Cheesecake Factory Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.5

Dishwasher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory (Escondido, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was recommended by a friend, and called in one or two days after applying to the restaurant which at the time was still being built. Two interviews, the first was good and the second was terrible. These were my first interviews ever. The first guy was cool, and that interview went pretty well. He asked me why I wanted to work there, if I could handle a 10 hour shift, also about a time when I overcame a tough moment. He said he would call my references and call me back. I got called back by another manager the next day and went in for a second interview. He asked me why I wanted to work there. Then he asked me how I get pumped up, and followed that with "I need someone who..." ...( he couldn't find the word) then I said "is passionate". He told me he couldn't see me doing that. It was the way I talked that made him think that. Then he asked me how I would handle 4 or 5 people telling me what to do at the same time (stress), I told him that it did not affect me because the past few semesters I had taken more units than before and I had done really good. He ended the interview 5 seconds after that. He said he would hold on to my application and call me if anything came up because they are always hiring. I did not like the second interview because the guy was just making assumptions about me and how I would perform on the job. He thought I couldn't be passionate about what I do just because I did not show it in my voice. I regret not asking him how he did it because he was talking with zero passion during the entire interview, not only that, I felt like he was talking down to me. He also assumed that I could not make it because I had not had a job yet.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle four or five people telling you what to do at the same time?   Answer Question

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory (Henderson, NV) in September 2013.

Interview

I filled out an application online that was very confusing and has tests that have nothing to do with the job. I then got a call and was interviewed over the phone and then asked to come in for another interview. I went to the interview and the person that was supposed to be interviewing me wasn't even there. I waited and was then interviewed by another manager and asked to come back for another interview. Finally i was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• There was a lot of mathematical testing. It was unexpected because I am a host and don;t have to use math at all.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried negotiating but there wasn't even a discussion.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory in September 2013.

Interview

Online screening test that will screen you out if, ie, you have less than 5 years full service experience. Online personality assessment and half business related question assessment (math problems, logic problems). Recruiter interview that wants to ensure you are applying for the "right" reasons (not money). Recruiter will triple check all answers you gave in the screen interview. In person interview with a GM with a 4-5 hour follow of a floor manager - you will seat guests, interact with staff, etc. Be hands on and ask lots of questions. The GM assumes you are qualified if you have made it this far, they are really just gauging your professionalism and personality. Then an interview with an area director. This is where hard questions come in - all your P&L experience, financial knowledge, HR questions, what if scenarios and "what would your staff say about you." If the area director likes you, then a recruiter will contact you and start salary negotiations.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult. Just be consistent in your answers and reasonings.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They will hardball you on salary- stick to it, they will eventually give you what you ask for. It may take longer though.

Hostess Interview

Interview

Application process is long. You apply online and someone will call you if they are interested. First, I went in and they manager was extremely nice and seemed like she wanted to help me get the job right away. They told me to apply online and call their hiring manager. They scheduled an interview for the next day. I ended up waiting for about an hour before they found time to interview me. But, the servers, hosts, and other managers were extremely nice and continued to ask me if I wanted anything to eat or drink. I was finally interviewed. It was pretty standard. They scheduled a second interview on the spot, but I ended up declining the next day.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory (Miami, FL).

Interview

2 meetings

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Baker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory (San Juan, PR) in August 2013.

Interview

After a bit over a month of applying online, got a call for an interview for a new location opening. Because of my studies in pastry, even though I had years of experience as a server, I was offered a job as a Baker or Dessert Finisher (how the call it in their website). The interview was very short, not too many questions, nothing too difficult. They seem to put a lot of value in the form and test you have to take online when applying for a job.

Interview Questions

• In what way would my work ethic be of value for the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not try to negotiate for more than what they initially offered because it was more than I even expected to get paid in the first place.

Dishwasher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory (Novi, MI) in July 2013.

Interview

I walked in and they asked to if i applied online which i did and then they scheduled me an interview the very next day. They asked me a couple of questions that was relevant to dishwashing and the team. Answered a couple questions and that was the end of the interview. I got hired after they checked my references.

Interview Questions

• what would you do for a fellow member who is slacking   1 Answer

Kitchen Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory.

Interview

Make sure you research about the company. Doing your homework pays off. Be honest they know a lot about you from the online assessment you take before the interview. You must have a passion for great food and be willing to develop your people to level of expertise. It took about 2 hour for the interview. A small tour of the restaurant and a lunch food tasting of many dishes.

Interview Questions

• They ask me why I chose this company and what I knew about their culture.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory.

Interview

You have to stand out to get an interview. You have to present yourself as a person who isn't afraid of people and exuberant. The way that I did this was ask to speak to a manager regarding job availability. This was where I had my opportunity to work my magic.

The interview process in itself wasn't difficult. They asked the basics: Where I grew up, what I did when I was younger, my most influential experiences, what I believe people enjoy, and what the restaurant means to me.

A big tip is to emphasize that the people you serve are guests and that their visit is a restaurant experience; not just a dinner.

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cheesecake Factory (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2013.

Interview

Filled out online application, which included a test very similar to the SAT, and a personality test. Received phone call promptly for a phone interview. Answered all questions and made a date for an in-person interview. Upon arriving at the first interview, I arrived early but had to wait about 20 minutes or so (understandable, considering that the restaurant looked somewhat busy). First manager interviewing me was very polite and friendly, outgoing, and made me feel exceptionally welcome. Asked me objective questions about how I could greatly apply my skills directly to the restaurant--how can we bring out the best in you? I had taken quite some time to thoroughly research both the menu and the company itself prior to the interview, and had an opportunity to share my prior serving experience with this first manager, who was very warm and kind. I felt the first interview went exceptionally well... This manager scheduled me to meet with a higher manager at a later date --I was very excited. The second interview was quite a different story altogether! I arrived on time but again had to wait a rather lengthy amount of time in order to simply meet with this said manager. I was greeted somewhat coldly--the rigid handshake, complete with a frown followed by other subtle cues to further indicate that my chances were likely all but in vain. The questions were asked in a stiff, terse, and unwelcoming tone, read like a laundry list from A to Z, giving me a very unwelcoming feeling. At the very least, I was given a day when their ultimate decision would be made, but to be quite honest with you readers--looking in hindsight--I was very sorely disappointed at the experience and feel somewhat shocked at how oppositely I had been not only greeted but interviewed when comparing the first interview from the second one.

Interview Questions

• If you made a mistake that went unnoticed, what would you do? It was a vague question, which I needed clarification on.   1 Answer