Chapters Indigo Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.7

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Applied Online. Got a call a few days later. Went in for a group Interview. This is the most fun you'll have at any 'interview.' It felt more like an orientation into what it would be like to work for Chapters! We did a scenario, a team exercise, some tasking and organization, and had some questions asked to us as a group. The managers and hiring staff were friendly, witty, and fun to be around! They said they'd call within 3 days and actually did the next day with information on orientation and such.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult person you've had to work with?   View Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Saw a job posting, applied through the website, went in a week later asking about the position and was told that they were overstaffed due to the transfer of staff from a nearby store that closed, and weren't hiring.

CER Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Chapters Indigo in August 2014.

I filled up an online questionaire which had few questions more theoretical.It gave me an idea of how the system works and I was able to orient myself for the actual interview. I realized that reading as a hobby played a key role for the position I applied for.

Customer Experience Representative (CER), Tasking Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Applied for the position online and received a call 2 days later asking me to come in for an interview. Manager was very nice and made me feel relaxed. The majority of the questions asked were "give an example of a time when..." We discussed the nature of the position I applied for, as well as the structure of the store, number of employees and managers. We scheduled a second meeting with the store manager right there and then for 4 days later. The store manager was also very welcoming, she asked me similar questions, but much fewer, and discussed what I knew about the company and what they stand for (very customer focused). We then went onto the shop floor where I was asked to do a few exercises. I walked through an area of the store and commented on what I saw, including how I viewed the store as a customer, how I viewed it more critically, what I liked, and what I didn't. She welcomed my honest opinion.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to walk through a section of the store and describe the message that was being sent to the customer. Also asked to explain what I liked and what I would improve.   View Answer
    There was not much of a negotiation phase. I was informed of the salary and expected hours during the interview process and I had no issues with it. I informed the manager during the second interview of an already planned vacation I had and she didn't have a problem with it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

There were nearly 20 people at the group interview, we were split up into two groups. We did a teamwork activity, a role play scenario, and an interview question segment. For the teamwork, they just want to see if you work well together, if you can cooperate and find a good method to win their game. The role-playing made some nervous, but just be open, professional, as helpful as you can be. As for the interview, it was fairly easy. They seem to like people who are willing to speak up, or have an interesting/fun story to tell. This is the best hiring event I've been to. The managers were friendly, fun, and seemed non-judgmental. A few days later I had a meeting with the GM. It was less of an interview, more like an introduction into the position. I then sent in my references and once they were checked, I got hired.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you struggled with deadlines.   View Answer

Customer Experience Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chapters Indigo in February 2014.

Answered the job posting on their website. Received a call within 4 days. Went for interview 3 days after call. First Interview was with the General Manager of the store and it lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. Some of the questions were with regards to handling a staff member that might not be doing their job as expected..how would you motivate them to do better. Also talking about how your past job experiences can be transferred to this job that you are applying for. They asked what my desired salary would be. But there were a lot of situational questions. There were also questions about Chapters itself. I recommend studying their mission statement as well as the history of the store and how Heather came to be the owner etc etc. So even if you do not know the question that they might as you, you can follow with…but I do know that etc etc. After this interview I met with the District Manager for my second Interview a couple days later and that was very similar. I met with him on a Friday and I received the call on a Monday that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    I was happy with my offer and did not need to negotiate at all. They asked my salary and they offered me what I asked for. I was reasonable in what I asked for as I know that I can prove my value year after year on my performance reviews.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

It was a one on one interview, every question that was asked was a "Describe a situation where you ___" type, so I would suggest to prepare by reflecting on personal experiences so you have something to answer with

Interview Questions
    • Lots of reflection question asking to describe an event that happened to you   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Chapters Indigo in January 2014.

Group Interview: Pick a product and sell it to the rest of the group.
    Then, questions about strengths, experience in sales, and customer service
    The manager was very nice, and there were three other candidates in the room. We just sat in the staff room, so it was a very comfortable environment. On the phone, the manager said it would be a 15 minute interview but it ended up being over an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Chapters Indigo in November 2013.

The hiring and interview process was a little odd. I applied online at a number of locations and dropped off resumes at others. In the end I got a call from one of the stores where I had applied in person and got automated rejections from the ones I applied to online (this was disconcerting since I knew all the stores were hiring for Christmas and because they keep pushing people to apply online).

I was told to come in for a "group interview" which I gather is a new interview technique used especially for sales jobs where the focus is on being social and outgoing. Unfortunately these types of interviews are extremely biased towards more confident/extroverted/outspoken individuals, basically the loudest voice wins. This proved true in the interview process where anyone who was more withdrawn or who didn't have strong English faded into the background and was not encouraged to participate. Interview questions were thrown out to the group anyone who wanted to answer could, but anyone who didn't answer fast enough was passed over. As a more introverted person (as most avid readers are) I really had to push myself to speak up and I felt that being a little older and more experienced with interviews really helped.

The questions themselves were fairly standard "why do you want to work here" "what do you know about the company" etc. It's important to know that they are trying to branch out from being a book store to being a high-end (read: overpriced) gift store and are trying to motivate employees to sell through "an emotional connection" to the brand and products. So lots of gushing about Indigo products will stand you in good stead. Clearly this focus on "emotional connection" to the products is necessary seeing as the salary is minimum wage.

After being offered the job you go in for a presentation where they talk about the company/goals. After this there is training with different staff and also online. You meet a number of people working there through the process which is good because you get a sense for how other workers are feeling in that particular location.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for everyone was "which part of the store do you want to work in?" Everyone answered "Um... books?" because it's supposed to be a book store. If you answer with "lifestyle products" or "the children's section" you have a better chance of getting the job, but be careful about saying this unless you mean it. You will not be encouraged to change from this position if you don't like it later so unless you want to sell kids toys or scarves, wine glasses and nail polish don't say you want to work in a particular section. Also if you do want to work in the book section it's a good idea just to walk around before the interview and know the names of the different sections within books: reference, travel, local, general fiction, romance, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, part-time minimum wage with no incentives, they expect you to have an extremely open schedule (think mornings, evenings and at least one weekend day) which doesn't allow you to supplement the low wage with a second job. This was ultimately unlivable and I would only recommend this job to high school students not paying rent.

Seasonal CER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chapters Indigo in October 2013.

I applied online and was notified for an interview a few days later. I went to my interview on Wednesday October 23rd, and was sent an email on October 25th, saying that I got the job. The contract was sent the next day (October 26) and I accepted the offer.

I arrived about an hour early, because I'd never been to that location before and looked around at the layout of the store and the inventory. I also watched the employees to see what their job required. About 15 minutes before the interview time, I told one of the employees that I had an interview and she told me to wait for the manager. I waited and no one came. After 20 minutes, I talked to another employee and they went to get the manager. He came and right away he was very nice and apologetic. I used that to my advantage and told a joke to lighten the situation.

Once we sat down he told me to tell him about myself. I talked about things I'm passionate about, which also connected back to the company. He asked me a series of questions like, "why do you want to work for us/why this position?" "Tell me about a time when you went above the expectations of your duties?"

One thing that I know gave me an advantage was the fact that the interview was very conversational. He joked around a lot and I did as well. I laughed a lot, which made me feel more comfortable and less formal/nervous. When the manager asked me questions I tried to make it engaging so that he would have input as well. When he finished asking questions I had a few questions of my own. I asked him "Why did you start working with the company/what keeps you here?" His answer gave me a great opportunity to jump in and we talked back and forth about our love for books and the great environment at Chapters.

I also asked: "What is the seasonal period like/what is the best way to handle customers around this time?" "What do you expect from your employees?" "When will you be making your decision about the position?"

At the end of the interview I gave him my references and filled out an availability form. He told me that he liked me and he would email me about a second interview. When the email came, it was the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Pick one thing in the store and sell it to me.   View Answer
    No negotiation