Charles Schwab

3.1

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2014.

The process is just as it's been described by other interviewees, five minute phone screen, followed by a more in-depth hour long phone call with "tell me about a time when?" type of questions which should be answered in the STAR method. You will then be asked to come in and take the SIFMA exam, which if you can do basic arithmetic and answer logical word questions you will do fine.

Then there is the 2:1 manager interview on site. This is where my issues begin with this company and I hope someone from Schwab reads this in order to correct their mistakes. First off the person that I was told I would be interviewing with I didn't, which by my estimation is completely unprofessional. I'm the type that will go above an beyond to prepare for an interview so I had researched the individual that I was told I would interview with via social media in order to make small talk about his interests to exemplify just how passionately I wanted the position, which was obviously a waste of time. Then the two women (whom I didn't know their names or that they were going to be conducting the interview) showed up seven minutes late as I waited in the lobby like a schmuck. Schwab obviously thinks that its time is more valuable than mine. Upon doing the interview I exactingly, methodically dissected every question that they threw at me with poise, professionalism, energy, articulation and specificity. I ran circles around these women who were not professionally dressed or polished in any shape of the word. Their questions sounded like: "Name a time when, uuummm...., name a time when?" By the end of the interview I've never felt so confident about a position. However several hours later I received a call saying that they were not going to move forward with my application because there were candidates better suited for the position.

It's my perception from what I can gather that I was probably overqualified for the position. However they way overstate the qualifications because I had them all. I believe that they are looking for individuals who have less experience and are a little more moldable, and that's fine, however all I did during the interview was speak to my resume, which they had from the FIRST DAY of a month long process.

I think it's probably a great position for someone without experience and doesn't mind working potentially at 3:00 am on Christmas morning.

Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

You are invitied to a 5 minute phone screen with a sourcing specialist. If you pass that interview you are scheduled to a 45 minute phone interview with a recruiter. If you pass that interview then you are invited to take an assessment onsite and interview with a team of 3 people with one of them being the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about an overnight work schedule?   View Answer

I was not interested in participating in shift bids. Its setup more as a call center than it is a brokerage firm.

Financial Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2014.

I was first contacted through an initial phone call from a Human Resources representative. After this talk we scheduled a follow-up phone interview so that I could be screened further. I did well enough to move forward and earn a face-to-face interview. This took place at the branch location in Indianapolis. I was shown around all the facilities and afterwards the interview began. There were two managers interviewing me and they asked a variety of behavioral based interview questions (explain a time when you received good customer service, explain a time when you gave good customer service, explain a time when you demonstrated leadership, etc.) I received a call back the following day and after a thorough background check, I received a formal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Can you think of a time when you demonstrated good customer service?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2013.

One of the best and most thorough interview processes one can go through. As everyone has stated, it begins with an initial 5-10 minute phone call, followed by about a 45 minute phone interview the next week or so. If you are successful in the phone interview, they will ask you to come in for an interview with 2 hiring managers. Be able to answer behavioral questions, and know about the company and the specific position in which you applied.

Set salary

Customer Service Representetive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

I applied onlinee ,I was contacted 2 sdays later fior an initial phone Interview which lasted 5-10 minutes, they wanted to know why i was interested in working in the financial Services Industry.After the initial phone Interview I was scheduled for a second phone Intercview which lasted for an hour ,A lot of the questions were Behavioral based questions and they expect you to use the STAR aproach when answering .A couple days later i was emailed with a time for a face to face Interview with 2 managers .Was given the offer after interview,Be prepared ,do a lot of reasearch on the company.

Interview Questions
    • Who are our competitors and why are you apllying with us not them ?   Answer Question
    No negotIATIONS BUT HTE PAY IS VERY GOOD.

Unlicensed Representative Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab in March 2013.

Behavioral based questions via phone and office interviews. A lot of focus on "Why Charles Schwab?"

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to use good judgement or logic. Did quick role play (skill test) during office interview. I had to pretend I was the rep and the interviewers were the client. Sat me in front of the computer and asked basic questions about deposits and line items. The final question requires you to perform a simple math calculation by adding together 4 deposit amounts. 2 managers interviewed me and seem very nice. Had a good sense of humor. Don't be fooled by the friendly demeanor. It is an interview. Not a friendly chat.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Client Services Representative Charles Schwab Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in November 2012.

Firts I filled out my online application and was directed to fillout an online assessment.I passed the assesment and recieved an email advising me of a 5 minute phone screen,passed the phone screen and scheduled for an hour Phone Interview for the following day,after the phone Interview I recieved an email with different time slots to choose a time to meet with 2 of th Hiring Managers,I came for the interview and they both asked questions for close to an hour, Afer a series of Questions they told me the next question was the most Important one and The Question was Why should we hire you,why do you think you are the best candidate for the position(he even told me this is a chance for you to sell yourself.PLEASE PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH KNOW THE COMPANY AND THE POSITION THEY ARE TRYING TO FILL DO A LOT OF HOMEWORK,you can't even take the ophone interview if you are unprepared.Also be prepared to answer behavioural based questions and know how to answer in a star approach.See some of the questions below,they may be worded differently but just be prepared to answer the se questions.Right now I am waiting for my Background Check.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Schwab?

Why should we hire you?

Tell me about a time you had to make a group co-operate with you?

Tell me abt a time you had to make a group outside of your own co-operate with you?

Tell me about a time you gave exceptional customer Service,what were the results?

What were the biggest challenges you faced in your last position?

From your understanding of this position how does it relate to your past experiences?

Why do you want to work in the Financial Services Industry?

Tell me about a time when one of your team members was not perfoming their duties and what did you do,what were the results?

In your past experiences when have you failed and what have you learned from that experience?

Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you dealt with it?

What are your strengths?

What are your weaknesses?

When have you recieved superior customer service?

Tell me about a time you had to explain a technical term to someone who was not familiar with it ?

Questions you may ask :

What are the challenges to a new hire?
      Do you promote further education/
      Has you organization cut its staff in the last 3 years?
      What qualities does one need to succed in this position?
      Lastly what are the next steps in the process?

Answer Question
    Offer is non negotiable $31 000 and top notch benefits with a lot of room for expansion right now just worry about getting your feet into the doors of Schwab.

Brokerage Service Representative - Unlicensed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

I applied online and received an email regarding an initial five minute phone screening. I was told that I had passed the initial phone screening and was sent on to the next phase. This was a 30-40 minute phone interview with the lead recruiter in Indianapolis. I was emailed two days afters this interview inviting me for an in-person interview with two of the hiring managers.

The in-person interview consisted of all behavioral based interview questions and, at the end, a "role-play" section where two mock call were placed. I believe this was just to get a feel for how you handle yourself on the phone.

The day after the in-person interview I was emailed and told that they wanted to do a background check because the hiring managers had recommended me for employment. This part took the longest. I had to wait almost two weeks to hear back from them regarding the background check and if they wanted to proceed.

Everything checked out and I was offered the position.

Here's my advice: really know what they're looking for... study the job position description and make sure you have examples that prove you line up with that. Be prepared to delve deep into your employment history and give examples of a time when...

Interview Questions
    There isn't any negotiation. It's 31,000 a year, plus bonus and overtime (non-exempt salary).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2012.

Filled out their online profile and attached my resume and cover letter. I was then prompted to take a personality test on the internet. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a 5 minute phone screen. At the end of the phone screen she asked me if I could do a 45 minute interview the next day. I should have prepared more for the interview but I was short notice. Know the position well. I did not make it pass this stage but she told me a skills test was next followed by a 1:1 with a hiring manager at the Indianapolis office. Overall the interview was good practice.

Interview Questions
    • Several behavioral questions about customer satisfaction. Be prepared with SPAR responses. Tell me about a time you pleased a unhappy customer? Can you give me another example?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in November 2011.

I posted my resume online. Someone called the next day for a five minute screen. Know why you are interested in the position and the company. Then you move on. The next day I had phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. The woman scheduled a time for me to come to Schwab and interview and take the SIFMA later that day. The SIFMA has about 30 logic questions and 27 math questions. The logic questions have about three sentences and a following statement that is either true, probably true, can't tell, probably false, or false. The math questions are lengthy. An example would be John has 60% in Stock A, 40% in Stock B and 500 stocks. Stock A has a rate of return of 7% and B has a rate of return of 5%. After a year, what is the percentage difference in return from Stock A? This is about as tough as it gets. Know how to multiply and divide decimals; that's about it.

Anyway, I passed that, but you need to understand something about Schwab. They test probably 10 people a day, and each one of those people has a final interview. Therefore, they are very, very choosy. I'm thinking about 10% of the interviewees are hired. Just a guess, and forget your qualifications, you have to interview the best. They gave me a problem and a theorist, and I had to simplistically solve the problem through the theorist's eyes like I would explain it to an ignorant customer. I hadn't learned the theories in over two years which was present on my resume, but hey, it was enough, because the rest of my interview was almost stellar, but it didn't matter.

It doesn't matter how well you explain yourself, answer the questions, or love the company. One mistake (doesn't matter how irrelevant the question is) and you're done, because there are really that many applicants that are given a shot. Oh yeah, and after you go through 3 interviews and 2 tests, you get an automated rejection letter, and no one you call is helpful when you want feedback. Forget that most people come here and say they received the offer. People who don't get the job are lot less likely to share their failures, but I hope I was able to help with the SIFMA since no one else explained it and I gave 90% of my questions below. Best to everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Phone and In Person: Describe a time you went above and beyond for the customer. Phone: Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • In Person: Describe a second time you went above and beyond for the customer?   Answer Question
    • In Person and Phone: Why Schwab?   Answer Question
    • In Person: Describe a time you were criticized and how did you react?   Answer Question
    • In Person: What did you do when a co-worker was struggling, and what was the outcome? Challenging situation on the job and what was the outcome, how did you react?   Answer Question