Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

Associate Software Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews which would be followed by a possible in person interview. First is a screening interview and the second is an interview with a hiring manager and possibly others.

Interview Questions

• Cutting edge technologies that I had used.   1 Answer

Participant Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

It took an entire month after I applied before they contacted me by email. This was to set up a time to talk on the phone. This phone conversation is only to schedule your actual phone interview in a few days. After the phone interview I was moved on to the in person interview. This was the following DAY! Apparently it doesn't usually move this fast. I was told to learn all about the company and the current market and all the competitors, which I stayed up learning like a college kid cramming for an exam. When I went to the interview, it was a panel of three guys. They were all very new to the company, less than five years, and all three were in management less than a year. Rookie stuff and I was not impressed. Nevertheless, I wanted the job so I did my best and the interview went well. Very nice guys, and we seemed to click. They talked as if I had the job already and their HR person would send me a notice in a few days to get the ball rolling for the training class to start in a month. I did get a notice back from HR, to tell me that they had gone with someone else. Maybe I'm not Schwab material, and maybe the hiring process is a convoluted sack of crap. I certainly was not quizzed on any of the material I was told to learn, and I was not impressed with their overall handling of the entire interview process. Seems like a good company, but also it seems like all young people working there and no older management, like people leave when they have used up Schwab to get their start. Overall the interview process is not hard, but I don't know how they base their selection on who to hire.

Interview Questions

• What is a mistake that you have made before in the workplace and what have you done to correct your actions?   Answer Question

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

A young woman who was nice, but giddy, called to pre-screen me. I was a former employee and she asked some questions, but not more than 15 minutes worth of interaction. Didn't get an actual interview and even though she said my resume would be passed to another hiring manager - that NEVER happened. I get a feeling this firm is being "over consulted" and local hiring managers have very little actual hiring authority until the high paid consultants and HR bureaucratic staff of tangled webs sets the candidate free. Perhaps they didn't want an former employee, but they process was disjointed, somewhat confusing and overall very NEGATIVE!

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last firm? Why do you want to work at SCH?   Answer Question

Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Orlando, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

First Interview was a 10-15 minute phone conversation/interview to discuss my interest level in Charles Schwab, (Hint- know the basic of the position and have general interest in working in Finance). Once you pass the first interview, the recruiter will schedule a second phone interview a week later which will last 45-60 minute. The interviewer will asked behavioral and scenario-type questions, he/she will question you on your knowledge of the position and your knowledge of the company. (Hint- know the Star method,research the company and prepare some questions to ask, the recruiter will ask several times if you have any questions for her, so have at-least 4-6 questions prepared ). If you past the second phone interview, a week later a hiring manager will email you to setup an in-person interview with 2 managers and you will also get a chance to shadow someone for 30 minutes. The managers will have you go through your resume, ask what you know about the position and off course you will be asked 6-8 behavioral interview questions, but at the end you'll get a chance to asked them questions, So make sure you research the company some more and know the culture. 1 Week later you will receive an email to schedule a final phone interview with a hiring manager, it really a conversation about your interest, so know the position real well, and off course he/she will ask a couple behavioral interview question, I hope by now you get the pattern, you must prepare, prepare, prepare for Behavioral interview questions and you have to know the Culture... one week later I received a call saying they want to move on with me, you have to go through a drug test, credit test, and background test. after the results come back Schwab will officially make an offer to you. last hint of the day send a thank you letter to everybody you interview with, and make sure it personalize to each person that you speak with.

Interview Questions

• Customer Service experience that went poorly and how you handled the situation ? What the most innovation solution you have ever come with for a work problem? Give one example when you went out of your way to provide superior customer service. What is your most significant accomplishment to date?   Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Orlando, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

I had 2 interviews. The first interview was a 30-40 minute phone interview with a talent rep. A lot of the phone interview was spent discussing the job. I was very impressed that the person conducting the interview actually knew a lot about the job. In my experience talent reps usually know very little about the jobs they are conducting interviews for; they tend to know only what the posting states. This interviewer had a lot of in-depth knowledge. She said she had been working closely with the hiring manager, so I think this really helped her in explaining the role to me. The questions during this interview were fairly typical (what do you know about the company, why us, etc). The standard questions to weed out the people who can't articulate what they want and who don't do their research. Something I really liked is the interviewer advised me at this phase of the process of the hiring salary range and asked if it was within my range. I liked this because I didn't want to go through a long interview process only to be offered a job outside of my range. Fortunately the range she gave was acceptable. The second interview was with the manager of the dept and the director of the dept. Lots of behavioral questions. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing took me by surprise. I spent a lot of time prior to the interview going through a couple of interview question books and picking out behavioral questions. I know how to answer behavioral questions, the issue is being able to suddenly pull the best examples from memory during the middle of an interview. So I picked out a ton of behavioral questions and thought of the best answer/example ahead of time so I could answer quickly and seem prepared on the day of the interview. My interview with the two was over an hour so this helped me considerably! If you are going to be in an interview for over an hour, you better be able to answer the questions and give relevant answers quickly (otherwise it will be the longest 1+ hour of your life). All in all, the interviews were average in difficultly. The key is to research the company, be able to articulate why Schwab, and research behavioral questions. Nothing hard at all, just long and you have to talk a lot.

Interview Questions

• It seems you have had a lot of success helping to turn team results around/improving results. What do you think were some of the keys to your success?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm not sure what the negotiation phase is like. I received an offer contingent upon my background check and drug test, so negotiations haven't started yet. I was given the general hiring range (it was an actual range) during my first interview, which made it easier to continue the interview process because I knew through the process that the salary would at least be in the range of what I needed (as opposed to getting to the end of the process and then finding out the salary). I do know I can negotiate within the range given to me, but until the background check and drug screen is completed they don't start the negotiations.

RIA Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn. First call was a quick one minute preview just setting up a time to conduct an interview. The next call was 45 minute call that asked multiple questions and got to know me a little more. Both of these people were not from where I applied to work, they were from Texas and Orlando. I am still in the interview process and haven't received any more interview dates.

Interview Questions

• Why Schwab? Give a customer service example. GIve a time when you were put in a situation you didn't have control over, what was your reaction and what was the results.   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

As with any financial services company, it is a long hiring process. Schwab is very collaborative and you will meet all the players from different areas of the company that you will be working with. It will start with a phone screening from the hiring manager followed by in person interviews with approximately 6 key players in Austin, TX. If you make it past this round, you will progress to interviews in Ohio. It was very professional and a positive experience.

Staff Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Process started with a recruiter phone screening, followed by a somewhat technical but mostly behavioral phone screening by one of the architects. Onsite was panel style divided into two hours. First were mainly behavioral and abstract reasoning questions. Some "Imagine if..." questions and Socratic exercises. Everyone one was very nice and accommodating, although it can be a bit unnerving. Next hour was more heavily technical with some whiteboard and general questions pertaining to their stack and my resume. Whiteboard problem was easy I just kept over-thinking it. Overall the interview process was fairly benign and I enjoyed speaking with their team and learning about their process. Hiring manager went out of his way to speak with me at length and explain the organization and their culture.

MCT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the senior manager. Never got a response from my thank you email to a follow up email asking about the decision timeline. Was finally notified by email from HR that the position was filled internally. They posted for a 2nd opening for the same position. Emailed the senior manager if I was still being considered. Never got a response, so reapplied. They called me in for a 2nd interview which lasted 90 minutes. Again never got a response from thank you emails, never heard back when they said they would. Called after 3 weeks and still got no answer other than they would get back to me. Still waiting for a decision either way.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Financial Consultant Academy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a positive interview experience. The talent advisor was extremely organized and transparent. I originally applied in January & passed through two rounds of personality assessments. From there, I had a welcome conversation and 3 rounds of interviews. The thorough interview process was a true testament to Charles Schwab wanting to find candidates who are a good culture fit.