Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Updated Nov 14, 2014

2.5

Cafeteria Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in November 2014.

I applied online. Once the whole application was complete I was called the next day to take an assessment test which is required for the position before an interview. I spoke with one of the Admin assistants. We chatted about the position and test. She seemed pretty sure I would do well and get the job based on my application. She gave me the results of the test before I left and I scheduled an interview for the following week.

I interviewed with the cafeteria trainer and the head of Child Nutrition together. They asked several open ended questions and questions about my previous experience and how I would handle a difficult employee in front of students.

I interview Wednesday and was told on Friday that I had been recommend to HR for the position. I am not waiting on HR to do background check and give me the next set of instructions regarding drug and finger-print testing.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked some conversion questions and totally bombed 1 of the three questions. How many pints in a quart? I tried answering quickly. I know conversions but it takes me little time and I was caught off guard about this question since I had answered several like these on the assessment.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating phase. There is a range and HR will offer a pay rate within that range based on your experience. Still haven't received call from HR but was told by Child Nutrition that I have the job depending on outcome of background test, etc.

Senior Administrative Secretary Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Very confusing. Online application. Call the school and try to schedule an interview only to be informed the position has been filled, where as online the position still says open.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. You get what they give you! Take it or leave it.

Secondary Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Complicated hiring process. Overworked recruiters. Philosophy of Ed, technology, Common Core, discipline, degrees, why are you a teacher, what inspires you? What can you contribute to the school and school community?

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation phase.

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntersville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntersville, NC

I applied in-person – interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

I sent a resume directly to the school. Within a few days I was interviewed by the Principal and Assistant principal. She said she would call me within the week and she did. An offer was made.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation when you work for public schools.

Cafeteria Substitute Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Jennifer temps hire temporary staff for CMS. There were one interview. If they are satisfied then a three day training will be given for hands on experience. Based on the preference and job availability the candidate will be offered job.

4th Grade Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in July 2014.

School was very clean and staff was very professional. Interviewed with principal, former 4th grade teacher and gifted/talented teacher. Staff had written questions, and took detailed notes of my answer. Was told would have an answer by end of week, didn't receive a response until 3+ weeks later (after I had accepted something else). Staff was heavily involved with community/parental involvement.

Interview Questions

I did not hear back by the expected time frame. I assumed I did not receive and had accepted an offer from another organization.

Physical Education Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in July 2014.

I applied in early June and finally got a call for an interview the beginning of July. The principle was really nice and after the interview he said that the HR department would be the one notifying applicants about offers. I never heard anything back, I even emailed the principle and didn't get a response. I find it extremely unprofessional that they didn't make an effort to contact applicants even if they didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very laid back and informal interview. It was a very easy going conversation about the school and expectations of the position and then I talked about by experience.   Answer Question

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in July 2013.

Applied online, called in for an interview. Interview was with principal and lead teacher (normally a panel). I was asked about my experience, my educational philosophy, and my knowledge about the school.I was also asked how I would use data for lesson planning and assessment. I was also asked about how I differentiate according to ability in the classroom.

Interview Questions
    • None, questions seemed pretty standard. I was asked to walk them through my lesson planning process from beginning to end. That was a new question.   View Answer
    None, set pay scale based on education and years of experience.

Technology Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

The job they were talking about in the interview was not the job I ended up with.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in February 2013.

The HR process is long and unnecessarily cumbersome. They request information they don't use and never really look at.

Interview Questions
    • A time of conflict that I had. If you teach, you encounter conflict...that's school life.   Answer Question