Cerner

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2012.

Interview Details – I feel like my interview was completely abnormal from my counterparts...I did not have a phone interview at all. I was contacted by a member of the HR team and asked to come down to Kansas City to interview (most people have at least one interview before this). The actual interviews were completely 100% behavioral questions...unless you are interviewing for a computer science position.

They brought us all down together and gave us a tour of Kansas City. They had us stay in a hotel downtown and then took us to an italian restaurant called Lidia's. It was pretty good food. After that, we were able to ask questions to Cerner members (who had no idea what was going on). Then, we were able to go back to the hotel and do whatever we wanted. Fortunately my basketball teal was playing that night!!!! March madness ftw...so I went to the game that night.

The next day was 'interview day' an.d we had three back to back interviews...the first two 20 minutes and the third 30 minutes. Each interview was 100% behavioral questions. After that we were taken back to the hotel and we all went home.

Interview Question – (they love people who come from a technical background....so) Explain an aspect of your undergraduate research to me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered the job over the phone and I asked what the negotiation opportunities were like (probably not the most intelligent thing) and I accepted on the spot....thought the offer was very fair.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in December 2011.

Interview Details – First - phone screen with HR, goes over your resume and asks some basic HR questions. If you seem like a good fit, they schedule you for a formal interview. THis consists of 100% behavioral STAR type questions with a current employee. If you do well, they fly you out to the HQ for in person interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a group decision.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2011.

Interview Details – I first applied online and received a call from someone HR who asked me a few questions about my resume. Then she said she wanted to schedule a phone interview (even though that felt like it was one). A week later I had the phone interview with someone in HR and they asked me very weird behavioral questions (tell me about a time you had to adjust a client's expectations... I'm in college, I don't have clients!). I had gotten about three hours of sleep the night before and thought I totally bombed the interview but apparently not because I was asked to come to the final round in Kansas City.

The night before, we were taken on a tour of the city which I was surprisingly impressed with. It's more of a city than I pictured and they have done some great things in recent years to spruce it up. Then we had a very nice dinner but seats were assigned and I ended up sitting next to some awkward people.

The next day you are given an iPad to play with and given a couple of presentations on both Cerner and the role. There is also a panel with people in the role. You will have 3 1:1 interviews with employees in different areas with standard behavioral/resume walkthrough questions. You will also get a tour of campus and lunch at the cafeteria.

A week later I received an offer with a starting salary of $48,000 for the position.

Overall Cerner seemed like a very nice place to work. They have an on-site gym and clinic as well as daycare. They are very health oriented so there are weight loss challenges and incentives within the company. However, it seemed like the employees worked too hard and they were constantly making excuses for this.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to adjust a client's expectations   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a higher offer ($60,000) from Epic for the same sort of position and it also seemed like a more fun place to work.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in August 2011.

Interview Details – Easy behavioral questions, 3 rounds of interviews. The recruiter was rather slow to respond. Took about 3 weeks before I heard back. After office visit was aware that I had another offer outstanding and still didn't call to offer me a position until about 3 hours before the other offer was due.

Interview Question – Tell me about working with a difficult person   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had 3 1:1 interviews with Cerner. All were behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What was a time when you weighed the pros and cons of a situation and chose not to act because of those pros and cons?   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in August 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from a Cerner recruiter who did an initial phone screening. After the screening she set time to do a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and was mainly asked questions about my resume. After the interview I was then told they would fly me into Kansas City for a face-to-face interview.

Two weeks, after my first phone interview, I was flow into Kansas City. Cerner put me up in a nice hotel for the night. The next morning Cerner had a bus waiting for us at the front of the hotel. There were about 30+ candidates who were also flown in for interviews. The interview consisted of three, 30min interviews. Interviews went very well and everyone made you feel at home. After the interview process we went straight to the airport.

I stayed in contact with my recruiter the entire time, and 3 weeks later I received phone call stating that they had found more qualified applicants. Good experience and I'm glad my recruiter called me as soon as they made their decisions. The only disappointment is that it took so long.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to work with a difficult team member?   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was notified via email that I was accepted for an on campus interview where I met with a campus recruiter and an employee from the field. I was then contacted two weeks later by the recruiter and asked to come on campus for a visit. The visit consisted of two 1:1 interviews that were all behavioral questions. I was originally told that I would be having three interviews; during the time of my third interview I sat in the room with nothing to do for 30 minutes because no one showed up. I was then taken to a large room with a panel of recent hires who shared their experience with the company. I thought the interview went very well....

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were on a team and they failed to follow through with their commitments to you, how did you handle this situation?

Were you able to complete the task?
      Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you failed at a business related task, how did you handle this situation and notify a superior?   Answer Question
  • What do you do for fun?   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in April 2011.

Interview Details – They called me with 2 phone interviews then flew me in for a experience cerner day. We had a group discussion panel afterwards and out we go back to the airport. The interviewers puts you at ease so everything seems calm. Great experience though.

Interview Question – Talk about a time where you had to go against authority.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Cerner in February 2011.

Interview Details – There were eight of us all interviewing for the same position. It started out with a very thorough presentation describing the job role. About half of us were taking notes and they allowed notes into the interviews. After the presentation we had three back-to-back-to-back interviews. The first interviewer I had asked a couple questions that were worded in a ridiculous manner, but for the most part the questions were very basic STAR questions. After the three interviews we were brought back into the presentation room where there were two former Velocity Delivery Consultants for questions about the job role, the company or anything else anyone chose to talk about (this part was very open and informal). After this we were sent on our way. Everyone I met was incredibly nice.

Interview Question – Name a time you were involved in a sensitive situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cerner in February 2011.

Interview Details – Simple behavioral interviews. One on the first day, and two back to back ones on the second day. All seek STAR responses. Very simple and straightforward though.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to deal with ambiguity on a project?   Answer Question