Cerner Velocity Systems Engineer Interview Questions

2.5

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner.

Applied online
Then email from a recruiter
Then pre screening call
Phone technical Interview
Onsite Campus Visit with 2 back to back Technical Interviews.
Waited 2 weeks to hear back

The technical interview is flawed, the systems engineer was very cocky but the second software engineer was nicer and had a good personality.

Other Interview Reviews for Cerner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in July 2014.

Recruiter found me on dice.com and emailed me June 27th we had 1 of 2 phone interviews on July 1st. Very basic questions, she asked about salary requirements, explain some of my background experience, discussed my willingness to relocate ect. She emailed me later that day to set up a phone interview with a fellow systems engineer which took place July 2nd. This was what they called technical but it wasn't anything too challenging. They said they would get back with me. I was surprised with the 4th of july weekend that they got back with me so quick but on July 7th I got an email to invite me out to Cerner on July 23rd.

I was flown in, and picked up at the airport by a 3rd party transport company and taken to the President Hilton Hotel downtown. Had a free voucher for a great dinner as well as a great free breakfast buffet. There where 7 candidates in total but they said they normally did not have that many. We got a great tour of the city and spent most of the day learning and touring Cerner. Including an awesome lunch with a systems engineer. It said blue jeans where allowable but nobody wore jeans. Only me and one other person wore suits but the recruiter did say they are trying to move towards a more professional attire.

There where two interviews both with fellow systems engineers and they where both very casual and pleasant. They told me they just volunteer for the interviews and they fill out a standard interview form. If you where comfortable with the 2nd phone interview these two are both very similar. Basic technical stuff and some behavior. I was defiantly expecting a more rigorous interview, but was very comfortable.

They called me 8/1 (10 days after the onsite interviews) and declined to extend me an offer.

I was a bit at a loss, as I got great feedback from all who interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • SAN vs NAS?
      What is a Wiki and a forum?
      List Linux commands you know?
      Know basic DB commands.
      Explain how you would work through a troubleshooting scenario.
      Explain a time when you had a software and hardware conflict and what did you do?
      Dealing with multiple deadlines how do you prioritize?
      Practices for keeping computer secure.
        Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cerner in June 2014.

Phone call with HR, then a week later phone call with an engineer. Was invited up, was promised a tour of the city, never happened. Interview with two engineers on site was annoying, they never made eye contact, boring stale questions all of which are glassdoor. Lunch was horrible, sandwiches, and two nerdy engineers with no personality. HR recruiter couldn't answer any questions about commuter tax, played with her cellphone the entire time. I received a verbal no 3 weeks later, was told two days I had almost given up. When asked to help me understand what areas I needed to improve, the recruiter couldn't explain and rushed me off the phone.

Overall I was left with feeling that this is a cocky young culture company that will work you to the bone. I was impressed with Cerner before I had my onsite, seeing it changed my mind. I would not want to work for them, the money is good however the hours will be long so you won't get to enjoy it.

I recommend looking at other EHR vendors who are private such as EPIC. Cerner just bought Siemens Health and now their heads are swollen. its not a good place for a long term career.

I am surprised that a company this prestigious would have such a horrible HR recruiter, I am so disappointed that I have a bitter taste, truly proves the point that you have to go and see the company and people before you decide.

Interview Questions
    • All group and behavioral questions, the tech questions could be answered by a second grader.   Answer Question

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cerner.

Entire process took a little over two weeks. I applied on Cerner's website and was contacted by a recruiter who did a quick phone screening and then set up a phone interview.

The 30- minute phone interview was fairly easy, mostly behavioral questions with a couple of technical questions. I was then contacted the next day and asked to come in for two on-site interviews, each an hour long. The two interviews were fairly straightforward, again mostly behavioral questions with some technical questions thrown in.

All of my interviews were done by system engineers / software engineers / team leads rather then H.R., so be somewhat prepared; you can't just fake your way through like you can with an HR drone, although that being said, I actually had a wider spectrum of conceptual technical knowledge than my second interviewer, and I had no experience in the field whatsoever, and it had been almost a year since I graduated, so make of that what you will.

In general, be familiar with general technical concepts, system design, and networking concepts. I wasn't asked to go into great detail on anything, and the format of the whole thing was very conversational.

Nothing difficult or unexpected, some of the technical questions are worded oddly or are very broad, so you might have to ask your interviewer specifically what he wants you to talk about.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate. Provided (in my opinion) very good salary for someone just out of college with no experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

I had an initial interview with someone from HR. Typical behavioral and get-to-know-you type questions. My second interview, the "technical" interview, was with a System Engineer. He did not ask as many technical questions as I thought.

From what I've gathered, I think they realize they're going to teach you everything you need to know. They just want to hire a certain type of person, so they use the interviews to see what kind of person you are, not how experienced you are.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too out of the ordinary. They'll ask about your past projects you've done outside of class.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in March 2014.

A recruiter e-mailed me the next day after appling online to schedule a phone interview with her to discuss my background and job position that I applied for. The phone call took approximately 30 minutes and consisted of a couple basic behavioral questions but nothing major.

Once that was completed, she then scheduled me to have a technical interview 2 days later. It contained some behavioral questions, but mostly it was all technical questions. I'd suggest you brush up a little about cloud computing, networking, and databases some before you do interview, because these system engineer managers know what they're talking about and will know what you don't. The call took a little over 30 minutes to complete.

A few days later, I got a call back from the Cerner recruiter who set me up for an on-site interview, or what they call "Experience Cerner Day." This consisted of attending a tour of the city and dinner the night before. The tour was pretty educational, because you get to see a side of the city that has a lot of character. The dinner was awesome and they gave you a chance to speak with other system engineers that went through the velocity program to ask them questions about it as well as other questions about their day-to-day work lives. It was very informal and I think it helped us understand the Cerner culture better.

The next day consisted of going on-site where we talked with the Velocity programming manager and he gave a one-hour presentation of what the velocity program was. After that we had our 2 1-hour interview with different system engineers. It was mostly made up of STAR questions, so as long as you can relate to the question and come up with one of your experiences, you won't have a problem.

After that, we had lunch, tour of the continuous campus, and then watched a video. It was definitely an interesting experience and I look forward to working for them.

Interview Questions
    • Just read up on how STAR questions work and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in December 2013.

2 phone interviews followed by 2 onsite interviews

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cerner in November 2013.

Started the process by applying online. After 2-3 days, I got an email from a recruiter saying that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. This was standard HR stuff, mainly asking about my resume. We then scheduled a time for another over the phone interview with a technician. Got an email two days later saying the interviews went well and they wanted to bring me out to Experience Cerner Days. The first day was just dinner and a tour of KC. The second was the interview day.

Started the day off by talking for a couple minutes, then someone came in and gave a short presentation. After that, we were taken off to separate rooms for two rounds of interviews.

The first interviewer was your stereotypical engineer. He had a packet of questions to ask. Stayed away from technical questions except "What is NAS and SAN." Other than that, I was asked typical "What would you do in so-and-so situation?"

The second interview was the same way. The interviewer had a packet of questions to ask. I felt more comfortable with this interviewer because she was very easy to talk to. We shared stories of our hatred of the Scheme programming language and experiences with it. This answered more of the questions she had to ask in the packet. The only technical question she asked me was "Suppose a client can't connect to the interview. How would you troubleshoot this?"

After the round of interviews, we were given a good lunch in-house, toured the campus, and watched a video of the data center. After that, we went home.

Interview Questions
    • A client can't connect to the internet. How would you troubleshoot this?   Answer Question

75% of people offered this type of position end up being Tech support or IT. I have done that for years and would rather not end up doing that. Plus, I can make more money going to my current job full time than with Cerner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cerner in October 2013.

Started with a phone interview telling me about the program and asking a few basic "tell me a time..." questions, a little over 20 minutes. Then I got scheduled for a technical phone interview. The interviewer asked very basic tech-related questions that most everyone knows. The questions are already on GD. I am heavily tech oriented but I felt the whole process didn't really care about that since you will most likely end up customer supporting their Cerner Millenium software which you learn there anyways.

Get a call back 5 days later saying the interview went well and do you want to go to KC for an in person interview? I said sure and gave my information to a 2nd HR person. I get a preliminary plane ticket but 2 plane seats weren't reserved so I ended up with sub optimal seats having to check in and receive seats at the airport. Anyways the first night out was a 45 minute group tour of Kansas City followed by a dinner where all candidates (local/distance) were seated 4 to a table + 1 Cerner employee who has/had the position you applied for. All this is off the record so you can ask him/her whatever you want.

Next day was a tour of their newest campus where you will most likely do the training period and stay after that. Presentations were done on what the company is, their growth, why its in such a good position, and of course the program details. Then 2 interviews were done, each 1 hour. Each was a 1:1 and the interviewer had some technical managerial role but not necessarily related to the Velocity Program. Questions were from packets, and a tremendous amount of "tell me a time when" questions were asked and responses jotted down. And the rest were about your work/school experiences.

Cerner tries to sell Kansas City just as much as they try to sell the company itself to you. You get tourist packets and basically an evening dedicated to convince you that KC is where you want to live. I thought I did really well on the interviews but apparently I didn't get selected. I think for some reason they thought I was too technical and wasn't going to be satisfied with the "customer support/configuration" position very long.

Velocity Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cerner in February 2013.

Dropped off my resume at the career fair at our University, got a phone call the next week. She was very nice and first told a little about herself and her position she has at Cerner and then asked my to tell about myself and my background. There were 2 type of questions. First situation-based questions like: "What would you do if there is an unexpected change in the project with a short notice? How would you deal with these type of situations". The other section was "technical questions". She finally asked me if I had any questions for her (which I did). She told me the interview was good and I will be getting an email from her next week.
    The questions she asked me were easy. I didn't find them hard. You will not encounter hard questions during the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain different ways to transfer a file from one computer to another.   Answer Question
    • Name some basic commands in Unix.   View Answer