Cerner

Getting the Interview

112 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process started off with a phone interview. I was asked about my experience as an intern and other stuff about resume. The interviewer was sweet and had the patience to wait until I completed my answers. The second round was technical but was heavy on behavioral questions too. Most of the questions have appeared on blackboard.
For the technical interview, a problem on designing a game (chess or checkers) will surely appear. Make sure you have written it down somewhere for reference if you get lost. The key is to remain calm and answer to the point.
I will be flying to Kansas in two days. Will post my experience when I return

Interview Question – Some of the behavioral questions were tricky like "Give an instance where you had a discord with your supervisor and how did you handle it?" . Although they may seem easy now, at that moment you need to dig deep and piece them in a right way   View Answers (3)

Velocity Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – Once they will call you with hangout.

After passing through the first phone screening interview, you will have an onsite interview.

The problems in the onsite interview are all in glassdoor.

Interview Question – It was just normal.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cerner in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online, Contacted by HR for an initial screen. Was followed by a technical phone interview (Chess oop, testing, debugging techniques and some behavioral).
Got through to on-site: 2 interviews back to back (so carry a water bottle). Both had technical and behavioral. All tech questions on glassdoor. I was asked for Cerner BST with duplicates, FOOBAR problem (and how to make it more efficient), Walk thru the string reversal prob (uses a substring), unit testing, database stuff. Again all from glassdoor. Interviewers were super friendly and helped a lot when I had a few hiccups in the technical questions.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, be sure about the basics of BST, String reversals and be thorough with what's on your resume ! Communication matters. Practice behavioral using STAR(or SAR) method if you are not too confident ...   View Answers (6)

Negotiation Details – Got the offer 10 days after my interview. No negotiation, good enough package for an inexpensive place like KC, MO.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in February 2014.

Interview Details – HR - Resume and some behavior questions
Technical : board game + Debug questions

Interview Question – Do they send reject mails? or how long do they take to respond post technical phone interview?   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was selected on Campus and had a virtual skype interview. Later I was called for Cerner Experience Day , where there were two one on one interviews.

Interview Question – All questions were from Glassdoor, nothing unexected.   View Answer

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in January 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached me through linkedin. First round was basic phone interview with HR involving details about my resume and previous work ex with few behavioral questions. Then one technical interview on phone all questions from glassdoor.
Then Called onsite 2 interviews one behavioral and one technical. All the questions from glassdoor. Interview is not difficult just be sensible and communicate confidently.
No negotiation in salary!

Interview Question – Nothing all from Glassdoor   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They dont negotiate even if u have relative experience of few years

Interviewed at Cerner

Interview Details – There are 3 rounds. One phone HR, one phone technical and an onsite( behavioural and technical). The first round was pretty easy. Had a call with HR. It went on for 30 mins. She asked me about my internship experiences, the projects I had worked on at school. Some regular questions like bad experience with a teammate, challenging thing during internship.

The next round was phone technical.this went on for 30 mins again. Started talking about my internship experience.. then few behavioral questions like hard time with manager and how I dealt with it, challenges with clients I faced, Best and worst thing about my internship, My most favorite school project and why?.. then she asked a few technical questions.. Started off with the usual chess game design.. garbage collection.. memory management in C,C++ and java..
What is memory leak? I think that was it..

The interview was pretty easy.. just be prepared with all the glassdoor questions and you should be good. All the best!!!

Interview Question – There wasn't any unexpected question, It was pretty much the glassdoor questions..   View Answers (4)

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process and questions have been posted by others so I do not want to write them again. To give advice, I would say you just need to be yourself because it's all about the communication between you and the interviewers (prepare the behavior questions well). Technical questions are easy but make sure you explain the answers to the interviewers clearly (practice make perfect).
Even though I do not get the offer, but overall it is a very good experience at Cerner considering you have nothing to lose (all the fees are covered). I would recommend new fresh graduates who is looking for a start for their career to try Cerner. The Velocity program (as they presented) is awesome since it is designed to promote your strengths.

Best of luck my college fellas!

Interview Question – Lots of behavior questions, many of those are on Glassdoor.   View Answers (4)

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in December 2013.

Interview Details – The process was extended due to the change in their application pages for jobs and internships such as this one. But overall the process would have taken 3 weeks.

Interview Question – I was very disappointed with this interview, as I was told it was going to be a 'Technical Interview'. Well - it ended up being 80% situational and as you know, if you don't prepare, you don't perform.   Answer Question

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Answered all the questions right with positive affirmation from the interviewer, and still wasn't selected.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cerner

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner Velocity Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 112 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cerner employees and interview candidates.