Cerner

Average Difficulty
136 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – 2 rounds Phone Interview and 2 rounds onsite interview, all questions from glassdoor.
Kansas City is a small and nice city but looks not much fun.
Cerner is a good company and the business model is correct.
All the staff we met looks love their company so much.
The interview peace is too tight and you don't have time to know the city even this is a small city.

Interview Question – some behavior questions   View Answers (2)

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was planning to apply to Cerner in the nearby future (they actually came to my university recruiting but I didn't apply anywhere straight away) when I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Knowing that this was probably the best way to actually get over the fear of applying I replied and applied right away.
The whole process would have been faster, but I had prior commitments.
I had a phone interview with the recruiter 4 days after she contacted me, and then a phone interview with a software engineer a little bit more than a week after that.
The first phone interview was very basic, completely behavioral. The most unexpected questions were "what do you do in your spare time to increase your programming abilities" (I'm in grad school, I spend most of my time doing research, during the day and when I'm back at home; I ended up telling her about the algorithms books I had started reviewing) and "tell me about a recent time when you learned a new programming language" (I hadn't learned a new programming language in a while, so I was not entirely prepared for this either, but I talked about a time 4 years ago heh).
The phone interview with the engineer was again mostly behavioral. Any technical questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
Then I got the call about Experience Cerner day, but I couldn't make it to the earliest one because of prior commitments, so I made it to the next one, which was exactly a month after my technical phone screen.
Experience Cerner Day was quite nice, albeit it started very, very early. We started with a tour of Kansas City, the city of fountains, and then had our interviews.
One note about attire: Cerner is jeans-casual, but everyone interviewing will, more than likely, wear a suit. So do the same, you don't want to feel under-dressed!
My interviewers were pleasant and we had some nice conversations. Half behavioral, half technical. They asked the Fizz-Buzz question, and another one about designing a database. All of the questions are on Glassdoor (except the database question, just make sure you know RDBMS normalization, you should figure it out on your own, this was definitely not a standard question).
I'll add the question I felt I had the biggest problem with (but which maybe was exactly what got me hired) below.
They said it would take them up to 2 weeks to give out a decision, I got mine in 10 days (I had almost given up hope by then).

Interview Question – When was there a time when ONE SINGLE project was so overwhelming that you felt there weren't enough hours in a day for it and what did you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I thought about negotiating but then searched online and it seems that that's the salary they give out (it's 1k less than someone posted here). I also got a relocation package.

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details – Although I had a good deal of enthusiasm going into the first phone interview (the first after one or two phone screens), I can not say the same for my interviewer. Whether it was my resume or just his task of interviewing prospects that inspired his dull, uninterested handling of questions I won't know. Rushed through introductions, didn't make an attempt at conversation, and seemed rebuffed during the introduction when I asked him how he was. Each question was read off the list, with little to no acknowledgement of correct answers (certainly not for incorrect answers). Received a rejection the next day. Mercifully quick at least.

Of note, in the weeks that followed, I had Cerner recruiters picking up my resume from indeed.com and emailing me. I found out, however, that this just means they don't bother cross-checking prospects with previously interviewed employees. As I was still interested in what this company does, I expressed interest in interviewing with them again, but this was not possible.

Interview Question – Most of the questions already listed in other comments. I also remember a question regarding the design of an OOP Chess game.   Answer Question

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Interview Details – Had my 1st HR Phone interview 2 months ago and they scheduled me for 2nd phone round a week ago. Second one was a phone-based interview that mostly focused on Technical and a bit behavioral aspects. I got to know in a couple of days that I got through my 2nd round as well and Now waiting on them to schedule my Onsite Interviews. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Everything was from glassdoor information base. It really helps you to ease and ace your interview.   View Answers (2)

Velocity Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in May 2014.

Interview Details – I had phone interview and then after 2weeks onsite interview. Every single question is from Glassdoor so prepare properly. The only different question I was asked to design database schema on person and address, this was to show how normalization works and draw tables for 1nf,2nf,3nf. Rest all are from glassdoor. If given option for onsite/skype,I would say go for onsite as its fun and very nice experience I had. They place you in President hotel which is in downtown of Kansas City and onsite gives you idea about the employees,location,expectations etc. Saw lot of young developers so seems to be nice place to start your career. Ppl from NY,WA,CA wont like this place much bcs its very quite plc.

Interview Question – Pseudocode to find error which was having Exception Handling concept and it was regarding status of person is Active/InAcrive. Ans is function wont get called as all arguments are not passed from previous function.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No such negotiation. For this position they offer max 68k which is quite decent as per cost of living.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – First Round HR - Details about your Resume(Work Exp and everything)
Second Round Technical - 1. Mainly concentrate on OOPS concept. They will ask you to design any game problem most ppbly the one listed in your resume (Please Note, they just ask you to design and not write program, so be clear with what you say). It may be Chess/Chinese Checkers or any other game.
2. Memory management in Java and C++ (Please be ready to explain about Garbage Collection in Brief)
3. Different Types of Testing (Diff between WhiteBox, BlackBox Testing, Unit Testing)
4. Be prepared for Behavioral Question eg( What if types)
PS: Be calm, answer Confidently you will surely get Onsite Call
Onsite Round (Two Round):
Round1 :
Behavioral
Dealing with tough Manager/Professor.
Technical:
1. Car and Paint Problem (Explain OOPS concept). It seems they love OOPS ,
2. Will give you a recursion problem and ask you to explain it(so called Dry Run)
3. What is Normalization,Denormalization
4. Longest Increasing Subsequence Problem (Surprising they added DP in their Question Bank), but still easy one .

Round 2:
Behavioral
Same as Round 1. I think you should be confident and good in making stories to Ace Behavioral.
Technical :
1. Binary Search
2. Print number from 1 to 75, If divided by 5 print "Foo" , If divided by 7 print "Bar", If Divided by both 5 and 7 print "FooBar"
3. Follow up on Q2 to improve the program .
Hint : Guys please when they ask you to improve algo, avoid modulus operator because it is more expensive). Think a bit about its Solution .Its very simple.
4. All types of Joins and explain them
5. Writing a Binary Tree for "CERNER"

Interview Question – Nothing , every thing is simple. The only thing is you should be clear with your basics and Fundamentals.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I liked the Offer. Best part you can get in any team you want.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied Online ,Heard Back from Recruiter after 2 weeks .Still waiting for the Interview Decision
Hr Screening : Basic Resume Overview Questions ,Gone Over Project Explained the Position
Telephonic Technical Interview :
Video Interview - 2 Rounds

Overall Interview is Process Oriented,Expecting to hear back from them about my Interview status

Interview Question – Telephonic Interview:
1.) What is Unit Testing
2.) What is Code Coverage
3.) Explain your projects.
4.) Tell me about a time you encountered a conflict with a Team Member
5.)OOPS Priniciple
Many Behavioural Questions

Video Interview : 2 1 hour Google Hangout Interview

Interview 1 : How did you fix a production Issue
                       Displayed acode and asked to find out the output for that .It was code for String Reversal?
                        Was Should a Code and was asked to find out about the Null Pointer Exception ?
                        Asked about Different Joins in SQL

Interview 2 : Write a code that printouts Foobar if the No is a multiple of 7 print Foo if multiple of 5 print bar if multiple of (7 and 5) print Foo Bar
2.) Explain Binary Search algorithm to find 9 from numbers 1 to 19
3.)Explain Projects
4.) Asked to Write String Reversal Logic
  View Answer

Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2013.

Interview Details – The process was ok. Got a Skype screening first where I was interviewed by an Engineer. After passing that interview, I was invited to there head quarters for the onsite interview in Kansas. When I got there, I was placed in a room and Engineer after Engineer came and asked me questions.

Interview Question – None, all questions were as expected.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – In telephonic interview mainly I was asked about the behavioral questions followed by few technical questions.

Interview Question – How would you design classes using oops foe a chess game   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process started off with a phone interview. I was asked about my experience as an intern and other stuff about resume. The interviewer was sweet and had the patience to wait until I completed my answers. The second round was technical but was heavy on behavioral questions too. Most of the questions have appeared on blackboard.
For the technical interview, a problem on designing a game (chess or checkers) will surely appear. Make sure you have written it down somewhere for reference if you get lost. The key is to remain calm and answer to the point.
I will be flying to Kansas in two days. Will post my experience when I return

Interview Question – Some of the behavioral questions were tricky like "Give an instance where you had a discord with your supervisor and how did you handle it?" . Although they may seem easy now, at that moment you need to dig deep and piece them in a right way   View Answers (3)

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!