Cerner Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website. Submitted a resume and cover letter. Had a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes. I was asked about my resume, school, previous jobs. There were also a couple of general behavioral questions. I was told I would hear back from them about an in-person interview in Kansas City but I did not. Followed up twice via email and phone and never heard back.

Interview Questions

• How much faster is DNS considering that it uses UDP instead of TCP? - mergesort in details (best, average and worst case) - comparison between TCP and UDP (e.g. congestion and flow control) - graph to find the shortest path   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Bangalore (India)) in February 2015.

Interview

Versant English round, 2 Technical 2 technical rounds seperately with 2 different recruiters, after clearing the English Versant round,Many questions to understand the candidate character and technical skills Concentrated mainly on Candidate's stability... lot of questions on switching of jobs... which I felt too much indepth digging..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in July 2013.

Interview

Interview process was different than I expected, even after the recruiter explained how it would work. The interview process was three different interviews at different times (about 30min each) with three different team leads or managers. These interviewers each had an opening on their team and interviewed the entire group. At the end of the interviews we left, flew home, and waited for a phone call or letter.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked were behavioral interview questions. It would be beneficial to familiarize yourself with these types of questions and understand what the interviewer is looking for in your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation is possible, however be cognizant of the salary range for your position and the "level" that you are hiring in at.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in January 2011.

Interview

Cerner called me out of the blue a few weeks after graduation to tell me that I matched a significant amount of of what they were looking for. There was a brief phone interview in which I was presented with the opportunity to speek freely about my past, and then ask questions about the company. They then flew me out to KCMO that week after expressing interest to continue the interview process. They picked me up in a private town car and took me to Cerner's WHQ where I met with 3 other people for face to face interviews. It was over the course of a few hours so nothing was terribly rushed. I was made to feel very comfortable and very welcome during the entire process. The questions were tough. They had a significant amount of situational questions along the lines of "what would you do" or "tell me about a time". So be ready for that. Also bare in mind that they are looking for the highest quality people to fill their roles. Their day to day activities quite seriously are a matter of life or death to patients in hospitals. If a coder makes a mistake on their software that allows for a bad medication to be distributed, then people can die. Cerner took every step to ensure that they put their best foot forward. To those prospective job candidates who are seeking positions with Cerner, this means that you must do the same. After the interview they told me they would be in touch with in a few days. I cannot express how fantastic an experience the whole thing was. Every step of the way Cerner took the time to make sure that every fine detail was accounted for. If offered an opportunity to interview with them I highly recommend that you take it.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you innovated in your current job role.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you failed, and what did you learn from that failure?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in November 2010.

Interview

Step 1: Establish a contact. Step 2: Pressure contact into getting back with you. (It was my impression that the recruiters were under pressure to get a high volume of specific candidates into the campus and therefore were too busy to deal with non-targeted candidates, despite the fact that they needed to hire them) Step 3: Phone interview. Consists of questions about specific times or situations in your professional/academic life where you had to overcome adversity or solve a difficult challenge. Step 4: Tour Campus Step 5: Interview in person while you are touring campus for a day. Step 6: Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had to learn a new technology or system by yourself, what was your approach and what were your results?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cerner (Bangalore (India)) in August 2010.

Interview

Hiring process in Cerner will have 3 rounds. First process telephonic, second round will be 1-1 with manager of the concern team you are recruiting for, Third round will be an HR round.

Interview Questions

• how to reboot a Citrix server?   1 Answer
    • Why do I need a change in my Job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is nothing to negotiate in this phase. I would give an advice for others to considering an offer with cerner because you find the name and fame for your work and salary will be satisfactory for your hardwork.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Phone interview: Asked behavior questions and tech questions. I couldn't understand the first question, and the HR person doesn't either and he couldn't restate the question for me either.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner.

Interview

Completed first round of on campus interviews. The recruiters were very friendly. It was a little difficult to understand the actual job I was interviewing for. With Cerner, if you are hired out of college, you're typically hired into the "Velocity" program. This is essentially a training program within the company for specific types of roles (software engineer, consultants, sales, etc.). As part of the program you initially go through a lot of training, pertaining to the Cerner software products and any other specific skills requried for your role. You then typically go through a couple rotations where you work in several different groups within the company. At then end of your rotations you are placed with a particular group/team based on the particular needs of the team and how your skills align.

Interview Questions

• You are asked a lot of "describe a time when you ......." questions where you have to really think on your feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Package was very competitive. I'm not aware of Cerner ever negotiating compensation for college hires.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Monster. We had a 10-15 minute phone conversation about my behavior and past employment. Then I was called the following Monday by a technical recruiter and had a 15-30 minute conversation about my techincal abilities working with Active Directory, Group Policy, Server Systems, and various software environments. The recruiter Cody Grays was very professional with me and set me up to have a in-person interview at the World Headquarters building. They put me up in the Sheraton Hotel in downtown KC, which was a 5 star hotel and very nice. I came into the building and sat in the main lobby to wait for a recruiter to come get me and take me to my interview. Cerner has a interview day in which they bring in 10-15 candidates for open posistions. They put us all in individual conference rooms as the interviewers come in and interview us. After 3 hours of pleasant interviewing, I was contacted 2 weeks from the interview date with a posistion. The system engineer job is a very broad category. Cerner has many departments that handle all aspects of healthcare. Be sure to ask as many questions as possible. (They encourage learning and as many questions as you can think to ask.) I think it is a test with Cerner to see how interested you are. They don't give you all the information up front and want to see if you are inquisitive enough to find all the infromation. It's a wonderful side test for interviewing so just be aware.

Interview Questions

• My most difficult question had to deal with JavaScript and SQL databases. Being a fresh graduate and only having 2 years experience in the field I haven't had much contact with SQL. So just brush up on some basic terms and concepts of SQL and Java. Most of what Cerner builds in interfacing is run on Java. So it's a big deal to know how Java works and what it's functions are.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offered me a great starting salary for an entry-level posistion. Also I am 2 months from my BAS degree and my pay scale will jump to the BAS scale instead of my AAS scale.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cerner (Kansas City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview that was set up 2 weeks prior. I was told that I will be contacted for a second phone interview with an IT manager. Questions were easy and fair. The HR recruiter was flexible and nice. He explained the training program clearly and what to expect in this position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my previous projects and how I overcome the issues if I had one. Most of the questions were fair actually.   Answer Question