Cheesecake Factory

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.5

Kitchen Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory.

Make sure you research about the company. Doing your homework pays off. Be honest they know a lot about you from the online assessment you take before the interview. You must have a passion for great food and be willing to develop your people to level of expertise. It took about 2 hour for the interview. A small tour of the restaurant and a lunch food tasting of many dishes.

Interview Questions
    • They ask me why I chose this company and what I knew about their culture.   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory.

You have to stand out to get an interview. You have to present yourself as a person who isn't afraid of people and exuberant. The way that I did this was ask to speak to a manager regarding job availability. This was where I had my opportunity to work my magic.

The interview process in itself wasn't difficult. They asked the basics: Where I grew up, what I did when I was younger, my most influential experiences, what I believe people enjoy, and what the restaurant means to me.

A big tip is to emphasize that the people you serve are guests and that their visit is a restaurant experience; not just a dinner.

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory in June 2013.

Filled out online application, which included a test very similar to the SAT, and a personality test. Received phone call promptly for a phone interview. Answered all questions and made a date for an in-person interview. Upon arriving at the first interview, I arrived early but had to wait about 20 minutes or so (understandable, considering that the restaurant looked somewhat busy). First manager interviewing me was very polite and friendly, outgoing, and made me feel exceptionally welcome. Asked me objective questions about how I could greatly apply my skills directly to the restaurant--how can we bring out the best in you? I had taken quite some time to thoroughly research both the menu and the company itself prior to the interview, and had an opportunity to share my prior serving experience with this first manager, who was very warm and kind. I felt the first interview went exceptionally well... This manager scheduled me to meet with a higher manager at a later date --I was very excited. The second interview was quite a different story altogether! I arrived on time but again had to wait a rather lengthy amount of time in order to simply meet with this said manager. I was greeted somewhat coldly--the rigid handshake, complete with a frown followed by other subtle cues to further indicate that my chances were likely all but in vain. The questions were asked in a stiff, terse, and unwelcoming tone, read like a laundry list from A to Z, giving me a very unwelcoming feeling. At the very least, I was given a day when their ultimate decision would be made, but to be quite honest with you readers--looking in hindsight--I was very sorely disappointed at the experience and feel somewhat shocked at how oppositely I had been not only greeted but interviewed when comparing the first interview from the second one.

Interview Questions
    • If you made a mistake that went unnoticed, what would you do? It was a vague question, which I needed clarification on.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory in June 2013.

1on1 interview with manager, final interview with GM. Applied online and within a few weeks I was called for an interview. Was hired the same day, and within the next few weeks I came back in to fill out all the paperwork. It is a large restaurant and company so it may not feel as intimate of an interview process as some may like. Both "interviews" combined lasted maybe 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • N/A very straight forward, seems like, if you get an interview they want you to work there.   View Answer
    N/A

Hourly Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

interviewed at Cheesecake Factory in May 2013.

Required 2 interviews.

The schedule details did not seem fair. Also was told by current employees that being only late or calling out once was grounds for termination.

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory.

Interview was very easy simple questions .. Example: "How do you deal with difficult co-workers", "why do you want to leave your current job".. I think they just want to make sure your personable and have some kinda sense because overall I think the most important thing to the employer, especially in a high volume location is your experience

Interview Questions
    I dont think there is much room for negotiating in a restaurant. Generally all servers are below minimum wage to my understanding.

Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory in April 2013.

The whole process of getting the interview is a lot more difficult than the actual interview. The Cheesecake Factory only hires new employees in groups -- usually around March and May. You apply online by taking a personality and a basic I.Q. test after getting through your tests, you then get to fill out basic information about yourself. The online application as a whole can take up to two hours, so be prepared to spend some time on the application. If they're interested, a manager will more than likely contact you within three days and have you come in for an interview the next day. If you get called back to get an interview, just remember to dress really professionally! The Cheesecake Factory focuses on how professional employees look, so just put on your business attire and walk in with a smile -- they love smiles. If you do end up applying, good luck! (:

Interview Questions
    • They ask basic questions like: "Why do you want to work at the Cheesecake Factory?" ( Please do not mention anything about making a lot of money, because that will almost guarantee a no-offer from them) "How would you respond to an unhappy guest?" "How would you deal with an angry coworker?" "Do you see yourself as a responsible person?"   Answer Question
    There really is no negotiating while accepting a server position. You will get paid minimum wage, but will definitely make a decent amount of tips.

Hostess Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory.

I had two different interviews. The first was about twenty minutes with a manager who then scheduled another interview with him and the GM. The next interview lasted about an hour. It was mostly behavioral questions such as What does being a leader mean to you? Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a guest. Describe a time when you had to handle a conflict/disagreement in a group work setting.).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to handle a conflict/disagreement in a group work setting.   Answer Question

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA

The online application process seriously took longer than all of my interviews put together! Not even 24 hours after I filled out an application online, I got a call from a manager and she asked me to come in later that day. I was shocked! I had filled out applications to a bunch of other places months ago and had never heard back. When I got there I met up with the same woman who had called me, and her interview was literally only five minutes long! After that, she called over the general manager and he sat down and talked to me for maybe 15 minutes and then hired me on the spot! Both the manager and the general manager were very kind and seemed to really want to get to know me as a person before they made their employment offer.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were simple ones like: Why do you want to work at this Cheesecake Factory or Why did you have to leave your prior employer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory.

I filled out the extensive online application which took about an hour. I didn't hear anything from them for about 3 weeks and assumed they weren't interested. I finally received a call from the GM herself and I was invited for an interview the following morning. The interview was well before restaurant opening so I only waited a short time as she had two of us to interview and took the other girl first. My interview was pretty short and the GM was super friendly, warm, and welcoming. She really made me feel like she cares about her restaurant and her staff. I was offered the job on the spot and asked to come in for orientation two days later. During orientation you fill out gobs of paperwork(more than I've filled out for any other job) and watch a couple videos. After that we were treated for lunch while we talked with the GM. There were 4 of us in orientation and she ordered us two apps, three dishes, and two desserts. It was great to sample some popular dishes. She even had us each order a piece of dessert to take home! I left orientation feeling stuffed but more importantly like I had made a good choice in accepting this job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake and nobody noticed. What did you do?   Answer Question