Charles Schwab

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Intern Interview

Financial Services Intern
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online - interviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was first contacted through an initial phone call from a Human Resources representative. After this talk we scheduled a follow-up phone interview so that I could be screened further. I did well enough to move forward and earn a face-to-face interview. This took place at the branch location in Indianapolis. I was shown around all the facilities and afterwards the interview began. There were two managers interviewing me and they asked a variety of behavioral based interview questions (explain a time when you received good customer service, explain a time when you gave good customer service, explain a time when you demonstrated leadership, etc.) I received a call back the following day and after a thorough background check, I received a formal offer.

Interview Question – Can you think of a time when you demonstrated good customer service?   View Answer

Broker Interview

Broker
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – You are invitied to a 5 minute phone screen with a sourcing specialist. If you pass that interview you are scheduled to a 45 minute phone interview with a recruiter. If you pass that interview then you are invited to take an assessment onsite and interview with a team of 3 people with one of them being the hiring manager.

Interview Question – How do you feel about an overnight work schedule?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was not interested in participating in shift bids. Its setup more as a call center than it is a brokerage firm.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2013.

Interview Details – One of the best and most thorough interview processes one can go through. As everyone has stated, it begins with an initial 5-10 minute phone call, followed by about a 45 minute phone interview the next week or so. If you are successful in the phone interview, they will ask you to come in for an interview with 2 hiring managers. Be able to answer behavioral questions, and know about the company and the specific position in which you applied.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set salary

Very Difficult Interview

Customer Service Representetive Interview

Customer Service Representetive
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – I applied onlinee ,I was contacted 2 sdays later fior an initial phone Interview which lasted 5-10 minutes, they wanted to know why i was interested in working in the financial Services Industry.After the initial phone Interview I was scheduled for a second phone Intercview which lasted for an hour ,A lot of the questions were Behavioral based questions and they expect you to use the STAR aproach when answering .A couple days later i was emailed with a time for a face to face Interview with 2 managers .Was given the offer after interview,Be prepared ,do a lot of reasearch on the company.

Interview Question – Who are our competitors and why are you apllying with us not them ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotIATIONS BUT HTE PAY IS VERY GOOD.

Unlicensed Representative Call Center Interview

Unlicensed Representative Call Center
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online - interviewed at Charles Schwab in March 2013.

Interview Details – Behavioral based questions via phone and office interviews. A lot of focus on "Why Charles Schwab?"

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to use good judgement or logic. Did quick role play (skill test) during office interview. I had to pretend I was the rep and the interviewers were the client. Sat me in front of the computer and asked basic questions about deposits and line items. The final question requires you to perform a simple math calculation by adding together 4 deposit amounts. 2 managers interviewed me and seem very nice. Had a good sense of humor. Don't be fooled by the friendly demeanor. It is an interview. Not a friendly chat.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Very Difficult Interview

Client Services Representative Charles Schwab Interview

Client Services Representative Charles Schwab
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in November 2012.

Interview Details – Firts I filled out my online application and was directed to fillout an online assessment.I passed the assesment and recieved an email advising me of a 5 minute phone screen,passed the phone screen and scheduled for an hour Phone Interview for the following day,after the phone Interview I recieved an email with different time slots to choose a time to meet with 2 of th Hiring Managers,I came for the interview and they both asked questions for close to an hour, Afer a series of Questions they told me the next question was the most Important one and The Question was Why should we hire you,why do you think you are the best candidate for the position(he even told me this is a chance for you to sell yourself.PLEASE PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH KNOW THE COMPANY AND THE POSITION THEY ARE TRYING TO FILL DO A LOT OF HOMEWORK,you can't even take the ophone interview if you are unprepared.Also be prepared to answer behavioural based questions and know how to answer in a star approach.See some of the questions below,they may be worded differently but just be prepared to answer the se questions.Right now I am waiting for my Background Check.

Interview Question – What do you know about Schwab?

Why should we hire you?

Tell me about a time you had to make a group co-operate with you?

Tell me abt a time you had to make a group outside of your own co-operate with you?

Tell me about a time you gave exceptional customer Service,what were the results?

What were the biggest challenges you faced in your last position?

From your understanding of this position how does it relate to your past experiences?

Why do you want to work in the Financial Services Industry?

Tell me about a time when one of your team members was not perfoming their duties and what did you do,what were the results?

In your past experiences when have you failed and what have you learned from that experience?

Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you dealt with it?

What are your strengths?

What are your weaknesses?

When have you recieved superior customer service?

Tell me about a time you had to explain a technical term to someone who was not familiar with it ?

Questions you may ask :

What are the challenges to a new hire?
Do you promote further education/
Has you organization cut its staff in the last 3 years?
What qualities does one need to succed in this position?
Lastly what are the next steps in the process?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer is non negotiable $31 000 and top notch benefits with a lot of room for expansion right now just worry about getting your feet into the doors of Schwab.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, then filled out the online assessment. I then received a phone call from a woman for a brief, five-minute interview. She asked me about how I had heard about the company, what I knew about them, and why I wanted to enter the Broker Trainee Program. During this phone call, we scheduled a 45-minute phone interview.

The 45-minute interview was much more in-depth. We discussed my background, and discussed further my interest in the company and the position. It seemed to go well and, soon after, I received an email asking me to come in to perform a computerized assessment.

The assessment took nearly an hour, and asked a number of basic math questions. They were almost entirely based around arithmatic word problems.

Finally, I received a call to schedule an in-person interview. Two managers met me at the northside Indianapolis office. They were very pleasant and put me at ease, and we talked for just over an hour. They then took me on a tour of the facility. Although I was confident that the interview went well, I received an email about a week later that I had not been selected.

Despite not being chosen, the process was excellent. Everyone was warm and professional, and seemed to work hard to put me at ease. I still think Charles Schwab would be a great company to work for, and recently applied for the broker trainee program again when it opened up.

Interview Question – The primary topic in all of our interviews was customer service. Everyone I spoke to emphasized that customer service was really the focus of the company and the position.   View Answer

Brokerage Service Representative - Unlicensed Interview

Brokerage Service Representative - Unlicensed
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email regarding an initial five minute phone screening. I was told that I had passed the initial phone screening and was sent on to the next phase. This was a 30-40 minute phone interview with the lead recruiter in Indianapolis. I was emailed two days afters this interview inviting me for an in-person interview with two of the hiring managers.

The in-person interview consisted of all behavioral based interview questions and, at the end, a "role-play" section where two mock call were placed. I believe this was just to get a feel for how you handle yourself on the phone.

The day after the in-person interview I was emailed and told that they wanted to do a background check because the hiring managers had recommended me for employment. This part took the longest. I had to wait almost two weeks to hear back from them regarding the background check and if they wanted to proceed.

Everything checked out and I was offered the position.

Here's my advice: really know what they're looking for... study the job position description and make sure you have examples that prove you line up with that. Be prepared to delve deep into your employment history and give examples of a time when...

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't any negotiation. It's 31,000 a year, plus bonus and overtime (non-exempt salary).

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out their online profile and attached my resume and cover letter. I was then prompted to take a personality test on the internet. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a 5 minute phone screen. At the end of the phone screen she asked me if I could do a 45 minute interview the next day. I should have prepared more for the interview but I was short notice. Know the position well. I did not make it pass this stage but she told me a skills test was next followed by a 1:1 with a hiring manager at the Indianapolis office. Overall the interview was good practice.

Interview Question – Several behavioral questions about customer satisfaction. Be prepared with SPAR responses. Tell me about a time you pleased a unhappy customer? Can you give me another example?   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in November 2011.

Interview Details – I posted my resume online. Someone called the next day for a five minute screen. Know why you are interested in the position and the company. Then you move on. The next day I had phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. The woman scheduled a time for me to come to Schwab and interview and take the SIFMA later that day. The SIFMA has about 30 logic questions and 27 math questions. The logic questions have about three sentences and a following statement that is either true, probably true, can't tell, probably false, or false. The math questions are lengthy. An example would be John has 60% in Stock A, 40% in Stock B and 500 stocks. Stock A has a rate of return of 7% and B has a rate of return of 5%. After a year, what is the percentage difference in return from Stock A? This is about as tough as it gets. Know how to multiply and divide decimals; that's about it.

Anyway, I passed that, but you need to understand something about Schwab. They test probably 10 people a day, and each one of those people has a final interview. Therefore, they are very, very choosy. I'm thinking about 10% of the interviewees are hired. Just a guess, and forget your qualifications, you have to interview the best. They gave me a problem and a theorist, and I had to simplistically solve the problem through the theorist's eyes like I would explain it to an ignorant customer. I hadn't learned the theories in over two years which was present on my resume, but hey, it was enough, because the rest of my interview was almost stellar, but it didn't matter.

It doesn't matter how well you explain yourself, answer the questions, or love the company. One mistake (doesn't matter how irrelevant the question is) and you're done, because there are really that many applicants that are given a shot. Oh yeah, and after you go through 3 interviews and 2 tests, you get an automated rejection letter, and no one you call is helpful when you want feedback. Forget that most people come here and say they received the offer. People who don't get the job are lot less likely to share their failures, but I hope I was able to help with the SIFMA since no one else explained it and I gave 90% of my questions below. Best to everyone.

Interview Questions

• Phone and In Person: Describe a time you went above and beyond for the customer. Phone: Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
  • In Person: Describe a second time you went above and beyond for the customer?   Answer Question
  • In Person and Phone: Why Schwab?   Answer Question
  • In Person: Describe a time you were criticized and how did you react?   Answer Question
  • In Person: What did you do when a co-worker was struggling, and what was the outcome? Challenging situation on the job and what was the outcome, how did you react?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charles Schwab interview questions and advice in Indianapolis, IN. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Charles Schwab employees and interview candidates.