Chapters Indigo Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.5

CER Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo in August 2015.

Interview

Initial application done on line, it's a bit along but easy to do. The actual interview was a group interview which made it a lot less intimidating. Took over an hour but seemed a lot shorter.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo in August 2015.

Interview

I was called about a week after applying online and completed a quick phone interview. They asked me what kind of books I liked to read, what kind of hours I wanted, when was the last time I was in the store, etc. The interview lasted about 5 minutes. I was then asked to come in for an interview the following Monday (I did the phone interview on Friday). It was a group interview where everyone was asked the same questions, and then we played a game that was supposed to demonstrate teamwork and problem solving. The whole interview lasted about 40 minutes. A few days later I was called in for a second interview, this time one on one. I was asked a few questions and then was told I would know by Friday (I think I was interviewed for the second time on Thursday). This interview lasted about 10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a bad day, the factors involved, and how you overcame it. Tell me about a time you dealt with an unreasonable customer. What is good customer service? What was the last book you read?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

Group interview consisting of three stages: 1) three general workplace questions 2) three situational questions 3) team building exercise (building tallest tower possible). There were nine candidate seats laid out, but only seven people showed. Questions were asked by a hiring manager, while another person took notes.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with an unreasonable customer request and describe how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo in June 2015.

Interview

They asked us to show up roughly 10 minutes before the scheduled interview time, but had us wait outside the store for an additional 10 minutes. The group was laughably large. Over 40 interviewees at one time going for the same positions. They broke us up into 3 groups to complete various stations: role playing station, group Q & A station, and a team building station. This had to be the most ridiculous interview process I have ever witnessed. In the group Q & A station, they would ask the usual interview type questions, "Name a difficult time at another job, and how did you solve it?". The problem was they were so strapped for time and wanting to switch between stations that not everyone had the opportunity to answer. And if you DON'T answer one of these questions, you see them making little marks on their clipboard about you. The role playing station was by far the most difficult to comprehend. The layout is one actual store employee takes on the role of a customer, and proceeds to offer a scenario where they (the customer) is looking for a specific book, item, gift idea, etc. So imagine you are facing this "customer", and surrounding you are 15 other individuals all paying very close attention, and the only "exit" is blocked off by two managers with clipboards making notes on your every move. I've never seen this type of scenario play out in any Chapters store within their daily routine. One candidate got so nervous, she couldn't think of what to say or do, so she excused herself back into the circle and started tearing up. This is so far away from their original one on one interview process which actually hired those happy and helpful CER's that have been working in the store for so long. If the system isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you weren't able to solve a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a difficult situation from your past. Did you resolve it? How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative - Tasking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (London, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to an interview. Unfortunately I was away at school at the time so I emailed the manager and she allowed me to come in after I moved back home. I went to the interview and it was 1 on 1 unlike their usual ones. She asked me three questions and that was it because there weren't other candidates to do the team work exercises with. I then asked her a few of my own questions and left. I was called back a little over a week later and was told that they couldn't hire me due to the fact that they didn't have enough hours but she told me to apply again for the holiday season and that if anyone quit I would be hired.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you couldn't meet a customers needs. Describe a situation where you were having a bad day and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their online application, took a while. I was than contacted about a week later in which I had a brief phone interview with questions such as (When did you recently shop here? What is your availability? Name a time when you displayed exceptional customer service?) somewhat typical questions and more based on experience. I was than scheduled for a group interview, their were about 8-10 other people in which they asked us about five questions, can't remember exactly what they were than did a ice breaker activity. The interview lasted about an hour because of the amount of people, it was a really relaxing and fun interview. Just make sure to be as confident and social as possible, as well try to find the opportunity to have a conversation with the interviewers afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite genre? Why do want to work for Chapters?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Interview

I applied online. Got a call from the manager 2 days later inviting me for a group interview scheduled 2 weeks on. Most interesting interview I've ever been to. There were 20 of us, they divided us into 2 groups. We did some role playing; took turns to act as customer and CER. Basic stuff: an angry customer walks in, how do you deal with them? and a customer's coworker is leaving her job, recommend a farewell gift. The methodology to use here is to do with creating emotional appeal; for example if you're roleplaying as a CER, you need to be able to recommend a product by coming up with a background story to get the customer thinking about it. Fairly easy and a lot of fun. The next portion, was a run of the mill group interview. Went around the group and asked each of us to tell us about ourselves and how did we react to an adverse situation at work. Finally, we were assigned a group activity to test our team work. We stood in a circle with some random number strewn across the floor. The interviewer would call out the numbers in order and the person standing closest to that particular was supposed to touch it. No two people could step inside the circle at one time or else there was a 10 second penalty.The activity was timed, so we had to work it amongst ourselves as to who would be touching which number. After 2 hours, we were told that we'd be contacted via phone regardless of whether we got accepted.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Interview

I attended a group interview with a couple other candidates. The manager was very friendly and the atmosphere wasn't tense. We were asked about ourselves, fairly average questions. We then were given the task of helping a "customer" find a gift for a specific type of person. I enjoyed the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Likely the task we were assigned. It wasn't difficult, but certainly unexpected.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

I got a call two weeks after applying online for the position. They asked a few questions about availability, type of books I read, past experience relate-able to the position applied for, all on the phone before inviting me to a group interview the next day. The group interview ran a little late, making the seven of us wait a bit in the way of shopping customers. I'm assuming the managers were running late which wasn't a very well organized first impression, but it was possible they simply wanted to see how we worked together. Either way, we were finally brought into a tiny little office that barely fit seven chairs, let alone three more for the managers but we squeezed. We introduced ourselves, then the first manager started by asking us "Tell me about a time that you had to handle an unreasonable customer." It was quiet at first, being that no one had an idea of the atmosphere of the group interview but eventually a girl started. I had to step on toes to answer second but I butted in with a sincere apology. Eventually everyone answered and another question came "What was your best experience with a customer?" There were a couple more similar questions, and they also asked about the last book you had read. After thirty-five min, they finally let us know that they would be contacting us at the beginning of the next week with their decisions. As for the interview, I was very disappointed with the number of questions. They weren't seeking quality candidates - knowledge of the store, knowledge of books, etc. - they were seeking people who had charisma. I really agree with them seeking an outgoing person, but there is a different between someone just talking and someone with something to talk about. This interview process was very much biased towards the "someone just talking". I am an outgoing person, and I've worked many jobs proving that, but it is different when you are competing to be outgoing in a room filled with six more competing to be outgoing as well. I was disappointed with the single question about books (what was the last book you read). My last book read doesn't define my knowledge of books, nor my knowledge of them. Based on my answer, it still would have been more attractive then the girl they ended up hiring that answered "Twilight and The Best of Me". No offense to those who have read them, but they wouldn't have been read by these girls if it weren't for popularity or movies. As for the hiring process, it was very unorganized and unprofessional. I did not get a call regarding whether I was hired or not. I visited the store at the end of the week to see the two girls that were hired.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult question, in fact there were very little questions. But the most difficult was probably "What would you suggest to someone who is looking for a Home Welcoming present?"   1 Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chapters Indigo (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, I got an email with a link to schedule an interview time, I went to a group interview that had three other people. (They were interviewing lots of people as they were hiring about 15 people as seasonal employees). We introduced ourselves and had to say why we wanted to work at chapters and how we saw ourselves in the store. They asked for examples of how we had dealt with certain situations in the past. The manager role played being a customer with a different issue for each of us and we had to deal with it in the way we thought best assuming we had the power to do so. We then did a team building exercise that required planning an team work, which we got to repeat to see if we could improve how quickly we finished the task. (It's hard to explain without seeing it but we had to touch numbered pieces of paper scattered on the floor in sequence with only one person's feet allowed to enter the area at a time.) I got a call the next day from the manager when he offered me a position and emailed me the letter of offer.