ChemPoint.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

QR/Business Development Interview

QR/Business Development
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ChemPoint.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – It was a pretty straight forward process. After submitting a resume, I was contacted by the HR dept and had a basic screening interview over the phone. This one was actually more insightful than what followed. I was notified a week later that I would have a second interview with a Account Manager also by phone. I believe this individual was not terribly experienced in interviewing and was asked some of the cliche' questions, "Whats your greatest weakness?" Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" with out knowing how to probe deeper for the information that would unlock a persons motivations. I wound up interview him more than he interviewed me.

Interview Question – I was asked how I would bring added value to the position.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview Details – Initial interview with a member of HR over the phone for a half hour. Second screening was with a sales manager for another call for a half hour. If you are local, you will be invited for an in-house interview at this point. I was out of state so I had a group skype interview followed by an in person interview where they flew me out. They ask a lot of "how would you react" situations and try to make sure you have an understanding of the job going into it. Be genuine and self assured since they will try to pretend to be disinterested to see if you lose conviction in yourself.

Interview Question – At the end of the interviews with the sales managers, make sure to ask if they are recommending you. Since you're going to be in sales, they want to make sure you're willing to ask the hard upfront questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Some negotiation on relocation compensation. Minimal negotiation on the salary itself since bonus is capped per job title and the parent company controls the budget for the base salary.

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview with HR (~1 hr), 1 phone interview (~30 min) with a sales manager, then a skype interview with me and 3 sales managers that went really poorly. The 3 guys were piggy-backing on each other in a really aggressive and unpleasant way, and had an almost mocking or "i don't believe you" skeptical attitude about my answers. I had a really strong resume but no sales experience so they were questioning why I had even applied. By the end I was sorry I did. It was a totally unprofessional and degrading interview - I don't want to know what working there would be like.

Interview Question – They asked repeatedly about other companies I was interviewing with - I said that, yes, I was interviewing with multiple firms (like any jobseeker). I was vague and didn't want to say names, but they continued questioning very aggressively. They questioned again why I would apply to work at a company across the country from where I was attending school - to which I say, if you didn't want applicants from my location, why post in my university's job listing resource?   View Answer

Chemical Sales Interview

Chemical Sales
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview Details – Have interviewed on 3 separate occasions: 2 phone (1 with HR and 1 with a Sales Manager) and 1 Skype with a panel of 3 Sales Managers. Invited to office for 4th interview

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how do you deal with a situation where you lose a sale and what is the reason for the loss   Answer Question

Market Developer Interview

Market Developer
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ChemPoint.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – Two panels of 3 people each. It took a long time and was sort of exhausting. If you sit down and expect a long haul (~3 hrs), it probably wouldn't be that bad.

Interview Question – They did not ask many cheesy interview questions -- just what you did at your last job... "day in the life" of your last job... duties, responsibilities, your overall performance...etc   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and cover letter through my school. The next day, I got an email from HR requesting a phone interview. The phone interview went well; HR asked to go into detail about my resume and experiences. Two days later, I got an email request for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of a tour around the building, a job shadow with a current intern, and an interview with two of the managers in the department you are interviewing for. The tour and job shadow went well and it was easy to talk to the HR rep and the intern. The intern was receptive and answered my questions well. When it was time for the behavioral interview, the two managers were incredibly late and non-apologetic. One manager in particular was curt and condescending from the beginning. The interview mostly consisted of the managers asking about my skills and technical abilities and why I'd be a good fit for the job. The questions for very casual. After the interview, the hiring manager let me know she'd get back to me within the end of the week. The next day, I decided to peruse the school job listings, and found the same job that I interviewed for, newly posted. The poster of the job had subtly edited some parts of the job description with keywords from MY interview. Unbelievable. The qualifications were also edited, new qualifications in which I already met. The next day, I received a canned rejection email from HR. This experience was incredibly infuriating and ChemPoint is incredibly unprofessional. I would not recommend this company.

Interview Question – What do you want to do after graduation?   Answer Question

Hunter, Account Manager, Senior Account Manager Interview

Hunter, Account Manager, Senior Account Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ChemPoint.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – To begin with there is no inside sales account position as they describe in the initial phone interviews. I was told there was a position with a salary of 48,000/yr with benefits. This is just a ploy to get qualified applicants into their office. In truth there is a "hunter" position that pays the advertised wage which is only available to 6 seasoned veterans drawn from the account manager position and senior account manager position they are really seeking to fill at a much lower hourly wage (12 - 18/hr). After several phone interviews and very helpful prepping from the placement agency that initially contacted me I ran the gauntlet of a tour, shadowing an employee and two back to back two manager 1 hr interviews. Yes, one hour each! As you can imagine with one hour to probe you the manager teams did a good job of digging up every aspect of your personality. The questions were intelligent and savvy with lots of why Chempoint? and plenty of background clarification. Everything is about image at Chempoint..... they seem to be trying to capture the dot.com feel with glass walls on meeting rooms and large monitors pumping out corporate ra ra. While I can say that the office is very modern and some of the senior management space has a nice view from the top floors of the building what the job really comes down to is looking at a panel of computer screens in a tiny cubical all day, making phone calls AM and record keeping with e-mails PM. They promote the "kitchens" on each floor stocked with drinks (off brands) and some small snacks. Sure it is a nice feature, but it doesn't make up for the fact that they offer those products rather than good wages. The employees I talked to made it clear that there is a lottery system for a space in the parking garage and with tons of meter police in Bellevue you can expect to pay 120. to 160. a month for parking a few blocks away until you win the lottery. Overall if you have just graduated and need some space on your resume filled this might be a good place to spend a few years, however, if you want a position with a future I would take your Chem or Bio degree and look for more growth potential. Oh and FYI, I have never come across a more intrusive application in my life..... Univar, ChemPoint's parent company requests that you submit to a complete background check including a credit check and strangely enough a drivers record check??? While I had nothing to hide, I found this request odd since I would likely never ride nor drive a company vehicle.

Interview Question – Give us three reasons you would be a better employee of ChemPoint than any other.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer was not as advertised. The "shadow" I was placed with was very competent with 3.5 years under his belt. I just could not see myself going blind in a cubical for three years @ 30K just to reach 48K and a parking spot.

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Supply Chain Intern

Interviewed at ChemPoint.com

Interview Details – Phone interview then brought in for a short tour of the facility and interview with two person interview team

Interview Question – How do you handle ambiguity   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ChemPoint.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – It started as a referral, passed the phone interview which seemed very easy. I was brought in for a panel interview and spent about 3 hours interviewing and after they made my qualifications seem irrelevant they took me to shadow the "Customer Solutions Specialist" which looked like it was a position was where dreams go to die. The person I shadowed seemed like he was not enjoying his life at all. He copied text from one document to another. They told me this is what I "had" to do to get to the next position up to "learn" the business. I knew at that moment I wanted to conclude the interview because I would have rather been without a job than sit all day and do this mindless work which was strongly regulated, but for the sake of my friend I decided to stick out the rest of the interview.

I didn't send follow-up emails because I knew that there was no chance I would accept a job doing this dream killing job.

The office was really cool though. If there was one place I would choose to give up all of my hopes and dreams and sell my soul for near minimum wage it would be this place.

Interview Question – Coming from your background of working in a constantly changing scene and being out in the fresh air, why would you want to work in an office doing a job that consists of much of the exact same thing every day?   View Answer

Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview, 1 5 hour in house interview, sent offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Have you ever had to work with a difficult coworker and if so, how did you do your best to work with them?   Answer Question

Worked for ChemPoint.com? Contribute to the Community!