Charles River Laboratories Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.7

Senior Technical Specialist, EMD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very easy, laid back interview. Only asked questions about experience and what tasks I did in my current role. No strengths and weakness, confusing, or trick questions. Consisted of an interview with the director and manager over the phone, then with the manager in person. Was notified of the position by a recruiter. I was then put in contact with both of these folks. Both were very friendly and personable. Overall, it was a very pain-free interview process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any issues with taking things apart and putting them back together?   Answer Question

Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Wilmington, MA).

Interview

I talked briefly to an HR guy. Standard questions. He was basically checking for a pulse. Then he walked me up to the hiring manager. They wanted to know a bit about my work history, but were also looking t make sure I was breathing and could stand on my hind legs.

Technical and Customer Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Newark, DE) in March 2015.

Interview

Email from HR one day after submitting resume via Indeed.com to set up phone screen, which happened the next day. After this I was asked to come for an in person interview, 1 week later. The interivew was on site at the facility where the position was based. Interview lasted from 9am-1pm. I met with HR representative, 4 Directors and 3 Managers and a Sr Specialist and Sr. Supervisor. Each for about 30 minutes. Lunch was provided. The interview went well and I left feeling confident of a call back. I was well prepared for the interview and had actual experiences I could relay to the interviewers. I didnt ramble and was open & honest if I didnt have the experience or skills they asked about. I got a call back 4 business days after the interview and was offered the position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions about internal operating systems (i'd no experience and stated as such). How did I deal with pressure and conflict? I was asked about my experiences as manager. How did I deal with a difficult situation? Describe what you do in your current position? How does this relate to this new position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated for a higher salary and was successful in getting an increase in base salary plus a signing bonus to meet my figure request.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Wilmington, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

The process started by submitting a resume. I was called for a phone interview with the hiring manager. About a week later we had a follow up phone interview. I was invited in for a half day meeting with 7 different people. Each interview was about 30 minutes long. All of the organization was done through the HR department, not directly with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected, however you often don't know what answer is being sought in an open ended question.   Answer Question

Scientific Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Reno, NV).

Interview

Really professional interview process. They were always on time and communicated effectively in terms of setting up interviews. Initially was contacted by HR for an interview, it consisted of a panel of 3 people that were very friendly and personable. Asked basic interview questions such as strengths, weaknesses, why this company. Second interview was also a panel of 3 and focused more on the position requirements. Interviews were about a week apart.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked: How you feel about animal testing? How do you feel about working in a team?   Answer Question

Aquatics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Bethesda, MD) in August 2013.

Interview

I initially applied through company website for a Technician position close to my home. A couple days later a recruiter (very nice & helpful lady) called me and left a message stating that I didn’t quite qualify for the position I applied for but another position ”Aquatics Specialist” fit my experience background better, however, was a further commute if I was still interested. Next Day I had a phone interview with the recruiter. It was pretty easy. Basic questions about my resume and my experience related to the position. Then the next week I had in-person interview with the project managers. One manager showed me around the facility and a quick rundown of the research they do at the NIH. All the workers were dressed very casually. Then we did a Q&A session, discussed responsibilities, benefits, and pay rate with two managers. A little overwhelming but the managers seemed very down to earth. The next day the recruiter called stating that they would like to offer me the position. A few days later I received my offer letter in the mail, as well as, drug testing and physical appointment info.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about ensuring the consumers a quality product?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with animal experimentation and euthanasia?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation of salary.

Client Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories in March 2013.

Interview

I interviewed at CRL several months ago in response to a posting I saw on Indeed. Only after reaching out to the Sr. VP/CIO did I receive an acknowledgement of interest. Makes me wonder how effective the HR’s Applicant Tracking System really is. Anyway, he put in touch with his deputy CIO and we arranged a face to face meeting. Interviews were scheduled for an 4 hour morning interview. Almost every interviewer was late and felt rushed so it I felt they’re weren’t really “present” during the interview. Weeks go by with no word after numerous follow ups of my interest and my fit for the position. Several months later I get an email saying that they’re holding on the interview/selection process. (huh?) Guess what? I see them posting (AGAIN!) for the same position they could have filled last year. Extremely flawed interview process. They need to get their collective act together before I would even consider interviewing with them again.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to be when you grow up???? (yes, they really asked me this question)   1 Answer

Research Technician Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Reno, NV) in January 2012.

Interview

There's no phone interview; only a panel interview. Most of time was actually used for explaining the work you would do. The panel included three people: an HR person, and two research technician assistants. They weren't intimidating at all.

Interview Questions

• One of questions asks how comfortable would you be coordinating with the higher ups. Last question was about your opinion on animal research.   Answer Question

Microbiologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Malvern, PA) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview was well lead. I spoke to the manager of the department who brought in the supervisors as well to talk to during the interview. Also brought in a newly hired employee to relate to.

Animal Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles River Laboratories (Portage, MI) in August 2011.

Interview

Initial interview with staffing agency was simple and efficient. Subsequent interviews with company took four tries to actually get interview. Problems with computer systems and scheduling conflicts caused cancellations of first three interview sessions by human resources! However once i was finally granted an audience the human resources manager was very friendly and out going, honest and genuine. The office staff was friendly and accommodating. Overall was happy with interview. Was not given opportunity to negotiate. But reasonable offer was proposed and i accepted. Office and upper management is effective and a pleasure to work with. Overall culture of workplace is rife with rumor and deceit. Middle management has many issues not being addressed or simply ignored. My particular in room manager is polite and effective. Speaking of other middle managers i can only report the stories of lying cheating and employee mistreatment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Cut and dried offer given.