Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

Account Solutions Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Contacted for initial phone screen within three days of applying. Very basic questions about previous jobs, computer skills, customer service experience. Interviewer asked if I had done research on the company and the position. A week and a half later, I received an email to schedule another phone interview with the same person as the first interview. Similar questions, but more in depth with specific scenario related questions. A week later I was contacted by phone to have an in person interview. I had my interview with three managers in a small office. It was very intimidating, but they were all three very friendly. They asked me very specific questions regarding my research into the company and the position. This interview lasted a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to take feedback from a supervisor that you did not agree with.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you had a difficult customer interaction. What did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very firm offer, no room for negotiation. Inquired about flexibility in pay.

Financial Consultant Academy Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

I applied for the FCA role after visiting their website. I did not have a connection at Schwab, nor did I have any introduction through my university, job fairs, or networking events. If you know anyone that works there reach out to them. They get a bonus for recommendations and it will help you ALOT. The entire process for me was over the phone. With this position, you will be doing the all of your work over the phone until you graduate the program, so it is very important to use a clear voice and talk well. Asking questions and engaging conversation will make you look better overall. The first interview I had was with a talent acquisition member. It was pretty basic and flowed more like a conversation than an interview. Know your resume because you are going to go through that as well. Simple questions like: why Schwab? where do you want to be in 5 years? what are your interests? This interview lasted 20 minutes. The second interview was with 2 VP's, of a department I do not remember, and it was heavily behavioral questions. This interview was much more intense and did not contain many breaks. Once I answered one question, the other interviewer would ask me another. There were a few situation questions as well. Use the STAR method and you should get along just fine. Make sure not to drag on too much because again, these interviews also test your skills with telephone communication. Some questions: Tell me about a time you have to manage many tasks and how did you do it? a time you showed leadership? a time you solved a problem? a time someone was angry with you and how you handled it? ect.. Try to use stories that will be relevant to the job you are applying for!!! Some small talk at the end followed and this just goes back to all phone skills i mentioned before. They want to see you be able to form some kind of relationship over the phone. But don't force a conversation either! This interview lasted 45-60 minutes. The last interview was with a branch advisor. This was a combination of behavioral questions and questions about yourself. It was very similar to the second interview but much shorter and mine seemed much more relaxed. Small talk again after the interview. This interview lasted 25 minutes. I was told I would hear back in about a week. But, 4 hours later I got a call saying they wanted to proceed with a background check and drug test. I personally did not get drug tested and I heard rumors they had a problem with whoever they outsourced to. Some of the people that were hired at the same time as me did get tested so I'm not sure what the deal was. After another week I was offered the job. NOTE: I applied in February and accepted the offer in June. I had to be pretty stubborn in reaching out to them as some of my emails did not get replies. So if they don't get back to you one week don't be intimidated to send another. I did this multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with an unpleasant customer/client/person?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

HRIS Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Mostly asked situational questions. Had two ladies interview me, when I was under the impression there would only be one. Easy interview, laid back. Took the full hour to conclude the interview. I was under the impression I would receive a call within one week. I never received an email or a phone call.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in HR? How do you prioritize? Tell me a time when you weren't able to meet a deadline..?   Answer Question

Advisor Services Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

The telephone interview lasted 45 minutes, and covered questions related to employment history. The recruiter also asked why Schwab would be a good fit for you. The recruiter explained certain aspects of the company as well as the culture. The recruiter seemed knowledgeable of what the positions responsibilities, and the salary range for the market.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Interview

It was a standard interview process. Perhaps the strangest part was that Schwab does not do drug screens for their employees, which for a firm of its size and the rigor of the background check I thought was a bit odd.

Participant Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX).

Interview

There is an initial phone interview to gauge your interest in the company/position, then they schedule you for a 40-60 minute phone interested view where they are primarily looking for examples of situations with customers or other related scenarios and a basic knowledge of Charles Schwab history and how it aligns with your goals. After that the talent rep schedules an in person interview which is with 3 hiring managers. It basically consists of the same types of questions as the phone interview only more in depth and expect to explain how situations were handled, how they resolved, and what the root causes could have been. It really helps to have knowledge of the company and to talk about what you find inspiring or what drew you to Schwab.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance when you went above expections?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

I applied online approximately one month ago. A few days after I applied, I received an email requesting a phone screen. Then came the phone interview with the recruiter. I did not enjoy this process whatsoever. I looked at my job searching account the night before and it said my application was on inactive status (the job was on hold--I found this out thanks to Google). So I assumed I didn't get the interview. The next morning, this person surprised me with the phone interview. It did not go well and the recruiter kept correcting me and then emphasized the "no" at the end of the phone call. No wonder this company is so far down the Fortune 500 List...435, to be exact? I will be avoiding this organization in the future. They need to seriously redo their HR system. Thanks for all the miscommunications.

RIA Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

Three rounds of phone interviews, most of the questions asked were fit questions. The first interview was a screening call with a person in the HR department. Overall the process itself was not overly difficult but there is a good amount of preparation that needed to be done in order to ensure that you will do well in all the interviews

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to work in a group setting   Answer Question

Active Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

T interview. 1st a call over the phone to schedule a phone interview. Then a phone interview with HR. Then you come in a interview with 2 hiring managers. They only care about customer service so that is what they look for. A person that is outright nice...

Interview Questions

• Name what you did in an adverse situation and how you solved it.   1 Answer

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

The interview process took a bit of time but in the end was worth the lengthy process. There was an initial online quiz, then a phone screen, then an interview with managers and then another interview with different managers.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when you dealt with clients successfully in the financial services sector...   Answer Question