Chegg Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.8

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

About me: Senior Data Scientist PhD 3+ years in Bay area One of Data team members reached out to me about an open position. I first had a phone call with him which was basically for them to to pitch to me the company and its culture. Then I had a technical interview over phone and unfortunately the person who interviewed me was extremely unprofessional and inexperience. 1- The interview started with some question about what I do at my current position. Then the person asked me about what feature selection/extraction technique we are using. Clearly, these information are confidential, so without naming the technique, I explain the way it works. I went through the detail of the algorithm to show that I know enough about concept. However, the interviewer kept asking me about the name of the algorithm. I was not willing to reveal inside confidential information from my current company. This is extremely unprofessional. Maybe the interviewer does not care about these sort of things but as a professional I must be royal to the secrets of my current company. This is why experienced people usually ask what techniques you know and not what technique you are using in your current position! 2- The interview moved to question about predictive analysis. I was explaining about different techniques and pros and cons of each. I was in the middle of my explanation (and even middle of a sentence) that the interviewer cut me off and said let's go to coding now. I found it very rude and this behavior totally distracted my thought process. He could have wait for one or two minutes and let me finished my discussion. Very irrespecutful! 3- The coding question was very simple from undergraduate java class. But again the lack of experience in the interviewer made everything a little awkward. I first did the program in a very fast paste and not very efficient (O(NLogN)). Then the interviewer asked me to speed it up. I explained where in the program we need to make adjustment. I even wrote it in words as comment in the program. However, I had some difficulty remembering the actual functions in python to call for this (expected since you can not use Google). I was saying that I know we need to do this and I know there is a python function to call but I can not remember the exact syntax. However, no feedback, no talk, no nothing from the interviewer. Finally I asked him to give me a hint. But he just repeated back what I had explained before in words. I am not sure if he didn't listen or he didn't know how to write it down either. The process showed me is that people at data team probably are not very helpful and they are not very respectful to the others. If you are looking for open friendly environment to work in, this might not be the right place.

Interview Questions

• Write down a function that received 1- s: string 2- k: int and returns the top k most frequent words in the string.   1 Answer

User Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied and received an email from a recruiter the following morning asking if I had time to converse. The next day, our conversation went well; he asked very job-specific questions, told me a little bit about the companies' future goals, and what their UXR team was looking for. After that, the recruiter set me up with another phone interview for the next day with a UX Researcher that I'd be working with. That conversation went well too. I really appreciated the ability to talk freely with both the researcher and the recruiter; they didn't ask typical cookie-cutter questions (like "where do you see yourself in 5 years? what are your strengths? etc.) They really focused on the role itself and how I saw myself working toward Chegg's mission. After the phone interview, I came in for a 3-4 hour interview and met with the team. I felt that it went incredibly well and I felt good about it. After the in-person interview, the recruiter kept me informed about next steps. And then came an email after two days: they wanted me to complete an exercise and send them references. Normally, any job candidate would probably take offense to this "exercise" request so late in the hiring process (after having met with the team and gone through all other interview processes). It's sort of backwards, but I truly believe that there was no bad intent behind it because the position was originally part-time and then in the middle of the interview process turned into full-time...and I'm sure for full-time candidates, taking some sort of test is mandatory. But had this been another circumstance, I would have probably thought it was in insult of my intelligence...like, had I "failed" the exercise, would I still be considered for the position after all that I been through? Again, seems like something that you'd want to do early in the game to weed out the "bad apples". But I digress. Anyhow, I had a wonderful interview process for the most part. I loved the team, but I ended up receiving a clutch offer from a different company and had to decide fairly quickly. And while I loved Chegg and everything that it is trying to accomplish, I just couldn't bring myself to pass up on a solid offer elsewhere while I still had to do an exercise and wait for their offer, if they were going to give me one (in which the other one would have been voided). It was really just a matter of bad timing and I had to make a decision on-the-fly. But again, it was an awesome interview process and I wish them the best of luck with all of their future endeavors.

SRE Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chegg.

Interview

It was a standard process until I got to the first technical interview. It was a guy with a heavy accent talking on a poor cell phone connection making up trivia questions as he went along. By far the worst interview I have experienced. Totally unprofessional. I suggest you don't waste your time.

Interview Questions

Chegg Response

Jul 7, 2015 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We did not extend offer to this candidate. We do not agree with the candidates assessment of this interview. We do not ask proprietary information. Our feedback from over 100 others who have ... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online from their website, then email and phone screening from recruiter, after that a phone interview from a engineer of that team, after that scheduled a onsite interview with 7 people! Luckily the long interview was interrupted after 3 interviewers, the recruiter just rudely sent me out without gave the reason, the company looks good but bad feeling after the weird onsite interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Hiring Manager contacted me and set up an initial conversation. Looked interesting for the profile they were hiring so I went in for a full-day on site. In my view the onsite went fairly well - not outstanding, but certainly not terrible. The unfortunate (and unprofessional) part came later - I did not receive ANY communication one way or another. I took a day off work to go interview with these folks when they had initiated the contact and called me in. Afterwards, I tried contacting the recruiter, the hiring manager, etc - nothing. The least Chegg could have done was send me a two sentence mail saying that they would not be proceeding forward.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn first. The position looked interesting, so I decided to pursue the process. However, when I replied to the recruiter, it seems that he didn't even remember he reached out to me first. That was the first time that I had a bit weird feeling about this company. After the initial screen, I had an opportunity to speak with the design manager. He was really nice, and passionate about what he's been working on. We both had a great time, and he told me he wants to bring me in to the next round on-site interview on the phone. A week after, I visited the Santa Clara office. I did design presentation and met a couple on people 1:1. The atmosphere during the presentation wasn't that great. I felt a lot of pressure, and they asked me a bunch of questions before I explain the thing, which was distracting. Overall experience was okay, but during the interview I already had a feeling I'm not a great fit. Because what they are looking for and what I've experienced and been expecting for next role is completely different. I wrote thank you email and my impression frankly to the recruiter. At the end, he didn't even reply to my email. It was really disappointing. Overall, I don't think it's worth to spend my time on this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your mobile experience. How to collaborate with other designers.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chegg.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the recruiter then one of the hiring managers. After that, I met with the team in-person and that was it. Pretty standard.

Interview Questions

• Nothing that jumped out at me as being unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The norm, nothing different.

Senior Java Contractor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chegg in July 2014.

Interview

Design pattern, general algorithm questions and SQL. What is singleton? Double checked locking. Equals and hashcode. How do you write thread safe code? A short question on how you would tokenize and store strings (hashmap obviously). Basic questions on SQL. What is a join? Primary key?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. Standard pay.

Application

I interviewed at Chegg in May 2014.

Interview

1. Phone Screen Interview (Cleared) : It was also a deep interview, where all the questions related to the Selenium were asked .2. Onsite interview 4 hours : It didnot go that well . A lot of of brain teasers were asked .Detailed explanation of the requirements from team and hence related issues were asked .

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chegg in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I thought I would never hear back. But they did take a month to respond after which I had a phone interview with the head of the internship program. After a couple of days, she said I got through to the next round at which point I had a phone interview with two people who I would possibly work for.

Interview Questions

• The interview was around 45 minutes long and it was fairly straightforward, nothing I didn't expect. I was well prepared and had done a couple of interviews before so it helped me prepare.   Answer Question