Charles Schwab

Charles Schwab Interview Questions in Englewood, CO

2.5

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2013.

I filled out the online application for the broker trainee program, and took an online personality assessment right after. Was sent an email about a week later inviting me to have a brief 3-5 min phone interview. After that, i was scheduled for a longer, 45 minute phone interview with a different recruiter. Be sure to know a lot about Schwab, and have examples of behavioral responses for STAR type interview questions. Passed that interview, then was asked to come in for a SIFMA exam, which consisted of 30 logic questions (easy), and 27 financial math problems (a little harder since I was rusty with math by hand). Passed the SIFMA, and two days later was scheduled for an in person interview with 2 hiring managers. They were great, and really portrayed the culture of Charles Schwab well. They askes STAR type questions also, and we spoke candidly for a while about hobbies, future goals, etc. After passing that interview, i was sent an email saying that i was a finalist for the position, and that i had to fill out an application/background check. I did that on a thursday morning, and exactly a week later I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • When is the last time you took notice of market forces/conditions, and how did you act upon them to produce a favorable outcome?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pay is 40k/year to start, with an average yearly bonus of circa 5k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Short, 3 min phone interview. A week later had a regular phone interview that covered my resume. Invited to take a assessment: 30 math, 30 logic questions. "passed" the assessment and had face to face interview with 2 managers.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly straightforward. Describe a situation when you had to think creatively or outside the box to solve a problem. Were you successful? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in May 2012.

Applied online, in a less then a week got an email to schedule a 5-10 minute initial screening. They just ask simple questions to get a feel about you. They tell you right there wether you will proceed after it, just be upbeat and know study what they give you.

They then schedule you to talk with the head of talent acquisition, they give you a a week or two to find a date possible to talk for 30-40 minutes. They give you everything you need to know just read it and know what they looking for. They want to know about your customer service skills and situations where you went above and beyond for a customer.

Again, they will let you know if you will proceed to the next step which is the meeting/phone interview with two managers or more and the SIFMA assessment test if you do broker trainer. Do not worry if you fail the SIFMA for the broker trainer you can ask to be considered for the CSR postion. Just do well in your interview with management. KNOW WHO CHUCK IS lol some dont even know CEO/ Founder. Also smile and ask questions that are more open at the end, get them to talk like... how has your career path been since begin with the company or talk about current events, at the time we talked about Facebook IPO and effect of the economy in the work industry.

SIFMA they get a email right away if you fail/pass. ( study logic questions and fractions and stock splits). They will let you know if you pass in 3 days or less. They will then run a background check that will take 7-10 days that will check employment, education, and residence (they check local police departments) then low/high credit extended to you me = credit card n car loan. They also check any revolving credit open and any pass dues. They do not check Credit score, and you can opt in to get a copy of the report.

SO you dont get frustrated on wait, ask how long is the process and when is a estimated time to hear back after the background check is done. I had to wait 2 weeks, went nuts waiting lol.

Took me 2 months because i had to wait for till after finals and i opted in to visit the place in person instead of a phone interview. If you just graduated the diploma will hold up your background check cause u have to request to get it release asap.

After everything is done, talent acquisition meets with hiring director to discuss if they wish to extend an offer.

They call you and ask if you can verbally accept and will send UPS paperwork 3-5 business days (give current address).

Open bottle of wine you made it :) hope this helps. I tried to be as detailed as possible, since people put bits and pieces. IDK about a drugtest i will update this once i know for sure :).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself/ your passion for finance?   View Answers (2)
    • If company xyz stock goes down 5% they will replace their CEO. If they stocks stay they same they will keep the CEO. The replaced the CEO in May.

Did the company stock go down 5%?

View Answer
    its non negotiable salary of 31k but its non-exempt meaning you get paid over time after 40 hours :) and 10% differential if u take a night shift. after 6 months you will be asked to discuss your future and your progression in the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter for about a 5 minute interview to review the position and find out why I wanted the job. Then we scheduled a longer phone interview with an HR recruiter. This phone interview was partly behavioral but mostly just a review of my resume. At the end of the interview we scheduled a 1:1 interview. I interviewed with 2 managers, and it was all behavioral questions. Like what was a time you went above and beyond a customer's needs. Each recruiter helped prepare me for the next interview. I researched Charles Schwab before both interviews and prepared for behavioral questions- though these are questions I'm quite used to. Then a few days later my recruiter called me back and we set up a time for the skills test. This skills test is hard! There are very few ways to prepare for this test, but review any financial equations. This test is a measure on your ability to pass the series 7. I was really appreciative to the fact that my recruiter was there to help me each step of the way, they really want you to succeed at each step. The managers were very laid back, answered all of my questions, and were very passionate about their positions as well as the company itself. That helped me solidify my decision to join the company.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you went above and beyond a customer's expectations?   View Answer
    • What did you do when a coworker/teammate was struggling, what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    This is a non-negotiable offer. However, I will say that I have not had previous experience in this side of the financial industry, but the salary was more than I got base at my collections job, so I was happy to accept. From my understanding though, this is lower than what others expected. I think that the great benefits and competitive 401k package makeup for that, but again, I have not had any previous experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2011.

I was interviewed by phone. part of the interviewer's decision may have been related to my phone voice/poor cell phone reception.

Interview Questions
    • What do you anticipate might be challenging for you in this position?   Answer Question

Registered Representative II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2011.

After submitting my application I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview addressed behavioral "tell me about a time when you had to..." questions as well as my experience. After the phone interview I was scheduled for a face to face interview at the call center in Englewood. Between the time of the phone interview and the face to face interview I submitted background-check related documents. The recruiter- my main point of contact- was always in touch and very reach-able. After the face to face interview I was given an exam to evaluate the likelihood of me passing securities industry licensing exams. Upon passing I was given an offer.

I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in May 2011.

Started with a 10 min brief phone interview, scheduled a longer 30 min phone interview. 30 minute phone interview consisted of mostly behavioral style questions. After the interview I was asked to do an online personality test, then was scheduled for a 1 hour face to face interview at the job site. Face to face interview consisted of more behavioral question's. Once the face to face interview was completed I was called to schedule the skills test. The skills test was about an hour and a half. After passing the test the job offer came.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult work related problem you have encountered and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2011.

Phone Interview: Just to go over resume and discuss expectations, have one question to ask interviewer. From there you setup a time to take the SIFMA exam.
    Second Interview/SIFMA Exam: Take two part exam in timed format, study math and logic questions.
    Panel Interview: Interviewed by two people in company, be prepared for behavioral format. i.e. Name a time when you were faced with a difficult task to make customer happy?

Interview Questions
    No Negotiation, offer is take or leave it. Three months of conditional employment until Series 7 is achieved.

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2010.

HAD PHONE INTERVIEW WIHT RECRUITER. THEN INTERVIEWED WITH MANAGER

SALARY WAS TOO LOW

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in March 2009.

After passing along my resume to a recruiter at a career fair I was contacted and told that I would be contacted again for a phone interview. The recruiter asked me some questions and really helped me prepare for the phone interview. After the phone interview I was contacted about an information session. The session was very informative. At the end of the session, I, along with the 15 other people or so there, took an easy math test. We weren't allowed to use calculators, but the test only requires a passing grade. The purpose is to see if you are likely to pass the series 7 exam that you train for during the first months of employment. Upon passing the exam I was asked back for a face-to-face interview that consisted of me and two Schwab employees. They ask behavioral interview questions. It was a very good experience. They prepare you as much as possible and you should be relaxed about interviewing with them.