divisible by 7 it prints "Bar" and if its divisible by both 7 and 5 then it print "FooBar".

** Unit test a function which uses the following parameters :
          reversestring(originalString, stringToBeReversed, stringReverseTo,max)
       (Come up with as many test cases as possible)

** Design a chess game using OOP concepts.

** What are pointers, how are they used, what is a wild pointer.

** What is buffer overflow.

** what is First chance exception,

** Design an unbalanced BST using the word "CERNER" , duplicates allowed.

** What is difference between Inheritance and Encapsulation.

**Difference between unit testing and integration testing.

** What is Normalization and Denormalization in database.

** What is RDBMS

** Difference between arrays and linked list . which should be used where.

** Describe how will you find number 9 in a sorted array of number from 1-20, using Binary Search,

** what is the complexity of Binary search,

** Gave me a piece of code and asked how where this code will throw an exception ( basically it was to throw a null point exception at a place, easy to find out)

** Describe how will you design an employee database in a company. (High level design)

Its an easy interview process, the interviewers were pleasant.
    Some suggestions:
    When they ask behavioral questions, always give an example.
    They will ask a question about how you find a bug and corrected it, Please prepare this question well. Apart from that its very easy.

I got a call 2 days later and then final offer after 4 days. I am going to accept it soon.

Interview Questions

• The only unexpected question was to design a employee database because it wasnt in the previous thread :) but it was easy   17 Answers

Negotiation

Offer was good

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me asking general questions based on your resume. They flew me over. Had interview with 5 managers . Question were based on gallop and technical. Had write code on the board.

Interview Questions

• most of the questions were straight forward. Had a problem with a recursion based algorithn   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

Initially, I had a phone interview with one of the recruiting personnel at Cerner. The interview was in general about my background, current work status, salary expectations etc. Then a face to face interview was scheduled at the office location in Kansas city. I had 3 rounds of interviews with Software Architects. The interviews went well. A lot of behavourial questions were asked, so I would recommend being prepared for that e.g. I am a manager who does not believe in Testing. Sell test driven development to me. The people are very pleasant and non intimidating. The office environment seemed great.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that you really like about Java and something that you really dislike.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner in March 2013.

Interview

Recruiter called after finding my CV online and setup two phone screens. She wasnt impressed with my non IT background .

Interview Questions

• During projects at other companies, what problems did you have while coordinating with other members.

Have you taken any other certification courses ?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

1 phone call HR interview 30 min, 1 technical Phone call interview 30 min, Two 30 mins Technical + Decision making interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in February 2013.

Interview

I came to know about cerner from one of my friends who got a software engineering position after his MS graduation. I got cerner's recruiter's contact from him and send my resume. I got a call from a recruiter lady the next day. She just asked few questions on my educational background and experience and a time for me to come for on-site interview.

I went for on-site after a week. I live close to Kansas City so I drove there and they gave me a purchase card for my expenses. They booked a nice hotel in KC downtown which was nice. The next morning I drove to their innovation campus. There were 5 other people in the group. The first thing was a recruiter lady gave us a tour of their campus which was cool. After the tour the interview started. Each of us were taken to a room and seated. I had three 45 mins interviews. The interview takers were a software engineer, a senior software engineer and a software architect.

questions
    --> explain your past project
    --> behavioral question on past project. explain a time when you had a conflict with another team member, conflict on deadlines and similar.
    --> chess game oop concept
    --> binary search algorithm
    --> fizzbuzz for 3 and 5
    --> recursive vs iterative algorithm
    --> exception handling.
    --> what will you do if you get a call from support regarding a production issue

The recruiter lady told me that Cerner does sponsor green cards but not in EB2 category even though I have a Masters degree. It makes no sense to do my green card in EB3 and wait for 5-7 years, whereas in EB2 it takes less than a year. That was a deal breaker for me.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

I first had my first phone interview with a HR. And I received an email next day asked to schedule sometime the week after for another phone interview with one of their software engineers. I am now waiting for the next step.

As for the questions asked during the interview: there is this OO design of chess game, and if any inheritance can be used in my design. Another one is to compare the memory management between different programming languages.

Besides, at the beginning of the interview, he asked me to introduce myself and why cerner. Also, he asked me to describe the most difficult person I worked with and how I dealt with it.