Charming Charlie Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.1

Charmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charming Charlie.

I found out about job openings from their website. After I applies they contacted me maybe a week later to schedule a group interview. It was pretty straight forward. There were 4 of us and two people from the company. It took about an hour overall, and they didn't ask to personal of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was the last shopping experience you had were you felt an emotional connection.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charming Charlie.

I applied for one location online, but received a call from the General Manager at a different location the next day informing me that the position was filled at the other location but that her location was hiring and was closer to where I was living, so I took the interview.

I interviewed with the General Store Manager in person first, she was really sweet and we basically just went over my resume. Then she told me the details of the position and the store itself, we talked a lot about the various growth opportunities. It seemed as though we hit it off and I was looking forward to the idea of working with her.

Next, I interviewed over the phone with the district manager. She was also very friendly. She was more concerned with my experience in the field. She asked a lot of questions about managing people and how to track sales. We had a lot in common so we had a great chat. She let me know that she thought the company would want me to have more experience in retail management and that my college degree didn't necessarily help me much. I figured that, but it sort of sucks to think that it is virtually useless. That idea made me immediately start reconsidering the job entirely.

Next, I interviewed over the phone with the company's senior recruiter. She was a lot more technical than the other two ladies had been. She really got into detail about what the company expects as far as sales go. They use a conversion system where they basically look at how many people come into the store and how many people buy. They want around 25-35% of people to purchase something. We talked about my experience again in managing people and sales. She echoed the district manager's feeling that I may be a better fit for the Assistant Manager position with a quick path to promotion.

Finally, I met with the district manager in person. We had a great chat and she offered me a position working in a different store as an Assistant Manager, noting that I would probably be promoted the the Senior Manager within months. Unfortunately, the pay was too low for me to commute as far as the store that I was offered the position at. Therefore, I declined the job offer. I would definitely consider taking the job if it was at the location nearest my home because the lesser pay would outweigh a long commute.

Interview Questions
    • Just scenario questions about how you would handle certain situations when managing people, such as bad attitudes or lack in performance.   Answer Question

Pay was too low for the commute

Assistant Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online - interviewed at Charming Charlie in September 2014.

applied for this because new store was opening. the interviewer was rude and looked out the window the whole time. didn't listen to anything i was saying. other interviewer sat and took notes but never said anything. they had super colorful makeup and teased hair and were wearing leggings and tshirts.

Interview Questions
    • asked questions about job experience from many years ago.   Answer Question

Sales Associate, "Charmer" Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Charming Charlie in September 2014.

The process took eight days. I applied for the position. Got a call four days later. Interviewed with three managers and got a call the next day. The process is pretty simple.

Interview Questions
    There was a little negotiation. The starting rate is low. I did not get to the next dollar but I get a little bit higher. Just ask.

Sales Associate, "Charmer" Interview

The process was split in two parts.
    The first part I sat down with the manager of the store and talked about my personal intrest in the store, why i wanted to work there, my fashion intrests, my employment history, etc.

The second part, I talked with the assistant manager of the store. She came in and introduced herself and told me a few things about her life and then she asked me to tell her more about myself. Then she asked interview questions, some of which were hard to answer. When she was done asking questions, she took me out the main part of the store, where the manager had a shirt ready for me. I had to create an outfit with the shirt she had. They gave me 15-20 minutes to do so. When i was done she had me explain why i chose the accessories i did and asked me how i would handle it if a customer wanted to swap items out or didnt like a color choice.

After that, i got my stuff and left. She said the dm would call me.

GSM Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charming Charlie.

Interview process was retail standard having 2 face interviews at a SM and DM level then on for 2 more phone interviews with another DM and the Regional. There were a total of 4 interviews which was a pretty simple process.

Interview Questions
    • The only difficult question I ran into was the unexpected "Which celebrity is representative to your personal style"? I was prepared to talk business, #'s, strengths/opportunities, etc so as simple as some may think this question is, it caught me off guard.   View Answer
    There wasn't a negotiation phase, I was offered my asking salary. I would encourage candidates to make a fair and educated asking amount initially.

Sales Associate, "Charmer" Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Charming Charlie.

Basic interview questions-they will ask about you work history and how it applies to this position. They also have you pick out an outfit with accessories after giving a certain scenario.

Interview Questions
    • I guess building an outfit on the spot- they told me to build it for a 40 year old woman going to a wedding. I chose what I would personally wear, and they made me talk about why I chose the outfit and what I would say to convince them if they weren't sure about it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed-got a high starting base pay for a retail job

General Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charming Charlie in August 2014.

I applied 2 weeks ago and reached out to the store manager of one of the local stores to see when the new locations were set to open. If you want something, go for it, right? Great interview, she ask me very real questions, not the usual "Tell me a time were" type but actually took the time to find out if we (myself and the company) would be a good fit. First step of the hiring process. She also gave me insight in to how this district works and what her challenges were coming in to the role (I ask)

Interview Questions
    • Very pleasant interview. I have nothing to say negative.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Charming Charlie.

I filled the application out online and they got back to me within the week. We scheduled for an interview for the next day. The interview was a group interview, but it was only me and one other candidate. We were given a scenario and sent out into the store to create a complete outfit using the clothes and accessories in the store. We both were hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

Only offered minimum wage and I already had retail experience

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hamilton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Charming Charlie in July 2014.

This interviewing experience was horrible. The first interview I had the store manager asked normal questions, but was rude during the interview. She wouldn't make eye contact with me! She even told me that they look to hire older/ more experienced people for this position. You are retail. This isn't a CEO position. Afterwards she told me I had another interview to do with a store manager from different store. I didn't hear from anyone for 2 weeks! I received a call from the first manager saying that both of them had been on vacation and forgot to call. I accepted her apology but it seemed completely unorganized. I've never heard of anything like that. The second store manager was wonderful. She was a great lady and I enjoyed our conversation. After this second interview, I had a third interview with the district manager. Yes, a third interview! I had normal questions with this interview. After that, I called the store manager and let her know that the DM and I had our interview. She sounded very optimistic and said she would call me back as soon as they had made a decision...that was 2 weeks ago! I even called and the store manager said they were still discussing their decision with the regional manager and she would call me back. Still, she has not called me back. I feel they could have at least called me even if they were pursuing another candidate. I'm honestly upset that was I strung along for over a month. I could have gotten another job in that amount of time. Now I'm looking for other jobs since I haven't heard from them.

Interview Questions
    • These questions were not difficult or unexpected. It was just unexpected that I would have to do 3 interviews just to be disregarded. They were very unprofessional.   View Answer

Worked for Charming Charlie? Contribute to the Community!