Chapters Indigo

Relevance Date Difficulty

CER Interview

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Interview Details – There were nearly 20 people at the group interview, we were split up into two groups. We did a teamwork activity, a role play scenario, and an interview question segment. For the teamwork, they just want to see if you work well together, if you can cooperate and find a good method to win their game. The role-playing made some nervous, but just be open, professional, as helpful as you can be. As for the interview, it was fairly easy. They seem to like people who are willing to speak up, or have an interesting/fun story to tell. This is the best hiring event I've been to. The managers were friendly, fun, and seemed non-judgmental. A few days later I had a meeting with the GM. It was less of an interview, more like an introduction into the position. I then sent in my references and once they were checked, I got hired.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you struggled with deadlines.   View Answer

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Customer Experience Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Chapters Indigo in February 2014.

Interview Details – Answered the job posting on their website. Received a call within 4 days. Went for interview 3 days after call. First Interview was with the General Manager of the store and it lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. Some of the questions were with regards to handling a staff member that might not be doing their job as expected..how would you motivate them to do better. Also talking about how your past job experiences can be transferred to this job that you are applying for. They asked what my desired salary would be. But there were a lot of situational questions. There were also questions about Chapters itself. I recommend studying their mission statement as well as the history of the store and how Heather came to be the owner etc etc. So even if you do not know the question that they might as you, you can follow with…but I do know that etc etc. After this interview I met with the District Manager for my second Interview a couple days later and that was very similar. I met with him on a Friday and I received the call on a Monday that I got the job.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was happy with my offer and did not need to negotiate at all. They asked my salary and they offered me what I asked for. I was reasonable in what I asked for as I know that I can prove my value year after year on my performance reviews.

CER Interview

CER
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Chapters Indigo in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was a little odd. I applied online at a number of locations and dropped off resumes at others. In the end I got a call from one of the stores where I had applied in person and got automated rejections from the ones I applied to online (this was disconcerting since I knew all the stores were hiring for Christmas and because they keep pushing people to apply online).

I was told to come in for a "group interview" which I gather is a new interview technique used especially for sales jobs where the focus is on being social and outgoing. Unfortunately these types of interviews are extremely biased towards more confident/extroverted/outspoken individuals, basically the loudest voice wins. This proved true in the interview process where anyone who was more withdrawn or who didn't have strong English faded into the background and was not encouraged to participate. Interview questions were thrown out to the group anyone who wanted to answer could, but anyone who didn't answer fast enough was passed over. As a more introverted person (as most avid readers are) I really had to push myself to speak up and I felt that being a little older and more experienced with interviews really helped.

The questions themselves were fairly standard "why do you want to work here" "what do you know about the company" etc. It's important to know that they are trying to branch out from being a book store to being a high-end (read: overpriced) gift store and are trying to motivate employees to sell through "an emotional connection" to the brand and products. So lots of gushing about Indigo products will stand you in good stead. Clearly this focus on "emotional connection" to the products is necessary seeing as the salary is minimum wage.

After being offered the job you go in for a presentation where they talk about the company/goals. After this there is training with different staff and also online. You meet a number of people working there through the process which is good because you get a sense for how other workers are feeling in that particular location.

Interview Question – The most difficult question for everyone was "which part of the store do you want to work in?" Everyone answered "Um... books?" because it's supposed to be a book store. If you answer with "lifestyle products" or "the children's section" you have a better chance of getting the job, but be careful about saying this unless you mean it. You will not be encouraged to change from this position if you don't like it later so unless you want to sell kids toys or scarves, wine glasses and nail polish don't say you want to work in a particular section. Also if you do want to work in the book section it's a good idea just to walk around before the interview and know the names of the different sections within books: reference, travel, local, general fiction, romance, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, part-time minimum wage with no incentives, they expect you to have an extremely open schedule (think mornings, evenings and at least one weekend day) which doesn't allow you to supplement the low wage with a second job. This was ultimately unlivable and I would only recommend this job to high school students not paying rent.

Customer Experience Representative

I applied online - interviewed at Chapters Indigo in January 2014.

Interview Details – Group Interview: Pick a product and sell it to the rest of the group.
Then, questions about strengths, experience in sales, and customer service
The manager was very nice, and there were three other candidates in the room. We just sat in the staff room, so it was a very comfortable environment. On the phone, the manager said it would be a 15 minute interview but it ended up being over an hour.

Interview Question – How would working at Chapters change you?   Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Interview Details – It was a one on one interview, every question that was asked was a "Describe a situation where you ___" type, so I would suggest to prepare by reflecting on personal experiences so you have something to answer with

Interview Question – Lots of reflection question asking to describe an event that happened to you   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative

I applied online - interviewed at Chapters Indigo in September 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online using thier careers website. I had to complete a personality questionnaire which took approximately 20 minutes, as well as upload my resume. I was contacted via phone for a group interview with 5 other candidates. I was then brought in for an individual interview with the store manager.

Interview Question – Describe how you would provide Joy in a customer's day.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negitiation

Seasonal CER Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Chapters Indigo in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was notified for an interview a few days later. I went to my interview on Wednesday October 23rd, and was sent an email on October 25th, saying that I got the job. The contract was sent the next day (October 26) and I accepted the offer.

I arrived about an hour early, because I'd never been to that location before and looked around at the layout of the store and the inventory. I also watched the employees to see what their job required. About 15 minutes before the interview time, I told one of the employees that I had an interview and she told me to wait for the manager. I waited and no one came. After 20 minutes, I talked to another employee and they went to get the manager. He came and right away he was very nice and apologetic. I used that to my advantage and told a joke to lighten the situation.

Once we sat down he told me to tell him about myself. I talked about things I'm passionate about, which also connected back to the company. He asked me a series of questions like, "why do you want to work for us/why this position?" "Tell me about a time when you went above the expectations of your duties?"

One thing that I know gave me an advantage was the fact that the interview was very conversational. He joked around a lot and I did as well. I laughed a lot, which made me feel more comfortable and less formal/nervous. When the manager asked me questions I tried to make it engaging so that he would have input as well. When he finished asking questions I had a few questions of my own. I asked him "Why did you start working with the company/what keeps you here?" His answer gave me a great opportunity to jump in and we talked back and forth about our love for books and the great environment at Chapters.

I also asked: "What is the seasonal period like/what is the best way to handle customers around this time?" "What do you expect from your employees?" "When will you be making your decision about the position?"

At the end of the interview I gave him my references and filled out an availability form. He told me that he liked me and he would email me about a second interview. When the email came, it was the job offer.

Interview Question – Pick one thing in the store and sell it to me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Cashier Interview

Cashier
London, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Chapters Indigo in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for cash position, came in store 4 days later to drop off cover letter & resume. I got a email 3 days later from hiring manager asking me to apply online again so they can interview me. I did & booked an interview (entire process is online). I was asked in email to come ten minutes early - I did. I walked in the store, introduced myself to a floor associate, told him i have an interview. He told me to browse a certain section and wait for the manager. I'm sure associates were watching me to see how I acted (I just browsed books). She found me, took me in for the interview. She began by telling me the perks of the job, then began asking questions. She had a package to write down my answers. She said 500 people applied and she brought in 40ish for an interview. I am a highschool student with no experience - the reason I got a interview according to her was cause my cover letter was very good. Normally, associates do not accept resumes/coverletters in store, but that associate was really nice and gave the manager mine. She asked me the following questions: "tell me about yourself?", "tell me about stuff you do outside of school/work such as volunteering and sports?", "if you were the only floor associate, and there was an enormous amount of customers - what would you do?", "are you good for independent work, or team work as well?", "give me an example of when you helped someone even if they didn't ask", "give me an example when you had a difficult experience with someone and how you solved it". She may have asked me 1/ 2 more, but I can't remember. She asked me if I had any questions. I asked her how I performed in the interview, cause I was treating it as a learning experience. She said: you answered the questions extremely well etc. Throughout the interview, I could tell she really wanted to hire me, but she said she needed someone to work during the hours I would be at school. At the end she asked me which 2 of my 3 references I would prefer she contacted. I told her she could contact any. Be prepared to have 3 so that she can ask that question - if he/she doesn't, you may not be getting the second interview (she had to contact two; protocol). She said she would have another opening for me next month where she would give me a interview with the store manager, one more suited for my hours. I left feeling good, but not sure if i got the job. The next day I got an email telling me the store manager would contact me within the next few days for a 2nd interview. She ended up calling me (she was supposed to email me, but she got my email wrong). She called me on saturday, and booked the interview short-notice for sunday. I went to the interview. Same process as before, I browsed around the store, many associates smiled and said good luck (I think they liked me). She approached me a little late. I barely sat down and she said, "so why chapters?". Then she asked me what I would do if I was at cash alone, and a customer needed help at the back of the store. Then she asked me 2 more questions, in store situations. 1 of them was, if you were working cash and there was no one in line and you had nothing to do, what would you do? After 4 questions she said she was done, she said the 2nd interview was much shorter/easier. She asked me if I had any questions. Her questions took about two minutes and then the rest of the time (18 minutes or so) I had to ask questions. This was rather stressful to be honest, but i think i did okay. I must've asked atleast 6 questions off the top of my head - I didn't have too much preparation for this. I ended by thanking her for the opportunity and for considering me among all the people that applied. I asked her for her business card, she led me to the back office, (was like, "welcome to our messy office!") gave her business card, i told her have a great day and left. She told me she’ll contact me next week if I got the job (i asked), but i emailed her a thank you letter next day. It was much harder to tell if I got the job in the second interview than the first. The manager told me that the hiring manager would be the one making the decision - so I had a good chance (she seemed to like me). She emailed me a week and half later (I thought I didn’t get the job) telling me she was contacting references, then called me and gave me the job 5 days later!! For what its worth, I am a 16 (turning 17), male, pakistani descent w/brown skin - but difficult to tell. I had my hair gelled back with a comb, kind of up and to the left. I was wearing slim fit dress pants, oxfords, a belt, a shiny watch and a dress shirt to each interview. No tie, or anything excessive. Different dress shirts. This will probably be extremely helpful - and if it was, then please pay it forward by writing a thorough review yourself - it'll help everyone else just as much as this helped you.

Interview Question – Everything is included above, some of them were difficult, just make sure you prepare.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. She told me pay and stuff like that in the intial interview. Its $10.25 an hour, my job becomes permanent after 3 months, and i get a raise in 6.

I applied online and interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a response from the HR team to come into the store for an interview. I had gotten an interview at two different Chapters store. The questions were very different for each store. One was more of a typical interview while the other asked only behavioural questions such as tell me time when..., etc.

Interview Question – Be prepared for those behavioral questions? Ex: Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for someone, Tell me about a time when you missed an obvious solution to a problem,etc.
What is good customer service?
What motivates you?
  Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Interview Details – I was referred by another employee who already worked for the company and had a 1:1 interview with the manager the same day I was referred. The interview lasted just under an hour. The whole interview for me was relaxed like having a conversation.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some behavioral questions, for example: Describe a stressful situation at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question
  • What have you learned from mistakes on the job?   Answer Question
  • What qualities do you look for in a boss?   Answer Question
  • Have you ever been asked to leave a position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – My interview didn't have a negotiation phase.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Chapters Indigo

Worked for Chapters Indigo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chapters Indigo interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Chapters Indigo employees and interview candidates.