Cerner

Getting the Interview

40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Velocity Delivery Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Applied online and then had a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes with about four behavioral questions. Then had two in person interviews. Both were 45 minutes and continually was asked behavioral questions. The interviewers seemed to look for someone who was able to keep a conversation going and think quick on their feed.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a problem that you overcame with little to no knowledge of the situation or how to solve it beforehand   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Phone interview with a recruiter, followed by an interview at headquarters in Kansas City. (Travel and hotel were paid for). Three 1:1 interviews with different managers who read behavioral-based interview questions off of a piece of paper. You get lunch in the cafeteria and a tour of the campus, followed by presentations from recruiting and panel interviews of current employees in various roles.

Interview Question – None- most were pretty standard questions about experiences with good and bad co-workers, how you solve problems, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cerner in November 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by Recruiter after submitting application online and at campus career fair. Phone interview consisted of about 3-4 behavioral questions and conversation. The phone interview was thirty minutes and at the end of it, I was told that I would be invited to an Experience Cerner Day (ECD) at the World Headquarters in Kansas City, MO. These happen on Fridays during the fall and spring recruiting season. I flew out on a Thursday and had a tour of Kansas City with a group of about 25 other candidates. There then was a dinner with a current employee. After dinner, the consultants stay and talk with the recruiters about the applicants. I would advise just to be yourself at the dinner and talk freely with others. The next morning we were taken on a shuttle from the hotel to Cerner's HQ. There was a brief overview of the company followed by two forty-five minute interviews with current Cerner employees. Honestly, some of the employees did not even know that they were interviewing candidates that day. They had my resume in hand but I could tell that they had not read it over and that they were not really comfortable interviewing people.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you were in a conflict with someone who didn't see your way of thinking.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The Cerner offer is great, but I had received much higher offers from other companies. The amenities at Cerner are great, but I feel that they can compensate their employees more.

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – It was very relaxed and was a great opportunity to sit down with various employers and get to know the company. It is about interviewing them just as much as interviewing you. It was two interviews with 2 different people, each at 30 minutes. There were no assessments and you also got to ask questions to other employers.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you adopted technology to solve a problem at work or school.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – Phone interview was easy. Experience Cerner day was an adventure!

Interview Question – Name a time you had to teach someone a new skill   Answer Question

Velocity Delivery Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Very vague, never answered questions about the roles or the structure of Cerner when in fact there are different organizations within the company that have different functions. They are not allowed to mention the parking situation or location of work. Basically a sorting hat that is randomized.

Interview Question – If you can show that you'll do any job and are willing to work lots of hours for only 40 hours pay (overnight shifts, weekends) then you will probably be hired since they want people who are "agile". If you have specific interests or experience, don't expect that you will be able to do that until you give almost 2 years of your life doing what they need someone to do.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – If you're form out of state, they will fly you into Kansas City, MO. The interview felt very casual and not overly intimidating and stiff as most interviews are.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to manage more than one thing at once? How did you prioritize your work?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – After two weeks, they called and offered me the job. The only issue is they would want you to start right away. In my case I had to fly into Kansas City in two week notice.

Velocity Delivery Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email from campus recruiter requesting a phone interview about 3 weeks after applying. The phone interview was very laid back and relaxed, lasting about 30 minutes. The recruiter went over my resume and just asked me to confirm some parts of it and explain a little further on some points. Then she asked some behavioral type interview questions that weren't too difficult. After the questions the recruiter told me about the differences between two positions I qualified for (one requiring travel, the other not requiring any travel). Finally we discussed salary and start dates. According to the recruiter, their average salary for this position was mid to upper 40,000's. They seem to have a variety of start dates throughout the year but they are available on a first come first serve basis. I am presently waiting to hear from the recruiter to see if they want to bring me to KC for an in person interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you creatively solved a problem.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2012.

Interview Details – Overall Process: Applied online, had a 30 minute phone interview, flew out to Experience Cerner Day (included a nice dinner, bus tour of KCMO, campus tour, and two one-on-one interviews). I received an offer, over the phone, 11 days after my interview.

Online Application: Pretty basic. For this position, they do require you to upload copies of all college transcripts to your application before they’ll invite you to an onsite interview. Might as well do that right away. A cover letter is optional, but I didn’t do one.

Phone interview: Briefly discussed each past position listed on my resume. Was asked about: My preference for a traveling or non-traveling role, any experience I may have with teaching individuals, was I OK with the salary range, was I willing to relocate to KCMO, did I have any questions. Probably 10 minutes of me asking questions.

Experience Cerner Day: There were about 30 people in the group. I’d say eight of us flew in and stayed in the hotel, while the rest were local enough to drive over. Dinner was 100% relaxed. Round tables with 5-ish interviewees and one Cerner associate at each. The associate is there to provide insider information for any questions you may have. Seems like associates can sign up periodically to be part of these events.

After dinner, you are driven back to the hotel and can do whatever you want until being picked back up the next morning at 8 AM. Some people went out, some stayed in.

The next day, you are driven to Cerner WHQ and interviews occur after a general welcome session. You are walked to a nice, small room where your interviewers come to you for 30-minute, one-on-one interview sessions. The interviewer flips through a packet of behavioral questions, picks ones to ask you, and takes notes on what you say. Some I got asked were: Tell me about a time you dealt with ambiguity in the workplace, tell me about a time you rearranged your schedule to help someone else, tell me about a time you juggled many deadlines, tell me about a time you taught someone something about technology.

Look up the STAR method of answering and follow that outline with your answers. Focus on what YOU did and not what your team did, etc.

My interviewers were nice, friendly, professional, and interesting people and increased my interest in wanting to work for Cerner.

I was told that soon after the interview day, your interviewers meet with your recruiter, compare notes, and make a hiring decision that is then passed higher up for approval. They say they will get back to you within two weeks of your interview.

It’s downhill after the interviews. You’ll watch a few presentations, take a tour of campus, and eat lunch at the cafeteria.

Eleven days later, I was called with an offer and given two weeks to decide (with the option of asking for more time, if needed). When/if you accept, you approve a background check and submit to a drug test (urine) within three days (you provide your address and they assign you a lab location near you).

I was also given a wide range of start dates to choose from, which was nice. I was given over two weeks to choose a start date (but they are filled on a first come first serve basis, so waiting may bump you to your second choice).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to travel for work.   View Answer

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2012.

Interview Details – I met the recruiter at university campus career fair, and got contacted a few days later to set up Experience Cerner Day. The company asked me to drive to Kansas City, as I didn't live too far away.

I drove down Thursday afternoon and Cerner had reserved a nice hotel room at Hilton. I met with the other people all there for Cerner, and there were around 30 people in total, which I thought was a lot. A Cerner specialist met us at the lobby and took us on a one-hour bus tour around the important parts of Kansas City, like Power and Lights district and the Plaza. Then we went to dinner at Lidia's, an Italian restaurant. Great food. There were people there already with the company and had the same position, for us to ask questions. They were very helpful and said many positive things about the company and position. After that, we were encouraged to check out the city so we can see for ourselves what it's like living there. I went drinking with a friend that lives in KC.

Free breakfast the next morning! After that, we were taken to Cerner headquarters. When we got there, we went to a conference room for a short presentation and had ipads to play with. I then had two interviews, where I was lead to the room and the interviewers came to me. The questions were pretty easy, just your standard behavior questions as well as a few little questions about your resume. 30 minutes each, and about 4 or 5 questions per interview. The interviewers were easygoing and nice, and made me feel at ease. They had Delivery Consultant positions as well, and were able to explain more about the position.

We then went back to the conference room and had a few more presentations before free lunch. After lunch, we were taken on a tour of the campus headquarters, and it was very impressive. Then we were taken back to the conference room where we received a bag with a plastic water cup, reimbursement for any fees, as well as information about looking for apartments in Kansas City (which I think is jumping the gun a little, seeing as we didn't get the offer yet). Then the day was over, and they brought us back to the hotel or airport.

Overall, it was a great experience. Cerner's got a great and casual work environment. Cerner Day was organized very well and was fun. Cerner day was Friday, and I got the offer the next Wednesday morning, with 2 weeks to decide.

Interview Question – standard behavioral questions, make sure you find some and review them, and think of situations and scenarios. think STAR answers. I heard many people got different questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary is lower than other companies with entry level consultant positions, and lower than starting salary for people with a Bachelors Degree. That said, the salary might be fair, seeing as the cost of living isn't as high in Kansas City as some of the bigger cities. However, it's still lower than industry standard, with not much room for negotiation. I haven't decided whether or not I'll take the offer, as I've got others lined up.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner Velocity Delivery Consultant interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees and interview candidates.