Charles River Laboratories Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.8

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in July 2014.

The process started by submitting a resume. I was called for a phone interview with the hiring manager. About a week later we had a follow up phone interview. I was invited in for a half day meeting with 7 different people. Each interview was about 30 minutes long. All of the organization was done through the HR department, not directly with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, however you often don't know what answer is being sought in an open ended question.   Answer Question

Scientific Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories.

Really professional interview process. They were always on time and communicated effectively in terms of setting up interviews. Initially was contacted by HR for an interview, it consisted of a panel of 3 people that were very friendly and personable. Asked basic interview questions such as strengths, weaknesses, why this company. Second interview was also a panel of 3 and focused more on the position requirements. Interviews were about a week apart.

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked: How you feel about animal testing? How do you feel about working in a team?   Answer Question

Aquatics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in August 2013.

I initially applied through company website for a Technician position close to my home. A couple days later a recruiter (very nice & helpful lady) called me and left a message stating that I didn’t quite qualify for the position I applied for but another position ”Aquatics Specialist” fit my experience background better, however, was a further commute if I was still interested. Next Day I had a phone interview with the recruiter. It was pretty easy. Basic questions about my resume and my experience related to the position. Then the next week I had in-person interview with the project managers. One manager showed me around the facility and a quick rundown of the research they do at the NIH. All the workers were dressed very casually. Then we did a Q&A session, discussed responsibilities, benefits, and pay rate with two managers. A little overwhelming but the managers seemed very down to earth. The next day the recruiter called stating that they would like to offer me the position. A few days later I received my offer letter in the mail, as well as, drug testing and physical appointment info.

Interview Questions
    • How do you go about ensuring the consumers a quality product?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with animal experimentation and euthanasia?   Answer Question
    No negotiation of salary.

Client Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in March 2013.

I interviewed at CRL several months ago in response to a posting I saw on Indeed. Only after reaching out to the Sr. VP/CIO did I receive an acknowledgement of interest. Makes me wonder how effective the HR’s Applicant Tracking System really is. Anyway, he put in touch with his deputy CIO and we arranged a face to face meeting. Interviews were scheduled for an 4 hour morning interview. Almost every interviewer was late and felt rushed so it I felt they’re weren’t really “present” during the interview.
    Weeks go by with no word after numerous follow ups of my interest and my fit for the position. Several months later I get an email saying that they’re holding on the interview/selection process. (huh?)
    Guess what? I see them posting (AGAIN!) for the same position they could have filled last year. Extremely flawed interview process. They need to get their collective act together before I would even consider interviewing with them again.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to be when you grow up???? (yes, they really asked me this question)   View Answer

Research Technician Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in January 2012.

There's no phone interview; only a panel interview. Most of time was actually used for explaining the work you would do. The panel included three people: an HR person, and two research technician assistants. They weren't intimidating at all.

Interview Questions
    • One of questions asks how comfortable would you be coordinating with the higher ups. Last question was about your opinion on animal research.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in August 2011.

I met with two groups of people. If memory serves, one group was more lab based and the other more paper-work based, although I'm not quite sure. Both groups were nice and suprisingly casual, that being said the experience was still intimidating. We went over my resume, future class schedule, and the typical interview questions ("tell us about a mistake you made and how you handled it." "Tell us about yourself" etc...).

Interview Questions
    • You are lacking experience, why should we hire you?   View Answer

Animal Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in August 2011.

Initial interview with staffing agency was simple and efficient. Subsequent interviews with company took four tries to actually get interview. Problems with computer systems and scheduling conflicts caused cancellations of first three interview sessions by human resources! However once i was finally granted an audience the human resources manager was very friendly and out going, honest and genuine. The office staff was friendly and accommodating. Overall was happy with interview. Was not given opportunity to negotiate. But reasonable offer was proposed and i accepted. Office and upper management is effective and a pleasure to work with. Overall culture of workplace is rife with rumor and deceit. Middle management has many issues not being addressed or simply ignored. My particular in room manager is polite and effective. Speaking of other middle managers i can only report the stories of lying cheating and employee mistreatment.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Cut and dried offer given.

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in May 2011.

Began with a phone interview with director of internal audit then was brought in to meet with the team. In person interview consisted of 1:1 interview with HR, director, and associate director. Followed by meeting with the rest of team members as a small group. It was a long day to go through that many interviews with people, however felt that they were able to get a view of who I was and I was able to get a really good idea of the company and position.

Senior Associate, Clinical Trials Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in March 2009.

I applied, they called me, I scheduled interview. They called and rescheduled. I went in and interviewed, toured the lab; met with study director. Did not feel interview went all that well but was offered the position, which i declined.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a negative interaction with a research investigator and how you were able to resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Not the right "feel."

Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories.

about half an hour each with different senior scientist