Charles Schwab

Relevance Date Difficulty

Broker Trainee Interview

Broker Trainee
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in October 2013.

Interview Details – One of the best and most thorough interview processes one can go through. As everyone has stated, it begins with an initial 5-10 minute phone call, followed by about a 45 minute phone interview the next week or so. If you are successful in the phone interview, they will ask you to come in for an interview with 2 hiring managers. Be able to answer behavioral questions, and know about the company and the specific position in which you applied.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set salary

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Senior Staff Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the managing director who did an initial phone interview to gauge the breadth of my skills. The next morning I was contacted by the company recruiter to go over a bit more detail about the position. She then setup a technical phone interview with the managing director, lead software architect and a technical director. The following day the director flew up to Denver for an onsite interview with the managing director of the project management group. I received an offer two days later.

It took about 2 weeks from the time I applied to getting the initial contact for the managing director. I had 3 interviews over a six day period, with an offer within 10 days of the initial contact.

Interview Question – What is a parallel query, when would you use it and under what conditions would it not be a good choice?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – When I spoke with both the managing director and recruiter I told them what my current salary was and shared my current benefits and associated costs. When the offer came in it would have been a lateral move (actually about a 5% decrease factoring in lower benefits and bonus structure). I countered with a range 8-12% higher and was told they would discus it and get back to me in the next two days.

I didn't hear anything for a week and never received a reply after 2 follow up contacts over a two week period following the offer.

The real issue was that I should have been brought in as a technical director based on my skills and background, but they either were not willing or able to change the job level.

Director Interview

Director
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – The hiring process took a very long time. I had given up on hearing back from them when I got an offer.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They low-ball you on the offer.. I countered and they accepted.

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, took 3 weeks for interview. Position was paying below entry level wages in Orlando, FL complete waste of my time....

Interview Question – All questions started with "tell me about a time when" and panel interviewers were writing down just about everything said....felt like a lab specimen...   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – Since our team worked closely with other business partners, the Interview process included people from other departments who we would most likely work with. This was so they could gauge how well you would work with the partner. This part was actually enlightening because it gave an early sense of what the job involved.

The hiring process can be a little slow due to background checks and time needed for feedback.

Interview Question – How many gallons of gas do Californians use a day.   Answer Question

CSQ Interview

CSQ
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Charles Schwab in January 2009.

Interview Details – Staffing Agency contacted me. Interview in a few days. Phone call, and then 1:1.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult or unexpected. Much like Fidelity, the onus is on the team experience and ability to be a team player.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very narrow nregotiation room.

Participant Services Interview

Participant Services

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab.

Interview Details – 3 interviews. Hard test- could have sworn I failed- didn't. 2 hour, 4 manager interview process. Went great.

Interview Question – Your most difficult academic or workplace decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Registered Representative Interview

Registered Representative
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in June 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process were pretty standard compared with other firms I have worked or interviewed with. The whole process took about three months from the date of first interview to acceptance. There is an initial phone conversation about the role to see if you are a good fit, then a more formal phone interview, followed by a face-to-face with two managers within the firm. Anywhere from a few weeks to a month afterward, you will be informed of the decision and provided details on compensation, training, start dates, U4s, etc.

Interview Question – Both the phone and face-to-face questions were pretty standard behavioral questions. "Tell us the most difficult time you..." or "Give us an example of a time you.." type questions. Pretty straightforward with no curveballs. You will actually likely be asked the same questions on both interviews, so feel free to recycle your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation on the offer.

Vice President Ebusiness Technology Interview

Vice President Ebusiness Technology
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Charles Schwab in April 2009.

Interview Details – 5 rounds of interviews: 1. HR prescreen - phone; 2. HR interview - in person; 3. Peer, potential staff and customers - in person - all day; 4. Hiring manager - 1 hour; 5. Executive VP - 1 hour over lunch.

Interview Question – Asked questions about Interactive Voice systems - would be responsible for that portion of the business along with others.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer was higher than I expected so negotiation was not part of the hiring process. Schwab pays well.

Broker Trainee Interview

Broker Trainee
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Charles Schwab in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was quite extensive with an initial 5 minute phone interview, a second, longer phone interview, an on-site SIFMA exam, and a final one hour on-site interview. Schwab has clearly made strides to make sure that they find the right people, which is something I take as a good sign. They are also superb in selecting people to walk you through the interview process. My hiring manager was detailed, personable, engaging, and empathetic. Questions were quite standard in the longer phone interview and on-site interview.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about Schwab.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for this position. It was set before I even applied.