Chatham Financial

Updated Oct 30, 2014
Updated Oct 30, 2014

3.7

Payroll Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Chatham Financial.

Chatham's interview process is rather intense & long.

I had 2 phone interviews with a recruiter, a 30 minute phone interview with a Chatham's Rep, an hour long phone interview with an H/R Rep & 2 employees.

I went to Chatham's office and was there for about 5 hours for in person interviews (4 separate 2 on 1 interviews which each took 45 minutes to an hour). I also met with 2 employees for a 30 minute interview off site on a different day.

I was tested on math, basic accounting/auditing skills and took a personality assessment. The interview process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions but they focus more on your personality and whether you'll fit in with your team than your actual skills and experience.   Answer Question

Hedging Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chatham Financial.

I had a phone-interview with a hiring representative. They called back a few weeks later for an interview at their Denver location. It was a panel interview with two individuals asking questions regarding hedging strategies, brain-teasers, (no behavioral questions) etc. Before going to the Interview, I took an accuracy and a math examination (no calculator, math word problems, taking averages). Overall, I liked the culture, values, atmosphere of the office; people were friendly, relax atmosphere (very casual attire... suit not necessary), open space, low-power distance organization etc.

Interview Questions
    • The brain teasers and the math exam (review your math). There was nothing difficult or unexpected; however, with the examinations and the interviews, it can feel like along day - make sure you eat something before going in.   Answer Question

Loan Data Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chatham Financial.

Chatham's interviewing process was very thorough, starting with a phone interview and then moving to multiple days of 4-5 two-on-one interviews and a math test. The interviewers were very friendly and asked questions ranging from very general to industry and job specific questions. They also asked brain teasers. Be prepared for questions about your personal values and what motivates you - many of the questions were along these lines.

Interview Questions
    • They asked specific fixed income finance questions about how bonds are priced.   Answer Question
    • Would you rather be the wealthiest person in your neighborhood or the poorest? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

It was a telephone interview, the screener offered a lot of background on the history and founding of the company. Allowed a lot of time to ask many questions about the culture. Overall, very interesting conversation.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennett Square, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Chatham Financial in July 2014.

The interview process was very involved and even difficult. It started out with a simple phone interview with the sweetest recruiter I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with. After the first screening session, I spoke with the Team Lead for about 30 minutes. Few days later, a Skype call with two other managers was set up by my recruiter (60 minutes). Nothing difficult so far.

I was then invited for an in-person interview. The day started with a 45-minute math exam, along with two short comprehension tests. The testing portion was followed by several interviews with 10 different individuals, ranging from potential colleagues to managers. I thought it was a bit excessive especially for an entry level position. Everyone was so incredibly kind and welcoming (except one gentleman at the end, whose mind seemed to be made up early on before even getting to know me). I can't emphasize how kind everyone was throughout the day; they really were very welcoming.

All that said, there were a couple of red flags right off the bat. First is the lack of corporate structure. One of the gentlemen who interviewed me made a point of telling me that they don't have titles, not even on their business cards.

This concern was exacerbated by the too-laid-back culture of the office. I saw someone wearing tank tops, sweat pants, and flip flops. I was uncomfortable the entire time I was walking among people. Sure, I get what they're trying to accomplish, but some semblance of professionalism should be implemented so that no one comes to work wearing a shirt that says "I <3 South Park."

Overall, I got the sense that they were more interested in my standardized testing scores than anything else. The only reason I can think of for why I wasn't offered a position was the GMAT test they gave me during my visit. I honestly don't mean to sound egotistical, but I really thought I handled myself well enough and had a decent background that would have made me successful. No feedback was provided as to why I wasn't offered a position.

In the end, the company is certainly solid and its people are indeed intelligent. Just be prepared to work 65 hours/week (according to two gentlemen I met), and basically sign your life to Chatham, as transitioning from this company to anywhere else will be very difficult. Unless you really like their corporate structure and are fascinated by the hedging industry, you're probably better off looking elsewhere to start your career.

Interview Questions
    • If I were to buy 100% of LEGO, how would you, as my consultant, go about valuating the brand as it currently stands? How would you valuate it after I've implemented my new policies and set my new goals as CEO? (The gentleman who asked me this question was by far the coolest person I met with throughout the day - firm, yet kind and engaging. I had a great time chatting with him.)   Answer Question

Business Coordinator Interview

HR for this company is very friendly, professional, and helpful. Once you submit a resume online they contact you very quickly, and the phone interview takes about 30 minutes. They explain the process very clearly: an initial interview with one or two key people, expected to last around 90 minutes, and a second interview including a round-table type discussion with a larger group, expected to last around two hours.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions fell within the realm of "standard" interview questions.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chatham Financial in June 2014.

I got response one day after I submitted my resume. One phone interview followed by a sky interview. Not too much question, the process is relax. After that, they promised me to onsite. However, I didn't get any response from HR for one week. Then they scheduled another skype interview to ask me some math background. I am engineering background, so math is not as strong as math PhD. I think that is the reason I was rejected. I think they should consider it before the first interview, otherwise, it is a waste of time for both sides.

Interview Questions
    • Given a cube. A ant is placed in a corner and cannot move. A spider starts from the opposite corner, and can move along cube edges in any direction (x,y,z) with probability 1/3. What is the expected number of steps for this spider to get to the ant?   Answer Question

New Hire Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chatham Financial.

The recruiter was professional, offering sound advice and guidance to prepare. A lengthy process just to get accepted for an in-person interview. Suggest that you are committed to the process and have thoroughly researched the company, otherwise you will waste your time. The interview process is difficult, but this is for the benefit of both the business and the prospective new hire.

Interview Questions
    • I have not completed the interview process and will wait to answer this portion.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennett Square, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Chatham Financial in May 2014.

A few days after applying to a marketing position online, I was contacted by a recruiter with Kforce. I had a phone interview with the recruiter and she forwarded my resume along to the hiring manager, who requested an onsite interview. The company is located in the middle of nowhere in Kennett Square on a nice campus. I met with 7 individuals (HR director, hiring manager, and several marketing team members) and the interview questions were mostly standard. There were some behavioral questions/scenarios, but for the most part, I was expected to know about Chatham and its position in the marketplace and to be able to describe my background/experience. Two months later, I have heard nothing from the recruiter or Chatham. No courteous followup or update, which I find not only rude, but very unprofessional. After inviting a candidate onsite for an interview that takes several hours, it is only right to keep the candidate up to date. Based on my experience, I would not ever work for the company, nor would I recommend the company to others.

Hedging Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Chatham Financial in March 2014.

They came to our school for recruiting. I was invited to the interview with one of their reps. She only asked me two questions. The first one is "walk me through your resume," for the second one, she showed me nine words that describe characteristics, like "intelligence""excellence", etc. and asked me to rank them and give my reasoning behind. Two days later, I got the declined email.