Charles River Development Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Development in October 2013.

I have previous experience working with CRD, and decided to reach out and apply for the IM position. After extensive discussion with the recruiter, and an in person interview with 4 employees - I felt they had the opportunity to get to know me very well as a person/potential employee. I was able to ask adequate questions, and was satisfied with the process.

Interview Questions
    • Since you are speaking with members of the team that are above your level coming in, they truly test every strength and weakness. By far the most difficult was the analytical test at the end of the interview.   Answer Question

Would Rather Not Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Charles River Development.

Phone screen followed by a full day of interviews, an an extemporaneous writing sample

Interview Questions
    • You are often asked to rate your own skill level in key areas   View Answer

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Charles River Development in November 2013.

The hiring process was pretty easy going I liked the recruiter a lot. The interview was a couple hours and started with a logic test as you might see in a college math logic class. Then There were 4 or 5 separate 1 on 1 interviews with different levels of employees: developers, team leads, and a director

Interview Questions
    • Some of the technical questions were tough for my lacking of expertise but not particularly difficult. Data structure questions, object oriented focused questions, etc.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles River Development.

several phone screens, then in person interview with hiring manager, and then a follow up session with senior mgmt who make extra effort to discourage one from joining the firm. There is fine line between vetting and discouraging but i suspect Charles River crosses it often. One of their MD was completely unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • several scenario questions...."what would you do if ...happens"
      based on the questions, it seemed as if the firm has issues with its clients otherwise they should be at Harvard providing case study examples. Something is clearly worng at this place.
        Answer Question

got the sense that they are full of themselves, and sr mgmt leadership was weak. Other mgmrs strong but with weak mgmt (MD level), can't imagine they have a bright future.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Charles River Development in November 2012.

I contacted a corporate recruiter at CRD through LinkedIn. After the initial conversation she was able to quickly set up a phone screening with a software engineer the group I was applying to. The phone screening questions were tough but relevant to the job description.

After the phone screening CRD set up an interview in their offices with several other software engineers and managers. A lot of technical (software related) and a few statistics questions. Logical reasoning test at the end. All of the people I interacted with (HR, engineers, managers) were very nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

My company went out of business very suddenly and I panicked a bit and submitted my resume to way too many companies. At some point had three offers. Decided to choose another company based on my long term career goals and skill set being better aligned with the other position but CRD's offer and benefits were very competitive. Would definitely consider the company in my next job search.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Development in February 2010.

Was approached by the company's recruiter after I posted my resume on their site. A phone interview was arranged which was a overview of the kind of work I had previously done, mostly technical. Then (after a week) there was an onsite interview, 1:1 with 4 different people, all technical. The interviewers were all very nice and pleasant. Then after a couple of days another onsite, this time there was an IQ test. Got the offer on another weeks time.

Interview Questions
    • How will you generate fibbinacci series using a select statement?   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Development in March 2013.

Very quick and organized processes

Interview Questions
    • solving technical questions on the board, but mostly it is practical questions which is must known   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Charles River Development in November 2009.

The interview process well and the feedback was positive, but the company changed it's mind at the last minute attributing the decision to an internal reorg.

Interview Questions
    • Write code to figure out if the numbers in an array form a sequence eg. 2, 4,5,3,1 is a sequence from 1-5.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Charles River Development in January 2010.

One of my network contacts put me in touch with the hiring manager. My first interview consisted of one-on-one interviews with two people, a team member and the hiring manager, followed by a logic test.

The first interview was rather standard. We discussed my skills and experience, the team, the work, and a bit about company culture. Red flag #1 - the requirement (part of their contracts) that everyone work a 45 hour week. When I questioned it, the interviewer said, "Well, I suppose the owner thinks that everyone is stealing at least an hour a day from him, and he's determined to get it back."

The second interview of the first day was with the hiring manager, who mostly described their very complex product. And described their company culture as being a “consultant culture.” If you're not doing billable work, your work is not valued. Red flag #2 was the story he told about how the owner used to walk around the company firing anyone that he thought wasn't working hard enough. "It wouldn't matter if you'd just spent ten hour cranking out code, if he came around the corner and found you with your feet up on the desk, he'd fire you."

The last part of my first interview was a 24 question logic test, which you had 50 minutes to complete. The recruiter told me not to worry about the test, said it had been part of their hiring process since the company was founded, and that it was no longer a hire/no hire determiner. She gave me an hour to work on it, and told me that most people finish 18 questions, but not to worry if I didn't get that many. It was more important to answer correctly than to answer all the questions. I finished all 24 questions within the 50 minutes. The recruiter seemed surprised that I'd not only finished the entire test, but had gotten so many questions correct.

I was called back for a second interview, this time with the hiring manager’s manager. This time I was really grilled. The interviewer questioned everything on my resume, my skills and whether my experience was classroom or real-world, my previous jobs, the size of the companies that I had previously worked for, the products that I had previously worked on, etc.

Despite the fact that they claim to be doing Agile development, I did not observe much teamwork going on in the office. It was dead silent when I was there. I was told by more than one person that it is a very quiet office, even the employee who sits near the developers told me that nobody ever talks. I don't see how you can be "doing Agile" if the team never talks to each other.

Despite the fact that she promised to follow up with me, I never heard back from the HR contact. But it was pretty obvious from how my second interview ended that I did not have the experience that they were looking for. And by that point, I'd already figured out that I was not a good match for their company culture. Previous experience with financial products seems to be a requirement for employment. If you don't have a financial background, I'd be very surpised if you could get hired there.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions that I was asked stands out in my memory as being unexpected or more difficult than any other. The most difficult part of the interview process was probably the logic test, which is probably proprietary information.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Development in July 2010.

I had a interview with the HR rep which lead to a phone interview with hiring manager. I was then flown in for a face to face interview to meet with the hiring manager and department lead.

Interview Questions

Worked for Charles River Development? Contribute to the Community!