Cerner

Average Difficulty
113 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cerner in January 2011.

Interview Details – First there was 2 phone interviews - 1 general, 1 somewhat technical.
Then there was an onsite interview. The Interview was held in a nice place and started on time. 3 people in a row interviewed me, about 30 minutes each(with 5-10 min break). They all had mixed questions (technical + behavior). They were a team lead a manager and a senior architect.
The questions were very standard and the interview overall was super simple.
- Describe tree and heap data structures
- What is MVC
- When/why to use recursion
- name/describe java design patterns
- describe generics
- inner join VS outer join

Interview Question – None.
Most of the questions we pretty standard.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called me 2-3 hours after the interview and made an offer. For some reason I decided to accept it right away (which I regret).

Very Easy Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – The recruiter got my resume from some career website, asked me to apply for their Velocity Software Engineer position, I did. She set up the first phone screen, asked me pretty normal questions like achievements, how would you go with type of questions. Then, she set up a technical 30 minutes phone screen with Senior Software Engineer. First 15 minutes he asked all behavioral questions listed on Glassdoor and other half was of technical like oops, checker game design, garbage collection, same as glassdoor questions. Then after half an hour the recruiter called, asked me to fly down to Kansas City after 2 weeks. They paid everything for the expenses.
They took us on the tour of kansas city, dinner, cerner campus tour, history etc. The interview was of one hour, half an hour of behaviroal and other half was technical. behavioral was consisted of the same type of questions like "tell me a situation where" , the technical was also very easy to crack..there wasn't a single question that I could not answer..preapre the questions from glassdoor :)
I got an offer just within 2 days, my recruiter called me up and offered me a job. Typically they take 2 weeks to offer a job but if you are exceptional among all other candidates they will offer you within two days.
Just be confident and do not exaggerate.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in September 2012.

Interview Details – First is a telephonic HR round. Next they arrange an all expense paid trip to Kansas City , MO and three 1-1 rounds of interviews. Process is pretty standard and neat.

Interview Question – Questions were mostly from glass door and some based on your resume. Not really hard - typical such as car - paint relationship , string reversal, find the bugs in the given code, Database concepts of normalization and a lot of scenario based questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in May 2012.

Interview Details – First interview on phone with HR, followed by a technical phone interview. Then onsite technical + HR interview and within 2 weeks received offer.

Interview Question – All questions as listed in previous post by others, nothing new.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation scope.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – I found the job position in one of the career sites and luckily received a call from recruiter for an initial screeing which was just a walkthrough of my resume and some basic behavioural ques.

After that i was invited to kansas site for an onsite interview.I was interviewed by 3different people who are mainly software architects.Questions were mainly behavioural basic tech questions(Trees,searching and sorting tech,normalization).
Overall it was a good experience and liked it.

Interview Question – Car,paint relationship.
database normalization
Make a binary tree where the nodes are the letters in "Cerner".
linked list vs arrays
design chess through oops

main ques are here in glassdoor.Read every ques and it makes interview easy
  View Answers (2)

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in September 2008.

Interview Details – Hiring process has changed quite a bit since the time I got in. If you are coming in as a software engineer you must be ready for multiple interview sessions with lots of problem solving questions on a white board.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in November 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty standard. Started with a phone interview, then I was flown out for a face-to-face. Was told some small white lies in the interview process (exaggeration of on-site facilities and such), but nothing that was a deal-breaker.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in November 2011.

Interview Details – They asked me some basic questions that is BST,Relational Database,They were easy but later they gave me a peice of code and asked to find out the bug thats little bit tricky

Interview Question – Difference between Arraylist and linkedlist   View Answer

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in May 2012.

Interview Details – lots of behaviorial question.

sometimes questions wont be so clear had to ask several times to understand the question.

the interniews will be reading question to themsleves so be ready for that

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no

Kansas City, MO

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in June 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process began with a member from the HR department contacting me through linkedin saying that she was impressed with my profile and would like to me to apply for their Software Engineer position on their website. After the application, she contacted me for an onsite interview.

I was given accommodation for a night in KC and driving mileage in the form of a $100 pre-paid card.
The interview process consisted of 3 back to back 40 minutes, one on one interviews. The questions were being read by the interviewers from a sheet someone had prepared and they use the same sheet to interview everyone. Some of the questions I can remember are:

Initial questions:

Why you want to leave you current job?
 Best thing about your job?
 Least thing you liked abt your job?

Technical questions:

• If a user reports a bug in the application, what steps would you take?
• How would you go about designing a program for binary search?
• How would you go about coding a game of Chess or Checkers?
• What's the difference in encapsulation and inheritance?
• What is database normalization?
• Make a binary tree where the nodes are the letters in "Cerner".
• String reversal program was given and I was told to explain the output.
• Question about unit testing. How to create unit test cases.
• How will you manage the memory while programming.
• Complexity of linked list and tree insertion
• Explain the differences between searching through a linked list vs. a binary tree
• DBMS vs RDBMS
• Linked List implementation

Behavorial questions:

• Describe a situation where you have difficulties with your team members.
• Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you succeeded.
• Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you failed.
• Were the Managers unhappy about your work anytime?
• What was the challenging work in your career?

Overall, I got the impression that they were looking for people fresh out of college.

Interview Question – Difference between arrays and linked list? (Implementation, Complexity etc.)   View Answer