Cerner

Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.6

128 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in September 2012.

Interview is very basic. First you will receive a call from HR asking general information and some behavioral questions which one should be easily going through. After that, they will schedule an on-site interview at Kansas City. In that interview there will be three rounds of each 45 minutes. All the interviews are basic and cover the core concepts. I was interviewed for a Java position where they emphasized on DataStructures and Collections. Questions such as difference between an Arraylist and LinkedList, Heap and Tree Structures, Binary Search Algorithm, Different Sorting Algorithms. They also ask you to explain OOPS concepts and will ask you to develop a model using OOPS concepts possibly a game like chess/checkers. Apart from these, possible questions are recursive algorithm, finding bugs in a given program, writing a program to print some numbers - pretty easy stuff. Also, be prepared to answer the version numbers of all the tools or IDEs you have used. You can expect some behavioral questions viz. give me a situation where you had to deal with a situation and what did you learn from that, etc.

Basically, interview is all basic. Keep your answers short, simple and straight to the point. Be prepared to ask some good questions. Do you homework and go through the Companies web pages and locations they have around the world.

Interview Questions

Offering less than what I was expecting

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in September 2012.

First is a telephonic HR round. Next they arrange an all expense paid trip to Kansas City , MO and three 1-1 rounds of interviews. Process is pretty standard and neat.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mostly from glass door and some based on your resume. Not really hard - typical such as car - paint relationship , string reversal, find the bugs in the given code, Database concepts of normalization and a lot of scenario based questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

I found the job position in one of the career sites and luckily received a call from recruiter for an initial screeing which was just a walkthrough of my resume and some basic behavioural ques.

After that i was invited to kansas site for an onsite interview.I was interviewed by 3different people who are mainly software architects.Questions were mainly behavioural basic tech questions(Trees,searching and sorting tech,normalization).
    Overall it was a good experience and liked it.

Interview Questions
    • Car,paint relationship.
      database normalization
      Make a binary tree where the nodes are the letters in "Cerner".
      linked list vs arrays
      design chess through oops

main ques are here in glassdoor.Read every ques and it makes interview easy

View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in July 2012.

The first step to the interview process was receiving a phone call from a Cerner hiring staff person. She was pleasant to talk to and made me feel confortable, which helped me ease into the process. We spoke briefly about the possibility of my employment with Cerner and scheduled a phone interview to happen about a week later. Then, I had a phone interview with a Software Architect who had been working at Cerner for ten years. He asked me about my previous programming projects and quizzed me on various topics, mostly involving Object-Oriented Design. One of the questions that stood out to me was this one - using OOD (in Java, presumably), how would I implement a game of checkers? It was a very broad question - just like most of his other questions. After the questions, I had the oppurtunity to ask him what his experience at Cerner was like. He said that beginning there is very difficult, as you have a ton of information thrown at you and little time to absorb it. I have found this to be mostly true so far, but not to the extent I expected.
    About a week or so later, I was informed via the same hiring personnel that I was selected to participate in an on-site interview, for which all related travel costs would be paid by Cerner. I lived in Georgia, so the flight from Atlanta to Kansas City was covered, as well as a night at the Hilton President and a dinner at Gordon-Biersch (in the form of a $25 gift card). I scheduled the interview for a mere 5 days from the date they called me (since they gave me no other choice besides the next day). I flew in that night, arriving around 7 PM, enjoyed my dinner, then woke up early for toasty hotel-provided breakfast and the 8:30 AM shuttle to Cerner's Innovation Campus.
    Rather than going immediately to the interviews, we were treated to about a 30-minute driving tour around Kansas City aboard a bus. We saw several landmarks in the city, including art museums and popular places to hang out downtown. It was enjoyable, but I'd say it only increased the suspense for the review due to its length.
    The campus was certainly nice at first glance. And the farther into the building we went, the nicer it seemed. We were given a quick tour of one of the floors, which had "collaborative" style cubicles with low walls, and taken to a classroom of sorts, where we were briefed on the interview process, given iPads to use throughout the day, and given a folder full of Cerner-related documents and housing information for Kansas City. The iPads, sadly, were useful only for a Cerner app that was more or less a brochure. Besides that, I got very little time to use my iPad. It was spiffy, but not needed at all.
    The interviews themselves consisted of two parts. One part was a technical assessment of sorts, asking mostly theoretical questions relating to computer science. The second was a more professional-oriented interview with questions relating to your career, future, and professional conduct. The interviews were conducted in small rooms that contained whiteboards and tables. Sitting directly across the table from your interviewer may be intimidating, but if you're a good student of Computer Science, there's no need to worry. The technical part mainly consists of questions relating to Java and databases. If you are good at OOD, data structures, and databases, this will be a breeze. In the career part, I feel this is more personal. Just relax and say things only you would want to hear from an applicant if you were the interviewer. Overall, I would say the interviews were not difficult, but you should study up just in case.
    The interviews were exciting and fun. There was one hiccup that I should point out though, but maybe I just lack common sense. While at the hotel, the receptionist asked to swipe my debit card. Of course, Cerner was paying for the whole thing, so I thought it would be no problem if she needed it for some administrative reason. However, I was charged for my stay, and I had to call and have the charges removed. Again, this is not directly related to Cerner.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult technical question to me was a question about binary trees. This is personal to me however, since I at the time, had the types of trees mixed up. I was asked to put items in a binary tree, and I assumed it was to be balanced. However, the interviewer was totally confused by my first answer. The question was unclear, and I still don't know what he wanted, but I ended up getting the job. If you run into this question, do your best to explain what you are doing if you get it wrong. If the interviewer understands where you are coming from, you have a shot at getting his props even if the answer is wrong.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cerner in July 2012.

Had a phone interview and then was brought to Kansas for the in-person interview. Simple questions all in glassdoor.

Not interested. Very low salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in June 2012.

The interview process began with a member from the HR department contacting me through linkedin saying that she was impressed with my profile and would like to me to apply for their Software Engineer position on their website. After the application, she contacted me for an onsite interview.

I was given accommodation for a night in KC and driving mileage in the form of a $100 pre-paid card.
    The interview process consisted of 3 back to back 40 minutes, one on one interviews. The questions were being read by the interviewers from a sheet someone had prepared and they use the same sheet to interview everyone. Some of the questions I can remember are:

Initial questions:

Why you want to leave you current job?
     Best thing about your job?
     Least thing you liked abt your job?

Technical questions:

• If a user reports a bug in the application, what steps would you take?
    • How would you go about designing a program for binary search?
    • How would you go about coding a game of Chess or Checkers?
    • What's the difference in encapsulation and inheritance?
    • What is database normalization?
    • Make a binary tree where the nodes are the letters in "Cerner".
    • String reversal program was given and I was told to explain the output.
    • Question about unit testing. How to create unit test cases.
    • How will you manage the memory while programming.
    • Complexity of linked list and tree insertion
    • Explain the differences between searching through a linked list vs. a binary tree
    • DBMS vs RDBMS
    • Linked List implementation

Behavorial questions:

• Describe a situation where you have difficulties with your team members.
    • Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you succeeded.
    • Describe a scenario where you tried to troubleshoot and you failed.
    • Were the Managers unhappy about your work anytime?
    • What was the challenging work in your career?

Overall, I got the impression that they were looking for people fresh out of college.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between arrays and linked list? (Implementation, Complexity etc.)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cerner in May 2012.

I had been contacted by one of their recruiters. She called me and took the first round of interview mainly consist of my background, the type of projects I have worked on, which type of responsibility I have been assigned etc.
    On the same call, she asked me to come over to Kansas City for face to face interview. They arranged everything for my accommodation and transportation.
    Next day morning it was interview with 3 different interviewer. it was mainly technical interview and behavioral.

Some of the technical questions were like:
    1. OOP approach for Chess Game
    2. Binary search of one element in binary list.
    3. Algorithm complexity of search in binary tree
    4. Algorithm complexity of search in array
    5. Code sample to debug for unit test
    6. Code sample to debug with specific inputs ( tree-traversal code)
    7. Pros and Cons of using Arrays Vs. Linked List
    8. Complexity of search algorithm in linked list

Some of the Behavioral questions were like :
    1. What is the best part you like in current job
    2. what is the worst part in your current job
    3. Situation where you dealt with a difficult team member
    4. Project work you have done where you had no idea what to do

Interview Questions
    • Complexity of various search algorithms like in
      - linked list
      - binary tree
      - array

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in May 2012.

First interview on phone with HR, followed by a technical phone interview. Then onsite technical + HR interview and within 2 weeks received offer.

Interview Questions
    • All questions as listed in previous post by others, nothing new.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation scope.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in May 2012.

They found my resume on Monster, and contacted me. I had 2 phone interviews. They went very well and the people were extremely nice. They flew me down to KCMO for 2 more interviews. Most of the people there were very nice except the last person that interviewed me. I answered all the technical questions right on spot, but he seemed to be twisting my behavioral questions into negative ones. Even though I answered all the questions spot on I was not offered the job. I know for a fact I was more than qualified than half of the people also interviewing. The company is huge and I was afraid your just a number to them. but all and all everything was good and I had a good time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in May 2012.

The HR found my resume online and asked me to apply on their careers website. The phone screen was HR type questions and lasted for about 35-40 mins. Then they flew me in for 1:1 interviews. They conducted 3 1:1 interviews of 40-45 mins each. Most of the questions asked are listed below. The interview was quite easy.

Interview Questions
    • Technical:

There were some technical questions related to design, determining output of a program, trees, java, projects on resume.

Answer Question
    • Behavioral:

Mostly "Tell me a time when....." type of questions.

Answer Question
    If you are experienced you can negotiate. But if you are a fresher, then they have standard salaries.