Charles Schwab

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2011.

Interview Details – I remember having a phone interview with the managing director over the position and one of the other directors. Once I completed that I was invited to an in person interview, in which, I interviewed with the VP over the department, the three directors in the department at the time, and the senior manager on the team I would be working in. I was onsite at Schwab for 6 hours. Since I have been hired the interview process has become even more burdensome with more phone interviews. It was clear to me now, that during the interview process the managers didn't really know what they wanted out of the position and, honestly, I see this commonality with many of the other positions in Schwab. They really don't know what they want.

Interview Question – It was difficult to tailor my answers to the position they were hiring for because they didn't really know what they wanted out of the position. It appeared to me they were looking for generic skills for the position plus a certain personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy I dealt with a recruiter who spoke to the managing director regarding salary and such.

Denver, CO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2010.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter and had a phone interview. Then moved to the office for a face to face with 2 managers that asked questions on how you would handle specific issues and how you resolved the issues.

Interview Question – hardest questions came from the phone interview - lots of actual situations good or bad and how you dealt with them   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Information Technology Interview

Information Technology
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in May 2014.

Interview Details – Found posting on professional society website. Applied directly to the company. Received a phone call from the talent manager and talked for 40 minutes about the position and my motivations for applying. The phone call went well, and I received a follow-up call the next day from the hiring manager to set up an interview with her. That interview is coming up.

Interview Question – I did not expect the compensation question in the first phone call. I fumbled through my answer because I had not done any meaningful salary research yet.   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2013.

Interview Details – The first thing to note is the process takes a long time. I submitted my resume online with a referral and it took three weeks to hear from HR. The first call was a five minute "Get to know you" call. The next call with HR last over an hour, focusing on my qualifications and my potential at Schwab. Then there was the face to face interview which went into customer service-oriented detail questions (think S.T.A.R. answers). Then SIFMA. Then job.

Interview Question – They really don't ask too many technical questions - Schwab will train you. They look for if you're a good for the company. Customer service oriented, friendly, personable and outspoken. That's what they need.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating - RegReps all start at the same floor salary.

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2014.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview and was leaving for school within 3 days. They worked with me very quickly and got an in office interview with 2 hiring managers. Went very well, passed a background check and offered the internship.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult, lot of talking about past experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview was on phone, second interview was in person

Interview Question – How would you handle an employee who refuses suggestions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Senior Staff Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the managing director who did an initial phone interview to gauge the breadth of my skills. The next morning I was contacted by the company recruiter to go over a bit more detail about the position. She then setup a technical phone interview with the managing director, lead software architect and a technical director. The following day the director flew up to Denver for an onsite interview with the managing director of the project management group. I received an offer two days later.

It took about 2 weeks from the time I applied to getting the initial contact for the managing director. I had 3 interviews over a six day period, with an offer within 10 days of the initial contact.

Interview Question – What is a parallel query, when would you use it and under what conditions would it not be a good choice?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – When I spoke with both the managing director and recruiter I told them what my current salary was and shared my current benefits and associated costs. When the offer came in it would have been a lateral move (actually about a 5% decrease factoring in lower benefits and bonus structure). I countered with a range 8-12% higher and was told they would discus it and get back to me in the next two days.

I didn't hear anything for a week and never received a reply after 2 follow up contacts over a two week period following the offer.

The real issue was that I should have been brought in as a technical director based on my skills and background, but they either were not willing or able to change the job level.

Director Interview

Director
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – The hiring process took a very long time. I had given up on hearing back from them when I got an offer.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They low-ball you on the offer.. I countered and they accepted.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process were pretty standard compared with other firms I have worked or interviewed with. The whole process took about three months from the date of first interview to acceptance. There is an initial phone conversation about the role to see if you are a good fit, then a more formal phone interview, followed by a face-to-face with two managers within the firm. Anywhere from a few weeks to a month afterward, you will be informed of the decision and provided details on compensation, training, start dates, U4s, etc.

Interview Question – Both the phone and face-to-face questions were pretty standard behavioral questions. "Tell us the most difficult time you..." or "Give us an example of a time you.." type questions. Pretty straightforward with no curveballs. You will actually likely be asked the same questions on both interviews, so feel free to recycle your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation on the offer.

Broker Trainee Interview

Broker Trainee
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was quite extensive with an initial 5 minute phone interview, a second, longer phone interview, an on-site SIFMA exam, and a final one hour on-site interview. Schwab has clearly made strides to make sure that they find the right people, which is something I take as a good sign. They are also superb in selecting people to walk you through the interview process. My hiring manager was detailed, personable, engaging, and empathetic. Questions were quite standard in the longer phone interview and on-site interview.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about Schwab.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for this position. It was set before I even applied.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Charles Schwab

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!