ChannelAdvisor Interview Questions & Reviews

7 interviews

Sales Director for Upcoming Seattle Office Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at ChannelAdvisor in April 2014.

ChannelAdvisors ripped me off for $500! They tried to rip me off for $1000! Stay Away!

I did two phone interviews, then I was invited to fly down for a final round of interviews. First red flag was that I was asked to buy my own plane tickets, for which they assured me I would be reimbursed at the end of the month. As it turned out, I fell sick the day of my interviews and THEY REQUESTED that we reschedule. So I agreed, but it took them 2 months to schedule the next meeting. During this time they informed me that they wouldn't reimburse my plane tickets UNTIL AFTER I CAME FOR AN INTERVIEW. Who does this? I had bought expensive ($1000), non-reimbursable plane tickets at the last moment, because that is when I was told to buy them. I could've bought even more expensive reimbursable plane tickets, but I didn't think that would be necessary - my big mistake. Ultimately I decided I didn't want to work for a company that treated new hire candidates this way - imagine how they would treat me as an actual employee!

Interview Questions
    • ChannelAdvisors refused to reimburse me for the plane ticket when i asked them to, finally they agreed to pay for half of it, but only after their HR admin had a nervous breakdown on the phone with me and accused me of "threatening her". So now I've got a useless travel voucher I'll never use and I'm $500 in the hole for agreeing to meet with this company.

All in all the experience was PSYCHO with this company, borderline illegal, and they clearly showed their stripes in terms of how much they value potential candidates and by extension, employees.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ChannelAdvisor.

I was initially contacted and interviewed by HR. Then about 2 weeks later I was interviewed by 4 employees for about 2 hours. About half of the interview was what I expected; talking about past experiences, how I solved problems, and significant accomplishments. The other half was not really what I expected and was a series of questions asking me to regurgitate textbook definitions about software development. To me this indicated the lack of interviewing experience/intelligence of the individuals conducting the interview. Everything I read about the organization indicated that they were a talented group of software developers so I was really expecting more conceptual based questions. If had known I was going to be asked to provide textbook definitions I would have spent the previous week memorizing them, which would only serve to prove that I can memorize things. Not too impressed even if there had been an offer I wold not have taken it.

Launch Manager Interview

Standard questions, very enthusiastic about the company. Good follow up.

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at ChannelAdvisor.

Unfortunately, I had two bad experiences with CA. I was first contacted by HR though LinkedIn. Sent resume'. Phone call with HR went well. Then in-person interview...but the hiring manager wasn't there so I was basically handed off to some poor guy who had no interest in my resume or skills and just walked me around the office to show me around (and probably stalling so the real hiring manager could show up, which he did not). I was then "interviewed" by three "team members." They really didn't know how to interview (and shouldn't have...it's not their job), so they were just complimentary and nice to me (BTW, none of them are still there). Several weeks go by, with no word, then the form email "it was a tough decision, but...blah, blah." I contact HR to let her know that it was unacceptable, the way I was treated and that I should have had my interview rescheduled due to the hiring manager's absence. She totally agreed but someone was already hired (who I found out had actually worked with one of the managers at a different company...so, I was basically an also-ran from the get-go, as she was their preferred candidate from the start).

A few weeks go by and the same HR contacts me for another interview and a different position, this time in email marketing (an odd position for that company). She sets up a call with that hiring manager (no longer at the company), who spends most of our "phone interview" telling me about all the business trips he has planned in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Melbourne, etc. BUT, he thinks I'd be a great fit and really wants me to come in for an in-person...which (*gasp*) never happened. A few more emails to HR, who basically lets me know that, yes, I've been screwed again, and someone was hired before I could actually come in to interview!

A few more weeks go by. Another email by the same HR (also no longer at the company), saying they have another position available and they'd like me to come in again. (Seriously? Are you kidding me?)
    I sent her a nice but terse letter saying I had no interest in ever talking to them again.

Screwed not once, but twice with Channel Advisor, and possibly could have been screwed over thrice! The whole thing was an exercise in futility. Then again, none of the offenders in this tragedy are actually still at the company...if that tells you anything.

Interview Questions
    • The poor underlings that were forced to "interview" me had very basic questions, most were behavioral...strengths/weaknesses-type.   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at ChannelAdvisor in January 2013.

Submitted resume online. Corp recruiter responded within a few days with an email. Scheduled initial phone screen, that went well. Next step was 30 minute phone interview with Sales VP, that went very wrll. Then invited to interview onsite with Sales VP again, 2 sales mgrs and 2 snr sales rep, all went well, offer was extended a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • none of the questions caught me off guard, was a behavioral interview   Answer Question
    was able to negotiate salary and commission

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morrisville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

The process took a day - interviewed at ChannelAdvisor in May 2011.

Ask working experience and go through the resume. Then ask for a particular project I ve done and let me show how did I design, implement, and test the program. Then ask me some questions during my speech. Spend some time on introducing their company.

Interview Questions
    • Introduce some your experience about software   View Answer

IT Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ChannelAdvisor in November 2009.

Telephone Interviews:

HR interview delved lightly into technological background and concentrated on cultural, managerial (people) and operational aspects. The HR part of the interview was more than usually knowledgeable about the technological aspects of the company and understood quite well what I was saying and how it could dovetail with the needs of the company.

The executive management telephone interview was very fluent with much energy. The executive gave a very good overview of the company and a detailed description of what he was looking for. Questions asked delved into my employment history, challenges, how I have addressed different issues, what my goals were, and a few questions to get a feel for my adaptability, flexibility and technological know-how.

Face to face:

These were a combination of one on ones and team interviews. The one on ones tended to ask about my background, how I've handled different situations, what my managerial and technical capabilities are, and also outlined from the interviewers point of view, the needs and challenges of the position and company. My organizational ability/capabilities were also assessed.

The team interviews were technology oriented. Questions were asked about my technological background, technology scenarios were outlined and my input was solicited about improvement suggestions or problem resolution.

Advice:

These are very sharp and energetic people. If you like what you do and you are very competent, you will absolutely love this interview process, or at least I did. The interviews were a mix of background, real and hypothetical situation questions. AND THE QUESTIONS MADE SENSE, meaning that the questions were very applicable for determining personality, cultural fit, competence, etc. These are realist and professionals who enjoy what they do, and strive to own the future. The people are very upfront, matter-of-fact and it is really apparent - really enjoy what they are doing. I was also impressed with their competence and ability to look at multiple sides of the equation.

The office was pleasant with an open concept. I think that soon it will start to be somewhat cramped for space.

Interview Questions
    • What do you perceive as the benefits/drawbacks of a release management system which is "load once, update all" (my words)?   View Answer
    • What do you think of virtualization of the middle tier and can it be made to work in a heavy transaction system?   View Answer

Worked for ChannelAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!