Cerner Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in June 2015.

Interview

I did not apply for this position they found me via Linkedin, HR called me and offer to fight me out there right away, got there Sunday, interview Monday morning, 3 Interview, One with DevOPs Team, Database Dept, and the implementation department dealing with HAdoop, left Kansas City , they contacted me 2 weeks later of an offer that I refuse, they contacted me 2 days later with another offer and I did accept.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate more and they added a sign in bonus.

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website. Submitted a resume and cover letter. Had a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was asked about my resume, school, previous jobs. There were also a couple of general behavioral questions. I was told I would hear back from them about an in-person interview in Kansas City but I did not. Followed up twice via email and phone and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• How much faster is DNS considering that it uses UDP instead of TCP? - mergesort in details (best, average and worst case) - comparison between TCP and UDP (e.g. congestion and flow control) - graph to find the shortest path   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted through email by an HR recruiter from a virtual carer fair. From there, I had 4 interviews: 1 phone interview and 3 virtual interviews. I had asked if we could move up the final round interviews instead of waiting and going to the headquarters. The interview questions are technical based STAR questions which they read from a packet, so it's pretty standard questions.

Interview Questions

• Review SQL statements and how to find data in a table   Answer Question
    • Describe cloud computing and the weaknesses and strengths   Answer Question
    • Know different operating systems and advantages and disadvantages of each   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were assigned a task or project you didn't know how to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS).

Interview

I was contacted by a Senior level HR recruiter. This individual was very friendly and professional. I was shortly moved onto a phone interview and then in person interview. My hotel was paid for by the company and my travel expenses reimbursed. The phone interview was mostly about basic review and verification of your resume. This also involved rating your own skills on a scale. The in person interview consisted of three individuals. Each will ask you the general stars questions and technical questions. They also explained what their teams/positions did and what the company does.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner in March 2015.

Interview

My first contact at was a career fair with a recruiter. She seemed impressed, and she told me that she was going to contact me a schedule an interview. I then had an interview over a webcam. That went well, so they had me out for a site interview (which consisted of two back to back interviews). All three interviews were essentially the same -- half behavioural and half technical. Technical questions were a breeze -- look them up here, but if you can't answer most or all of them off the cuff (or at the least have *something* intelligent to say), I don't think you are really fit for this line of work. Everyone was nice, and they put you at ease during the interview process. A negative to me was the travel reimbursement. Some of the other candidates were talking about how much reimbursement they received. Two individuals that travelled from the same place (and carpooled) received significantly different reimbursement amounts. A Kansas City resident received $50 to drive across town. And they only covered about half of my travel expenses. Not to mention that they put them on these "purchasing cards" which I don't think I can transfer to my credit card. Nothing about the travel reimbursement made much sense to me. Ultimately I did not get a job offer. I felt the interviews went well and I have two years of experience in industry. I may have asked for too much money for an entry level position. Perhaps the lesson here is to look at Glassdoor salaries *before* filling out the salary requirements section. Overall this was a positive experience and I wish Cerner and the group of new hires nothing but the best.

Interview Questions

• Normal behavioural stuff. Technical questions are simple.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

The company contacted me via linked-in. Started with a phone interview to see if I was interested in a position. After the 30 min phone interview I was asked when would be a good time to come and have a face to face interview. They paid for the hotel and reimbursed with gift cards for gas and mileage. it was a half day of 3 different interviews for 3 different people for 3 different positions within the company. Overall they seemed like standard interview questions with only a few technical questions overall.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview STAR questions and some technical questions.   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in August 2014.

Interview

It was fairly straight forward, a recruiter contacted me and asked me general HR question about my experience. (Resume Stuff) A week later, I had a technical interview. After that, I was asked to fly up to KC for an in-person interview. That consisted of a few technical interviews by a few different people.

Interview Questions

• I will not give any specific questions, but I feel it would be helpful to others to give an overview of things to study. There is another post on here that does a VERY good job of covering everything, so I won't reinvent the wheel. Freshen up on your networking skills (OSI Model, roles of different hardware on a network). You need to have a working knowledge of UNIX based commands in a terminal/command line interface. (ls,cd,find,top,chmod,chown).   Answer Question

Negotiation

They seem to be pretty firm with their offer, as they try to make the best one possible so that no one's time is wasted. They are very generous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, KS) in July 2014.

Interview

They flew me out to kansas city for 3 interviews to be conducted in one day. Each were to be an hour long and be done by around 11:00. 1st interview: The interviewer was late. She asked me several questions quickly. They assisted people in hospitals with the Cerner software similar to a help desk. They would likely be working longer hours and have to deal with anger clients. This did not feel like a position I would like. She received a call and left the interview early. 2nd interview: This was the most sincere man I have met. He has been at Cerner for a very long time and was used to the life. He let me know that I would be also assisting hospitals in similar timezone to Kansas city so I would not have to work long hours unless the situation required it. It sounded like a promising position. 3rd interview: This guy was much younger than my previous interviewer and worked in Emerging Technologies. He said I would be working on a team of people who manage linux servers and support the software that that team uses. He asked me questions like: How much linux experience do you have? Have you ever created bash scripts? What is your favorite one-line command? Do have have any experience with monitoring solutions?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was extended an offer and had one week to decide if I wanted the offer. They also offered to pay up to $3000 to assist with moving costs. (The price is based on location) I hear some get more or less depending on how close to Kansas city you are.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in May 2014.

Interview

All process took around a month. At first HR phone call interview, just introducing yourself. Then onsite face to face interview with 4 people, took almost 4 hours. Asked some technical and troubleshooting questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in April 2014.

Interview

I don't think it's fair to give you the questions directly, but I'm happy to give you all of the steps you'll need to take to be in complete control of the interview and, more importantly, and give yourself a solid baseline knowledge of Linux, Networking, and general computing concepts. Topics to thoroughly research: 1. Cloud Computing - what is it? What are various cloud computing models? 2. What's the difference between NAS and SAN? 3. Troubleshooting a PC that cannot connect to the internet - what Linux commands might you use to find the problem? 4. DNS - high level description followed by a deeper explanation of servers and process involved a. Resolving name, root, top level domain, and authoritative name servers b. MX and A Records 5. Ways possible to move a file from one place to another (literally any way you can think of) 6. Favorite and personally most useful Linux commands - ability to deeply explain 'why' 7. How to move files among various operating systems (namely from Windows to Linux) 8. Various remote desktop options for Linux (xrdp, putty, etc) - be familiar with two to three such methods 9. STAR interview techniques Things I did that helped: Preamble: calculated how many days from the time I found out about the on-site interview to the interview date and created a day by day, hour by hour study schedule that dealt with the following concepts: Linux Command Line, shell scripting, managing users and groups / permissions, viewing network activity MySQL Create, alter, move tables, data, and databases at the command line level Networking Subnetting, typical network topologies, network devices (switches, routers, hubs), OSI Model Specific things I did that gave me a high level of confidence fielding the interview questions: 1. Purchased a 'bare bones' PC and installed Linux (keep in mind Cerner is a Red Hat shop) 2. Installed LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) 3. Setup and configured xrdp and putty 4. Setup and configured a website hosted on my Linux machine 5. Played around with MySQL at the terminal level (no intermediary software) a. Created databases / tables, dropped them b. Changed and altered charsets c. Changed characteristics of existing tables and fields 6. Practiced subnetting - CCNA style IP address / subnetting questions 7. Made a list of STAR style questions and wrote my answers to them

Interview Questions

• Do you just remote desktop into your linux box? Why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You should be aware that your interview performance is directly related to your ability to negotiate a desirable starting salary - I was able to successfully negotiate what I wanted.