Cerner Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.7

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in August 2014.

It was fairly straight forward, a recruiter contacted me and asked me general HR question about my experience. (Resume Stuff) A week later, I had a technical interview. After that, I was asked to fly up to KC for an in-person interview. That consisted of a few technical interviews by a few different people.

Interview Questions
  • I will not give any specific questions, but I feel it would be helpful to others to give an overview of things to study. There is another post on here that does a VERY good job of covering everything, so I won't reinvent the wheel.

Freshen up on your networking skills (OSI Model, roles of different hardware on a network). You need to have a working knowledge of UNIX based commands in a terminal/command line interface. (ls,cd,find,top,chmod,chown).
      Answer Question
They seem to be pretty firm with their offer, as they try to make the best one possible so that no one's time is wasted. They are very generous.

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

I don't think it's fair to give you the questions directly, but I'm happy to give you all of the steps you'll need to take to be in complete control of the interview and, more importantly, and give yourself a solid baseline knowledge of Linux, Networking, and general computing concepts.

Topics to thoroughly research:

1. Cloud Computing - what is it? What are various cloud computing models?
    2. What's the difference between NAS and SAN?
    3. Troubleshooting a PC that cannot connect to the internet - what Linux commands might you use to find the problem?
    4. DNS - high level description followed by a deeper explanation of servers and process involved
      a. Resolving name, root, top level domain, and authoritative name servers
      b. MX and A Records
    5. Ways possible to move a file from one place to another (literally any way you can think of)
    6. Favorite and personally most useful Linux commands - ability to deeply explain 'why'
    7. How to move files among various operating systems (namely from Windows to Linux)
    8. Various remote desktop options for Linux (xrdp, putty, etc) - be familiar with two to three such methods
    9. STAR interview techniques

Things I did that helped:

Preamble: calculated how many days from the time I found out about the on-site interview to the interview date and created a day by day, hour by hour study schedule that dealt with the following concepts:

Linux
      Command Line, shell scripting, managing users and groups / permissions, viewing network activity
    MySQL
      Create, alter, move tables, data, and databases at the command line level
    Networking
      Subnetting, typical network topologies, network devices (switches, routers, hubs), OSI Model

Specific things I did that gave me a high level of confidence fielding the interview questions:

1. Purchased a 'bare bones' PC and installed Linux (keep in mind Cerner is a Red Hat shop)
    2. Installed LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
    3. Setup and configured xrdp and putty
    4. Setup and configured a website hosted on my Linux machine
    5. Played around with MySQL at the terminal level (no intermediary software)
      a. Created databases / tables, dropped them
      b. Changed and altered charsets
      c. Changed characteristics of existing tables and fields
    6. Practiced subnetting - CCNA style IP address / subnetting questions
    7. Made a list of STAR style questions and wrote my answers to them

Interview Questions
    • Do you just remote desktop into your linux box? Why?   View Answer
    You should be aware that your interview performance is directly related to your ability to negotiate a desirable starting salary - I was able to successfully negotiate what I wanted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in February 2014.

One recruiter interview, one technical interview, and a Google+ interview. Fairly straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Explain SAN, NAS, UNIX commands to check the status of your computer.   Answer Question

Found a job close to home.

System Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cerner in January 2014.

Applied to Cerner on their website on January 22, 2014 and got an email the same day about a 30 minute phone interview. The recruiter went over my job history and talked about the Velocity System Engineer program. After that she told me she would love to move forward and set up a second phone interview with a technical recruiter. A day later i got the email with the scheduled interview for the same week (Thursday) the 23rd.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult. some of the questions i was asked was... what is cloud computing? name different ways to transfer a file from one computer to another, how does computers communicate with each other? what are some basic UNIX command, what are some components of a computer, why should a company use cloud computing? what do you like about cloud computing? what is your favorite troubleshooting skills?   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

The interview was more behavioral questions than anything..I was asked 2 technical questions throughout the 4 hr interview process

Interview Questions
    • What linux commands would you use to send a file to a log and then view that log   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cerner.

They are very good, very professional. But you must have the right Background or else they will waste your time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in July 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Monster. We had a 10-15 minute phone conversation about my behavior and past employment. Then I was called the following Monday by a technical recruiter and had a 15-30 minute conversation about my techincal abilities working with Active Directory, Group Policy, Server Systems, and various software environments.

The recruiter Cody Grays was very professional with me and set me up to have a in-person interview at the World Headquarters building. They put me up in the Sheraton Hotel in downtown KC, which was a 5 star hotel and very nice. I came into the building and sat in the main lobby to wait for a recruiter to come get me and take me to my interview. Cerner has a interview day in which they bring in 10-15 candidates for open posistions. They put us all in individual conference rooms as the interviewers come in and interview us. After 3 hours of pleasant interviewing, I was contacted 2 weeks from the interview date with a posistion.

The system engineer job is a very broad category. Cerner has many departments that handle all aspects of healthcare. Be sure to ask as many questions as possible. (They encourage learning and as many questions as you can think to ask.) I think it is a test with Cerner to see how interested you are. They don't give you all the information up front and want to see if you are inquisitive enough to find all the infromation. It's a wonderful side test for interviewing so just be aware.

Interview Questions
    • My most difficult question had to deal with JavaScript and SQL databases. Being a fresh graduate and only having 2 years experience in the field I haven't had much contact with SQL. So just brush up on some basic terms and concepts of SQL and Java. Most of what Cerner builds in interfacing is run on Java. So it's a big deal to know how Java works and what it's functions are.   Answer Question
    Offered me a great starting salary for an entry-level posistion. Also I am 2 months from my BAS degree and my pay scale will jump to the BAS scale instead of my AAS scale.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner in July 2013.

Interview process was different than I expected, even after the recruiter explained how it would work. The interview process was three different interviews at different times (about 30min each) with three different team leads or managers. These interviewers each had an opening on their team and interviewed the entire group. At the end of the interviews we left, flew home, and waited for a phone call or letter.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked were behavioral interview questions. It would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with these types of questions and understand what the interviewer is looking for in your answers.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is possible, however be cognizant of the salary range for your position and the "level" that you are hiring in at.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Completed first round of on campus interviews. The recruiters were very friendly. It was a little difficult to understand the actual job I was interviewing for. With Cerner, if you are hired out of college, you're typically hired into the "Velocity" program. This is essentially a training program within the company for specific types of roles (software engineer, consultants, sales, etc.). As part of the program you initially go through a lot of training, pertaining to the Cerner software products and any other specific skills requried for your role. You then typically go through a couple rotations where you work in several different groups within the company. At then end of your rotations you are placed with a particular group/team based on the particular needs of the team and how your skills align.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked a lot of "describe a time when you ......." questions where you have to really think on your feet.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate. Package was very competitive. I'm not aware of Cerner ever negotiating compensation for college hires.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in June 2013.

I applied online and was contacted fairly quick by a recruiter who did a 15-30 minute phone screening. It was mostly non-technical in nature and before it was over, i was being scheduled for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview happens on an "interview day" with multiple other candidates, and you meet either 1:1 (one of my interviews was 1:2) with a few different teams that are hiring. They have packets of questions that they are filling out as they go, and ask mostly behavior type questions that they want you to answer in the form of 1. describe the issue, 2. describe your solution, and 3. describe it's effect.

Some of the interviewers are rigid with the packets, and some pretty must just wing it and ask mostly their own questions and try to get to know you. It's really just luck of the draw.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were really difficult, but brush up on your answers to various "Describe a time when..." questions   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because I was offered what I asked for