Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was organized and detailed. I first received an e-mail to schedule a telephone interview, then once the interview was completed, they followed-up with me in ~10 days. I didn't get the position, but the interaction with the recruiter was very positive throughout. Ultimately, I didn't continue with the process because they needed the position to be out-of-state. The recruiter was prompt in her scheduled interview time, gave me realistic expectations about how it would go. It did run a little over the estimated time.

Interview Questions

• As a supervisor, tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult employee relation issue? I was also asked to describe my interview style.   1 Answer

Estate Planning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

There is no follow up with Schwab. You will wait for weeks and can only find out you've been rejected by logging on and checking your status. Can't they at least send an automated reject email?

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process went very smoothly. Applied online and got a call from HR recruiter for an initial phone screen. After that, had a call with the head of the team I applied for to talk about my experience and why I was interested in financial services. Lastly, brought in for an all day, in-office interview to speak with various people from around the firm and the rest of team that I applied for. Heard back within 2 week.

Interview Questions

• Why financial services? Why Schwab? Why did you leave your last job? Do you know anyone in San Francisco? Case question was asked.   Answer Question

Participant Services Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

30-40 minute phone interview asking about general questions of work history and experiences. Interviewer was very genuine and helpful. Knowing more about the company helps when talking to the interviewer.

AFSP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Began with a university recruiter process. Submit your resume online and wait for a couple weeks for them to get back to you then you meet two recruiting managers as your first interview. If you pass that round you will be invited to meet the hiring managers. If that interview goes well then they will extend an offer contingent upon drug test and background check

Associate Software Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews which would be followed by a possible in person interview. First is a screening interview and the second is an interview with a hiring manager and possibly others.

Interview Questions

• Cutting edge technologies that I had used.   1 Answer

Participant Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

It took an entire month after I applied before they contacted me by email. This was to set up a time to talk on the phone. This phone conversation is only to schedule your actual phone interview in a few days. After the phone interview I was moved on to the in person interview. This was the following DAY! Apparently it doesn't usually move this fast. I was told to learn all about the company and the current market and all the competitors, which I stayed up learning like a college kid cramming for an exam. When I went to the interview, it was a panel of three guys. They were all very new to the company, less than five years, and all three were in management less than a year. Rookie stuff and I was not impressed. Nevertheless, I wanted the job so I did my best and the interview went well. Very nice guys, and we seemed to click. They talked as if I had the job already and their HR person would send me a notice in a few days to get the ball rolling for the training class to start in a month. I did get a notice back from HR, to tell me that they had gone with someone else. Maybe I'm not Schwab material, and maybe the hiring process is a convoluted sack of crap. I certainly was not quizzed on any of the material I was told to learn, and I was not impressed with their overall handling of the entire interview process. Seems like a good company, but also it seems like all young people working there and no older management, like people leave when they have used up Schwab to get their start. Overall the interview process is not hard, but I don't know how they base their selection on who to hire.

Interview Questions

• What is a mistake that you have made before in the workplace and what have you done to correct your actions?   Answer Question

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

A young woman who was nice, but giddy, called to pre-screen me. I was a former employee and she asked some questions, but not more than 15 minutes worth of interaction. Didn't get an actual interview and even though she said my resume would be passed to another hiring manager - that NEVER happened. I get a feeling this firm is being "over consulted" and local hiring managers have very little actual hiring authority until the high paid consultants and HR bureaucratic staff of tangled webs sets the candidate free. Perhaps they didn't want an former employee, but they process was disjointed, somewhat confusing and overall very NEGATIVE!

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last firm? Why do you want to work at SCH?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab in May 2015.

Interview

The introductory phone screen was equivalent to a telephone survey. It was not conducted by the recruiter, but by someone in a phone center who asked scripted questions and typed the responses. These responses were then passed on to the recruiter. My caller was late. There was only 10-15 minutes allocated to the call and she seemed in a hurry because she was behind schedule. I felt rushed, like I was playing a TV game show. The questions were generic and not directly related to the day-to-day duties for the position.

Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Orlando, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

First Interview was a 10-15 minute phone conversation/interview to discuss my interest level in Charles Schwab, (Hint- know the basic of the position and have general interest in working in Finance). Once you pass the first interview, the recruiter will schedule a second phone interview a week later which will last 45-60 minute. The interviewer will asked behavioral and scenario-type questions, he/she will question you on your knowledge of the position and your knowledge of the company. (Hint- know the Star method,research the company and prepare some questions to ask, the recruiter will ask several times if you have any questions for her, so have at-least 4-6 questions prepared ). If you past the second phone interview, a week later a hiring manager will email you to setup an in-person interview with 2 managers and you will also get a chance to shadow someone for 30 minutes. The managers will have you go through your resume, ask what you know about the position and off course you will be asked 6-8 behavioral interview questions, but at the end you'll get a chance to asked them questions, So make sure you research the company some more and know the culture. 1 Week later you will receive an email to schedule a final phone interview with a hiring manager, it really a conversation about your interest, so know the position real well, and off course he/she will ask a couple behavioral interview question, I hope by now you get the pattern, you must prepare, prepare, prepare for Behavioral interview questions and you have to know the Culture... one week later I received a call saying they want to move on with me, you have to go through a drug test, credit test, and background test. after the results come back Schwab will officially make an offer to you. last hint of the day send a thank you letter to everybody you interview with, and make sure it personalize to each person that you speak with.

Interview Questions

• Customer Service experience that went poorly and how you handled the situation ? What the most innovation solution you have ever come with for a work problem? Give one example when you went out of your way to provide superior customer service. What is your most significant accomplishment to date?   Answer Question