Charles River Associates

Charles River Associates Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014
Updated Oct 28, 2014

Analyst - Competition Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Charles River Associates.

Interviewed in two rounds by two sets of associates. The first part was the case interview. It was a fairy standard case that asked if their was predatory pricing. They associates were helpful in the process and answered any questions you had.

The second part of the interview was a typical behavioral interview and the associates were easy to talk to and informative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Charles River Associates in October 2014.

First round interview was conducted in a relaxed environment. The interviewers were super nice. They were very keen in answering all the questions. I got arranged for second round interview the day after my first interview on campus. They were very flexible in arranging time to accommodate my schedule.

Analyst - Competition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Associates in July 2014.

I applied online and was contacted a month later to set up a phone interview. Prior to the interview I was given a data set to examine which would be discussed during the interview. The data was straight forward and the interviewers were very nice.

After about a week and a half I was contacted to set up a 2nd interview in which they flew my to the Oakland office. The atmosphere of the office was very laid back which I really liked. The interview day consisted of 4 interviews with different senior staff with the conclusion being taken out to lunch with some of the junior staff.

Interview Questions
    • I unfortunately blanked on thinking of an example of employing economic theory in a real life situation.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Associates.

The interview was friendly and welcoming but had its difficult moments. They want to see that you think critically and comprehensively. There's also a fair amount of feeling out of what kind of person you are--seeing if you're the type of person who could work with the group.

The case study was surprisingly difficult. It was a lot of information to process in a short period of time. If I could do it again, I would have spent less time feeling my way through the data, and more time just diving in and making a chart/table.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you have used economics in your daily life.   Answer Question
    Alerted them to my competing offers. They revised their offer accordingly.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Associates.

Applied through the job market for PhD economists (AEA conference) in January of 2013. Met for an initial screening during the conference for about an hour. The interview consisted of me talking about my research and my interviewer telling me about his work. Received an invitation for a second-round interview four days later. The interview took place a month after. I met with people in the Boston office and presented my job market paper between 9:30am and 4pm. Loved the people!! I experienced a very non-pretentious environment. Beautiful office.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was very low stress, no case questions - mostly "tell me about yourself and I will tell you about myself." Questions about my extensive teaching experience and what useful things I have learned with an eye on how this can help me be a good manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Associates.

1st round on campus interview. People seemed nice. Made it to final round but was not granted offer.

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Some simple cases, nothing complicated.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to give a presentation with some data and 45 min to prepare.   Answer Question
    No pay negotiation, didnt try.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles River Associates in November 2013.

Relatively relaxed interview process. I applied online towards the end of my graduate program and contacted a Vice President in the office I was applying for. They brought me in to interview with two Vice Presidents, a Principal, an Associate Principal and an Associate I would potentially work with. There were not many difficult technical questions, it was mostly about my prior experience and fit. It was clearly important to them that my personality could mesh with the group as the main priority, leaving learning technical skills for once I started the position. Shortly thereafterwards I got a call from a Vice President with an offer.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation coming in as an Associate out of school. A competitive signing bonus makes it unnecessary.

Analyst Interview

On campus interview - didn't get a call back

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions like "Why consulting?" and "Why CRA" know about your resume and the company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Charles River Associates.

Casual and laid back interview