Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Broker Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Sifma exam, they asked me what my best overall customer experience was. They also wanted to see how I was able to come up with answers to questions that would make me think of ways of solving difficult problems

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you feel like you exceled at your job   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

I wasn't licensed when I applied for the position, so they had me take a test that was supposedly able to determine my ability to pass the Series 7. Wasn't difficult- was a test to see how I thought.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Contacted for initial phone screen within three days of applying. Very basic questions about previous jobs, computer skills, customer service experience. Interviewer asked if I had done research on the company and the position. A week and a half later, I received an email to schedule another phone interview with the same person as the first interview. Similar questions, but more in depth with specific scenario related questions. A week later I was contacted by phone to have an in person interview. I had my interview with three managers in a small office. It was very intimidating, but they were all three very friendly. They asked me very specific questions regarding my research into the company and the position. This interview lasted a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to take feedback from a supervisor that you did not agree with.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you had a difficult customer interaction. What did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very firm offer, no room for negotiation. Inquired about flexibility in pay.

Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2015.

Interview

I haven't made it to the next stages, but I just completed my first phone interview. I spoke with Amy, and she was such a delight to talk to. I don't know that I've had such a positive experience during an interview as the one I just had. I felt so strongly about the interaction that I wanted to write a review immediately. Even if I don't get hired, I feel that the conversation I had was still worth having. If this is any indication of what working for Charles Schwab would be like, then I'm extremely excited.

Interview Questions

• Several behavioral questions: Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult situation, and what was the result?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Really easy, phone screening then you do an in person. They lied about the salary, saying one number on the phone then coming in almost 10 grand lower in the official offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

I applied for the FCA role after visiting their website. I did not have a connection at Schwab, nor did I have any introduction through my university, job fairs, or networking events. If you know anyone that works there reach out to them. They get a bonus for recommendations and it will help you ALOT. The entire process for me was over the phone. With this position, you will be doing the all of your work over the phone until you graduate the program, so it is very important to use a clear voice and talk well. Asking questions and engaging conversation will make you look better overall. The first interview I had was with a talent acquisition member. It was pretty basic and flowed more like a conversation than an interview. Know your resume because you are going to go through that as well. Simple questions like: why Schwab? where do you want to be in 5 years? what are your interests? This interview lasted 20 minutes. The second interview was with 2 VP's, of a department I do not remember, and it was heavily behavioral questions. This interview was much more intense and did not contain many breaks. Once I answered one question, the other interviewer would ask me another. There were a few situation questions as well. Use the STAR method and you should get along just fine. Make sure not to drag on too much because again, these interviews also test your skills with telephone communication. Some questions: Tell me about a time you have to manage many tasks and how did you do it? a time you showed leadership? a time you solved a problem? a time someone was angry with you and how you handled it? ect.. Try to use stories that will be relevant to the job you are applying for!!! Some small talk at the end followed and this just goes back to all phone skills i mentioned before. They want to see you be able to form some kind of relationship over the phone. But don't force a conversation either! This interview lasted 45-60 minutes. The last interview was with a branch advisor. This was a combination of behavioral questions and questions about yourself. It was very similar to the second interview but much shorter and mine seemed much more relaxed. Small talk again after the interview. This interview lasted 25 minutes. I was told I would hear back in about a week. But, 4 hours later I got a call saying they wanted to proceed with a background check and drug test. I personally did not get drug tested and I heard rumors they had a problem with whoever they outsourced to. Some of the people that were hired at the same time as me did get tested so I'm not sure what the deal was. After another week I was offered the job. NOTE: I applied in February and accepted the offer in June. I had to be pretty stubborn in reaching out to them as some of my emails did not get replies. So if they don't get back to you one week don't be intimidated to send another. I did this multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with an unpleasant customer/client/person?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

HRIS Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Mostly asked situational questions. Had two ladies interview me, when I was under the impression there would only be one. Easy interview, laid back. Took the full hour to conclude the interview. I was under the impression I would receive a call within one week. I never received an email or a phone call.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in HR? How do you prioritize? Tell me a time when you weren't able to meet a deadline..?   Answer Question

Advisor Services Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

The telephone interview lasted 45 minutes, and covered questions related to employment history. The recruiter also asked why Schwab would be a good fit for you. The recruiter explained certain aspects of the company as well as the culture. The recruiter seemed knowledgeable of what the positions responsibilities, and the salary range for the market.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Interview

It was a standard interview process. Perhaps the strangest part was that Schwab does not do drug screens for their employees, which for a firm of its size and the rigor of the background check I thought was a bit odd.

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Charles Schwab (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview which was followed by going in for a in person interview. Background check was very through. It took over 3 weeks to hear back from the recruiter with an offer.