Charles Schwab

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

The hiring process took a very long time. I had given up on hearing back from them when I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    They low-ball you on the offer.. I countered and they accepted.

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

Since our team worked closely with other business partners, the Interview process included people from other departments who we would most likely work with. This was so they could gauge how well you would work with the partner. This part was actually enlightening because it gave an early sense of what the job involved.

The hiring process can be a little slow due to background checks and time needed for feedback.

Participant Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

3 interviews. Hard test- could have sworn I failed- didn't. 2 hour, 4 manager interview process. Went great.

no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2013.

One of the best and most thorough interview processes one can go through. As everyone has stated, it begins with an initial 5-10 minute phone call, followed by about a 45 minute phone interview the next week or so. If you are successful in the phone interview, they will ask you to come in for an interview with 2 hiring managers. Be able to answer behavioral questions, and know about the company and the specific position in which you applied.

Set salary

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2013.

I was contacted by the managing director who did an initial phone interview to gauge the breadth of my skills. The next morning I was contacted by the company recruiter to go over a bit more detail about the position. She then setup a technical phone interview with the managing director, lead software architect and a technical director. The following day the director flew up to Denver for an onsite interview with the managing director of the project management group. I received an offer two days later.

It took about 2 weeks from the time I applied to getting the initial contact for the managing director. I had 3 interviews over a six day period, with an offer within 10 days of the initial contact.

Interview Questions
    • What is a parallel query, when would you use it and under what conditions would it not be a good choice?   View Answer

When I spoke with both the managing director and recruiter I told them what my current salary was and shared my current benefits and associated costs. When the offer came in it would have been a lateral move (actually about a 5% decrease factoring in lower benefits and bonus structure). I countered with a range 8-12% higher and was told they would discus it and get back to me in the next two days.

I didn't hear anything for a week and never received a reply after 2 follow up contacts over a two week period following the offer.

The real issue was that I should have been brought in as a technical director based on my skills and background, but they either were not willing or able to change the job level.

Associate Software Applications Engineer Interview

Applied online. About 2 weeks later, had an initial phone interview. Lasted about a half hour and was basically just verifying what was written in my resume and that I had the required skills listed in the job announcement, At the end, the lady discusses the company and the typical benefits and pay range. They also ask you for desired salary range and let you know the next steps in the process. The next step was a phone interview with the hiring manager for this department. That was arranged for about a week later. This was only a little more technical. I was told that the next step,should I make it that far, was an in person interview with a few members of the development team and it would be more technical. No call back, however.

Interview Questions
    • What is relevant about your military experience to software engineering?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representetive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab.

I applied onlinee ,I was contacted 2 sdays later fior an initial phone Interview which lasted 5-10 minutes, they wanted to know why i was interested in working in the financial Services Industry.After the initial phone Interview I was scheduled for a second phone Intercview which lasted for an hour ,A lot of the questions were Behavioral based questions and they expect you to use the STAR aproach when answering .A couple days later i was emailed with a time for a face to face Interview with 2 managers .Was given the offer after interview,Be prepared ,do a lot of reasearch on the company.

Interview Questions
    • Who are our competitors and why are you apllying with us not them ?   Answer Question
    No negotIATIONS BUT HTE PAY IS VERY GOOD.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

The interview process was quite extensive with an initial 5 minute phone interview, a second, longer phone interview, an on-site SIFMA exam, and a final one hour on-site interview. Schwab has clearly made strides to make sure that they find the right people, which is something I take as a good sign. They are also superb in selecting people to walk you through the interview process. My hiring manager was detailed, personable, engaging, and empathetic. Questions were quite standard in the longer phone interview and on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations for this position. It was set before I even applied.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview consisted of two rounds over the phone with 3-4 people. Hiring manager was very detailed (being a PM herself) and was looking for a good fit on her team. Other attendees were not very prepared and mainly asked follow up questions to my responses. Questions were not difficult and focused on PM methodologies, coordinating resources and tracking financials and dealing with conflicts within a team.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. They were most interested in how I managed resources in the past and supported working team environment with examples.   Answer Question

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

A 2-3 mins phone interview first. And was told to receive an email in one week.