Charles River Development

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Development in July 2010.

I had a interview with the HR rep which lead to a phone interview with hiring manager. I was then flown in for a face to face interview to meet with the hiring manager and department lead.

User Experience/Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Charles River Development in April 2010.

Spoke with an in-house recruiter initially, who was informative & pleasant. It was apparent he worked within the financial market sector, as there was a lot of information about company performance and profitability that I suspect many Market Analysts appreciate. That gave me a hint at the intensity of the corporate climate.

After that, had about a 30 min phone screen with the VP of Dev, who was not as pleasant. This person was primarily interested in the software that I use to perform my job. Although these questions were easy to answer, he did not give me any time to describe *what* I do, or how I put those tools to use.

When I asked a question about what the needs/goals of the company were for this department or position, it seemed to throw the interview further off. Perhaps there simply wasn't time for a two way conversation. This was a rapid Q&A session that might have been most efficiently handled via online screener / questionnaire.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles River Development in March 2010.

As it was an interview for an internship, the process was fairly easy. No difficult questions, just talked about the resume.

Corporate Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Development in March 2010.

I applied on the company's website and was contacted maybe a month later. I then had a phone interview and was invited back to the office. I thought the interview went well, but I didn't get the offer. The whole process was extremely casual and the interviewer was more interested in the questions you could ask and how your mind works than in asking you questions.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Charles River Development in January 2010.

One of my network contacts put me in touch with the hiring manager. My first interview consisted of one-on-one interviews with two people, a team member and the hiring manager, followed by a logic test.

The first interview was rather standard. We discussed my skills and experience, the team, the work, and a bit about company culture. Red flag #1 - the requirement (part of their contracts) that everyone work a 45 hour week. When I questioned it, the interviewer said, "Well, I suppose the owner thinks that everyone is stealing at least an hour a day from him, and he's determined to get it back."

The second interview of the first day was with the hiring manager, who mostly described their very complex product. And described their company culture as being a “consultant culture.” If you're not doing billable work, your work is not valued. Red flag #2 was the story he told about how the owner used to walk around the company firing anyone that he thought wasn't working hard enough. "It wouldn't matter if you'd just spent ten hour cranking out code, if he came around the corner and found you with your feet up on the desk, he'd fire you."

The last part of my first interview was a 24 question logic test, which you had 50 minutes to complete. The recruiter told me not to worry about the test, said it had been part of their hiring process since the company was founded, and that it was no longer a hire/no hire determiner. She gave me an hour to work on it, and told me that most people finish 18 questions, but not to worry if I didn't get that many. It was more important to answer correctly than to answer all the questions. I finished all 24 questions within the 50 minutes. The recruiter seemed surprised that I'd not only finished the entire test, but had gotten so many questions correct.

I was called back for a second interview, this time with the hiring manager’s manager. This time I was really grilled. The interviewer questioned everything on my resume, my skills and whether my experience was classroom or real-world, my previous jobs, the size of the companies that I had previously worked for, the products that I had previously worked on, etc.

Despite the fact that they claim to be doing Agile development, I did not observe much teamwork going on in the office. It was dead silent when I was there. I was told by more than one person that it is a very quiet office, even the employee who sits near the developers told me that nobody ever talks. I don't see how you can be "doing Agile" if the team never talks to each other.

Despite the fact that she promised to follow up with me, I never heard back from the HR contact. But it was pretty obvious from how my second interview ended that I did not have the experience that they were looking for. And by that point, I'd already figured out that I was not a good match for their company culture. Previous experience with financial products seems to be a requirement for employment. If you don't have a financial background, I'd be very surpised if you could get hired there.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions that I was asked stands out in my memory as being unexpected or more difficult than any other. The most difficult part of the interview process was probably the logic test, which is probably proprietary information.   Answer Question

Implmentation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Charles River Development in May 2009.

I was contacted by a recruiter about an opportunity in Brazil. The initial conversation was throught email and chat, then got an phone interview. In the meanwhile, the recruiter just vanished! Extremelly unprofessional and rude! It was really a shame. I won't never give attention to these guys!

Development Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles River Development in April 2009.

Contacted by the recruiter who setup interviews with too many people all asking the same standard generic and technical questions without any idea of what I was being considered/hired for. Either way I was asked to describe my logic when writing code for a hypothetical feature. The entire process was poorly managed with a focus on quantity vs quality. Never heard back from the recruiter after all the interviews. No feedback or closure. Very unprofessional. I believe that the recruiting style reflects the company's culture and what you will experience after you join the company. In this case a poor recruiting style was a red flag I couldn't ignore. Don't waste your time taking calls from Charles River. I sense the company is in bad shape as evidenced by the recruiting process and all the interviewers who by the way seemed pretty bored with their day jobs. Plus, all the negative employee reviews seem to be more or less spot on based on my interaction with the technical team there.

Interview Questions

Unprofessional and rigid company culture.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles River Development in January 2009.

Standard phone screen questions on the phone such as understanding of Java collections, OOD/OOP.
    More detailed questions on the interview. Mostly along the same lines. Written database knowledge test. (If you know how to write inner and outer joins, you'll be fine) plus English language test for non-native speakers (easy).

Interview Questions
    • This isn't really the most difficult question
      i've ever heard but...

Say you have the following classes

class A
      { public String doIt() { return "A"; } }

class B extends A
      { public String doIt() { return "B"; } }

class C
      { public static String doIt() { return "C"; } }

class D extends C
      { public static String doIt() { return "D"; } }

Now consider the following code snippet

A b = new B();
      String s1 = b.doIt();
      C d = new D();
      String s2 = d.doIt();

What will be the values of s1 and s2?

View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles River Development in February 2012.

Interview Questions
    • lot of questions from databases - join, trigger, index, deadlocks, normalization, query optimization, difference between truncate and delete   Answer Question

Client Services Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Development in September 2011.

The process consisted of 2 phone interviews, one with HR and one with a CS manager, and a day long onsite panel interview. The experience matches what others described here, including the absence of a conclusion. I never heard from them.

In hindsight I should have considered CRD's reputation and not have wasted my time and efforts.

Interview Questions
    • One difficult aspect ,though not a question , was the lack of engagement and disinterest on the part of two panel interviewers, both senior staff members. They conveyed that the session was a waste of their time.   View Answer