ChemPoint.com Interview Questions

Updated Jan 12, 2015

Intern Interview

Interview

Saw a job posting on Husky Jobs, submitted resume online. Got a call a couple of weeks later, had a pretty easy, basic phone interview, then in-person interview. You get an office tour first and then they put you into a small conference room with 2-3 other people.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview

They contacted me after a day and had me schedule a phone interview with them. What was weird was how they expected you to call them, and not the other way around. However, I ignored it and called them on the day that I was supposed to interview. The call had dropped in the middle of my conversation with the HR person (who I am assuming is a student). However, I thought the interview had went okay until I get an email from another HR specialist who tells me "Thanks for applying, but we did not see your talents fit within our organization at this time". I found this extremely unprofessional as the person who had interviewed me was not the one to tell me personally, but possibly her supervisor. Overall, don't bother applying for this internship as they will leave it till the last minute to inform you that they don't want you to interview in person.

Industry Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ChemPoint.com (Bellevue, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I sent in my resume and cover letter through Indeed.com for a Market Developer position and about an hour and a half later I received an email from an HR representative stating that I would be a better fit for their Industry Representative position and proceeded to set an interview up with me.

Interview Questions

• What interests you most about this position?/Why ChemPoint?   1 Answer
    • Why sales?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of when you worked on a team.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't get a job offer, I received an offer to move to the next round of interviews (next steps will be to set up a phone conversations with one of their sales managers and tour the company).

Industry Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ChemPoint.com (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Initial interview with a member of HR over the phone for a half hour. Second screening was with a sales manager for another call for a half hour. If you are local, you will be invited for an in-house interview at this point. I was out of state so I had a group skype interview followed by an in person interview where they flew me out. They ask a lot of "how would you react" situations and try to make sure you have an understanding of the job going into it. Be genuine and self assured since they will try to pretend to be disinterested to see if you lose conviction in yourself.

Interview Questions

• At the end of the interviews with the sales managers, make sure to ask if they are recommending you. Since you're going to be in sales, they want to make sure you're willing to ask the hard upfront questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Some negotiation on relocation compensation. Minimal negotiation on the salary itself since bonus is capped per job title and the parent company controls the budget for the base salary.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview

1 phone interview with HR (~1 hr), 1 phone interview (~30 min) with a sales manager, then a skype interview with me and 3 sales managers that went really poorly. The 3 guys were piggy-backing on each other in a really aggressive and unpleasant way, and had an almost mocking or "i don't believe you" skeptical attitude about my answers. I had a really strong resume but no sales experience so they were questioning why I had even applied. By the end I was sorry I did. It was a totally unprofessional and degrading interview - I don't want to know what working there would be like.

Interview Questions

• They asked repeatedly about other companies I was interviewing with - I said that, yes, I was interviewing with multiple firms (like any jobseeker). I was vague and didn't want to say names, but they continued questioning very aggressively. They questioned again why I would apply to work at a company across the country from where I was attending school - to which I say, if you didn't want applicants from my location, why post in my university's job listing resource?   1 Answer

QR/Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ChemPoint.com (Bellevue, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

It was a pretty straight forward process. After submitting a resume, I was contacted by the HR dept and had a basic screening interview over the phone. This one was actually more insightful than what followed. I was notified a week later that I would have a second interview with a Account Manager also by phone. I believe this individual was not terribly experienced in interviewing and was asked some of the cliche' questions, "Whats your greatest weakness?" Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" with out knowing how to probe deeper for the information that would unlock a persons motivations. I wound up interview him more than he interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would bring added value to the position.   Answer Question

Chemical Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ChemPoint.com (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Have interviewed on 3 separate occasions: 2 phone (1 with HR and 1 with a Sales Manager) and 1 Skype with a panel of 3 Sales Managers. Invited to office for 4th interview

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was how do you deal with a situation where you lose a sale and what is the reason for the loss   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ChemPoint.com.

Interview

I sent in my resume and cover letter through my school. The next day, I got an email from HR requesting a phone interview. The phone interview went well; HR asked to go into detail about my resume and experiences. Two days later, I got an email request for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of a tour around the building, a job shadow with a current intern, and an interview with two of the managers in the department you are interviewing for. The tour and job shadow went well and it was easy to talk to the HR rep and the intern. The intern was receptive and answered my questions well. When it was time for the behavioral interview, the two managers were incredibly late and non-apologetic. One manager in particular was curt and condescending from the beginning. The interview mostly consisted of the managers asking about my skills and technical abilities and why I'd be a good fit for the job. The questions for very casual. After the interview, the hiring manager let me know she'd get back to me within the end of the week. The next day, I decided to peruse the school job listings, and found the same job that I interviewed for, newly posted. The poster of the job had subtly edited some parts of the job description with keywords from MY interview. Unbelievable. The qualifications were also edited, new qualifications in which I already met. The next day, I received a canned rejection email from HR. This experience was incredibly infuriating and ChemPoint is incredibly unprofessional. I would not recommend this company.

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Interview

Phone interview then brought in for a short tour of the facility and interview with two person interview team

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ChemPoint.com (Bellevue, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

To begin with there is no inside sales account position as they describe in the initial phone interviews. I was told there was a position with a salary of 48,000/yr with benefits. This is just a ploy to get qualified applicants into their office. In truth there is a "hunter" position that pays the advertised wage which is only available to 6 seasoned veterans drawn from the account manager position and senior account manager position they are really seeking to fill at a much lower hourly wage (12 - 18/hr). After several phone interviews and very helpful prepping from the placement agency that initially contacted me I ran the gauntlet of a tour, shadowing an employee and two back to back two manager 1 hr interviews. Yes, one hour each! As you can imagine with one hour to probe you the manager teams did a good job of digging up every aspect of your personality. The questions were intelligent and savvy with lots of why Chempoint? and plenty of background clarification. Everything is about image at Chempoint..... they seem to be trying to capture the dot.com feel with glass walls on meeting rooms and large monitors pumping out corporate ra ra. While I can say that the office is very modern and some of the senior management space has a nice view from the top floors of the building what the job really comes down to is looking at a panel of computer screens in a tiny cubical all day, making phone calls AM and record keeping with e-mails PM. They promote the "kitchens" on each floor stocked with drinks (off brands) and some small snacks. Sure it is a nice feature, but it doesn't make up for the fact that they offer those products rather than good wages. The employees I talked to made it clear that there is a lottery system for a space in the parking garage and with tons of meter police in Bellevue you can expect to pay 120. to 160. a month for parking a few blocks away until you win the lottery. Overall if you have just graduated and need some space on your resume filled this might be a good place to spend a few years, however, if you want a position with a future I would take your Chem or Bio degree and look for more growth potential. Oh and FYI, I have never come across a more intrusive application in my life..... Univar, ChemPoint's parent company requests that you submit to a complete background check including a credit check and strangely enough a drivers record check??? While I had nothing to hide, I found this request odd since I would likely never ride nor drive a company vehicle.

Interview Questions

• Give us three reasons you would be a better employee of ChemPoint than any other.   1 Answer

The offer was not as advertised. The "shadow" I was placed with was very competent with 3.5 years under his belt. I just could not see myself going blind in a cubical for three years @ 30K just to reach 48K and a parking spot.