Charles Schwab Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.9

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in December 2013.

Initial interview was on phone, second interview was in person

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an employee who refuses suggestions.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Charles Schwab in March 2010.

The process was very hard, they asked a ton of questions. know your stuff.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2009.

I was located out of state and planning to relocate for the job so I had several phone interviews before a final in person interview. I interviewed with the hiring manager and at least 4 people on the team via phone. Some of the interviews with the team had 2 people on the line so it was very difficult to know who was asking the questions and to know who was answering my questions. I was flown out for the final interview with the VP of the group and it was a great experience, the team had already decided they liked me so they were basically giving me advice on what to say and not to say to the VP. They also had cookies brought in.

I did not negotiate but in retrospect, would recommend that you negotiate.

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Referred by a current employee. First interview, we went over my resume nothing crazy. Second interview was more intense, There was a skills test half math (financial math) half logic question cause i wasn't licensed to work in the industry yet. After The test i was interviewed by the branch manager, followed by the operations manager, followed by a financial consultant. The branch manager is the one who asked the harder questions. The ops and consultant were more to see if they liked you. Be yourself when they interview you.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about some things in college you learned that makes you fit to be a financial consultant.   View Answer

Registered Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2013.

Phone screening followed by phone interview. Focused on behavioral questions centered around customer service. Then an invitation to the office for the SIFMA assessment to evaluate the likelihood of passing the licensing exams. If you pass that you're invited back for an in person interview. That one is also all behavioral based questions centered on customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple questions asking for specific experiences, how you handled them, and the outcome. So come prepared with multiple examples.   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

I applied on-line and was contacted in a few days by HR to arrange a longer call. The job was listed as a Managing Director for Schwab but it turned out to be for one of the subsidiaries. While that was disappointing, the remainder of the discussion was confounding. Although the job is in SF and I am in NY, I was asked if I would require relocation assistance, and that none was currently being offered: it wasn't part of the plan. I was then told that my salary was at the top of the range for the role, which could be a problem. So did they think I would consider relocating at my own expense while taking a pay cut for what was being advertised as an Executive role?

The recruiter informed me that she would be meeting with the hiring manager in a few days. After a week with no feedback I reached out to the recruiter who responded that she was still waiting to hear. Nothing since.

Very unimpressed with the organization based on my experience. It is inappropriate to engage individuals in the hiring process and to not provide any closure beyond unanswered correspondence.

Interview Questions
    • The position is in SF and you are in NY. Will you require relocation assistance?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

HR called, followed by a phone interview with a hiring manager. Everything went well, then flew to SF to interview there with a group of people. It turned out that the job is not a good fit for me, it seems that they also need to sort out details of job descriptions. Seems like unorganized.

Broker Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2013.

One of the best and most thorough interview processes one can go through. As everyone has stated, it begins with an initial 5-10 minute phone call, followed by about a 45 minute phone interview the next week or so. If you are successful in the phone interview, they will ask you to come in for an interview with 2 hiring managers. Be able to answer behavioral questions, and know about the company and the specific position in which you applied.

Set salary

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2013.

I was contacted by the managing director who did an initial phone interview to gauge the breadth of my skills. The next morning I was contacted by the company recruiter to go over a bit more detail about the position. She then setup a technical phone interview with the managing director, lead software architect and a technical director. The following day the director flew up to Denver for an onsite interview with the managing director of the project management group. I received an offer two days later.

It took about 2 weeks from the time I applied to getting the initial contact for the managing director. I had 3 interviews over a six day period, with an offer within 10 days of the initial contact.

Interview Questions
    • What is a parallel query, when would you use it and under what conditions would it not be a good choice?   View Answer

When I spoke with both the managing director and recruiter I told them what my current salary was and shared my current benefits and associated costs. When the offer came in it would have been a lateral move (actually about a 5% decrease factoring in lower benefits and bonus structure). I countered with a range 8-12% higher and was told they would discus it and get back to me in the next two days.

I didn't hear anything for a week and never received a reply after 2 follow up contacts over a two week period following the offer.

The real issue was that I should have been brought in as a technical director based on my skills and background, but they either were not willing or able to change the job level.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

The hiring process took a very long time. I had given up on hearing back from them when I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    They low-ball you on the offer.. I countered and they accepted.