Chegg Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

Senior Data Scientist Interview

interviewed at Chegg in October 2014.

The HR recruiting folks were very helpful and pretty reliable in terms of the timelines, getting back to me etc. The interview process was pretty clear and fairly efficient: one detailed phone screen with HR, one detailed technical phone screen, and then on-site interview. They notify candidates on whether they'd make an offer by the end of the on-site interview. So, overall, a very efficient process.

Interview Questions
    • What was most unexpected was that most of their data scientists are coming from non-computational and non-statistical backgrounds (geography, political science etc.) but they are very particular about e.g. detailed SQL technical questions during on-site interviews.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Chegg.

Recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn first. The position looked interesting, so I decided to pursue the process. However, when I replied to the recruiter, it seems that he didn't even remember he reached out to me first. That was the first time that I had a bit weird feeling about this company. After the initial screen, I had an opportunity to speak with the design manager. He was really nice, and passionate about what he's been working on. We both had a great time, and he told me he wants to bring me in to the next round on-site interview on the phone. A week after, I visited the Santa Clara office. I did design presentation and met a couple on people 1:1. The atmosphere during the presentation wasn't that great. I felt a lot of pressure, and they asked me a bunch of questions before I explain the thing, which was distracting. Overall experience was okay, but during the interview I already had a feeling I'm not a great fit. Because what they are looking for and what I've experienced and been expecting for next role is completely different. I wrote thank you email and my impression frankly to the recruiter. At the end, he didn't even reply to my email. It was really disappointing. Overall, I don't think it's worth to spend my time on this opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your mobile experience. How to collaborate with other designers.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Chegg.

I had a phone interview with the recruiter then one of the hiring managers. After that, I met with the team in-person and that was it. Pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that jumped out at me as being unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question
    The norm, nothing different.

Senior Java Contractor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Chegg in July 2014.

Design pattern, general algorithm questions and SQL. What is singleton? Double checked locking. Equals and hashcode. How do you write thread safe code? A short question on how you would tokenize and store strings (hashmap obviously). Basic questions on SQL. What is a join? Primary key?

None. Standard pay.

Senior Automation Engineer Interview

interviewed at Chegg in May 2014.

1. Phone Screen Interview (Cleared) : It was also a deep interview, where all the questions related to the Selenium were asked .2. Onsite interview 4 hours : It didnot go that well . A lot of of brain teasers were asked .Detailed explanation of the requirements from team and hence related issues were asked .

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Chegg in April 2014.

I applied online and I thought I would never hear back. But they did take a month to respond after which I had a phone interview with the head of the internship program. After a couple of days, she said I got through to the next round at which point I had a phone interview with two people who I would possibly work for.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was around 45 minutes long and it was fairly straightforward, nothing I didn't expect. I was well prepared and had done a couple of interviews before so it helped me prepare.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Chegg in April 2014.

The HR guy contacted initially, followed by a phone screen. The HR guy seemed nice and gave me a detailed overview of the company
    The interviewer seemed to be confused and outright rude at times. Asked me design question and kept on confusing me as I was trying to come up with a solution.

Interview Questions
    • question was not that difficult, usual design question   Answer Question

User Experience Intern Interview

First, HR emailed me and a couple of days later I had a phone interview with HR about 30 minutes. Then a week later I got a phone interview with principle designers at Chegg about 30 minutes as well. Most questions were based on my portfolio. I not only show them the results of my design but also tell them about the whole process.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Chegg in March 2014.

I was referred to Chegg, but not through an employee. I sent our family friend my resume and then I got a call from the intern manager about a week later. She was super nice and we discussed my resume and my career interests. We scheduled a formal interview via phone and she called me back a week later. The interview was about 30 mins with her giving me an introduction of Chegg, asking me questions and then letting me ask her questions. She then said she'd follow up with me. About a week later she called me with a few options of internships in marketing that'd I'd be good for. I gaveher my opinions. Then a week after that I was offered a marketing internship. I was so excited and accepted on the spot!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you failed a college assignment and what did you learned from it?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Phone interview followed by onsite