Charles Schwab

Updated Nov 7, 2014

2.9

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Applied online. Got a call the same week to set up a phone interview. The interview was easy, just basic interview questions..... Why do you want to work here?... What do you know about the company.... How did you hear about the position? etc. The position started before I graduated so I had to decline.

Other Interview Reviews for Charles Schwab

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

As the other reviews state, they call you to just get a feel of why you want to work for the company. Its a 5-10 min phone call. After that they set a phone interview that lasts from 45-60 min long. It was about fives questions, and they said they would email me back if I got the job or not. Sadly, I did not.

Interview Questions
    • They asked interesting interview questions such as "name a time you had to explain to a customer about a industries they were a novice in". That question through me off, but I responded with my past work experience. Other questions were "Name a specific time you had to deal with a difficult and angry customer and what was the outcome?".   Answer Question

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Typically you will have a phone screen with a recruiter, takes 30-60 minutes and includes very basic questions: why Schwab, why this position, talk about prior experiences and how they align with job/company. This is fairly informal and is just to make sure you can speak to your resume basically. Then you may or may not get an invite into a "orientation" type program where 10-20 candidates will come to a meeting where you learn about benefits, culture, training, expectations, and then take a test to make sure you have basic math, interpersonal, typing, problem solving skills as well as a personality test. You then get a call back a couple days later and will know if you are going to be invited to manager interviews (2:1). These sessions are lots of questions that start with tell me about a time when... and it will be about a time where you failed, a time where you excelled, used technology to solve a problem or make a process better, went above and beyond. You will also get some questions about providing customer service and interacting with people. There won't be too much in the way of technical market questions (valuations, market mechanics, trading, strategies-unless you already have your licences in which case you can expect a few but nothing too deep). These last 60-75 minutes. You will then get a call from recruiter on a potential job offer a few days to a week later. Starting salaries are usually not negotiable, for brokers/bank reps you will not find your schedule out until after training.

Interview Questions
    • These are behavioral interviews. Have multiple scenarios memorized about a time when you failed, how did you create a positive from a negative, and how specifically you deal with a difficult situation or stress.   View Answer
    There is not a negotiation all starting salaries for entry level positions are the same. The only time you can really negotiate is at a manager/director level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2014.

Sent in a resume, had a minute call the next day, a weel later we had an hour long interview over the phone, then had to pass the SIFMA test and once I found out the results were good a day later I was scheduled to have a final interview with a couple of managers at the location.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give an example of a time where you had to fix a problem with a client and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2013.

One of the best and most thorough interview processes one can go through. As everyone has stated, it begins with an initial 5-10 minute phone call, followed by about a 45 minute phone interview the next week or so. If you are successful in the phone interview, they will ask you to come in for an interview with 2 hiring managers. Be able to answer behavioral questions, and know about the company and the specific position in which you applied.

Set salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

The interview process was quite extensive with an initial 5 minute phone interview, a second, longer phone interview, an on-site SIFMA exam, and a final one hour on-site interview. Schwab has clearly made strides to make sure that they find the right people, which is something I take as a good sign. They are also superb in selecting people to walk you through the interview process. My hiring manager was detailed, personable, engaging, and empathetic. Questions were quite standard in the longer phone interview and on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations for this position. It was set before I even applied.

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

A 2-3 mins phone interview first. And was told to receive an email in one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2013.

I filled out the online application for the broker trainee program, and took an online personality assessment right after. Was sent an email about a week later inviting me to have a brief 3-5 min phone interview. After that, i was scheduled for a longer, 45 minute phone interview with a different recruiter. Be sure to know a lot about Schwab, and have examples of behavioral responses for STAR type interview questions. Passed that interview, then was asked to come in for a SIFMA exam, which consisted of 30 logic questions (easy), and 27 financial math problems (a little harder since I was rusty with math by hand). Passed the SIFMA, and two days later was scheduled for an in person interview with 2 hiring managers. They were great, and really portrayed the culture of Charles Schwab well. They askes STAR type questions also, and we spoke candidly for a while about hobbies, future goals, etc. After passing that interview, i was sent an email saying that i was a finalist for the position, and that i had to fill out an application/background check. I did that on a thursday morning, and exactly a week later I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • When is the last time you took notice of market forces/conditions, and how did you act upon them to produce a favorable outcome?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pay is 40k/year to start, with an average yearly bonus of circa 5k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

The process took approximately 1.5 months. I found out about the position through my university's career services. After applying via Schwab's website, they will send you a link to assess your personality. A week later, I received an e-mail from a coordinator to set up a brief (3-5 minutes) phone interview. She wanted to know what I knew about the company and position and why I was interested in applying. You will know if you'll move on to the next round of interview because they will asked you to schedule a 40-50 minutes interview immediately after. I interviewed with the company's recruiter the following week. Be sure to know all you can about the company and the position. I did research by looking at their website and what other people are saying about them. I also looked at how their customers are rating them and what kind of complaints they have about the company's services/products so I can formulate appropriate questions for the recruiter to show that I'm well prepared. Also, study your resume if you haven't already done so because you will be asked plenty of questions about your education and previous experience. KNOW HOW TO ANSWER BEHAVIORAL INTERVIEW QUESTIONS (STAR method) and be prepared for follow-up questions. Have 2-3 questions to ask the recruiter! If you interview successfully, the recruiter will ask you to come into their office to take the SIFMA (a two part assessment which will gauge how likely you are to pass the Series 7/63 exams), which I did a week later. I was e-mailed a day later saying that I had passed. The recruiter called me the day after to set up an interview with 2 hiring managers. I interviewed the week after. I prepped by looking at the company's website (again), I Googled a SWOT analysis of Schwab to see what their strengths and weaknesses are so I am able to discuss the future direction of the company if necessary (this shows them that you are looking to work for them long-term even if you don't plan to). I met with a seasoned manager and a new manager who was promoted not long prior. They first asked me what I knew about the company and why I wanted to work with them. Then, for the next 30-45 minutes was spent on behavioral-style interview questions. They have a list of questions to pick from. Be sure to have specific examples "of a time when...." questions and what YOU did as a result. Always say "I" when answering these questions. Emphasize your ability to communicate and the love to help others as this is what they want in a potential employee. I turned the interview around by asking them questions about the company and position. A day later, the recruiter called to let me know that the managers would like to move onto the next process which is a background check. It takes about 5 business days. Everything checked out and I was offered the position.

I would recommend you go through all the Broker Trainee interviews posted on here and try to answer them as the majority were asked during the interviews. If you feel extra nervous about the interview, record yourself as if you were being interviewed. This will help you pick up any bad interview habits that you might not notice. Also, it will allow you to practice and assess yourself. Try being interviewed by friends, professor, or colleagues. The more prepared you are the better.

Interview Questions
    • Phone/Person: Why Schwab?

Phone/Person: What do you know about the company?

Phone: Name a time you had to go above and beyond to help a customer.

Phone: Tell me a little more about your [experience at the last company].

Person: Tell me about a time when you had to get a group to to cooperate with what you are doing. Tell me about a time when you had to get a group, outside of your own, to cooperate. Tell me about a time when you had to explain a technical term to someone who was not familiar with it. Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you dealt with it.

SIFMA: I don't remember the exact questions, but be sure to study logic questions (multiple choice answers with a) necessarily true b) necessarily true but not false c) not enough info given [never the case] d) necessarily false but not true e) necessarily false) and financial-related math questions (stock split, return rates, rate comparisons, percentage, etc). Yes, you are required to add, subtract, multiply, and divide by hand. Approximately 26 logic questions (30 minutes given) and 27 math questions (1 hour given).

View Answers (2)
    The offer was non-negotiable. It was made clear from your initial application that the salary is "take it or leave it."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2012.

Filled out their online profile and attached my resume and cover letter. I was then prompted to take a personality test on the internet. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a 5 minute phone screen. At the end of the phone screen she asked me if I could do a 45 minute interview the next day. I should have prepared more for the interview but I was short notice. Know the position well. I did not make it pass this stage but she told me a skills test was next followed by a 1:1 with a hiring manager at the Indianapolis office. Overall the interview was good practice.

Interview Questions
    • Several behavioral questions about customer satisfaction. Be prepared with SPAR responses. Tell me about a time you pleased a unhappy customer? Can you give me another example?   Answer Question