Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

High School Math Teacher Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online through website and got calls back from three different school for interviews.

Interview Question – What would you do if a student in your class _________________? Fill in the blank with difficult situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take the job or leave it.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in March 2011.

Interview Details – Background check prior to interview. Attending training session for all Substitute Teachers, etc. as to Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools requirements, expectations.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Special Education Teacher
Huntersville, NC

I applied in-person - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in February 2010.

Interview Details – Spoke with principal over the phone. Completed application and mailed it in with resume, credentials.

Interview Question – What are you not good at?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Paid according to degree and years in service

Teacher Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in February 2013.

Interview Details – The HR process is long and unnecessarily cumbersome. They request information they don't use and never really look at.

Interview Question – A time of conflict that I had. If you teach, you encounter conflict...that's school life.   Answer Question

First Grade Teacher Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted on a Monday for an interview to be done the following day. I had applied for the job a few days earlier and was not expecting a call as quickly as I received one. The principal (who was the only interviewer) asked me if I could come the following day. I was coming from out of state but was actually in Charlotte that particular day for an unrelated event.

The principal did not appear professional, wearing a sweaty polo shirt while coming to the door. I actually mistook him for a custodian at first. The interview itself went very well although the pieces in my portfolio were not really looked at when I did bring them out. I was hired on the spot for a job beginning in a few weeks but was not told of the orientations I would have to attend, which led to unexpected trips to Charlotte in the coming days, limiting my time to prepare for a move.

I found the questions to be very straightforward and honest. The principal took me on a tour of the school following the actual interview. While he appeared to be a very good leader in the interview, the principal wound up being a very incompetent leader who managed to put on a very good show and cover up the problems at the school as well as his personal lack of managerial skills at the school level. This was unfortunate, as he made a very good first impression, leading me to choose that school over another at which I was recommended for hire later in the day.

The rest of the hiring process took place off-site and was difficult to schedule.

Interview Question – There were some questions about literacy instruction which required certain techniques to be at least known, if not practiced.   View Answer

Career and Technical Education Marketing High School Teacher Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in August 2009.

Interview Details – Piece of cake. My interview was very informal. I knew I had the job when I left the interview.

Interview Question – How would I deal with challenging students?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, based on education and years of experience chart.

Technology Representative Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.

Interview Details – The job they were talking about in the interview was not the job I ended up with.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1 hour long interview with principal, vice principals, and other teachers.

Interview Question – Tell us about an objective that was particularly difficult for the students to grasp and how you went about helping students to master the objective?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

EDUCATOR Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in August 2010.

Interview Details – Only one interview, panel desperately in need of a teacher. Panel interview group of three. Very chaotic at the time of interview. School culture considerate but one of subtle condescension, office staff kind. Work culture, very competitive, very serious especially with higher level classes. Lower level classes go by the seat of your pants air.

Interview Question – Give an example of how you would teach this lesson to a student with an IEP.   Answer Question

Classroom Teacher Interview

Charlotte, NC

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools in December 2008.

Interview Details – I was called on the phone about a resume and application I had sent about a month before. Since I was living in Michigan, my interview was held over the phone. Due to a clerical error, the principal interviewing me never called at the appointed time, so I figured that was it. Instead, she called around 8:30 pm to tell me her secretary had written I was supposed to be there in person at the appointed time. She asked if I could do the interview then. I agreed - it didn't go as well as I would have liked because I wasn't really in the right mode to be interviewed. When the appointed time had come and past, I sort of put down my guard, and this was not the best way to be interviewed. That said, it must have gone alright, because she made an offer and I accepted. The questions were largely things like, "How do you plan to teach," "What do you do to teach to a diverse group of students," etc. What you'd expect. Plan to use specific examples.

Interview Question – How do you develop a relationship with students?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask for more. You never know.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools employees and interview candidates.