Charles River Laboratories

Relevance Date Difficulty

Scientific Coordinator Interview

Scientific Coordinator
Reno, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories.

Interview Details – Really professional interview process. They were always on time and communicated effectively in terms of setting up interviews. Initially was contacted by HR for an interview, it consisted of a panel of 3 people that were very friendly and personable. Asked basic interview questions such as strengths, weaknesses, why this company. Second interview was also a panel of 3 and focused more on the position requirements. Interviews were about a week apart.

Interview Question – Questions asked: How you feel about animal testing? How do you feel about working in a team?   Answer Question

Client Manager Interview

Client Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories in March 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed at CRL several months ago in response to a posting I saw on Indeed. Only after reaching out to the Sr. VP/CIO did I receive an acknowledgement of interest. Makes me wonder how effective the HR’s Applicant Tracking System really is. Anyway, he put in touch with his deputy CIO and we arranged a face to face meeting. Interviews were scheduled for an 4 hour morning interview. Almost every interviewer was late and felt rushed so it I felt they’re weren’t really “present” during the interview.
Weeks go by with no word after numerous follow ups of my interest and my fit for the position. Several months later I get an email saying that they’re holding on the interview/selection process. (huh?)
Guess what? I see them posting (AGAIN!) for the same position they could have filled last year. Extremely flawed interview process. They need to get their collective act together before I would even consider interviewing with them again.

Interview Question – What do you want to be when you grow up???? (yes, they really asked me this question)   View Answer

Aquatics Specialist Interview

Aquatics Specialist
Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories in August 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied through company website for a Technician position close to my home. A couple days later a recruiter (very nice & helpful lady) called me and left a message stating that I didn’t quite qualify for the position I applied for but another position ”Aquatics Specialist” fit my experience background better, however, was a further commute if I was still interested. Next Day I had a phone interview with the recruiter. It was pretty easy. Basic questions about my resume and my experience related to the position. Then the next week I had in-person interview with the project managers. One manager showed me around the facility and a quick rundown of the research they do at the NIH. All the workers were dressed very casually. Then we did a Q&A session, discussed responsibilities, benefits, and pay rate with two managers. A little overwhelming but the managers seemed very down to earth. The next day the recruiter called stating that they would like to offer me the position. A few days later I received my offer letter in the mail, as well as, drug testing and physical appointment info.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation of salary.

Research Technician Assistant Interview

Research Technician Assistant
Reno, NV

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories in January 2012.

Interview Details – There's no phone interview; only a panel interview. Most of time was actually used for explaining the work you would do. The panel included three people: an HR person, and two research technician assistants. They weren't intimidating at all.

Interview Question – One of questions asks how comfortable would you be coordinating with the higher ups. Last question was about your opinion on animal research.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Animal Technologist Interview

Animal Technologist
Portage, MI

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories in August 2011.

Interview Details – Initial interview with staffing agency was simple and efficient. Subsequent interviews with company took four tries to actually get interview. Problems with computer systems and scheduling conflicts caused cancellations of first three interview sessions by human resources! However once i was finally granted an audience the human resources manager was very friendly and out going, honest and genuine. The office staff was friendly and accommodating. Overall was happy with interview. Was not given opportunity to negotiate. But reasonable offer was proposed and i accepted. Office and upper management is effective and a pleasure to work with. Overall culture of workplace is rife with rumor and deceit. Middle management has many issues not being addressed or simply ignored. My particular in room manager is polite and effective. Speaking of other middle managers i can only report the stories of lying cheating and employee mistreatment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Cut and dried offer given.

Internship Interview

Internship
Reno, NV

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories in August 2011.

Interview Details – I met with two groups of people. If memory serves, one group was more lab based and the other more paper-work based, although I'm not quite sure. Both groups were nice and suprisingly casual, that being said the experience was still intimidating. We went over my resume, future class schedule, and the typical interview questions ("tell us about a mistake you made and how you handled it." "Tell us about yourself" etc...).

Interview Question – You are lacking experience, why should we hire you?   View Answer

Internal Auditor Interview

Internal Auditor
Wilmington, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories in May 2011.

Interview Details – Began with a phone interview with director of internal audit then was brought in to meet with the team. In person interview consisted of 1:1 interview with HR, director, and associate director. Followed by meeting with the rest of team members as a small group. It was a long day to go through that many interviews with people, however felt that they were able to get a view of who I was and I was able to get a really good idea of the company and position.

Senior Associate, Clinical Trials Interview

Senior Associate, Clinical Trials
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories in March 2009.

Interview Details – I applied, they called me, I scheduled interview. They called and rescheduled. I went in and interviewed, toured the lab; met with study director. Did not feel interview went all that well but was offered the position, which i declined.

Interview Question – Tell us about a negative interaction with a research investigator and how you were able to resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the right "feel."

Scientist Interview

Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories.

Interview Details – about half an hour each with different senior scientist

Interview Question – standard questions   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Charles River Laboratories.

Interview Details – Meet with HR rep and future Supervisor. Tour of facility and job description. Meet with different staff members to hear more about the company and position. In some cases, there is a facility tour with a senior staff member, Team Leader, to visit the facility and to answer questions in regards to the work performed at the company.

Interview Question – Asked about views of animal research.   Answer Question

Worked for Charles River Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!