Cerner

Getting the Interview

38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in July 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was different than I expected, even after the recruiter explained how it would work. The interview process was three different interviews at different times (about 30min each) with three different team leads or managers. These interviewers each had an opening on their team and interviewed the entire group. At the end of the interviews we left, flew home, and waited for a phone call or letter.

Interview Question – The questions asked were behavioral interview questions. It would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with these types of questions and understand what the interviewer is looking for in your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is possible, however be cognizant of the salary range for your position and the "level" that you are hiring in at.

System Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cerner in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied to Cerner on their website on January 22, 2014 and got an email the same day about a 30 minute phone interview. The recruiter went over my job history and talked about the Velocity System Engineer program. After that she told me she would love to move forward and set up a second phone interview with a technical recruiter. A day later i got the email with the scheduled interview for the same week (Thursday) the 23rd.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult. some of the questions i was asked was... what is cloud computing? name different ways to transfer a file from one computer to another, how does computers communicate with each other? what are some basic UNIX command, what are some components of a computer, why should a company use cloud computing? what do you like about cloud computing? what is your favorite troubleshooting skills?   View Answer

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – The interview was more behavioral questions than anything..I was asked 2 technical questions throughout the 4 hr interview process

Interview Question – What linux commands would you use to send a file to a log and then view that log   Answer Question

Systems Engineer

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – They are very good, very professional. But you must have the right Background or else they will waste your time

Interview Question – Nothing is too difficult   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was called after my resume was found on monster.com. They described the company and asked my interests. After a small conversation, I scheduled a phone interview. After the phone interview I was asked to come to the main campus for 2 additional in person interviews. I spent 2 days in kc. The first day I went to a dinner with current employees who described their roles and life at Cerner. I was nervous, but the employees did well to keep our minds off the upcoming interview process. The dinner was nice a nice way to see some of the city. All expenses were paid. Flight to kc, travel between the hotel and campus, and and a hotel for the night. The next day we took a group tour of the place and got a chance to interview a panel of employees about the city and life in kc. By the time I interviewed, my nerves were pretty calm. It was mostly HR type questions. I had 1 or two technical questions that I struggled with. I expressed my desire to learn and I think that's what got me the job.

Interview Question – Explain a relation database   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Monster. We had a 10-15 minute phone conversation about my behavior and past employment. Then I was called the following Monday by a technical recruiter and had a 15-30 minute conversation about my techincal abilities working with Active Directory, Group Policy, Server Systems, and various software environments.

The recruiter Cody Grays was very professional with me and set me up to have a in-person interview at the World Headquarters building. They put me up in the Sheraton Hotel in downtown KC, which was a 5 star hotel and very nice. I came into the building and sat in the main lobby to wait for a recruiter to come get me and take me to my interview. Cerner has a interview day in which they bring in 10-15 candidates for open posistions. They put us all in individual conference rooms as the interviewers come in and interview us. After 3 hours of pleasant interviewing, I was contacted 2 weeks from the interview date with a posistion.

The system engineer job is a very broad category. Cerner has many departments that handle all aspects of healthcare. Be sure to ask as many questions as possible. (They encourage learning and as many questions as you can think to ask.) I think it is a test with Cerner to see how interested you are. They don't give you all the information up front and want to see if you are inquisitive enough to find all the infromation. It's a wonderful side test for interviewing so just be aware.

Interview Question – My most difficult question had to deal with JavaScript and SQL databases. Being a fresh graduate and only having 2 years experience in the field I haven't had much contact with SQL. So just brush up on some basic terms and concepts of SQL and Java. Most of what Cerner builds in interfacing is run on Java. So it's a big deal to know how Java works and what it's functions are.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered me a great starting salary for an entry-level posistion. Also I am 2 months from my BAS degree and my pay scale will jump to the BAS scale instead of my AAS scale.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted fairly quick by a recruiter who did a 15-30 minute phone screening. It was mostly non-technical in nature and before it was over, i was being scheduled for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview happens on an "interview day" with multiple other candidates, and you meet either 1:1 (one of my interviews was 1:2) with a few different teams that are hiring. They have packets of questions that they are filling out as they go, and ask mostly behavior type questions that they want you to answer in the form of 1. describe the issue, 2. describe your solution, and 3. describe it's effect.

Some of the interviewers are rigid with the packets, and some pretty must just wing it and ask mostly their own questions and try to get to know you. It's really just luck of the draw.

Interview Question – No questions were really difficult, but brush up on your answers to various "Describe a time when..." questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because I was offered what I asked for

Systems Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Completed first round of on campus interviews. The recruiters were very friendly. It was a little difficult to understand the actual job I was interviewing for. With Cerner, if you are hired out of college, you're typically hired into the "Velocity" program. This is essentially a training program within the company for specific types of roles (software engineer, consultants, sales, etc.). As part of the program you initially go through a lot of training, pertaining to the Cerner software products and any other specific skills requried for your role. You then typically go through a couple rotations where you work in several different groups within the company. At then end of your rotations you are placed with a particular group/team based on the particular needs of the team and how your skills align.

Interview Question – You are asked a lot of "describe a time when you ......." questions where you have to really think on your feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Package was very competitive. I'm not aware of Cerner ever negotiating compensation for college hires.

Systems Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Phone interview: Asked behavior questions and tech questions. I couldn't understand the first question, and the HR person doesn't either and he couldn't restate the question for me either.

Interview Question – Tech questions on the phone.   Answer Question

Systems ENGINEER Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview that was set up 2 weeks prior. I was told that I will be contacted for a second phone interview with an IT manager. Questions were easy and fair. The HR recruiter was flexible and nice. He explained the training program clearly and what to expect in this position.

Interview Question – I was asked about my previous projects and how I overcome the issues if I had one. Most of the questions were fair actually.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner Systems Engineer interview questions and advice. All 38 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees and interview candidates.