Charles River Development

Relevance Date Difficulty

Development Management Interview

Development Management
Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Charles River Development in April 2009.

Interview Details – Contacted by the recruiter who setup interviews with too many people all asking the same standard generic and technical questions without any idea of what I was being considered/hired for. Either way I was asked to describe my logic when writing code for a hypothetical feature. The entire process was poorly managed with a focus on quantity vs quality. Never heard back from the recruiter after all the interviews. No feedback or closure. Very unprofessional. I believe that the recruiting style reflects the company's culture and what you will experience after you join the company. In this case a poor recruiting style was a red flag I couldn't ignore. Don't waste your time taking calls from Charles River. I sense the company is in bad shape as evidenced by the recruiting process and all the interviewers who by the way seemed pretty bored with their day jobs. Plus, all the negative employee reviews seem to be more or less spot on based on my interaction with the technical team there.

Interview Question – How are you doing?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unprofessional and rigid company culture.

Automation Engineer Interview

Automation Engineer
Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Charles River Development in November 2010.

Interview Details – Company recruiter contacted me and asked me if I want to be interviewed for their openings. I had not heard about the firm so I said I will see. He contacted me after few days and asked again, I said yes. He set up phone interview with QA director who interviewed me for 30 mins. Then he wanted another phone interview with automation eng. He interviewd for 30 mins and cleared. Then recruiter set up in person interview. He was wondering if I would be interested to come down to office looks like lot of other candidates even rejected the interview process. I now get why.

They really have a flawed interview process. It takes a whole frigging day. They asked me to come at 8 and none of them were in yet. I waited for 30 mins and the interviewer came then.

They make you interviewed by all their staff members. I had 6 people interview me and the funny part is none of them ask a valid question. They just asked questions like how many were in your previous teams. How many QA how many dev and such things. Also all of them repeated the same questions. They called me for automation engineer position and they dint ask even 1 technical question. After all this there is a stupid logical test consisting of multiple choice puzzles. Who will give this kinda tests for 5-6 yrs experienced professionals?

I dont mind if I dont get the offer if they have validated me well and rejected me. But through the interview that they did, I dont think they can even reject anyone. Also after wasting my whole day, they dont even have the courtesy to get back to me with the interview results. Please dont go here for the interview. Its waste of time.

Interview Question – How big or small was your team?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Charles River Development in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter for development group. She was very knowledgeable about the company and the engineering teams. She was quick in scheduling a technical phone screen with one of the developers.

The phone screen was tough and required alot of memorization that I was not prepared for but I guess I was able to get my points across. I was invited in for an interview.

The interview day was fairly long (approx. 5 hours) but I had been prepared for this by the recruiter. One of the team members took me to lunch. The interviews were very challenging and asked me to show examples on the white board. I liked this. You could tell the interviewers were very good engineers. I liked this too. Again, I was asked some memorization type questions but I was given an opportunity to expand on my answers and also ask my own questions.

In the end I was not offered the job because I was told I lacked the SQL skills required for the position. It was a good learning experience for me. The recruiter was quick to give me the decision (nice change from other companies) and some feedback. Overall it was a positive experience. I would have liked to have been offered a job working with those people.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Development in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had a interview with the HR rep which lead to a phone interview with hiring manager. I was then flown in for a face to face interview to meet with the hiring manager and department lead.

Interview Question – tell me your experience with DOS   View Answer

User Experience/Design Interview

User Experience/Design
Burlington, MA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Charles River Development in April 2010.

Interview Details – Spoke with an in-house recruiter initially, who was informative & pleasant. It was apparent he worked within the financial market sector, as there was a lot of information about company performance and profitability that I suspect many Market Analysts appreciate. That gave me a hint at the intensity of the corporate climate.

After that, had about a 30 min phone screen with the VP of Dev, who was not as pleasant. This person was primarily interested in the software that I use to perform my job. Although these questions were easy to answer, he did not give me any time to describe *what* I do, or how I put those tools to use.

When I asked a question about what the needs/goals of the company were for this department or position, it seemed to throw the interview further off. Perhaps there simply wasn't time for a two way conversation. This was a rapid Q&A session that might have been most efficiently handled via online screener / questionnaire.

Interview Questions

Corporate Development Associate Interview

Corporate Development Associate
Boston, MA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Charles River Development in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied on the company's website and was contacted maybe a month later. I then had a phone interview and was invited back to the office. I thought the interview went well, but I didn't get the offer. The whole process was extremely casual and the interviewer was more interested in the questions you could ask and how your mind works than in asking you questions.

Interview Question – What is your ideal job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Quality Assurance Interview

Quality Assurance
Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Charles River Development in March 2010.

Interview Details – As it was an interview for an internship, the process was fairly easy. No difficult questions, just talked about the resume.

Interview Question – no hard questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Implmentation Manager Interview

Implmentation Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Charles River Development in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter about an opportunity in Brazil. The initial conversation was throught email and chat, then got an phone interview. In the meanwhile, the recruiter just vanished! Extremelly unprofessional and rude! It was really a shame. I won't never give attention to these guys!

Interview Question – How many chairs we have in US?   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Burlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Charles River Development in January 2010.

Interview Details – One of my network contacts put me in touch with the hiring manager. My first interview consisted of one-on-one interviews with two people, a team member and the hiring manager, followed by a logic test.

The first interview was rather standard. We discussed my skills and experience, the team, the work, and a bit about company culture. Red flag #1 - the requirement (part of their contracts) that everyone work a 45 hour week. When I questioned it, the interviewer said, "Well, I suppose the owner thinks that everyone is stealing at least an hour a day from him, and he's determined to get it back."

The second interview of the first day was with the hiring manager, who mostly described their very complex product. And described their company culture as being a “consultant culture.” If you're not doing billable work, your work is not valued. Red flag #2 was the story he told about how the owner used to walk around the company firing anyone that he thought wasn't working hard enough. "It wouldn't matter if you'd just spent ten hour cranking out code, if he came around the corner and found you with your feet up on the desk, he'd fire you."

The last part of my first interview was a 24 question logic test, which you had 50 minutes to complete. The recruiter told me not to worry about the test, said it had been part of their hiring process since the company was founded, and that it was no longer a hire/no hire determiner. She gave me an hour to work on it, and told me that most people finish 18 questions, but not to worry if I didn't get that many. It was more important to answer correctly than to answer all the questions. I finished all 24 questions within the 50 minutes. The recruiter seemed surprised that I'd not only finished the entire test, but had gotten so many questions correct.

I was called back for a second interview, this time with the hiring manager’s manager. This time I was really grilled. The interviewer questioned everything on my resume, my skills and whether my experience was classroom or real-world, my previous jobs, the size of the companies that I had previously worked for, the products that I had previously worked on, etc.

Despite the fact that they claim to be doing Agile development, I did not observe much teamwork going on in the office. It was dead silent when I was there. I was told by more than one person that it is a very quiet office, even the employee who sits near the developers told me that nobody ever talks. I don't see how you can be "doing Agile" if the team never talks to each other.

Despite the fact that she promised to follow up with me, I never heard back from the HR contact. But it was pretty obvious from how my second interview ended that I did not have the experience that they were looking for. And by that point, I'd already figured out that I was not a good match for their company culture. Previous experience with financial products seems to be a requirement for employment. If you don't have a financial background, I'd be very surpised if you could get hired there.

Interview Question – None of the questions that I was asked stands out in my memory as being unexpected or more difficult than any other. The most difficult part of the interview process was probably the logic test, which is probably proprietary information.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Development in February 2010.

Interview Details – Was approached by the company's recruiter after I posted my resume on their site. A phone interview was arranged which was a overview of the kind of work I had previously done, mostly technical. Then (after a week) there was an onsite interview, 1:1 with 4 different people, all technical. The interviewers were all very nice and pleasant. Then after a couple of days another onsite, this time there was an IQ test. Got the offer on another weeks time.

Interview Question – How will you generate fibbinacci series using a select statement?   Answer Question