Chapters Indigo

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

I attended a group interview with a couple other candidates. The manager was very friendly and the atmosphere wasn't tense. We were asked about ourselves, fairly average questions. We then were given the task of helping a "customer" find a gift for a specific type of person. I enjoyed the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • Likely the task we were assigned. It wasn't difficult, but certainly unexpected.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Chapters Indigo in November 2014.

I got a call two weeks after applying online for the position. They asked a few questions about availability, type of books I read, past experience relate-able to the position applied for, all on the phone before inviting me to a group interview the next day.
    The group interview ran a little late, making the seven of us wait a bit in the way of shopping customers. I'm assuming the managers were running late which wasn't a very well organized first impression, but it was possible they simply wanted to see how we worked together.
    Either way, we were finally brought into a tiny little office that barely fit seven chairs, let alone three more for the managers but we squeezed. We introduced ourselves, then the first manager started by asking us "Tell me about a time that you had to handle an unreasonable customer." It was quiet at first, being that no one had an idea of the atmosphere of the group interview but eventually a girl started. I had to step on toes to answer second but I butted in with a sincere apology. Eventually everyone answered and another question came "What was your best experience with a customer?"
    There were a couple more similar questions, and they also asked about the last book you had read.
    After thirty-five min, they finally let us know that they would be contacting us at the beginning of the next week with their decisions.

As for the interview, I was very disappointed with the number of questions. They weren't seeking quality candidates - knowledge of the store, knowledge of books, etc. - they were seeking people who had charisma. I really agree with them seeking an outgoing person, but there is a different between someone just talking and someone with something to talk about. This interview process was very much biased towards the "someone just talking". I am an outgoing person, and I've worked many jobs proving that, but it is different when you are competing to be outgoing in a room filled with six more competing to be outgoing as well.
    I was disappointed with the single question about books (what was the last book you read). My last book read doesn't define my knowledge of books, nor my knowledge of them. Based on my answer, it still would have been more attractive then the girl they ended up hiring that answered "Twilight and The Best of Me". No offense to those who have read them, but they wouldn't have been read by these girls if it weren't for popularity or movies.

As for the hiring process, it was very unorganized and unprofessional. I did not get a call regarding whether I was hired or not. I visited the store at the end of the week to see the two girls that were hired.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult question, in fact there were very little questions.
      But the most difficult was probably "What would you suggest to someone who is looking for a Home Welcoming present?"

View Answer

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chapters Indigo in November 2014.

Applied online, I got an email with a link to schedule an interview time, I went to a group interview that had three other people. (They were interviewing lots of people as they were hiring about 15 people as seasonal employees). We introduced ourselves and had to say why we wanted to work at chapters and how we saw ourselves in the store. They asked for examples of how we had dealt with certain situations in the past. The manager role played being a customer with a different issue for each of us and we had to deal with it in the way we thought best assuming we had the power to do so. We then did a team building exercise that required planning an team work, which we got to repeat to see if we could improve how quickly we finished the task. (It's hard to explain without seeing it but we had to touch numbered pieces of paper scattered on the floor in sequence with only one person's feet allowed to enter the area at a time.) I got a call the next day from the manager when he offered me a position and emailed me the letter of offer.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Applied Online. Got a call a few days later. Went in for a group Interview. This is the most fun you'll have at any 'interview.' It felt more like an orientation into what it would be like to work for Chapters! We did a scenario, a team exercise, some tasking and organization, and had some questions asked to us as a group. The managers and hiring staff were friendly, witty, and fun to be around! They said they'd call within 3 days and actually did the next day with information on orientation and such.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult person you've had to work with?   View Answer

Customer Experience Representative CER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Chapters Indigo in September 2014.

1. Phone call about current situation and past experience.

2. Group interview in store. They'll even email you a reminder the day before, as if they expect you to be stupid enough to mess it up. It was infantile. Like show and tell. "Go grab two items from the store and bring them back and tell us what you like about them".

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They offer you minimum wage, set up vague work expectations so they can have any task or request fall within your duties, if you say no or try negotiating they will immediately move onto the next poor schmuck who needs money for food.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Saw a job posting, applied through the website, went in a week later asking about the position and was told that they were overstaffed due to the transfer of staff from a nearby store that closed, and weren't hiring.

CER Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Chapters Indigo in August 2014.

I filled up an online questionaire which had few questions more theoretical.It gave me an idea of how the system works and I was able to orient myself for the actual interview. I realized that reading as a hobby played a key role for the position I applied for.

Customer Experience Representative (CER), Tasking Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Chapters Indigo.

Applied for the position online and received a call 2 days later asking me to come in for an interview. Manager was very nice and made me feel relaxed. The majority of the questions asked were "give an example of a time when..." We discussed the nature of the position I applied for, as well as the structure of the store, number of employees and managers. We scheduled a second meeting with the store manager right there and then for 4 days later. The store manager was also very welcoming, she asked me similar questions, but much fewer, and discussed what I knew about the company and what they stand for (very customer focused). We then went onto the shop floor where I was asked to do a few exercises. I walked through an area of the store and commented on what I saw, including how I viewed the store as a customer, how I viewed it more critically, what I liked, and what I didn't. She welcomed my honest opinion.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to walk through a section of the store and describe the message that was being sent to the customer. Also asked to explain what I liked and what I would improve.   View Answer
    There was not much of a negotiation phase. I was informed of the salary and expected hours during the interview process and I had no issues with it. I informed the manager during the second interview of an already planned vacation I had and she didn't have a problem with it.

CER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Chapters Indigo.

There were nearly 20 people at the group interview, we were split up into two groups. We did a teamwork activity, a role play scenario, and an interview question segment. For the teamwork, they just want to see if you work well together, if you can cooperate and find a good method to win their game. The role-playing made some nervous, but just be open, professional, as helpful as you can be. As for the interview, it was fairly easy. They seem to like people who are willing to speak up, or have an interesting/fun story to tell. This is the best hiring event I've been to. The managers were friendly, fun, and seemed non-judgmental. A few days later I had a meeting with the GM. It was less of an interview, more like an introduction into the position. I then sent in my references and once they were checked, I got hired.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you struggled with deadlines.   View Answer

Customer Experience Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chapters Indigo in February 2014.

Answered the job posting on their website. Received a call within 4 days. Went for interview 3 days after call. First Interview was with the General Manager of the store and it lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. Some of the questions were with regards to handling a staff member that might not be doing their job as expected..how would you motivate them to do better. Also talking about how your past job experiences can be transferred to this job that you are applying for. They asked what my desired salary would be. But there were a lot of situational questions. There were also questions about Chapters itself. I recommend studying their mission statement as well as the history of the store and how Heather came to be the owner etc etc. So even if you do not know the question that they might as you, you can follow with…but I do know that etc etc. After this interview I met with the District Manager for my second Interview a couple days later and that was very similar. I met with him on a Friday and I received the call on a Monday that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    I was happy with my offer and did not need to negotiate at all. They asked my salary and they offered me what I asked for. I was reasonable in what I asked for as I know that I can prove my value year after year on my performance reviews.