Charles River Associates Interview Questions in Washington, DC

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Associates (Washington, DC).

Interview

On-campus interview, then invitation to Super Saturday interviews at the office, then offer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Charles River Associates (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

The company overall seems to be very very efficient and on top of its business stuff, i.e. they are very professional and timely. However, it took them 5 weeks to let me know whether I got an offer or not. Also, this was after I continuously followed up with them several times via email and phone, and on the eve of the expiration of another offer, they called me. I thought that not responding to emails and calling back at 6:30 pm is not professional.

Interview process: There was 1 on campus interview. It was technical and behavioral with questions about statistics, hypothesis testing and some economics. For the office interview, it was all about cultural fit. There were hardly any questions about technical knowledge, most of it was general 1:1 talk. If you wanna work for them, cultural fit is a huge factor, like 90%. They treat you well with an expensive lunch, but do not reimburse in a timely manner. I believe the timeframe for reimbursement is 4 weeks. Its been 5 since I sent in mine, and haven't got anything back yet. [Well, I know its cheap to expect reimbursements but hey.. when you give a bunch of interviews, the costs pile up]

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Associates (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

CRA recruited on my campus, but only for their NYC and Boston offices. I was interested in working in policy, so I got contact information for their Washington DC recruiter from the career fair representative. Didn't hear re: my application until almost a month after filing.

Received an email and phone call asking me if I was interested in conducting a 1st round phone interview. Phone interview was about 30-45 minutes, mostly behavioral or resume questions, a few that stood out:

1. we often deal with clients who understand very little about economics or statistics. If you needed to, how would you explain the concept of a statistical regression to a layperson

2. What experience do you have with data analysis in Excel/Access (could have been prompted by my work experience in this area.

3. What do you do outside of academics (hobbies, charity, etc)

4. Anything academic, data, or research oriented on your resume WILL be asked about, be prepared to talk about it.

Interviewers were extremely friendly, responded positively.

Was offered a 2nd round interview 48 hours later. Their travel agent was very accommodating of my other plans in booking flights/hotels. They also reimburse you for taxis, and food (up to $60).

Second round interview consisted of five 30 minute interviews, all heavily behavioral/resume based. You will interview simultaneously with about ~10 other recruits. We all met and waited in the conference room for about 10 minutes, food and drink was available there, great selection ;)

First interview is with HR people, basically they give you a rundown of what the company is about and answer questions. For my interview I was brought in simultaneously with another candidate for this portion.

Two of the next four interviews are with pairs of new/newer employees, anywhere from 2 months with CRA to 3 years. All resume questions and behavioral, be prepared to talk about EVERYTHING on your resume at length

The other two interviews will be with Principals at CRA. A principal is like a lead consultant, as far as I know they are one step below vice president. Same type of questions. They try to pair you with someone who is in your field of interest, but no guarantees.

Interview Questions

• Explain the concept of a statistical regression to me as if I were a layperson.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offered me a fantastic salary to do academic work that I am genuinely interested in doing, no negotiation was necessary. Offer comes about ~2 weeks after 2nd round, they will give you 2 weeks to decide.