Charles Schwab

Relevance Date Difficulty

Remote Desktop Specliast Interview

Remote Desktop Specliast
Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewers rotate frequently and are often with same level techs. Expect generic questions like "Name a time when you were under pressure and describe how you resolved it." You will be asked about your technical background but nothing specific.

Interview Question – Learn what the software in the job description is. For example: Remedy, Marimba, RDP, VDI, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Contracting company takes about $10/hr of your pay as a fee. You will end up roughly with $18-$21/hr. Negotiate on the high end, of course.

Manager Interview

Manager
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2011.

Interview Details – I remember having a phone interview with the managing director over the position and one of the other directors. Once I completed that I was invited to an in person interview, in which, I interviewed with the VP over the department, the three directors in the department at the time, and the senior manager on the team I would be working in. I was onsite at Schwab for 6 hours. Since I have been hired the interview process has become even more burdensome with more phone interviews. It was clear to me now, that during the interview process the managers didn't really know what they wanted out of the position and, honestly, I see this commonality with many of the other positions in Schwab. They really don't know what they want.

Interview Question – It was difficult to tailor my answers to the position they were hiring for because they didn't really know what they wanted out of the position. It appeared to me they were looking for generic skills for the position plus a certain personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy I dealt with a recruiter who spoke to the managing director regarding salary and such.

Very Easy Interview

Research Support Analyst Interview

Research Support Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied via the online site and had a phone interview that I thought went very well. I answered two situational questions "tell me about a time when" and then the recruiter ended the call. I did not get called in for an additional interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were responsible for something innovative.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Registered Representative Interview

Registered Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in April 2011.

Interview Details – This will be a behaviorial interview where you are expected to provide answers to situational scenarios. It will most likely be an interview with multiple managers. It is quite formal and you should dress up for the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with your manager. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes i negotiated a slightly higher salary.

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – The hiring process at Charles Schwab is a long process. After submitting my online application I received a assessment test to take to be submitted with my online application. After about a week I received an email to set up a short 5 minute phone call. This is a screen interview to see how much you know about Charles Schwab and to go over some of your skills.

After this phone call within the next couple of days to move forward to a second phone interview. Here they asked questions that allow you to express how your past experiences prepared you to handle situations that you may of face. Questions such as "tell me about a time where you went outside of your job description to assist a client."

After passing this step, I was then called to set up an face-to-face interview. Here I was interviewed by 2 mangers of the department. They both took turns on who asked questions. They had a page full of possible interview questions to choose from and took notes on your responses. It wasn't really a hard interview if you prepare and study about the company.

Be sure to also note any questions that you will want to ask at the end of the interview. They give you an opportunity to express what questions you have that may not of been answered or that you are unclear of.

A week later I received a phone call stating that I was a finalist and needed to undergo a background check. After your background check is submitted it is a long wait before they process all of the information. Don't feel bad if you have to wait 2 weeks before hearing anything.

Interview Question – There really isn't any difficult questions if you study about the company and prepare yourself properly prior to the interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Broker Trainee Interview

Broker Trainee

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – Typically you will have a phone screen with a recruiter, takes 30-60 minutes and includes very basic questions: why Schwab, why this position, talk about prior experiences and how they align with job/company. This is fairly informal and is just to make sure you can speak to your resume basically. Then you may or may not get an invite into a "orientation" type program where 10-20 candidates will come to a meeting where you learn about benefits, culture, training, expectations, and then take a test to make sure you have basic math, interpersonal, typing, problem solving skills as well as a personality test. You then get a call back a couple days later and will know if you are going to be invited to manager interviews (2:1). These sessions are lots of questions that start with tell me about a time when... and it will be about a time where you failed, a time where you excelled, used technology to solve a problem or make a process better, went above and beyond. You will also get some questions about providing customer service and interacting with people. There won't be too much in the way of technical market questions (valuations, market mechanics, trading, strategies-unless you already have your licences in which case you can expect a few but nothing too deep). These last 60-75 minutes. You will then get a call from recruiter on a potential job offer a few days to a week later. Starting salaries are usually not negotiable, for brokers/bank reps you will not find your schedule out until after training.

Interview Question – These are behavioral interviews. Have multiple scenarios memorized about a time when you failed, how did you create a positive from a negative, and how specifically you deal with a difficult situation or stress.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is not a negotiation all starting salaries for entry level positions are the same. The only time you can really negotiate is at a manager/director level.

Registered Representative Interview

Registered Representative
Denver, CO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2010.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter and had a phone interview. Then moved to the office for a face to face with 2 managers that asked questions on how you would handle specific issues and how you resolved the issues.

Interview Question – hardest questions came from the phone interview - lots of actual situations good or bad and how you dealt with them   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Very Easy Interview

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in April 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring manager has more influence over the decision than the consensus of a group but be careful of how much 'gloss' it is presented during the 'courting' period. If the manager wants your skills bad enough, a lot of the unexpected shortfalls will be glossed over. Typical for marketing, only the good side will be shown to persuade one to view things with a rosy glass. Questions such as, "tell me about your goals," "how would you contribute," etc.

Interview Question – it was a straight forward interview without hard-hitting questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no room for salary upside so start at a high point of the position range

Registered Representative II Interview

Registered Representative II
Englewood, CO

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting my application I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview addressed behavioral "tell me about a time when you had to..." questions as well as my experience. After the phone interview I was scheduled for a face to face interview at the call center in Englewood. Between the time of the phone interview and the face to face interview I submitted background-check related documents. The recruiter- my main point of contact- was always in touch and very reach-able. After the face to face interview I was given an exam to evaluate the likelihood of me passing securities industry licensing exams. Upon passing I was given an offer.

Interview Question – What is your least favorite type of music?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

Interviewed at Charles Schwab

Interview Details – The Interviewer did most of the talking. He only asked two questions. He also described another open position and adked which one I would like more. The interview lasted a little over two hours. Received a call from HR and negotiated 2k over the offer.

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!