Chandler Marketing Group

Very Easy Interview

Entry Level PR Associate Interview

Entry Level PR Associate
Virginia Beach, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Chandler Marketing Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – The company posted an extremely vague Craigslist ad, but I emailed my resume nonetheless. Within half an hour, I got a response. Finding that very odd, I waited, but eventually called for an interview.

The interview was probably 15 minutes at the most, and the interviewer was equally (if not more) vague, telling me I'd work with Home Depot's Richmond office. He asked about my PR experience, but not once did he say what I'd do, but I figured it was something sales-oriented, i.e. standing in Home Depot trying to sell something to customers. He said if he found me to be a good fit, he'd call back that afternoon.

Never heard back. Not losing sleep, but I do have an issue with someone hiring for a PR job that is nowhere close to what a PR rep would do. Shady.

Interview Question – What is your PR experience?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Direct Sales Marketing Representative Interview

Direct Sales Marketing Representative
Virginia Beach, VA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Chandler Marketing Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – The first interview was with the owner/manager in a professional looking office environment. It was very a very brief "tell me about yourself" interview. The second was with an employee with some experience in the company and was in a group setting (it was two of us). We had some brief, simple questions asked to us and our resumes glanced over. We were taken to Home Depot and given a basic tour of what we would be doing. It consisted of direct sales involving speaking to a high volume of Home Depot customers from Monday to Friday (11AM to 7PM) and four to five hours on Saturday, and attempting to sell them cabinet refacing services. It was explained that to be successful, the rep should constantly get around 15 sales each week and travel to a different Home Depot in the tidewater are each day. After that, the company structure was explained and it appeared very much like a pyramid structure. The advancement through the four levels seemed to be more accelerated than what common sense would dictate. There are four levels to the company; Level 1 consists of direct sales at Home Depot solely, Level 2 was "Account Executive" where in addition to the direct sales, one must build a sales team (the employee would spend around 6 months doing this). Level 3 was when the employee would receive the title "Assistant Manager" and receive a salary instead of working for strictly commission and would be exposed to the office managerial aspects of the business including HR and associated costs. It was explained that the employee would only be doing this for approximately 2 months. Finally was Manager / Owner, where the employee would be given the freedom to pretty much manage the entire business "from their yacht" or "the golf course", and make approximately $120K per year.

Interview Question – Given the words, "Fun, Money, Advancement" place them in order.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – It sounded like a scam and the pay starting out was slightly above minimum wage.

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Chandler Marketing Group.

Interview Details – Fast, almost shady. Only took 3 minutes, the most basic questions.

Negotiation Details – Either you set up appointments at Home Depot for cabinet refacing or you get minimum wage. If you get minimum wage too often, you are fired.

Worked for Chandler Marketing Group? Contribute to the Community!