Chegg Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.4

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

About me: Senior Data Scientist PhD 3+ years in Bay area One of Data team members reached out to me about an open position. I first had a phone call with him which was basically for them to to pitch to me the company and its culture. Then I had a technical interview over phone and unfortunately the person who interviewed me was extremely unprofessional and inexperience. 1- The interview started with some question about what I do at my current position. Then the person asked me about what feature selection/extraction technique we are using. Clearly, these information are confidential, so without naming the technique, I explain the way it works. I went through the detail of the algorithm to show that I know enough about concept. However, the interviewer kept asking me about the name of the algorithm. I was not willing to reveal inside confidential information from my current company. This is extremely unprofessional. Maybe the interviewer does not care about these sort of things but as a professional I must be royal to the secrets of my current company. This is why experienced people usually ask what techniques you know and not what technique you are using in your current position! 2- The interview moved to question about predictive analysis. I was explaining about different techniques and pros and cons of each. I was in the middle of my explanation (and even middle of a sentence) that the interviewer cut me off and said let's go to coding now. I found it very rude and this behavior totally distracted my thought process. He could have wait for one or two minutes and let me finished my discussion. Very irrespecutful! 3- The coding question was very simple from undergraduate java class. But again the lack of experience in the interviewer made everything a little awkward. I first did the program in a very fast paste and not very efficient (O(NLogN)). Then the interviewer asked me to speed it up. I explained where in the program we need to make adjustment. I even wrote it in words as comment in the program. However, I had some difficulty remembering the actual functions in python to call for this (expected since you can not use Google). I was saying that I know we need to do this and I know there is a python function to call but I can not remember the exact syntax. However, no feedback, no talk, no nothing from the interviewer. Finally I asked him to give me a hint. But he just repeated back what I had explained before in words. I am not sure if he didn't listen or he didn't know how to write it down either. The process showed me is that people at data team probably are not very helpful and they are not very respectful to the others. If you are looking for open friendly environment to work in, this might not be the right place.

Interview Questions

• Write down a function that received 1- s: string 2- k: int and returns the top k most frequent words in the string.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I was referred to Chegg, but not through an employee. I sent our family friend my resume and then I got a call from the intern manager about a week later. She was super nice and we discussed my resume and my career interests. We scheduled a formal interview via phone and she called me back a week later. The interview was about 30 mins with her giving me an introduction of Chegg, asking me questions and then letting me ask her questions. She then said she'd follow up with me. About a week later she called me with a few options of internships in marketing that'd I'd be good for. I gaveher my opinions. Then a week after that I was offered a marketing internship. I was so excited and accepted on the spot!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed a college assignment and what did you learned from it?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

3 rounds of telephonic interview. Each around 30-60 mins

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone screen and on site interview. One day. Sr. manager asked a technical question. VP asked a technical question. Met with design team.

Interview Questions

• Mostly user experience coding test. Was not that difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Stated my desired salary, was offered 5k less.

Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I interviewed for a temp-to-hire position to manually source books. The job description that I was initially given was vague, but the 5 people who interviewed me helped to clarify a clearer picture of my function. All my interviewers were future teammates/ leads and it was clear by the 3rd or 4th person that my evaluation was more focused on whether I'd get along with the team. Overall I'd say the process was not too intimidating (aided by the fact that none of the interviewers looked older than 25), and the questions I asked were fairly straightforward. I was assessed on my skills on how to communicate with vendors and customers. The interview questions turned out to be quite relevant to the job once I started.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness and how would you work to overcome it when it affects your performance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing was negotiated - I was informed of my hourly wage. For someone fresh out of college, securing a job and being given the opportunity to start your career somewhere is key. Negotiation should only be done if a. there's any indication that the wages are flexible and/or b. you're skilled and specialized in the position you're looking for.