Charles Schwab

207 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – I applied for this position in April and it is now July of the same year. I have had 3 interviews, a computer based test, and am now awaiting the results of a background check. The process is long! But everyone I have dealt with has been great! You first start out with one person who does a 3-5 phone interview and asks you fairly basic questions. If they like you they will set you up for a real phone interview at the end. My second interview was with a new person and I spoke to her for about an hour. All I can say is follow what they tell you to a T. They send you an email to prepare you for each and every step. Also, be very specific about your past experiences. After this interview, you will either have a phone interview with two of your hopefully future managers. This again lasts an hour and you go over a lot of the same stuff from the second interview but in more detail. I found it good to use funny stories for any questions asking about negative experiences from past jobs. They ask quite a bit of those. I was able to answer the question but also show them that negative experiences in the work place don't really get to me. Even got them to laugh quite a bit and started a conversation. By the end they loved me. My talent advisor contacted me by email within the day to let me know everything went great. They then sent me to a branch office to take the SIFMA assessment which was weird. I have a 4 year finance degree so the math portion was easy. However, the logic questions were hit or miss. Anyway, my talent advisor called me the same day and said everything went great. She then emailed me a link to submit my background check information online to which i completed. Now Im just waiting on that to return. Everything has taken a long time but has also gone very smoothly.

Interview Question – Tell us about a situation in the work place where you did something that you expected not to work but ended up working out?   Answer Question

V P Financial Consultant Interview

V P Financial Consultant
Dallas, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – Applied online and had follow up conversation and interview with Regional HR person. Next did online application with more detail, spoke again with HR over telephone. Next had telephone conversation with local Branch Manager. Then had face to face interview with local Branch Manager. Then had face to face interview with 2nd local Branch Manager. Then received offer via e-mail from Regional HR.

Interview Question – Most questions revolved around sales skills and prospecting techniques I used. Additional questions about my willingness to work at night and conducting after hour seminars.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Their salary is very structured so not much room to negotiate.

Remote Desktop Specliast Interview

Remote Desktop Specliast
Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewers rotate frequently and are often with same level techs. Expect generic questions like "Name a time when you were under pressure and describe how you resolved it." You will be asked about your technical background but nothing specific.

Interview Question – Learn what the software in the job description is. For example: Remedy, Marimba, RDP, VDI, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Contracting company takes about $10/hr of your pay as a fee. You will end up roughly with $18-$21/hr. Negotiate on the high end, of course.

Manager Interview

Manager
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in July 2011.

Interview Details – I remember having a phone interview with the managing director over the position and one of the other directors. Once I completed that I was invited to an in person interview, in which, I interviewed with the VP over the department, the three directors in the department at the time, and the senior manager on the team I would be working in. I was onsite at Schwab for 6 hours. Since I have been hired the interview process has become even more burdensome with more phone interviews. It was clear to me now, that during the interview process the managers didn't really know what they wanted out of the position and, honestly, I see this commonality with many of the other positions in Schwab. They really don't know what they want.

Interview Question – It was difficult to tailor my answers to the position they were hiring for because they didn't really know what they wanted out of the position. It appeared to me they were looking for generic skills for the position plus a certain personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy I dealt with a recruiter who spoke to the managing director regarding salary and such.

Very Easy Interview

Research Support Analyst Interview

Research Support Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied via the online site and had a phone interview that I thought went very well. I answered two situational questions "tell me about a time when" and then the recruiter ended the call. I did not get called in for an additional interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were responsible for something innovative.   Answer Question

Registered Representative Interview

Registered Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in April 2011.

Interview Details – This will be a behaviorial interview where you are expected to provide answers to situational scenarios. It will most likely be an interview with multiple managers. It is quite formal and you should dress up for the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with your manager. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes i negotiated a slightly higher salary.

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – The hiring process at Charles Schwab is a long process. After submitting my online application I received a assessment test to take to be submitted with my online application. After about a week I received an email to set up a short 5 minute phone call. This is a screen interview to see how much you know about Charles Schwab and to go over some of your skills.

After this phone call within the next couple of days to move forward to a second phone interview. Here they asked questions that allow you to express how your past experiences prepared you to handle situations that you may of face. Questions such as "tell me about a time where you went outside of your job description to assist a client."

After passing this step, I was then called to set up an face-to-face interview. Here I was interviewed by 2 mangers of the department. They both took turns on who asked questions. They had a page full of possible interview questions to choose from and took notes on your responses. It wasn't really a hard interview if you prepare and study about the company.

Be sure to also note any questions that you will want to ask at the end of the interview. They give you an opportunity to express what questions you have that may not of been answered or that you are unclear of.

A week later I received a phone call stating that I was a finalist and needed to undergo a background check. After your background check is submitted it is a long wait before they process all of the information. Don't feel bad if you have to wait 2 weeks before hearing anything.

Interview Question – There really isn't any difficult questions if you study about the company and prepare yourself properly prior to the interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Broker Trainee Interview

Broker Trainee

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – Typically you will have a phone screen with a recruiter, takes 30-60 minutes and includes very basic questions: why Schwab, why this position, talk about prior experiences and how they align with job/company. This is fairly informal and is just to make sure you can speak to your resume basically. Then you may or may not get an invite into a "orientation" type program where 10-20 candidates will come to a meeting where you learn about benefits, culture, training, expectations, and then take a test to make sure you have basic math, interpersonal, typing, problem solving skills as well as a personality test. You then get a call back a couple days later and will know if you are going to be invited to manager interviews (2:1). These sessions are lots of questions that start with tell me about a time when... and it will be about a time where you failed, a time where you excelled, used technology to solve a problem or make a process better, went above and beyond. You will also get some questions about providing customer service and interacting with people. There won't be too much in the way of technical market questions (valuations, market mechanics, trading, strategies-unless you already have your licences in which case you can expect a few but nothing too deep). These last 60-75 minutes. You will then get a call from recruiter on a potential job offer a few days to a week later. Starting salaries are usually not negotiable, for brokers/bank reps you will not find your schedule out until after training.

Interview Question – These are behavioral interviews. Have multiple scenarios memorized about a time when you failed, how did you create a positive from a negative, and how specifically you deal with a difficult situation or stress.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is not a negotiation all starting salaries for entry level positions are the same. The only time you can really negotiate is at a manager/director level.

Registered Representative Interview

Registered Representative
Denver, CO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in February 2010.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter and had a phone interview. Then moved to the office for a face to face with 2 managers that asked questions on how you would handle specific issues and how you resolved the issues.

Interview Question – hardest questions came from the phone interview - lots of actual situations good or bad and how you dealt with them   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Very Easy Interview

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
South San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in April 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring manager has more influence over the decision than the consensus of a group but be careful of how much 'gloss' it is presented during the 'courting' period. If the manager wants your skills bad enough, a lot of the unexpected shortfalls will be glossed over. Typical for marketing, only the good side will be shown to persuade one to view things with a rosy glass. Questions such as, "tell me about your goals," "how would you contribute," etc.

Interview Question – it was a straight forward interview without hard-hitting questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no room for salary upside so start at a high point of the position range

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!