Charles Schwab Broker Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015
Updated Mar 28, 2015

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Emailed and asked to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 45 minutes and was a behavioral interview. Said that they would notify you within a week. Still waiting to hear back on whether or not, I got the job.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you and a coworker had a disagreement and what was the outcome? Threw my off a little bit because I have never been in this situation. The rest of the questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Charles Schwab

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in March 2015.

After applying online I was contacted by a recruiter and directed to take a personality test, then set up a phone interview. After the phone interview I was contacted to go in for an in person interview. If you get passed the in person interview you have the job pending a background check and drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you tutored a lower classman, what skills and strategies did you use to teach them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2015.

As most people on here have said, the process started with an online application and resume submittal and a personality test. If you're being considered after that they will email you times to schedule a short phone interview and will tell you at the end of the call whether they would like you to come in for a face to face. The face to face interview was as far as I got, but had I gone on in the process, the next step would've been a background and credit check and a drug screen before being officially hired.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you delivered outstanding customer service.
      Describe a time when you had an upset customer and how you handled the situation.
      What about financial services excites you and why do you want to work for Schwab?

Answer Question

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

I was initially applying for the Financial Consultant Academy at Charles Schwab, however I did not meet the minimum requirements on a preliminary personality test for the position. So it was recommended that I look into the Broker Trainee program. A recruiter then contacted me and asked if I would be interested to speak with her on the phone about the position. It turned out that this was an interview, which was not clear to me when the appointment was scheduled, I thought it was to be an informational call.

Phone Interview Questions.
    • Tell about a time when you delivered plus one customer service.
    • Tell me why you are interested in this position.
    • Tell me about the most difficult feedback you ever received.
    • And a few others I am not remembering right now.

I was then told I would hear back in a week whether or not I made on to the next stage of interviews.

I am still in the interview process as this writing takes place.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult feedback you ever received.   Answer Question

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online. Got a call the same week to set up a phone interview. The interview was easy, just basic interview questions..... Why do you want to work here?... What do you know about the company.... How did you hear about the position? etc. The position started before I graduated so I had to decline.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

As the other reviews state, they call you to just get a feel of why you want to work for the company. Its a 5-10 min phone call. After that they set a phone interview that lasts from 45-60 min long. It was about fives questions, and they said they would email me back if I got the job or not. Sadly, I did not.

Interview Questions
    • They asked interesting interview questions such as "name a time you had to explain to a customer about a industries they were a novice in". That question through me off, but I responded with my past work experience. Other questions were "Name a specific time you had to deal with a difficult and angry customer and what was the outcome?".   Answer Question

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Typically you will have a phone screen with a recruiter, takes 30-60 minutes and includes very basic questions: why Schwab, why this position, talk about prior experiences and how they align with job/company. This is fairly informal and is just to make sure you can speak to your resume basically. Then you may or may not get an invite into a "orientation" type program where 10-20 candidates will come to a meeting where you learn about benefits, culture, training, expectations, and then take a test to make sure you have basic math, interpersonal, typing, problem solving skills as well as a personality test. You then get a call back a couple days later and will know if you are going to be invited to manager interviews (2:1). These sessions are lots of questions that start with tell me about a time when... and it will be about a time where you failed, a time where you excelled, used technology to solve a problem or make a process better, went above and beyond. You will also get some questions about providing customer service and interacting with people. There won't be too much in the way of technical market questions (valuations, market mechanics, trading, strategies-unless you already have your licences in which case you can expect a few but nothing too deep). These last 60-75 minutes. You will then get a call from recruiter on a potential job offer a few days to a week later. Starting salaries are usually not negotiable, for brokers/bank reps you will not find your schedule out until after training.

Interview Questions
    • These are behavioral interviews. Have multiple scenarios memorized about a time when you failed, how did you create a positive from a negative, and how specifically you deal with a difficult situation or stress.   View Answer
    There is not a negotiation all starting salaries for entry level positions are the same. The only time you can really negotiate is at a manager/director level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2014.

Sent in a resume, had a minute call the next day, a weel later we had an hour long interview over the phone, then had to pass the SIFMA test and once I found out the results were good a day later I was scheduled to have a final interview with a couple of managers at the location.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give an example of a time where you had to fix a problem with a client and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2013.

One of the best and most thorough interview processes one can go through. As everyone has stated, it begins with an initial 5-10 minute phone call, followed by about a 45 minute phone interview the next week or so. If you are successful in the phone interview, they will ask you to come in for an interview with 2 hiring managers. Be able to answer behavioral questions, and know about the company and the specific position in which you applied.

Set salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

The interview process was quite extensive with an initial 5 minute phone interview, a second, longer phone interview, an on-site SIFMA exam, and a final one hour on-site interview. Schwab has clearly made strides to make sure that they find the right people, which is something I take as a good sign. They are also superb in selecting people to walk you through the interview process. My hiring manager was detailed, personable, engaging, and empathetic. Questions were quite standard in the longer phone interview and on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations for this position. It was set before I even applied.