Charles Schwab Interview Questions in Denver, CO

2.8

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in May 2014.

Found posting on professional society website. Applied directly to the company. Received a phone call from the talent manager and talked for 40 minutes about the position and my motivations for applying. The phone call went well, and I received a follow-up call the next day from the hiring manager to set up an interview with her. That interview is coming up.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect the compensation question in the first phone call. I fumbled through my answer because I had not done any meaningful salary research yet.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2014.

Did a phone interview and was leaving for school within 3 days. They worked with me very quickly and got an in office interview with 2 hiring managers. Went very well, passed a background check and offered the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult, lot of talking about past experiences.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in December 2013.

Initial interview was on phone, second interview was in person

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an employee who refuses suggestions.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

The hiring process took a very long time. I had given up on hearing back from them when I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    They low-ball you on the offer.. I countered and they accepted.

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2013.

I was contacted by the managing director who did an initial phone interview to gauge the breadth of my skills. The next morning I was contacted by the company recruiter to go over a bit more detail about the position. She then setup a technical phone interview with the managing director, lead software architect and a technical director. The following day the director flew up to Denver for an onsite interview with the managing director of the project management group. I received an offer two days later.

It took about 2 weeks from the time I applied to getting the initial contact for the managing director. I had 3 interviews over a six day period, with an offer within 10 days of the initial contact.

Interview Questions
    • What is a parallel query, when would you use it and under what conditions would it not be a good choice?   View Answer

When I spoke with both the managing director and recruiter I told them what my current salary was and shared my current benefits and associated costs. When the offer came in it would have been a lateral move (actually about a 5% decrease factoring in lower benefits and bonus structure). I countered with a range 8-12% higher and was told they would discus it and get back to me in the next two days.

I didn't hear anything for a week and never received a reply after 2 follow up contacts over a two week period following the offer.

The real issue was that I should have been brought in as a technical director based on my skills and background, but they either were not willing or able to change the job level.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview consisted of two rounds over the phone with 3-4 people. Hiring manager was very detailed (being a PM herself) and was looking for a good fit on her team. Other attendees were not very prepared and mainly asked follow up questions to my responses. Questions were not difficult and focused on PM methodologies, coordinating resources and tracking financials and dealing with conflicts within a team.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. They were most interested in how I managed resources in the past and supported working team environment with examples.   Answer Question

Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

The interview process was quite extensive with an initial 5 minute phone interview, a second, longer phone interview, an on-site SIFMA exam, and a final one hour on-site interview. Schwab has clearly made strides to make sure that they find the right people, which is something I take as a good sign. They are also superb in selecting people to walk you through the interview process. My hiring manager was detailed, personable, engaging, and empathetic. Questions were quite standard in the longer phone interview and on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations for this position. It was set before I even applied.

Registered Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2013.

The first thing to note is the process takes a long time. I submitted my resume online with a referral and it took three weeks to hear from HR. The first call was a five minute "Get to know you" call. The next call with HR last over an hour, focusing on my qualifications and my potential at Schwab. Then there was the face to face interview which went into customer service-oriented detail questions (think S.T.A.R. answers). Then SIFMA. Then job.

Interview Questions
    • They really don't ask too many technical questions - Schwab will train you. They look for if you're a good for the company. Customer service oriented, friendly, personable and outspoken. That's what they need.   Answer Question
    No negotiating - RegReps all start at the same floor salary.

CS&S Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2013.

As detailed by others, brief phone conversation followed by an approx. one hour phone interview. Didn't hear back, but I followed up with the recruiter and he moved me on to the next stage. Rather than taking the SIFMA assessment next, as most others had done, I had an interview with two team managers from the Denver office. Lots of behavioral questions; just have a few good anecdotes about your customer service experience handy. From there, I took the SIFMA, which consisted of confusing logic questions that just must be read carefully and math that focused heavily on profit and interest. Later that day, I received a call from a recruiter telling me that I passed and conditionally offering me the job if I passed a background screen and credit check.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time a relationship got started off on the wrong foot, and what you did to correct it   Answer Question
    Take it or leave it, 40k base pay with bonus potential and a possible 10% shift differential.

Registered Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2012.

The hiring and interview process were pretty standard compared with other firms I have worked or interviewed with. The whole process took about three months from the date of first interview to acceptance. There is an initial phone conversation about the role to see if you are a good fit, then a more formal phone interview, followed by a face-to-face with two managers within the firm. Anywhere from a few weeks to a month afterward, you will be informed of the decision and provided details on compensation, training, start dates, U4s, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Both the phone and face-to-face questions were pretty standard behavioral questions. "Tell us the most difficult time you..." or "Give us an example of a time you.." type questions. Pretty straightforward with no curveballs. You will actually likely be asked the same questions on both interviews, so feel free to recycle your answers.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation on the offer.