Cerner

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – A recruiter e-mailed me the next day after appling online to schedule a phone interview with her to discuss my background and job position that I applied for. The phone call took approximately 30 minutes and consisted of a couple basic behavioral questions but nothing major.

Once that was completed, she then scheduled me to have a technical interview 2 days later. It contained some behavioral questions, but mostly it was all technical questions. I'd suggest you brush up a little about cloud computing, networking, and databases some before you do interview, because these system engineer managers know what they're talking about and will know what you don't. The call took a little over 30 minutes to complete.

A few days later, I got a call back from the Cerner recruiter who set me up for an on-site interview, or what they call "Experience Cerner Day." This consisted of attending a tour of the city and dinner the night before. The tour was pretty educational, because you get to see a side of the city that has a lot of character. The dinner was awesome and they gave you a chance to speak with other system engineers that went through the velocity program to ask them questions about it as well as other questions about their day-to-day work lives. It was very informal and I think it helped us understand the Cerner culture better.

The next day consisted of going on-site where we talked with the Velocity programming manager and he gave a one-hour presentation of what the velocity program was. After that we had our 2 1-hour interview with different system engineers. It was mostly made up of STAR questions, so as long as you can relate to the question and come up with one of your experiences, you won't have a problem.

After that, we had lunch, tour of the continuous campus, and then watched a video. It was definitely an interesting experience and I look forward to working for them.

Interview Question – Just read up on how STAR questions work and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had an initial interview with someone from HR. Typical behavioral and get-to-know-you type questions. My second interview, the "technical" interview, was with a System Engineer. He did not ask as many technical questions as I thought.

From what I've gathered, I think they realize they're going to teach you everything you need to know. They just want to hire a certain type of person, so they use the interviews to see what kind of person you are, not how experienced you are.

Interview Question – Nothing too out of the ordinary. They'll ask about your past projects you've done outside of class.   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Cerner.

Interview Details – Entire process took a little over two weeks. I applied on Cerner's website and was contacted by a recruiter who did a quick phone screening and then set up a phone interview.

The 30- minute phone interview was fairly easy, mostly behavioral questions with a couple of technical questions. I was then contacted the next day and asked to come in for two on-site interviews, each an hour long. The two interviews were fairly straightforward, again mostly behavioral questions with some technical questions thrown in.

All of my interviews were done by system engineers / software engineers / team leads rather then H.R., so be somewhat prepared; you can't just fake your way through like you can with an HR drone, although that being said, I actually had a wider spectrum of conceptual technical knowledge than my second interviewer, and I had no experience in the field whatsoever, and it had been almost a year since I graduated, so make of that what you will.

In general, be familiar with general technical concepts, system design, and networking concepts. I wasn't asked to go into great detail on anything, and the format of the whole thing was very conversational.

Nothing difficult or unexpected, some of the technical questions are worded oddly or are very broad, so you might have to ask your interviewer specifically what he wants you to talk about.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. Provided (in my opinion) very good salary for someone just out of college with no experience.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in December 2013.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews followed by 2 onsite interviews

Interview Question – just be on top of your behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Velocity Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cerner in November 2013.

Interview Details – Started the process by applying online. After 2-3 days, I got an email from a recruiter saying that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. This was standard HR stuff, mainly asking about my resume. We then scheduled a time for another over the phone interview with a technician. Got an email two days later saying the interviews went well and they wanted to bring me out to Experience Cerner Days. The first day was just dinner and a tour of KC. The second was the interview day.

Started the day off by talking for a couple minutes, then someone came in and gave a short presentation. After that, we were taken off to separate rooms for two rounds of interviews.

The first interviewer was your stereotypical engineer. He had a packet of questions to ask. Stayed away from technical questions except "What is NAS and SAN." Other than that, I was asked typical "What would you do in so-and-so situation?"

The second interview was the same way. The interviewer had a packet of questions to ask. I felt more comfortable with this interviewer because she was very easy to talk to. We shared stories of our hatred of the Scheme programming language and experiences with it. This answered more of the questions she had to ask in the packet. The only technical question she asked me was "Suppose a client can't connect to the interview. How would you troubleshoot this?"

After the round of interviews, we were given a good lunch in-house, toured the campus, and watched a video of the data center. After that, we went home.

Interview Question – A client can't connect to the internet. How would you troubleshoot this?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 75% of people offered this type of position end up being Tech support or IT. I have done that for years and would rather not end up doing that. Plus, I can make more money going to my current job full time than with Cerner

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in October 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview telling me about the program and asking a few basic "tell me a time..." questions, a little over 20 minutes. Then I got scheduled for a technical phone interview. The interviewer asked very basic tech-related questions that most everyone knows. The questions are already on GD. I am heavily tech oriented but I felt the whole process didn't really care about that since you will most likely end up customer supporting their Cerner Millenium software which you learn there anyways.

Get a call back 5 days later saying the interview went well and do you want to go to KC for an in person interview? I said sure and gave my information to a 2nd HR person. I get a preliminary plane ticket but 2 plane seats weren't reserved so I ended up with sub optimal seats having to check in and receive seats at the airport. Anyways the first night out was a 45 minute group tour of Kansas City followed by a dinner where all candidates (local/distance) were seated 4 to a table + 1 Cerner employee who has/had the position you applied for. All this is off the record so you can ask him/her whatever you want.

Next day was a tour of their newest campus where you will most likely do the training period and stay after that. Presentations were done on what the company is, their growth, why its in such a good position, and of course the program details. Then 2 interviews were done, each 1 hour. Each was a 1:1 and the interviewer had some technical managerial role but not necessarily related to the Velocity Program. Questions were from packets, and a tremendous amount of "tell me a time when" questions were asked and responses jotted down. And the rest were about your work/school experiences.

Cerner tries to sell Kansas City just as much as they try to sell the company itself to you. You get tourist packets and basically an evening dedicated to convince you that KC is where you want to live. I thought I did really well on the interviews but apparently I didn't get selected. I think for some reason they thought I was too technical and wasn't going to be satisfied with the "customer support/configuration" position very long.

Interview Question – Almost all questions are already on Glassdoor   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Interview Details – Dropped off my resume at the career fair at our University, got a phone call the next week. She was very nice and first told a little about herself and her position she has at Cerner and then asked my to tell about myself and my background. There were 2 type of questions. First situation-based questions like: "What would you do if there is an unexpected change in the project with a short notice? How would you deal with these type of situations". The other section was "technical questions". She finally asked me if I had any questions for her (which I did). She told me the interview was good and I will be getting an email from her next week.
The questions she asked me were easy. I didn't find them hard. You will not encounter hard questions during the first interview.

Interview Questions

Velocity Systems Engineer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cerner in March 2012.

Interview Details – So far I have had a phone interview with two separate recruiters. The first was only can you work in the US type of questions. The second was to tell me to apply of a different position based on my skills. Now I am on to a technical interview. I will update further.

Interview Question – No technical questions as of yet   Answer Question

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!